Hyacinth ▷ Sam Uley

By illustration

❝Your mind can deceive you, Sam. You had this angelic vision of me for what, years? I'm no longer that girl w... More

HYACINTH
ZERO
TWO
THREE
FOUR

ONE

6.9K 301 101
By illustration

● ● ● ● ●

ONE; FIRST MEETINGS THE SECOND TIME AROUND

     HYACINTH CAN TELL when someone is lying to her. She started to pick up on these ticks and constant movements when she moved to her new school in Atlanta, Georgia, at the age of twelve. She wasn't very fond of the new environment, although back then, she was kinder than she should've been to the world.

     The first time she figures out these ticks is when she receives a love letter on Valentine's Day. An ignorant boy had approached her, insisting he had been the one to write it. Hyacinth could detect the falter in his voice, and she proved his lie with his incapability to pass a spelling test and the note given to her was written with no mistakes or errors. She later discovers that the person who had written the letter would be her first boyfriend, unless you count the boy she left behind in La Push years ago.

     And Hyacinth's mind had definitely forgotten Sam Uley.

     The second time she figures out that the world is not all it's cracked up to be is when her first boyfriend lies about why he's been cancelling all of the dates she's scheduled for them. He claims it's because of stress, but she sees the way he leans on one side of his body, fingers nervously moving together. She brushes it off until she finds said boyfriend kissing a stranger at the back of the school, fingers tangled into her hair as she giggled into his mouth.

     By the third time, she's built up a wall around herself to protect whatever bullshit decided to enter. She's on the last straw when her first girlfriend tells her that the relationship isn't going to work due to conflicts in her life, but later, Hyacinth finds her holding hands with a girl that she sits next to in her history class.

     All of these events prompts the idea of moving back to her childhood town when she graduates high school. There isn't a college too far from La Push, and it offers the major that Hyacinth knows she'll excel in.

     At first, her mother is hesitant on moving back to the town. It's the place where Hyacinth's parents found all of their problems in their marriage, and she isn't sure that she wants to relive them all over again. Nonetheless, after seeing her daughter's persistence to move, the pair begin packing up their belongings and prepare for the journey back to where Hyacinth was born.

     And as soon as she sets foot in the town, the news spreads like wildfire. Hyacinth didn't think that La Push would still be so small and quiet for rumors to take over the reservation, but she was proven wrong. The people were still enamored with any gossip they could latch onto and couldn't wait to spread it around.

     So even though Hyacinth's appearance was the new talk of the town, she also found out some things when she was gone.

     Samuel Uley. The man had not crossed her mind for years, and for a while, it took some time for Hyacinth to remember what he looked like. She could recall his shy expression whenever she would wrap her arms around him or compliment him. From what her mind remembered, he had always been timid around her as a child. Hyacinth contrasted his personality by following him around wherever he went, often singing tunes that her mother played in the kitchen.

     Apparently, Sam was living the good life. He was in a steady relationship with Leah Clearwater that was definitely heading for marriage.

     Hyacinth chuckled lightly when she heard about it. She pictured an eleven year old Sam holding a hyacinth flower in his hand as he asked her out for the first time. She couldn't imagine that he was the same man who was about to marry Harry Clearwater's daughter. Back then, Hyacinth really believed her and Sam would end up together forever.

     Christ, she was so naïve.

     "Will you go say hi to him?" Her mother asked meekly, unpacking the box for the kitchen. She was piling pots and pans onto the island, staring at her daughter.

     "Who? Sam? Why would I?" Hyacinth responded, dusting off the television in the living room. "I don't think he even remembers me, mom."

     "Don't be silly. Alison and I used to talk about you two all the time. Sam never shut up about you when we left."

     Hyacinth winced at the mention of Alison Uley. Another rumor she heard was about Sam's father, Joshua, who left shortly after Hyacinth did. She couldn't fathom how fast Sam had to grow up after that moment in his life.

     "Maybe I'll drop by the Clearwater's," she shrugged. "It wouldn't hurt to see Sue or Harry."

     She wasn't very close to Leah or Seth, but Sue and Harry were contenders to be Hyacinth's godparents until her father ultimately settled for his old college friends to take care of his only child if anything ever happened to him or his ex-wife. Hyacinth received a check in the mail from them every birthday.

     "Oh, that would be lovely, H. Sue would appreciate it so much, I know she would," her mother gushed, eyes sparkling. Hyacinth knew that the move was a hit in her mother's open wound, but if her mother missed anything about La Push, it was her old friends.

     "Here," her mother continued, pulling out a baking tray from the cardboard box. "We can test our new oven and make some cookies for them. You can bring it over later."

     Hyacinth opened her mouth to object but her mother was already preheating the oven, a smile painted upon her lips.

● ● ● ● ●

     Hyacinth's combat boots felt heavy on her feet as she trudged over to the Clearwater home. It wasn't far from her new house, but she really didn't feel like hugging or talking about what she's been up to since she was twelve. She didn't want to break the news to them, but the Hyacinth they remember was simply a ghost of who she was now.

     Of course, Harry and Sue didn't care if she was a changed woman. "Cinny!" Sue greeted, arms wrapping around Hyacinth's delicate frame.

     She hadn't heard the nickname in so long, and briefly forgot that Sue was addressing her.

     "I heard you were back in town," she smiled and pulled away. "How is your mother?"

     Hyacinth mustered a smile. "Fine. I wanted to come over and bring you these cookies."

     Sue took notice of the plate in her hands, and a smile spread across her cheeks. "Oh, how sweet of you! Come in, come in!"

     Hyacinth took a deep breath as Sue ushered her inside. She couldn't imagine how many people she would have to re-meet in this town, but she supposed she was glad that her first was Sue.

     "Harry!" Sue called throughout the house. "You'll never guess who's here!"

     "What's with all the yelling, mom?" A voice drifted down the stairs. Hyacinth's eyes widened when she took in Seth Clearwater, who was not the annoying little boy she remembered. He was now a teenager, growing at a fast rate but still embracing the boyish charms he was born with.

     "Oh, Seth, honey, I don't know if you remember, but this is Hyacinth Embers. She used to live in La Push, but moved away six years ago," Sue introduced. Hyacinth offered a tight smile and Seth shook her hand.

     "I'm Seth. It's a pleasure to meet you."

     "Did I just hear the name Hyacinth Embers?" Harry Clearwater's voice echoed as he came into view. This time, Hyacinth smiled genuinely at the sight of the man. Harry was the person who raised her when her parents were too busy fighting. Sue was the one who cooked her lunch and dinner when her parents were too concerned with their marriage to be worried about their child.

     She was enveloped into a warm hug, an embrace that she was oddly familiar with. Harry chuckled in her ear, and Hyacinth thought it was weird that she was almost his height at this point.

     "Hello, Harry."

     "H and H are reunited!" He exclaimed. Once they pulled away, Harry took a step back to fully examine her. "Wow, look at how much you've grown. Almost as tall as Leah, Sue!"

     "I know," Sue chuckled. "Let the girl sit down, Harry."

     Hyacinth took a seat on the couch and Seth sat next to her, throwing her a grin. "You must be pretty special. I haven't seen my mom this excited since my last birthday party."

     Hyacinth's eyes darted over to the kitchen, where Sue was still smiling as she set down the plate of cookies. "Yeah," she nodded. "I've never seen Sue this excited either."

     "Well, of course she's excited, Hyacinth!" Harry proclaimed, taking his seat on a rocker chair. "We thought we'd never see you again after you moved to Atlanta."

     "I wanted a fresh new start in an old town," Hyacinth shrugged in explanation. "I hope everyone doesn't remember me as that annoying twelve year old in a yellow dress who followed Sam around."

     Sue laughed, coming to join her family. "Oh, I completely forgot about you and Sam. He and Leah are out for lunch, but if you want to stay, I'm sure they'll be back soon."

     "Thanks for the offer, Sue, but I should head back. There are plenty of boxes that still need to be unpacked," Hyacinth smiled.

     "Then surely you'll be at the bonfire tomorrow night?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

     She had never been personally invited to a bonfire, but she knew of them. As far as her knowledge was, the bonfires were exclusive and one could only come if they were invited in.

     Sue seemed surprised by Harry's offer, exchanging a glance with him. Harry's gaze stayed on Hyacinth, eyebrow still raised in question.

     "Sure. I'll try to make it."

● ● ● ● ●

     Hyacinth didn't know what to expect when she saw the flames burning brightly at La Push Beach. She could hear the hollers of teenagers and the council members hunched over as they spoke quietly around the fire.

     She was ready to turn back around and go home until Harry Clearwater shouted her name in delight.

     "Hyacinth! Over here!"

     She silently cursed her predicament as she made her way over, chewing on her bottom lip. Her eyes scanned over the people sitting at the fire — Harry, Billy Black, Old Quil, and Sue Clearwater. They all offered her a small smile, and Billy extended his hand for her to shake.

     "Hello, Hyacinth. It's nice to see your face again."

     She gave her greetings to both Billy and Old Quil. She could remember bits and pieces of them from her childhood, but most of it was blurred. Her eyes looked at the rest of the people at the fire, before she distinguished one particular face.

     Sam saw her before he heard her name.

     She was more gorgeous than he could've ever dreamed of. Was it even possible for someone to be so beautiful? Her hair floated down her back, and Sam still wondered if it felt like silk when he ran his fingers through it. Her features were more prominent than when she was twelve, but her eyes no longer held that sparkle in them.

     Her eyes.

     Leah had noticed Sam's body tense when Hyacinth came into view. She leaned forward from her spot on his chest to gaze at him. Sam didn't even glance at her, his eyes transfixed on the woman before him.

     He saw it. He wasn't even asleep and he saw their future together.

     He saw Hyacinth's hair decorated in flowers as she walked down the aisle. He saw Hyacinth's bright smile when she looked up at him, engagement ring shining in the light as it rested on her finger. He saw Hyacinth comforting him throughout his problems and doubts.

     He saw everything he wanted — everything he didn't have with Leah.

     Her voice was angelic. Melodious, even.

     "Hi, Sam and Leah. I doubt you remember me, but I'm Hyacinth," she introduced, fingers out for him to take. He wanted to wrap his hand around hers. He wanted to kiss her in front of everybody, including the woman who was settled on his chest.

     "Oh, I remember," Leah grinned, taking her hand. "It's nice to see you back in La Push. What brings you back?"

     Hyacinth laughed. Sam's heart almost burst out of his chest. He felt like he was suffocating. "There's a small college not too far from here that I'm interested in. I have a full scholarship, so I figured it would save me time and money to move back."

     "Smart," Leah smirked. She squeezed Sam's bicep, staring up at him. "You alright, babe?"

     He couldn't do this. He had already run off once before, but this time, he really couldn't handle it. He can't be around the one girl who makes him feel like his life finally makes sense when the girl who everyone wants him to be with is speaking to him like he still loves her.

     Leah was patiently gazing up at him, and Hyacinth couldn't tear her eyes away from Sam's. He was looking at her like no one's ever looked at her before, and she couldn't help but change her direction of sight when it became too much for her to bear.

     "I have to go."

     And with those words, Sam left the bonfire in a hurry with no explanation.

     Leah was heartbroken, but Hyacinth was merely confused.

hyacinth!! sam!! loves!! you!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 29.5K 36
❝I didn't want to fear the demons of the world, so I became one.❞ ❝Dying hurts, turning was excruciating.❞ ❝Don't pass judgment on me like you're som...
1.4M 29.9K 22
"Sometimes I wonder where my place on this world would be, and I finally realized once I was in your arms, your hands laced around mine, my head rest...
14.4K 419 13
Twilight - completed ✔️ New moon - completed ✔️ Eclipse - ongoing Breaking dawn pt.1 - not done Breaking dawn pt.2 - not done
37.1K 1.1K 15
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 a hotheaded shapeshifter imprints on Bella Swan's sister. TW: LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE A/N: I do not own the twilight series or characters...