Against All Odds [COMPLETED]

By HeyShayHey

The story of two girls, from different walks of life, entering college as freshmen. Summer Williams, who spen... More

Characters
Chapter 1 "Summer"
Chapter 2 "Skylar"
Chapter 3 "Move in"
Chapter 4 "The Meet"
Chapter 5 "Mama Chelle"
Chapter 6 "The Carter's"
Chapter 7 "Team Work"
Chapter 8 "Party"
Chapter 9 "Danger"
Chapter 10 "Wait, WHAT?"
Chapter 11 Part 1 "Dance"
Chapter 11 Part 2 "Girl Fight"
Chapter 12 "Instagram, Really?"
Chapter 13 "Turn on The Lights"
Chapter 15 "Merry Christmas/NYE"
Chapter 16 "New Beginnings"

Chapter 14 "Christmas Eve"

418 31 9
By HeyShayHey

Summer

Next Day

I woke up & saw my mom staring at me. The sun is shining so bright in her room, and I don't feel like getting up.

"Maaaaa get out my face." I said turning away from her.

"Why can't I look at my daughter while she sleep? She asked.

"Uh maybe because it's creepy." I said. I wiped the corners of my eyes & stretched.

"Whatever. Get up I gotta tell you something." I turned to face her & saw a look of worry. I waited for whatever she has to tell me.

"I know I said everything is good last night, but it's not. We have until January 1st to move out because this housing is only for parents who have children not in college." She said.

"Wait what?" I said.

"Lemme finish. Apparently students who are in college means the parents have more money than they're putting on record, which is stupid as hell to assume, but that's what's going on right now." She said. She spoke so fast I could barely process it.

"So we have to move because I'm in college?" I asked.

"Yes." She said.

"So they cut our lights off because of that too?" I asked.

"No. The school's been cutting my hours so I haven't had enough money to pay the bill." She said. I nodded my head.

"So what's next Mommy?" I asked.

"Well Auntie Kelly said we can stay at her house until I figure out the next place we'll be at so I need you to start packing because we're moving today." She said.

"Is that why it already looked empty? You already had this planned?" I asked.

"Yeah but only a few days though. I know most of your stuff is at school so can you help pack up the kitchen stuff?" She said.

I nodded my head & got up to get dressed for the day. I only brought two bags with me from school & glad I never unpacked anything before I fell asleep. I chose a gray t-shirt & fitted jeans to go with my SnapBack & Vans .

Beyoncé

I woke up and decided to cook breakfast. Shawn normally cooks but since he's running errands, I wanted to make pancakes, eggs and bacon. Once I added the bacon strips into the skillet, Skylar was already rushing down the stairs.

"Good morning baby." I told her. She kissed my cheek & began washing her hands at the sink.

"Morning Mommy. What's got you cooking breakfast?" She asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I was in the mood since your daddy cooks all the time." I said. I added the finished bacon on a paper plate with a paper towel on top to soak up some of the grease.

"So you came in pretty late last night. I thought you were just dropping off Summer?" I asked.

"That was the plan but we decided to eat at her place with her mom." She said.

"Oh okay. How's Michelle doing?" I asked. I only met her once when she visited us with her sister Kelly, and could already tell she's a really nice person.

"I don't know if it's really my place to say Ma..." Skye said.

"What you mean, is it something serious?" She didn't answer back so I turned from the stove to see that she was on her phone.

"Uh hello, I asked you a question." I said.

"Sorry Mom. It was Summer." She said. I just waited.

"Ummm they're having some issues with the landlord at their apartment & now they gotta move out today." She said.

"Well do they have a place to stay?" I asked.

"Summer told me they'll be at her aunt Kelly's house but it'll be tight living there because her uncle's mom lives there too." She said. I thought about our guest house and naturally my instincts kicked in. I'll have to call Shawn about it after breakfast.

"Alright. I'm going to talk with your Daddy about letting them use our guest house since we have space to accommodate them." I said. Skye's eyes lit up.

"Really? That'd be so cool." She said.

"I know it would be for you, but that's if Michelle even accepts the offer." I said.

"True. From what Summer tells me, she's very proud & independent. She didn't even want to ask her sister if they could stay but because it's Christmas she had to do it." I nodded my head. I totally understand a mother's pride.

We finished eating and then I called Shawn about my idea....

Christmas Eve

Summer

It's Christmas Eve and as soon as we moved in with Aunt Kelly, we were moving right back out to Mr. and Mrs. Carter's guest house.

The fact that my mom said yes, of course after me and Skye practically begged her, was so awesome. I've been around Auntie Bey more times than Skye around my mom, so I'm already comfortable around her.

It's dinner time & apparently every year they have a nice family dinner at a restaurant in Beverly Hills and they invited my mom and I to go with them. It's suppose to be fancy, and since my Mommy and I don't have appropriate clothes, we're borrowing from Skye's closet.

"Auntie Chelle you like this dress?" Skye held up. It was a fitted blue dress with a low dip at the chest area. My mama is more on the conservative side of dressing so I already knew she was gonna say no.

"No it's showing the breast area too much action. Baby you have anything like a blouse and dress pants combo?" She asked.

"Ummm not really, but I have a few jumpsuits." She said. We all went into her closet and finally my mom picked a beautiful blue and gold one she liked.

"Ooooh Mommy you look so cute! Lemme take your picture." I said. She posed and I posted it to SnapChat. I already chose my outfit and we didn't need to borrow heels because we had some already. Thankfully Auntie Bey did my makeup because I actually looked liked a young adult instead of a 12-year-old little girl.

We all walked down the stairs and Auntie Bey & Uncle Shawn were already waiting.

"Looking lovely ladies, let's bounce." He said. We all laughed & got inside the car. I don't know why I assume they'd have a driver, but Uncle Shawn drove us. The valet attendant opened our doors & we stepped out the car. There were paparazzi like crazy, but once we got inside the restaurant, we were led to the back.

"How do you get used to the paparazzi? I felt like I was blind at one point." I said to Skye.

"I got used to it & I look down at my feet so the flashing won't bother me." She said. Inside the private area were familiar faces of Auntie Bey's family I've recognized from being a stan basically all my life. People in attendance were: Auntie Bey's mom, cousin, and sister Solange with her family. The other family members were Uncle Shawn's and he introduced us to them.

We ate & got to know one another & I really felt like I was a part of the family. There was no out of line questions asked about me and Mom, and my Mom just fit right in. This is probably the best Christmas Eve I've ever had, and I can't wait to give my mom her present tomorrow!

*****COMMENT, VOTE!*****

If there's typos, I apologize in advance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 701 27
Life as a teenager these days is a bit tricky. Its like a merry go around; you're up and you're down, going in circles trying to find your way out. Y...
28.7K 1.8K 27
Two mentally ill teens in a relationship. ~yana made this... (Don't take ANYTHING in this book serious or to the heart, laugh.)
140K 6K 46
Your favorite family is back to take you on an emotional roller coaster for the last time. Things are about to take a shift in the Carter household...
494K 15.6K 59
a romance story, led by BeyoncΓ© and Jay Z. inspired by Destiny's Child x Game Over.