Hidden Enemies | The Prime Ar...

By ldjwrites

The world has changed-forever. Still adjusting to their new lives, our heroes will have to uncover a dark con... More

• preface •
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
bonus chapter: victor
• author's note •
• book three | false gods - OUT NOW •
• also by L. D. Jones •
• graphics + extras •

seven

857 76 51
By ldjwrites

Chase hated wearing suits.

He didn't wear them often, but when he did, it was never for a good reason. The last time he remembered putting one on was for the funeral of one of his father's friends who died in combat.

He still remembered the star-spangled casket and the line of Navy officials paying their respects behind it. He remembered watching his old man the entire time, desperately wishing he'd never be attending his funeral anytime soon.

That was back when he spent most of his time wondering if his father would make it back home in one piece. Now, his father—who had retired—spent his time worrying about his superhero of a son.

How the tables had turned.

Stupid tie.

His calloused fingers fidgeted with the cobalt blue tie hanging from his collar. He couldn't get the knot right and his clumsy movements weren't helping. His mother was the one who tied his ties for him.

But she wasn't here.

A sigh left his lips. He missed his parents, now more than ever. Before, he had barely seen them when he was at home, but now he barely saw them at all. He longed to hear his mother's singing while she cooked dinner in the kitchen and his father's irritated groans while he watched his football team lose on TV.

But he had a job to do now. He was a part of something bigger than himself. He was a guardian. A fighter. The Sentinel. Atlas' golden boy. He was the team leader, the sergeant, the commander.

His father once had an obligation to protect and serve. That obligation was his now.

"Oh, I can't watch you struggle anymore," Stella, who was sitting on the edge of his bed joked. She walked over to him and gestured for him to turn around. "Let me do it for you."

"I got it, Stella."

"Chase. You have no idea what you're doing."

Scowling, he looked down at his tie. Or, what was supposed to be his tie. It was more of a jumbled mess of cloth now. Hanging his head, he faced her in defeat.

"Fine."

She grinned at him with that radiant smile of hers and went to work. He watched her fingers move swiftly across his collar. Within seconds, she had crafted a perfect knot. He furrowed his brows at her.

"There," she said. "All done."

"Why do you know how to tie a tie? And why are you so good at it."

She shrugged. "I used to do it for my dad all the time before he would go to work." She sauntered over the large mirror in the suite they were sharing for the day and touched up her long, chestnut hair. Her dark locks weren't in her usual braid. For the United Nations assembly, she had straightened them and let the silky tresses of hair cascade down her back.

Chase found himself focused on her entire being as she adjusted the straps of her gold, bodycon dress. The shimmering material complimented her bronze skin beautifully. The mascara accentuating her long eyelashes brought out the light in her hazel irises.

She practically had a halo hovering above her head as Chase watched her get ready.

His girlfriend glance at him over her shoulder and blushed. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

He shrugged innocently and smiled. "I'm just admiring my beautiful girlfriend."

"Oh, stop." She batted her lashes at him lovingly. "Just kidding, keep going."

Laughing, Chase walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her slim waist. The two of them stood there for a few moments, losing themselves in each other's loving gazes. His knees nearly buckled when Stella bit her lip as she looked up at him with her hazel, doe-like eyes. She draped her arms around his neck. Her fingertips grazed the hair at the base of his neck, soliciting a ragged breath from his lips.

"I really wish we didn't have to go to this convention," he said, his voice just above a whisper.

Grinning, she patted his face before letting go of him. "Me too. But we've got a job to do, Sentinel."

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

While Stella grabbed her white sweater, which was laying out on their bed, Chase went over to the desk pushed in the corner of the suite. After pulling on his suit jacket, he retrieved the sleek, metal device from the backpack sitting on the table before him.

Before leaving for New York, Archie had given him the latest version of his holo-shield device. According to the tech genius, this newest model was said to create a stronger shield and would respond to his neural signals two times faster than before; that way, if he was in a pinch, he could activate the shield almost instantly.

He peered at the pulsing, blue circle in the center of the silver wristband. He hoped he wouldn't need it, but he could never be too sure. The United Nation's assembly was a big deal and the topic of discussion was a touchy one. While he was fairly certain no one would be stupid enough to attack the United Nation's headquarters, he couldn't underestimate the capabilities of certain people.

They'd have to remain on alert at all times. Lives depended on it.

Sighing, he equipped the shield device and hid it underneath the sleeve of his jacket.

"How're you going to hide that thing?" Stella pointed at the sheath leaning against the wall next to him.

He scratched the top of his shaved head.

She had brought up a decent question. There'd be no way the security would let him bring in a twenty-two-inch blade inside. At the same time, he didn't feel comfortable fighting without his weapon of choice.

With a shake of his head, he dismissed the thought. He wouldn't need it. The assembly would go on without a hitch.

Everything would be fine.

"Chase Masterson is leaving his sword behind?" Stella gasped and held her hand to her mouth. "How will you function."

"Very funny, Stell."

Laughing, she sauntered over to the door and held her hand out for him. Smiling, he took her hand into his.

"Shall we join the others in the lobby?" Chase asked while putting on a, albeit grossly butchered, British accent.

"That was terrible."

"Yeah, it still needs some work."

"A lot of work."

"Yeah, yeah." He playfully bumped her. "Come on. We're going to be late."

Hand in hand, the two of them left their hotel room and made their way down to the lobby.

#

Chase stood on the sidewalk in front of the United Nation's headquarters. The building was a massive slab of decorative stone walls and shimmering glass. Waving flags from every country a part of the union surrounded the outside of the secondary building positioned to the side of the main structure. People in impeccable suits and dresses, all wearing identical lanyards with their pictures and name around their necks, lined the pavement around the building as they made their way inside.

He didn't recognize any of the politicians. Then again, he wasn't that into politics anyways.

"I didn't think it'd be this many people," Oscar muttered while fidgeting with the silver lighter in his hands.

"You know you can't take that inside, right?" Victoria told him.

He waved her off. "I know, I know."

Andre cleared his throat and adjusted his gray tie. "When do we go in? It's kind of cold out here."

"Yeah, no kidding," Stella add. She tugged her sweater tighter around her body.

Chase felt a shiver coming on himself. He took a look up at the bleak, grey skies. Had he not known any better, he would've thought it was about to snow. It didn't really get cold back in Oregon and all the moving around he did as a kid prevented him from getting used to colder climates. Rubbing his hands together, he mumbled under his breath about how he should've brought a better coat with him.

Director Shaw, clad in wool trench coat over a pinstripe suit, checked the gold watch on his wrist. He let out a breath and pushed his glasses up his nose. "Right now, actually. Let's go, everyone."

The group of teenagers followed behind the man as he approached the entrance to the building ahead of them. As Chase walked, with Stella's fingers intertwined with his own, he spotted Senator Alastair Crane speaking with someone near the front doors. He narrowed his gaze at the man, who was sporting a wide smile across his weaselly face.

Chase didn't even know the man, but something about that false smile and the sly look on his narrow face made his stomach curdle. Not to mention the senator was trying to steal his livelihood from under him.

For a long time, he had never felt like he belonged anywhere. He never had friends. He never had a purpose. But after getting his powers and becoming involved with Atlas, he finally had those things. He had a job—a job that he loved doing. He loved saving and protecting people. His chest swelled with pride whenever he thought about it.

If Crane's PRA went through, he wasn't sure if he'd be doing much saving.

"He's up to something," Chase muttered absentmindedly as he kept his gaze on Crane.

The man spotted the boy out the corner of his eye and froze for a moment. Something flashed across his stormy eyes—anger maybe? Chase wasn't sure, because the senator quickly returned his conversation.

"What was that?" Oscar asked.

"You saw that too right?"

The curly-headed pyro nodded. "He gives me the heebie-jeebies. Then again, most politicians do. You never know what they're up to."

"You can say that again," Andre added.

Stella rolled her eyes at the three boys. "Oh, stop it. You're all being paranoid. I still don't know why you all hate him so much."

"I don't hate him," Chase argued. "I don't trust him. And you shouldn't either."

His girlfriend pursed her lips but said nothing.

Ahead of them, Director Shaw cleared his throat and urged them to keep up. They had joined in the crowd lining up for the security checkpoints just beyond the entrance of the United Nation's headquarters.

After getting scanned and searched, they were allowed inside—sans the hidden blades Victoria was carrying and Oscar's special lighter.

"You better not lose my lighter!" he called out as they ventured deeper inside the building. He turned to Victoria. "If they lose my lighter, I'm setting this whole place on fire."

Stella glared at him. "Don't say that."

"Yes, mom," he replied.

Chase stifled a laugh. Stella quickly turned her harsh stare on him. He raised his hands in innocence and offered her a sheepish smile. "What? It was funny."

She shook her head and tugged him along towards the seats reserved for their group.

The assembly space was massive. It was easily one of the largest rooms Chase had ever been in. The wood-plated walls were curved to form a half-circle. Rows of long desks and seats declined as they approached the stage at the base of the auditorium. Faint, slivers of light struggled through the skylight built into the center of the ceiling.

Once everyone participating in the day's debate assumed their positions, a pair of security guards closed the main entry doors. A woman strutted over to the podium on the stage and tapped on the microphone. She patiently urged everyone to quiet down, as the assembly was meant to start in just a few minutes.

The room immediately fell quiet.

A bead of sweat formed on Chase's brow as he watched the president of the United Nation's commence the assembly. His stomach felt like a cinder block was stuck inside of it. He wasn't sure why.

There was nothing to be nervous about.

Surely the committee would realize Senator Crane's idea was a bad idea. The Prime task force operated best under the jurisdiction of Atlas—not the world governments. Director Shaw would make them see that.

Right?

For the first two hours of the assembly, his mind was focused on the PRA panel. It was the last thing on the agenda, but he couldn't stop thinking about it. What if they agreed on Crane's proposal? What if Director Shaw was forced out of Atlas? What if Chase and his superpowered friends became pawns for the powers that be?

There were too many variables. He couldn't keep up, nor make a prediction.

He found himself gripping the side of his chair so hard that the metal crushed like a soda can in his palm. Cursing under his breath, he released the bar and hoped no one would notice.

Looking to his left, he found Oscar asleep on Andre's shoulder. The latter was barely awake himself. He shared a glance with Victoria, who looked visibly annoyed with the boys.

He wasn't sure if he could really blame them. Had it not been for the buildup of nervous energy inside his body, he probably would've fell asleep too.

"Now that all our topics have been discussed," the president of the United Nation's said into the microphone, "we will open the floor to Senator Alastair Crane from New York."

A round of applause followed the introduction of the sly senator. Chase watched as the man waved while making his way to the podium. He shook hands with the president before beginning his speech.

"The last two years has been a particularly trying time for the world governments," Crane began. "From the rising rate of crime across various countries, to declining economies, to the arrival of superpowered individuals who wish to use their abilities for unlawful purposes. It is now, more than ever, that we need order. We need structure. Security.

He held his arms out as he smiled.

"We need the PRA. The Prime Regulation Act will serve as the shield between us and those that wish to hurt us. Kismet was only the beginning. Their leader, one of the Primes who have been terrorizing us for two years, wished to enslave us. I am sure there are more like him. In order to protect ourselves and those who inhabit this world, we need a way to combat them."

A few murmurs rippled through the crowd. Judging from the looks on the people's face, most of them agreed with the Senator.

Chase clenched his jaw. He found himself hanging onto every word the senator spoke—and not in a good way.

"If the PRA is adopted as official legislature by the United Nations," Crane continued, "multiple systems will be put into place that will change how we approached Prime-related incidents. The Vault, the prison currently housing these individuals, will be placed into your custody. Hospitals will begin checking for the Prime gene during blood tests. Those with enough of the mutation will be given two choices: register with us and be transported to a secure facility or be locked away in The Vault."

Oscar, who was awake now, squinted at the man. "He's basically trying to steal our jobs."

"He's not stealing anything," Stella told him. "He's trying to make the world a better place. A safer place."

Chase side-eyed her for a moment. The look in her bright, hazel eyes told him everything he needed to know. She had bought into everything Crane was saying. He always knew she wasn't one to rebel against authority, but he couldn't understand why she was taking Crane's side on the entire situation.

But he knew one thing. Once she had her mind made up about something, there was no changing it.

At the front of the room, Senator Crane continued with his speech.

"There are people who can lift cars with their bare hands, fly into the crowds, and spout fire from their palms. Atlas' task force, while helpful, cannot be the sole responders to Prime-related threats. Thus, I have employed the finest researchers and scientists at Zeo Labs to develop technologies that will further assist us in dealing with these superhuman beings."

Chase stole a glance at the nodding politicians around him. His heart slid into his stomach.

"The world is changing," Crane said. He leaned in close to the microphone before flashing his pearly-white grin. "It's time we changed too."

The assembly erupted into applause as the man left the stage and returned to his seat.

"How are you going to follow that up?" Andre asked Director Shaw.

"He's got it," Oscar said. "That Crane guy has nothing on him."

Chase peered at Director Shaw. He didn't look as confident as Oscar was suggesting. He kept pushing his glasses further up his nose, despite that fact that they hadn't slid down at all.

"You alright, sir?" he asked the man.

He cleared his throat and gave a him a curt nod. "No, I am not."

The president of the United Nation's returned to the stage and quieted the crowd down.

"Thank you to Mr. Alastair Crane for that wonderful speech," the president said with a huge smile. "You have surely given us a lot to think about. As much as we may not want to admit it, society is shifting. These...Primes are problem that we must address. However, we are obliged to hear the other side of the argument. Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in introducing Pearce Shaw, director and CEO of Atlas Industries."

Director Shaw stood up, fixed the buttons on his suit jacket, and made his way down to the podium. He shook the president's hand and forced out a smile.

Chase watched on from the edge of his seat, his eyes wide as he waited for the man to speak.

"The event in Alaska a year and a half ago was truly a world-changing one. People with abilities straight from a comic book page began to populate the streets. Normal, decent people were gifted with extraordinary powers. For the past two years, I have had the privilege to work with some of these people. They risk their lives everyday to protect the lives of everyone from whatever threats may occur.

"I won't sugarcoat this. The government cannot be trusted with everything. People have agendas. Agendas can lead to misguided decisions. In order for the Prime task force to run efficiently, it needs to be able to move freely. Under the jurisdiction of the United Nations, more people may end up dying than being saved."

He paused. The audience spoke in hushed tones regarding his claims.

Chase found himself nodding along to everything Director Shaw said. Their operation needed to remain under their control. They weren't perfect, and people got hurt, but they were still saving people. Their intentions were still pure.

If the PRA went through, he wasn't sure what their intentions would be anymore.

"I'll keep this short for you all," Director Shaw said. "I'm simply asking for you to all to have an honest conversation with yourselves and your governments. Senator Crane was right about the world. It is changing. And we should change with it. But we should continue to treat those who are different from us with the respect they deserve. I've read the PRA, and nowhere does is ensure the safety of those forced to register into the Prime database. It even proposes harsh experimentation on those placed in The Vault."

A few gasps rippled through the crowd. Chase found Senator Crane in his seat and spotted the sneer on his face.

The boy grinned.

"Your dad is kicking ass up there," Oscar said to Victoria.

She shrugged, but a small smile was present on her lips. "Yeah, he's doing alright."

Chase turned to Stella, who had donned a neutral expression for the duration of Director Shaw's speech. Her hazel eyes were narrowed as she watched him speak. He could tell her mind was working, but he couldn't decipher the code inside.

"Please," Director Shaw continued. "Think about what signing the PRA would mean for the grander scheme of things. Thank you for having me. I hope you all make the right decision."

He left the podium and made his way back to his seat.

The president of the United Nations coughed awkwardly. "Er, well, that has definitely given us something to think about. We will convene again a few weeks from now with a final decision on this matter. Today's assembly is officially dismissed."

As Chase and his group got up to leave the auditorium, he joined Director Shaw on the way to the door.

"That went well...I think."

The man smiled. "I think it did too. But it all comes down to the vote."

Chase nodded. The vote... Just thinking about the world's most important politicians final decision on the PRA made his head hurt. Sighing, he forced himself to be positive.

"They'll make the right decision," he promised.

Director Shaw stopped and placed his hand on Chase's shoulder. "For our sakes, I hope you're right." A frown pulled at his lips. His icy blue eyes darkened for just a moment. He patted Chase on the arm before looking past him and toward the rest of their group. "Come on, you guys. Our ride is waiting for us out front."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 160 48
HEROES AREN'T JUST BORN. THEY'RE CHOSEN. Until now, Johnny Sparks' life was perfectly normal - that is, stuck in college studies and always looking a...
1K 56 70
**Now 3 books in 1!** *Super Jerk (✔️): Sarah Campbell moves from her hometown to St. Louis, where she meets Blue Bolt, the town's flagship super and...
8.2K 807 32
THIS BOOK TAKES PLACE AFTER 'BLOG OF A TEENAGE SUPERHERO'. You don't have to read that book first to understand the events that unfold in this one, b...
11.8K 1K 40
When fugitive superhumans learn of a nefarious plot to create artificial life with unfathomable power, they must do everything in their power to stop...