Scars That Heal (Dramione Fan...

By KatyaMorrigan

[COMPLETED] The Battle changed everyone, there was no doubt in that. Hermione was still returning to Hogwarts... More

Foreword
1 - Changing Faces
2 - Nightmares, Daydreams
3 - Attention-Seeker's Detention
4 - Psychologic
5 - Time Out
6 - Wounds and Duty
7 - Ink Stains
8 - Pain and Suffering
9 - Support
10 - Relapse and Rematch
11 - Hogsmeade
12 - Helpers Hands
13 - All Hallows
14 - Relaxing, Thinking
15 - Calming A Storm
16 - Velvet and Ink
17 - Seasonal Spirit
18 - Darkness Unfolding
19 - Flooded
20 - Sticks and Stones
21 - Broken China
22 - Treading on Glass
23 - Cracks
24 - Splinters
25 - Make or Break
26 - Leap Of Faith
27 - Light Breaths
28 - Fresh Air
29 - Facing Friendly
30 - Returns
31 - Careful Steps
32 - Folded Hands
33 - Hourglasses and Quidditch Cups
34 - Flipping Pages
35 - Into Town
36 - Updraft
37 - Soft Whispers, Soft Sheets
38 - Doodled-On Parchment
39 - Daisy Chains
41 - Owl Feathers
42 - Verdicts Considered
43 - Justice
44 - Hallowed Halls
45 - Quills and Questions
46 - Ticking Hands
47 - Clover Patches
48 - Flung Open Windows
49 - Crumpled Pages
50 - Old Endings, New Beginnings
About 'Scars That Heal' + Acknowledgements
Author's Notes

40 - Sharing Space

3.9K 130 26
By KatyaMorrigan

After that one day off, nobody had any inclination to spent much longer revising. Hermione felt her chest tighten at the idea of being unprepared come May, but ignored it in favour of her friends. The thought of her NEWTs was building inside her, and she was starting to realise that they really weren't too far away. Hermione was terrified of failing. It had always been in her nature to strive for the top spot, and after all her time in the Hospital Wing she had only just finished catching up with all her subjects. She knew that having a few days away from her studies was probably a good thing, but she couldn't help feeling a twinge at all the hours she could have spent on perfecting her knowledge. Particularly as Professor Feathersworth was piling on extra revision topics for those "with spare time", and she had agreed to do some more Support Sessions at the weekends again...

Draco had to keep reminding her that she didn't have to do everything at once, and that she needed a break every so often just the same.

"I'm not sure why you're so worried," he smiled gently, "You're back on track after the catch-up, and you're still getting top marks in everything. Which is annoying, considering we wrote those Herbology essays together and I still got two marks less than you." Hermione sighed.

"I'm not sure either. I'm as prepared as I can be, but I still feel like any time I'm not working I'm just wasting those minutes. I guess I've always been like this, I'm terrible at taking a break and relaxing."

"Does time with me count as wasted time?" Draco asked with a grin, nudging her with his elbow.

"Oh, go away, of course not!" Hermione laughed, putting her arm around him. "But I just end up feeling constantly busy and stressed even when I'm not."

"You would be a nightmare to live with, always working and fretting," Draco said fondly. "But I'd still like to live with you when we leave school."

"Ah, but would you really, though?" Hermione wrinkled her nose. "I never put my clothes away, I forget to wash up when I'm at home, my bedroom still looks like something exploded in there, and, as you say, I'm a stressed-out wreck. I'd always be asking for help and I'm really needy, to be honest."

"If I can put up with you now, I'm sure I can cope later," Draco said, hugging Hermione to his side as they walked. "And... I know it seems a bit soon, possibly, but... would you like to live together when we leave school? Because I know you still have all your things at your mum's house, and you might not want to move away yet, and that's fine, it's just I've not really got anywhere to go and I'll definitely get my own house and I'd like to share with someone, but if you aren't ready yet then I'll be fine, I just --"

"Shut up, I'd love to," Hermione grinned. "We'd need to find somewhere that's big enough for my book collection, though."

"If I've still got my inheritance by the time I've told my father I'm not marrying Astoria, then we'll have more than enough money to buy somewhere big." Draco said, a little bitterly.

"You sound upset about that," Hermione noted.

"I just wish I wasn't so dependent on my parents for money and things. I know they can spare it, obviously, but I'd much rather earn the money myself. I feel like I owe them something, and I suppose I do, but I'd honestly rather distance myself from them as much as possible now I have the chance." Draco said, frowning a little.

"As you said, they can spare the money. And you don't really owe them anything. If you really feel you ought to, then we can save up for a house together and buy it with our own earnings. I'm sure we could manage."

Hermione imagined what it would be like, coming home to Draco after work, cooking dinner together and eating in the living room. Maybe they could get a dog? They would have free run of whatever they wanted to do with their house. She could choose the paintings on the walls, the colour of the carpet, the pattern of their bedsheets. It was their future. And they had it together.

"I suppose I'd better get on with telling my father about Astoria, though," Draco said, "The wedding is going to be in early autumn from what the letter said."

"Have they contacted you about it any further?" Hermione asked.

"No. Just that letter. I haven't sent any sort of reply, so they must assume I'll come to terms with it soon enough. But what will I do if they do cut me off?" Draco said nervously, "I had so many Galleons in savings, and I had kind of assumed I'd have the money when I was an adult. Lo and behold, I'm now an adult and I'm going to risk losing it. I'll have to start from the bottom. Malfoys don't start from the bottom, they end up there when they realise they picked the wrong side of the war." He couldn't help snorting at his own joke.

"I'm certain that we'll be able to get good, well-paying jobs. At least, I'd be able to. Helping Harry has given me such a good reputation that I could probably apply for Minister of Magic and they'd consider me immediately. We'll find a way. We always have." Hermione slipped her hand into his and he turned and smiled at her.

"Well, I guess we'll do just fine then," Draco said, stopping them so he could lean down and kiss her. Hermione smiled against his lips and pulled on the front of his robes gently. Draco mumbled something, and pulled away.

"If one of the teachers sees us kissing in the corridor, we'll never hear the end of it," he said, blushing a little.

"Well, let's go somewhere else, we've got time. It's the weekend." Hermione grabbed his hand and tugged. "And I promise I'll take it steady."

"Thought you wanted to revise?" Draco grinned.

"I'm happy just to study you right now," Hermione said in a low voice. Draco's eyes widened slightly and he smirked slyly.

"Smooth. Alright, you've convinced me. Tower?"

"Of course."

They both practically ran there, hand in hand, giggling like children. A few younger students gave them bemused looks, and a few of the older ones looked at each other knowingly. At that moment, however, it didn't seem at all important. They helped each other up the trapdoor, careful to make sure nobody saw them go up there as it was the middle of the day and there were so many people milling around. The Tower was still their place for no-one else.

Hermione scrambled in first, helped up by Draco. When he emerged, Draco wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her into a heavy kiss. Hermione couldn't help but give a slight yelp in surprise, quickly muffled by each other's mouths. Her hands went to cup his face and hold him steady as she pressed her lips to his over and over. His hands trailed over her lower back, occasionally squeezing lower and making Hermione giggle unrestainedly.

She could feel something warm and bold tugging in her stomach, and it was that intense desire that led her to slide her hands to Draco's shoulders and press him against the wall. A slight gasp escaped his lips, and Draco opened his eyes in surprise. He broke away, raising an eyebrow and smirking.

"Oh, we're in that kind of mood, are we?" he said, voice low and slightly husky. Hermione felt a little shiver creep down her spine at his words. "Two can play at that." Draco hooked his arms under hers and lifted her as he turned quickly, dropping her unexpectedly so she was forced to almost fall into his chest. She clung to the front of his shirt, grinning, as he grabbed her behind and pushed her back against the wall. Hermione groaned and leaned back as Draco hungrily kissed at her neck and jaw, holding her head sideways with his thumb to give himself better access.

"If you leave any marks, Ginny'll never let us forget about it," Hermione murmured, hands fiddling with the hem of Draco's shirt.

"I'm very aware," he mumbled against her throat, sucking a dark bruise just below her ear. "You'll need to cover them up, then." Hermione turned her head sharply to look him in the eyes. They were still crystal-blue, but shining and bright. His gaze darkened as she pulled away from his hold, grabbed a handful of his hair and wrenched his head back so his neck was bared for her.

"So will you," she teased, kissing and biting at his pale skin and leaving several marks in much more visible places. Draco swore under his heavy breath, and looked back at her.

"I love you a lot, but you're going to have to teach me the spell to cover them or I'll never speak to you again," Draco said with a grin.

"You'd miss me if you did," Hermione said, eyebrow hooked.

"No I wouldn't. I'd have a lot more time to revise," he taunted, hands on her hips.

"Oh, alright, I guess I'll leave now then," Hermione grinned mischievously, heading for the trapdoor. "Have fun with your revision."

"Don't you dare," he said, laughing a little. Hermione turned to look at him. His hair was sticking up, his cheeks were flushed and there were little purple stains all across his neck. Draco's lips were pink and a little swollen, but pushed into a teasing smile as he took a step towards her.

"Oh, I dare," she whispered, lifting the handle of the door. Just as she looked away from him, Draco strode across the room and lifted her in his arms, making her squeal as the trapdoor banged closed. He pulled her into a tight hug, his arms holding her close and hers in fists on his chest.

"For goodness' sake, stay with me," he mumbled into her neck. She laughed softly, and pulled back a little to kiss him a few times on the lips.

"I wouldn't want to leave," she told him fondly.

They stood there, holding each other and pressing gentle but firm kisses against each other's lips. Nothing more needed to be said. Draco slipped his hand into Hermione's hair, tilting her face to his so he could look her directly in the eye.

"How on earth did we manage to find each other? I'm still confused as to how we both fell for such broken people," he said softly.

"Maybe we needed each other to help us heal," Hermione replied, smiling at him. "You've stopped hurting yourself, and I've not had nightmares in months. I'm still depressed, sometimes, but we're all a work in progress really. I'm just glad we both had someone here to save us." She kissed him, with more feeling than before.

"I love you a lot, Hermione," Draco said.

"I guess I can put up with you," Hermione replied cheekily. Draco rolled his eyes at her and kissed her again. "I love you too, Draco."

***

"So what's to be done about Astoria?" Hermione asked, as they cleared up from another Support Session later that day. The others had done their bit and had gone their respective ways, but Hermione had stayed a bit later to make sure things were in place for next time, and to talk to Draco a little longer.

"I'm going to write a letter," Draco said firmly. "I can't see any other way to deal with this without seeing my father in person, and I have no intention of doing that. I'll going to tell him that I was given no warning about this, and it isn't fair to assume I will go along with his plans a moment longer. Also, that I have a girlfriend who I am very much in love with an I intend to marry when the time is right for both of us. And she's a Muggle-born, and also, screw you."

"I don't think he'll appreciate that last sentiment, but that sounds great," Hermione giggled. "Do you want me to help you write it, or are you fine?"

"I'd like to write it by myself, but it would help if you could check it after me, in case I've missed something. I just want to make sure I do it exactly as it needs to be." Draco ran a hand through his hair, and looked up from collecting cushions. "Does that sound good?"

"Whatever you want to do," she smiled. "This is your decision, and it's something that affects you far more than me, so do whatever you like to make sure it goes OK."

"Great," Draco said, returning the smile. "I'm just scared I'll do more damage than necessary."

"There would be infinitely more damaged caused if you had to marry Astoria," Hermione reassured him. "I'm sure she's lovely, but it's not what you want. She's not what you want."

"I'll tell you who is what I want," he grinned.

"Ginny, right? Damn, she is pretty," Hermione joked.

"Undeniably. But I'll tell you who's prettier." Draco coaxed.

"Luna's cute too, I guess, but I'm not sure she returns your feelings," Hermione said, feigning nonchalance.

"Nope. You want to know who's even prettier and smarter and more wonderful than either of them?" Draco said, stepping over and putting an arm around her waist.

"Now I'm just offended. You're picking Dean over me?" Hermione said, wrinkling her nose and laughing.

"You're an idiot," he grinned, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, but you still like me, so who's the real idiot?" Hermione said, hugging him to her so she could feel his heartbeat. Draco laughed as he hugged her back, and his chest hummed against Hermione's cheek.

"I honestly think we're just as bad as each other," he said finitely.

"Now you're just tarnishing me with the same brush as you," Hermione piped up.

"Shut up and let me say I love you."

"You just did."

"Hermione!"

"Draco!"

He shut her up with a kiss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.9K 509 15
WARNING: Graphic depictions of suicidal ideation, self harm, and depression The battle of Hogwarts is over and students have returned to finish their...
633 20 10
"ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴄʀʏ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇᴍ?" ꜱʜᴇ ᴘᴀᴜꜱᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴍɪʟᴇᴅ. "ʟᴀᴠᴇɴᴅᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ. ɴᴇɪᴛʜᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪ," Draco Malfoy goes back to Hogwarts a...
228 7 8
Hermione finds herself in the wake of the wizarding war and hopes their victory means she can finally enjoy the peaceful life she has always envision...