A Servant for a Mate - Book #...

By TessaT

Book #1 in the Royal Secret Trilogy It all happened one night eight years ago. A few words spoken to shake a... More

copyright
Im only Human
Book 1 of 3
Chapter 1~
Chapter 2~
Chapter 3~
Chapter 4~
Chapter 5~
Chapter 6~
Chapter 7~
Chapter 8~
Chapter 9~
Chapter 10~
Chapter 11~
Chapter 12~
Chapter 13~
Chapter 14~
Chapter 15~
Chapter 16~
Chapter 17~
Chapter 18~
Chapter 19~
Chapter 20~
Chapter 21~
Chapter 22~
Chapter 23~
Chapter 24~
Chapter 25~
Chapter 26~
Chapter 27~
Chapter 28~
Chapter 29~
Chapter 30~
Chapter 32~
Chapter 33~
Chapter 34~
Chapter 35~
Chapter 36~
Trilogy
Chapter 37~
Epilogue
Mature Version is UP!
Pg or Mature
A Hidden Princess Finished
Read for Free on Ream

Chapter 31~

741K 8K 1.5K
By TessaT

Chapter 31 

enjoy

___________________

Laughing I shove Theo off the couch. "Shut up before I break you!" I get out between snorts.

For the past three hours I've enjoyed my family, including Theo's warm laughter. It would have been like old times if Nikolai was with us, but with how things were before my coma, I wasn't willing to chance angering Caden.

"I can't help it. Every time we utter that boys name you become all flustered as if you did the naughty with him." Laughing he rolls around on the floor.

"Mom!" I whine. Stupid Theo won't stop teasing me. "Make him stop." Grumbling I strike my foot out to kick him in the gut. Before contact he rolls out of the way. I hate how his reflexes have improved to where I miss each time I try to attack him.

Laughing my mother holds her hands up in surrender. "I'm not getting between the two of you. We all remember the last time I did that. Do you want a reminder?" Shaking her head she leans against dad with a wide smile on her face.

The one and only time she put herself in between Theo and I, we ended up disagreeing with her and ignoring each other because of it for nearly two weeks. My father had to sit us down and stare us down until we became uncomfortable and started to whisper to each other how freaked out we were. Leaving our room, we were best of friends once more, completely forgetting the actual reason we were mad at each other to begin with.

For the first time we were all able to sit on our own couch in front of a gigantic television screen. It had to be over one hundred inches long. We all felt as if we were at the movie theatre. It didn't help that moments after Theo and Taylor entered the room that six servants brought in an actual popcorn maker, candies and a cooler full of soft drinks.

Caden made not only my first date special, but my night with my family perfect. We haven't laughed and had this good of a time in who knows how long. With being servants, we were always working. Now I feel as if life has slowed down.

Maybe we will have peace for a bit and I can become accustomed to Caden's way of living. Having food at my beck and call, my bedroom cleaned by someone else's hands and free time to sit and relax isn't normal.

I wonder if we will have more nights like these. Will Caden allow me to hang outside his room more often? I know he was scared because of the first attempt and after nearly dying who knows how he will react tomorrow.

"Be right back, I'm going to head to my room for a change of clothes." Looking up, I notice Theo had spilled soda all down his shirt.

Had I been daydreaming that long that I missed him spilling it? Shrugging I bring my attention back to my brother.

"Are you going to tell us how your first date went?" Blushing I watch my mother giggle as she slides onto the couch next to me. "My baby girl is growing up. I can remember when you were in diapers and learning to walk and now look at you." Sobbing she grabs me into a warm motherly embrace.

"You know I'll always be your baby girl, don't you?" Smiling I hold my mother. We may have disagreed on my way of hiding from Caden in the past, but she never once looked down on or made me feel guilty and I loved her so much more because of it.

"Yes, I know." Pulling back I swipe the lone tear that dared to escape.

Leaning against her shoulder, I glance around at the small family. "Hey dad?" Details of that dreadful afternoon three weeks ago entered my mind.

"Yes sweatpea?" Leaning forward he smiles softly at me.

"While I was being operated on, I remember one of the doctors asking for a Lord David, was he speaking to you?"

Laughing, he stands up to retrieve a drink from the cart. "Yes, he was speaking to me Claudia. As of your eighteenth birthday, I became a Lord and your mother became a Lady." I watch as my father's eyes light up as my mother smacks him on his shoulder for his wording.

"He gave you status? Why hadn't you told me before?" They had a month to divulge that information. Why hadn't they?

"That would be because I told your father not to Claudia. I figured if you found out before you and Caden started to get along it would put pressure on you to push yourself into something you weren't too sure about. Letting you get to know Caden without knowing he gave us titles would guarantee you wouldn't have mixed emotions."

Contemplating her answer, I had to agree. I would have felt guilty for not giving him more. The gift of titles to servants is a tremendous achievement. "Thank you for keeping it a secret."

Hurried footsteps and a door closing brings us out of our little family moment.

"You would not believe what I saw," Theo sputters out with glee. He was bouncing around as if on a sugar high.

"Tell us what you saw before your head explodes and your blood ruins the carpet," Taylor mocks. Laughter twinkling in his eyes.

"Someone's mate is sitting outside the door looking oh so lost and empty. I believe that kiss of yours has him craving for more." Razing his eye brows up and down he points his head at the door.

"What?" He can't be serious. "Has he been sitting there since I left him there a few hours ago?" Why would he stay?

"Maybe he figured you might come out and invite him in," my mother whispered with glee.

"How would I do that if I didn't know he was sitting out there?" Walls are not see through.

"Honey, I know this mate business is all new to you. Being with your mother all these years, I might be able to shed some light on your confused mind." All our attention relocated to my father's. "He was denied you for eight years, to come to find out you were right under his nose. Right after finding you, a kidnapping happened and he feared he would lose you all over again. Instead of showering you with love, as he should have done, he caved in on himself. Figuring it would be safer for you to stay inside. Once that backfired and you nearly died because of it, he lost it."

"Lost it, how?" He looked normal today.

"During the first week of your coma he growled at anyone who came within reaching distance of the bed. Fear overcame him. Anyone and everyone was a threat of stealing you away. We caught him in wolf form a few times standing protectively over your body a few times. Snarling at male doctors and servants. His father had to come in and command him to calm down. I've never seen a man scared out of his mind like Caden. That man sitting outside your door is frightened to death that you will leave him, voluntary or not."

"I kissed him father, I figured that would assure him I'm not leaving." At least I figured it would. Maybe I need lessons on understanding men. I wonder if Theo or Nik would be up to the task.

"Oh my dear sweet Claudia. That man of yours doesn't want to be away from you. Sitting outside the door is his way of being close. As the servants enter and exit our room he receives a glimpse of you, possibly even hearing your musical laugh. Sadly to say, you have a pup nipping at your heels."

"Oh." What was I supposed to say to that? I knew he had out done himself with our first date, but I had no clue he would continue to vie for my attention.

As time went on, my brother popped in a second movie. Dimming the lights we sat back and watched as the characters played out their perfect roles.

For the first forty minutes I had no recollection of what had transpired. My mind was solely on the silent handsome man sitting not thirty feet away behind a solid oak door.

Finally making up my mind, I stand up and leisurely stroll to the door. My hand on the door knob I twist it before I can second guess my actions.

I feel my lips twitch at the sight in front of my glossy eyes. Leaning against the wall, with his head tilted to the side was my gorgeous prince fast asleep. Peaceful couldn't describe what I felt at seeing him.

Reaching down I soothingly brush my fingers across his scruffy cheek. Being this close to him, did things to me. Over the past eight years, not once had I come this close. Sneaking a quick look through the peep hole above his bed could on no account compare to this moment.

"If you continue to stroke my cheek, my love I will pull you into my arms." He huskily responds to my touch. "Not that I wouldn't mind."

"Why did you stay out here all night?" I murmur, my hand continuing its tender strokes.

Lifting his eyes, he stares me down. "I felt the need to be close to you. Being next to the door your behind gave me a sort of peace."

"You could have told me. I wouldn't have minded if you joined my family's movie night." Beaming I stand up.

"I felt if I asked I would be intruding on your private time.  With our relationship on shaky grounds, I decided to stay out here." Mumbling he looked like a lost pup.

"Caden, would you prefer to relax on the couch with me while watching a movie with my family?" I kindly ask.

I may seem calm and collected on the outside, but deep inside I felt as if I was naked in front of him. Baring my soul for the world to see. I wasn't positive, but I believe moisture was running down my forehead.

"It...it would be my pleasure." He beams with excitement.

Being brave I slide my fingers against his. Before I lose my cool, I pull him into my parent's room without looking into his eyes.

Reaching the couch I had been sitting on with Theo, I realize he vacated it to sit next to Taylor. I stored a reminder to thank him later in the back of my mind.

Freaking out inside, I try to figure out if I should sit next to him, skin to skin. Or if the arm rest was a better spot.

"Caden dear, would you like a bowl of popcorn covered with M&M's?" My mother breaks through my mind. Apparently I was taking too long to decide where to sit.

"Yes, please Christina. Thank you for asking." Taking advantage of our linked hands he sits down, pulling me next to him.

Sitting awkwardly for a few minutes until my mother decided to hand him a bowl of freshly popped popcorn. Before returning to her seat next to my father she leans down and whispers into Caden's ear. I strained my ears to hear her words, with no such luck.

As she pulls away, I observe her sneaky attitude. The wink she presents gives worries me. What did she whisper to him?

In the blink of the eye I come to realize what the answer to my question was. His strong rough hands tenderly pull me down to rest my head on the pillow in his lap. The sneaky women told him to feed me popcorn.

Blushing, I focus my eyes on the four family members in the room with me. My eyes widen once I realize they weren't paying attention to either Caden or I. Instead their focus was sorely on the television.

"Do you eat the chocolate with the popcorn or separately?" His velvety voice brings my full attention onto his smiling face.

"Together. I warn you though, once you've strayed it, you will be ruined for life. Normal popcorn will hold no status."

"Well then, I'm scared to try it now. I've loved my buttery bowl of popcorn since a little child." Chuckling he picks up a few pieces and pops it in his mouth, a moan rumbles deep in his throat as the taste of chocolate and buttery popcorn mixes perfectly together. "I'm ruined for life." He whispers before placing a single piece of popcorn and chocolate in my mouth.

Closing my eyes, I savor the taste. Movies were a rarity growing up. Once every few months the servants would get together in one of the gathering rooms and watch a movie. Everyone pitched in for the snacks and drinks.

"Do you know how beautiful you are when you smile?" My eyes flash open at his words. The smile gone off his striking face.

What do I say to that?

"While you were stuck in our bedroom after the first attack, I coveted your smile. During our meals, I secretly prayed to see one grace your beautiful face. Or the twinkle in your eyes." Popping a few pieces in my mouth he combs through my hair with his non buttery hand. "Today I felt my heart seize up each and every time you honored me with a smile, laugh and a touch of your skin. You may not believe me, but today was the best day of my life."

"I believe you Caden as today was the best day of my life as well." And it was. I couldn't remember a day where I had let myself go as freely as I did today. No worries or doubts. Only love.

"I promise you right now and here, I will prove to you for the rest of our lives how much I deeply love you Claudia. Each and every single day I'll demonstrate my loyalty to you and you alone. I've screwed up in the past, but no more. You deserve the best of the best Claudia and I'm going to give you just that."

Biting my lip I watch in wonder as he leans down and plants a soft moist kiss to my forehead. My eyes flutter closed as his words sink into my soul.

It was time to stop doubting him. It would only cloud my judgment. From this instant on, my sole purpose would be spend time getting to know the real Caden.

Secretly I couldn't wait for more dates.

________________________________

How did you like it?

So now that they are finally getting along should i distroy their hope?

Kill someone off?

or throw in a evil B!tch?

I wonder what I shall do..... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 248 20
~EDITING~ Book 1 of the Princess Series Claire was a regular werewolf, well she was the best fighter in the pack other than the alpha. She had beat...
3.3K 63 25
Aurora Daniels was quiet. She never made eye contact with anyone. Never spoke to anything. She was too afraid of what would happen if she did. Growi...
1M 43.6K 45
Brooklyn's family was devastated by the loss of her mother. The young werewolf now struggles to keep her family together while patriarchy and inequal...
17.9K 647 23
Lexi was once young, innocent, and perfect. She had the picture-perfect life and family to fit in with it all. She believed all those fairy tales he...