Horizons.

By flora_styles

They thought they were safe, they thought they were out of the water, ready to settle down with their loved o... More

Horizons.
Horizons - Chapter 2 - Nightmare.
Horizons - Chapter 3 - Gathering.
Horizons - Chapter 4 - Speech.
Horizons - Chapter 5 - Fitting.
Horizons - Chapter 7 - Uproar.
Horizons - Chapter 8 - Capitol.
Horizons - Chapter 9 - Stand Out.
Horizons - Chapter 10 - Reaction.
Horizons - Chapter 11 - Repeat.
Horizons - Chapter 12 - Red
Horizons - Chapter 13 - Pumped up Kicks.
Horizons - Chapter 14 - Too Close

Horizons - Chapter 6 - Reaping Day.

153 2 4
By flora_styles

Horizons. 

Chapter 6. 

Harry p.o.v

I'm aware of the sound of fast footsteps and the slam of a door, I look to the right side of the bed and it's empty, the covers flung back, I get up just in time to hear violent choking that makes my stomach churn, I clasp at the handle but she's locked it, how on earth did she have time to do that ?

I bang on the door, and the horrible noise finishes, it makes me grit my teeth, I'm still annoyed she locked the door though, I'd rather be there with her even though she's only being sick. 

"Let me in?" I call as I hear her turn the tap on, a few minuetes later she opens the door. I watch her, she's pale and shaky and her glow seems to have vanished, she looks like she's sweating.

"Why did you lock it ?" I ask, she studies me for a few seconds opening her mouth as if to say something but instead she bolts for the toilet again , I'm not far behind her, she's sick noisily but atleast she aims right, she sits back slumped against the bath. I rest my hands on her head where she's hot and clammy, but she's shivering anyway. 

"Do you still feel sick ?" I ask a few minuetes later. 

"No" She whispers. 

"Well are you okay ?" I say stroking her hair gently. 

"Yeah, just a bit of morning sickness" She murmers. 

"A bit ? nerves aren't getting to you then ?" I say laughing slightly. 

"Hmm, I didn't sleep very well last night" She says. 

"I know, you were crying in your sleep" I say. 

"Was I ?" she says. 

"Yep, and you didn't want to wake up" I say, she nods gently and starts to stand up, I follow her actions supporting her even though she insists she's fine, I sit on the edge of the bath in silence as she cleans her teeth and splashes water on her face. She finishes and turns to me. 

"Happy reaping day" she smiles. reaping. reaping. I hate that word, the unhappiness it brings, I look at Flora she seems so young and vunerable, she's still just a girl really. I force myself to smile back anyway. 

"I think a happy birthday is more in order, I guess you weren't expecting to have this much fun" I say pulling her too me, careful not to squeeze her too tightly.

"Well, my birthday is always fun filled, such a great day, highlights last year were when I met you" She says running her hand through my hair. 

"I bet they were, I especially liked the bit where you said we could talk in the morning before slamming your bedroom door in my face" I smile. 

"Well, this time you're on the right side of the door, aren't you ?" She says grinning, kissing me as the colour returns to her cheeks. 

"I sure am" I say in the break of her lips being locked to mine, I stop after a minuete or so. 

"I was going to make you breakfast.. but I'm guessing you don't fancy it?" I stop looking at her. 

"Are you serious, after what just happened... I haven't eaten for a good... what ? 24 hours ?" She says. 

"So that's a yes?" I ask. 

"Definitely" She says. 

"Strange girl" I say pulling her downstairs by the hand. I make her a fry up and she digs in happily, I run back upstairs and grab the red box hiding it behind my back, as I return to Flora. 

"Where'd you go?" She frowns. 

"Oh here an there" I laugh.

"Honestly ?" she says. 

"Of course not, I went to get this" I say pulling out the box and opening it, the red jewel glints instantly under the light as it dances over the sparkling surface, I hear her gasp and pull it out, the smooth gold chain, feels almost velvety in my hands. 

"You like it?" I ask. 

"Of course... it's beautiful" she sighs. I stand up and move round the back of her, putting it around her carefully, the cool gold resting on her hot neck, I do it up carefully as she holds the shining ruby. 

"Girl on fire" I whisper wrapping my arms around her kissing her neck. 

"Thankyou" she murmers, she hasn't let go of it once. 

"Anything for you" I say, just as theirs a knock on the door. 

"That'll be your prep freaks"  I say going to get it. 

"Tell them I'm not here?" She complains. 

"Well that would be a lie, it's selfish to try and keep you to myself" I laugh going to the door and letting them in, in a flash of their bright capitol clothing, hair and make-up.

"Awh hello Harry ? where's Flora, big day today! are you exited ?" Says the pink hair one. 

"No not really..." I say.

"Oh" she says, That stumped her a bit. 

"So where is she ?" Says the blue guy. 

"Through there" I nod towards the kitchen. They bustle  through and it get's me thinking about how much time I could potentially have left with Flora, and then I curse them for taking the next few hours away from us. 

I stand in the doorway as they admire her necklace,but I think she's tuned out as she stares across at me, I smile back knowing I'll only get shooed away of I approach, they haul her upstairs and I flop onto the sofa, there's another knock at the door and I open it to find Lou.

"Hey mate, Sophie wanted me to come and deliver this for the birthday girl" He says. 

"Well good luck with that" I snap, being uneccesarily mean to him. 

"Woah calm down Curly, why do I need luck ?" He frowns.

"The prep team are already here" I huff. 

"Oh.. I see" He says, I ignore it heading into the kitchen to clear up. 

"Why are you so moody about it ?" He says. 

"Why do you think !?" I snap again sounding alot more harsh than I should have been.

"I don't fucking know, you're not giving me any clues are you" He says. 

"Look I'm sorry.. it's just.."

"Just what ?" He says bluntly. 

"I might only have a few days left with her, and... and it's her birthday I wanted to make it special, but the fucking capitol have to send their freaks"  I finish and Louis' smirking, staring over my shoulder. I turn around and the quiet member of the prep team is standing meekly in the doorway poised to ask a question, I roll my eyes and stomp off into the living room. Lou seems to be sympathetic after that, but I soon get pulled away by my prep team and, I find myself backstage at the reaping, I said goodbye to Flora already, and she cried all her make-up off, which meant our goodbye time got shortened so they could re-do it.

I hear Gregory introduce me and walk on to a cheer , I don't want to smile but I do, I scan the crowd desperately

12 year olds...13.14.15.16, 17, I search avidly through the girls squinting, she's easy to spot thought the only girl with hair her colour most of them have brown like all the seams people. She's looking right at me and I smile and give her a wink back. 

But Gregory's already onto the boys, His smile is so snidey as he delves into the boys reaping ball. 

"Jet Mirror!" He says, A boy emerges, no volunteering for him, I suddenly remember a letter we got a few days ago, another rule amendment, no volunteering, He steps from the same section as Flora, 17, he's small and pale with blue eyes and jet black hair combed back, he looks terrified but he acknowledges me as he comes past, I smile back, I know exactly how he feels. 

"Now for the ladies" He smiles, and if I wasn't feeling all over the place today, I'd swear he was looking directly at her as he draws the slip of paper from the ball. 

"Flora Hook!" He says there's a gasp. 

"No.. No!" I hear a strangled cry escape from my lips as the crowds part, I feel my eyes sting, They can't do that, even though she's walking straight towards me, it feels like she's running in the opposite direction towards death, I run forward shoving Gregory out the way and grabbing the microphone. 

"She's pregnant!" 

Continue Reading