Brewin' in the Boroughs

By 12YearsInAzkaban

"Race, what's goin' on? Where 'ave ya been?" Crutchie asked, eyeing the boy with worry. Race ignored him and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
NOT an update
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Another Not Update
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue
What Comes Next?
Sequel?
Guess What

Chapter 8

1.6K 63 111
By 12YearsInAzkaban

Jojo tapped his foot against the floor nervously. He clenched his fists, chewing his lip, as he watched the door. The clock across the room said that it was half past twelve, and Race still wasn't back yet.

None of the boys had ever been this late, at least without telling someone about it. Jojo had first gotten worried at eight, but everyone had said that Race was probably on his way back from the tracks. Jojo had accepted that and put the thoughts out of his mind until quarter to ten. He had asked around, getting more nervous as he learned that no one had seen him since that morning. He had been told that Race had probably just gone out with Spot, that he'd be back soon. Jojo had agreed, though it didn't put him at ease like it had the first time.

When all the boys had gone to bed around eleven, Jojo had stayed up with Jack and Crutchie who'd agreed to wait for Race to come back before they headed to bed. Crutchie had agreed to stay immediately, while Jack laughed it off at first. He wasn't worried, but he noticed Jojo's fear and said that he'd also wait.

Though Jojo was scared for his friend, he was also exhausted, and he found himself dozing off against his palm.

"Jojo!" The boy jumped awake again as Crutchie shook his shoulder.

"I'm up!" He said, rubbing his eyes.

"Barely," Jack said, patting his other shoulder. "You should get to bed."

"No, I- I ain't t-tired," Jojo argued through a yawn.

"Sure you ain't," Jack laughed.

"So maybe Ise is, but I need to stay up and wait for Race!" Jojo insisted.

"Youse need to go to sleep. Otherwise you won't sell good tomorrow," Crutchie said softly.

"But, but what about when Race gets back?"

"We'll stay down here and wait for 'im," Crutchie promised.

Jojo looked over at Jack who nodded, before waving him off. "Shoo, get to bed."

"Alright," Jojo mumbled through another yawn. "G'night Crutchie, J-Jack."

"G'night Jojo."

"Ya think Race's all right?" Crutchie asked after they heard the door to the boys' room shut.

"Ise not sure anymore," Jack responded, also looking more worried. "If it wasn't so late, I'd have all the boys go out lookin' for 'im. It's too dark now, it'd be dangerous."

"But it's dangerous for Race too," Crutchie argued gently.

"If he ain't back by two, I'll go out myself, how's that sound?"

Crutchie shook his head. "We'll both go out."

"No Crutch, I ain't lettin' you-"

Crutchie raised his eyebrows, sending Jack an annoyed look.

"Fine, you can come," Jack sighed and Crutchie gave a small smile. "Let's hope it don't come to that though." Crutchie nodded in agreement.

***

It was quarter to two and Jack fidgeted in his seat, wishing for the door to swing open or for it to be two o'clock so he could go out and look for his friend. His wishes were answered a few minutes later as Crutchie perked up, hearing the door creak as it opened.

A minute later Race appeared in the doorway, heading toward the steps, head down. Jack's eyes were immediately drawn to the boy's leg, which dragged a bit when he walked.

"Race! You're back!" Crutchie exclaimed, relieved. Race didn't respond and Crutchie immediately grew worried again. "What's wrong Race? Where 'ave ya been?" Crutchie eyed him warily, Race continued to ignore him, still limping as he headed to the stairs.

"Race, get back over here. Crutch and I stayed up waitin' for ya, the least you can do is tell us where youse been."

"I ain't been nowhere."

"Well that's an awful hard place to be," Jack rolled his eyes. "Stop bein' dramatic and tell us what's wrong with youse."

"I'm fine," Race mumbled. Jack quickly stepped forward and grabbed the younger boy's arm, not missing the way he tensed up. Jack knew immediately that something was very wrong.

"C'mon Race, look at me. What's wrong?" He asked gently. Race slowly turned around, keeping his eyes down with the brim of his hat casting a shadow across his face. Jack narrowed his eyes at the dark stain on the edge of Race's hat.

"I just had a run-in with a couple of guys who was lookin' for a fight. Ise got a little beat up. Really, it's nothin'."

"It's not "nothin'" Race! Youse walkin' worse than I do!" Crutchie exclaimed.

Jack grabbed Race's chin and tipped it up. Crutchie gasped and Jack's eyes widened as they got a glimpse of their brother's face. They thought Mush had gotten it bad...

Crutchie's face turned red with anger, his hand clenching his crutch tightly. "Who did this to you?"

"I don't know, just some guys, it's not a big-"

"Stop Race!" Jack said angrily. "It is a big deal! Have ya looked in a mirror yet?"

Jack pulled the boys hat off, put that only made it worse. Race's whole face was swelling, most of his skin had turned purple and black. His hair was bloody, either from cuts he'd received on his forehead smearing, or from when he had felt for bumps on his head with his bloody hand.

"Ise was bettin' the other day," Race admitted quietly. "Some of the guys weren't to happy when theyse lost."

"They was men?" Crutchie asked, still shaking.

"No, they was boys my age, maybe a bit older."

"You know where they was from?" Jack asked carefully.

"They mentioned Wakefield a couple times," Race responded, pressing a hand against the side of his head.

"Wakefield, ya hear that Crutch?" Jack said quietly. "Theyse from the Bronx."

Crutchie nodded, though he was thinking more about heading to Wakefield and hunting the boys down and less about what Jack had been implying.

"Let's get you cleaned up," Jack said, wrapping one of Race's arms around his shoulder as he helped him upstairs to the bathroom.

Crutchie followed close behind. "Hey, Race, you know what these boys look like?"

***

A few days had passed and Jack still hadn't gone to the Bronx yet, which had Crutchie annoyed and threatening to go himself. Jack really just wanted to talk to Davey about it to invite him along, but he hadn't gotten a minute alone with his dark-haired friend since they'd last discussed the idea.

Davey bought his papers in the morning, then disappeared as quickly as he could, never dropping by the lodge afterward. Today, Davey did come. Jack had convinced Sniper to invite Les over, and Les had spent all day begging Davey to take him to the lodge, he really had no choice but to go.

Jack smirked as he grabbed Davey's arm and pulled him toward the office where Race already sat for extra persuasion. Davey couldn't say the Bronx wasn't out of control while looking at Race's battered face.

"Been avoidin' us Davey?" Jack asked, shutting the door behind him.

"No, I've just been busy."

"Busy with what?" Race asked skeptically.

"Catching up on schoolwork," Davey replied carefully.

"What would youse wanna do that for?" Race asked, lighting his cigar with a match he'd stolen from the desk.

"So I'm not too far behind when I start school again." Davey eyed Jack, waiting to see his reaction. Jack just laughed.

"That ain't for awhile! Youse still gotta work with us for now!" Davey's eyes dropped to the table, but he didn't say anything.

"Alright Dave, Ise brought ya here to sees what ya think about meetin' the Bronx now."

"I still don't think it's a good idea."

Race let out a high laugh from the opposite side of the table. "You don't think it's a good idea? Well, if youse got somethin' better, let me know."

"Why don't ya like this plan Dave? Theyse out of control. Wese gotta stop it."

"It's dangerous Jack. We can't let them know that they're getting to us. I say we still ignore it."

"We don't have the choice to ignore it no more Davey, four of my boys been soaked."

"And that's exactly why we shouldn't do anything. The soakings will get worse. I can't agree to anything that might put Les in danger," Davey said calmly.

"Les is in danger either way. One of Spot's boys was soaked. He ain't quite twelve yet."

"I'm not going to agree to anything unless it's absolutely necessary," Davey said, though Jack could see the surprise etched on his face at the news about Slick.

"When's it gonna be necessary Dave?"

"I-I don't know! But there'll be a sign."

Race, who had remained mostly quiet throughout the discussion, lost it. "Ain't this 'sign' enough?" He exclaimed, motioning to his face. The swelling had gone down a bit and the the dark bruising had faded to greens and yellows, but he still looked awful.

Davey hesitated, biting his lip. "It's just... not bad enough to be the sign I'm waiting for."

Race shot to his feet, grabbing the front of Davey's shirt. "I'll show you a sign! Come he-"

"Jack!" The door to the office flew open, rattling as it hit the wall. Three pairs of eyes flew to the doorway where Mush stood.

His face was white, his hands shaking. His whole body trembled as he stared at the boys through wide, fearful eyes.

"Is everything okay Mush?" Jack asked the boy. "You look like youse seen a ghost."

"Ise got something youse need to see," Mush stuttered.

"Just me, or can we all come?" Jack asked, standing from his chair.

"All of you," Mush breathed quietly, his eyes haunted.

Race and Davey both stood up, following Jack and Mush out the door.

"There he is!" Finch exclaimed when they passed the other newsies.

"Mush! What happened? Where are youse goin' now?" Romeo asked.

"He's takin' us to see somethin'. You boys stay here, we should be back soon."

The boys grumbled at being left behind, but all agreed. Mush continued to lead them through the streets before turning down a side-street. At the end of that street he led them down a dark alley.

"What'd ya see down here that spooked ya so bad?" Race asked. Mush shook his head and stopped at a corner.

"What're we s'posed to be lookin' at?" Jack asked scanning the walls.

"Left," Mush breathed. The three boys glanced at each other nervously, though Davey was the only one to show it.

"You comin'?" Jack asked their guide. Mush shook his head frantically, his face had grown even whiter, if that were possible. He was now shaking so badly that he could barely stand, and he leaned back against the wall for support.

Dread pooled in Race's stomach and he smelled the air, his face immediately paling. "I'll go first," he breathed quietly.

He took a deep breath and turned the corner, taking a few steps before stopping suddenly, cursing almost inaudibly.

Jack took that at his cue and he too  stepped around the corner. He was much less conscious of his volume than Race had been, introducing a few new words to Davey's vocabulary.

"Dave?" Jack said hoarsely. "You need to come here."

Davey glanced at Mush, who had tipped his head back against the wall, eyes shut tightly.

Davey steeled himself and stepped around the corner, his heart racing, though it stopped when he saw what Jack and Race had seen.

"Jack?" Davey questioned as his own shoulders trembled.

Race had turned to face the wall, one of his hands behind his head, the other covering his mouth, his nose scrunched in disgust.

Jack too was covering his nose at the overpowering smell. "This a good enough sign?" He choked out.

Davey took a small step forward, his shoe landing in something wet. He looked down and flinched. "I'm gonna be sick," Davey gagged.

"Go ahead," Race mumbled, screwing his eyes shut.

In the middle of the alley was a badly beaten boy...

The boy was dead.

***

I'm sorry that was so dark, but guess what!!!

THAT'S THE END!!!!!

....Of Part 1. I was going to do three books, but then I condensed to make longer chapters and thought it would work better as 1 book with 3 parts. The parts don't really change anything, it's more for my convenience, but it's still the end of part 1!!!

Thanks for reading!!!
-Anna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 112 37
After living in New York for a few months as a Homeless pick-pocketer, Buckle, a 17 year old girl tries to get her life back on track and leave her i...
357K 13.7K 32
Summary || Plot "I was warned about boys like you." Folding her arms Moenice was getting hot under the stare of Theo's beautiful brown eyes. "Oh y...
6.3K 97 18
"Oh whatever. You could do betta than me, anyway." Race told me. It looked like he was only half joking. "Higgins, don't you dare say that. I can onl...
7.4K 300 47
PLEASE READ "Carrying The Banner//A Modern Day Newsies Story//COMPLETED" FIRST! You do not have to but it would help a lot. Finally, the strike is ov...