Oblivion (A Stiles Stilinski...

By _hogwartian_

"Into the mouth of oblivion I step. The sound echoing; like the beat of my heart. No turning back now, no roo... More

Oblivion - A Stiles Stilinski/Teen Wolf Fanfiction
Chapter 1 - Before the Storm
Chapter 2 - Open Wound
Chapter 3 - Just a Bottle of Wine
Chapter 4 - Risk and Reward
Chapter 5 - Ice Bath
Chapter 6 - Throwing Punches
Chapter 7 - Moonstone
Chapter 8 - Virginal
Chapter 10 - Nightmares
Chapter 11 - Warriors
Chapter 12 - Power of Will
Chapter 13 - Gone Rogue
Chapter 14 - Pure of Heart
Chapter 15 - Unhealed Wounds
Chapter 16 - Chaos
Chapter 17 - The Infamous Glen Capri
Chapter 18 - Flares
Chapter 19 - Amazing Grace
Chapter 20 - Taken
Chapter 21 - Currents
Chapter 22 - Burn
Chapter 23 - Locked In
Chapter 24 - Seeing the Whole Board
Chapter 25 - According to Plan
Chapter 26 - Adrenaline Rush
Chapter 27 - Breathe
Chapter 28 - Sacrifice
Chapter 29 - Distraction
Chapter 30 - The Move
Chapter 31 - Aftermath
Chapter 32 - Open Doors
Chapter 33 - The Coyote Den
Chapter 34 - The Beast Within
Chapter 35 - Trapped
Chapter 36 - The Mass Murderer
Chapter 37 - Light to Dark
Chapter 38 - Illegal Endeavors
Chapter 39 - Painted
Chapter 40 - Don't Tell
Chapter 41 - Sleepless Nights
Chapter 42 - Shock
Chapter 43 - No Interruptions
Chapter 44 - Pain
Chapter 45 - The Taste of Memories
Chapter 46 - Only Human
Chapter 47 - The Trickster
Chapter 48 - Gashes
Chapter 49 - Shadows
Chapter 50 - Escape
Chapter 51 - Silence
Chapter 52 - Dust to Dust
Chapter 53 - Decisions
Chapter 54 - Purple Veins
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 9 - Boxing Match

23K 393 111
By _hogwartian_

 Virgins. Someone is sacrificing virgins. For what reason, I do not know. But I am sure of one thing, and that's that Stiles and I are both most definitely still virgins. We've had so many opportunities to squander that title, but something always causes us to fall short. 

 I'm sure Stiles has been thinking about it too, the fact that we are in the same category as the three people who were brutally murdered. It's all my fault. We were so close that one time towards the end of the summer. There were no interruptions, no distractions, just us. Then I had to go and chicken out. I guess I just didn't realize then what virginity really means. Apparently it makes you a target.

 So, this poses the question, should Stiles and I do it just because of the fear of being the next human sacrifice? I mean, I want to do it with Stiles, don't get me wrong. It's just, I don't want to feel like I have to do it. When it finally does happen, I want it to be passionate and romantic, not forced out of anxiety.

 I thought about all of this as I poked at the poorly cooked grilled chicken Dad had tried to make. It was dry, flavorless, and nearly impossible to cut. Normally I do all the cooking around here, but after the past couple of days I've had, Dad's been picking up the job for me. As thankful as I am for one less thing to do, I wish the man could actually cook.

 People used to bring us over all kinds of dishes after Mom and Zoe died, mostly lasagna. Both our refrigerator and freezer were stocked full with food. Dad always refused to eat them, though. I'm not sure why. He would try and cook instead and once he realized he was no good, he let me take over. Eventually, Eric threw away all of those uneaten dishes. It was such a waste.

 "Not hungry?" He asked me. 

 I looked up at him from my seat at our island bar. He was busying himself by putting away the leftovers, though he might as well be throwing them out. I could tell by the dip in his forced smile that he's worried about me. Everyone keeps looking at me like I'm a ticking time bomb or something. Sure, it's been a rough week, but I'm fine. Despite losing one of the last connections to my mother, I'm fine. 

 "No," I lied, setting my fork down on my plate. In truth, I'm starving. I've hardly eaten anything the past two days what with all of the trouble going on around me. There's barely even time for me to breathe it seems like.

 "Is it because of Heather?" He asked.

 I held my breath. I haven't even known of her death for twenty-four hours yet. It still doesn't even seem real, like it couldn't possibly have happened. Then I remember seeing her pale and lifeless body laying naked on that metal table. The thought of it almost made me wish I could lose my memory again.

 Even though it hasn't been long since I learned what happened to her, this is the first time anyone's even said her name to me. It even seems like Stiles is afraid of how I'll react if he brings her up. I know he's just trying to protect me, but do I seem that weak that I can't handle talking about it?

 "There's nothing you could have done, Emma, and I need you to know that," said Dad. I hung my head, staring at my lap to hide the gloss in my eyes. "Sometimes things happen that we have absolutely no control of. We wish we did, but that's just how the world works. What we can control, however, is how we react to it."

 I knew he was thinking about Mom and Zoe when he spoke. For a moment I swear I even saw a glimmer of them in his eyes. I know he's right, but I still can't help but feel as though there's something I could have done differently. Maybe I shouldn't have left her in the wine cellar to go ask Stiles about what wine he would like. Or maybe we shouldn't have gone down there at all. Maybe then she'd still be alive.

 My eyes fell to the floor again as I fought the tears so hard it actually hurt. I knew that if I were to blink one would escape. I couldn't cry. I've done enough crying. It's time to set all of that aside and be brave. My friends need me to be brave. Dad needs me to be brave. Even Eric needs me to be brave. It's just hard to do that when I'm too scared to even close my eyes and fall asleep.

 "It's not right," I said, my voice fragile. "What happened to her,"

 "It's never right when it's someone so young," said Dad.

 I finally gave in, blinking and allowing a large tear to fall into my lap. It felt better, getting it out. "Yet it always seems to happen, you know? Zoe, Erica, even Matt, they all had so much ahead of them,"

 Erica's death has been even harder for me to accept. I know she and I didn't exactly get along, but she didn't deserve to die. She's been gone for so long I guess I just keep pretending that she's still missing. We simply haven't found her yet, that's all.

 "Life has a pretty cruel sense of humor, doesn't it?" Dad said.

 I huffed out my nostrils, forcing the corners of my lips upwards. I wasn't quite sure if he was trying to be funny or not. Still, I couldn't help but feel that what he said is true. It's like life has this way of giving you exactly what you wanted at the exact wrong time. But, sometimes, beautiful things are happening all around us. We just don't think to look.

 "I really," I paused, sucking in a breath. "I really thought it was over when we saved Jackson from being the kanima. I finally felt normal again. I wasn't constantly looking over my shoulder or jumping at every noise I couldn't see. I'm stupid for thinking that things could be like they used to again,"

 Dad sighed, pressing his lips together into a flat line. He walked around the island, moving to stand next to me. He rubbed a hand along my shoulder. His act of comfort and kindness made it more difficult to hold in the tears that have been taunting my eyes. I quickly wiped one away after it made its escape.

 "I know that this world we live in doesn't exactly make things easy," said Dad. He cupped his hand around the side of my face, his light blue eyes not leaving my dark ones. "But it has made you so strong,"

 I shook my head. "I'm not strong,"

 "Are you kidding me?" Dad exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. "Did you see yourself fight off that werewolf at the pool? It was incredible,"

 "She would have ripped my throat out if you hadn't shown up," I said, and his face fell.

 He looked around for a moment, either searching for the courage to say something or for something to say at all. "Emma, when are you going to realize that just winning battles isn't what makes you strong?"

 I blinked at him, unsure what brought upon all of this philosophy tonight. I wondered if Melanie's efforts to get him into reading have finally worked. He used to love reading, mostly because Mom did, but he stopped after the accident.

 "Back in my boxing days, do you really think I won every match?" He continued. "It's just not possible. Even Rocky fell down once or twice, but he didn't let that stop him. Every time I got beat, it made me a better boxer. I found my weaknesses, and I found ways to make them better. Life's just like one long and drawn out boxing match, Emma, that's all."

 His simile actually made me crack a smile. He would be one to compare life to boxing. Although, I kind of agree with him. You get knocked down and beat up, but you keep going, because making it to the end is what we're all working towards, really.

 He brought his hands up and around my face again. "So don't you ever again think that you're not strong. You've been through a lot, we all have, but we're still here, and we're still fighting."

 Suddenly, I didn't have the urge to cry anymore. That doesn't mean I'm not still sad about what happened to Heather, because it's eating me up inside, it's just that I don't need to. I don't need to cry for people to know that I'm in pain.

 If there's anything else I'm taking away from losing one of my friends so young, it's that life is short. Though, I really should know that by now. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. People you once thought would be there forever could be gone by tomorrow. Even people you never really thought you'd miss, like Erica. It all changes that fast.

 I know I don't want to for the sake of my pride, but I think it's time that I forgive Derek. He made a mistake, and the methods he used to try and fix it weren't exactly practical. Yet, much like Eric and much like Isaac, I know that he's trying. He's trying to be a better alpha and a better man, and I respect that. He didn't know what would happen when he killed Peter, and yes Eric warned him, and yes maybe he made the wrong decision. That doesn't mean he'd make the same mistake again. Whether I like it or not, it's time.

 "Emma," started Dad, a crease forming in his brow. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

 I looked away in guilt. Stiles and I had spent all night in the hospital, waiting for news about the other girl in the woods. I tried sleeping when we sat in the waiting room chairs, but something other than the Adderall I stole from my boyfriend was keeping me awake.

 "How many hours of sleep have you been getting?"

 Do I tell him the truth, that I haven't slept in nearly seventy-two hours? I don't want him to worry about me. I couldn't bring myself to say anything, so instead I just looked up at him with a plea in my eyes.

 He sighed knowingly. "When was the last time you slept?"

 "Three nights ago,"

 "Emma,"

 "I'm afraid to, okay?" I finally admitted. It was strange to hear it out loud, considering I could barely say it to myself. "I feel like every time I close my eyes something bad is going to happen. I feel vulnerable,"

 My anxiety was never even this bad when Jackson was running around as the kanima killing just about everyone in his path or even when I thought The Alpha was out to get me. I think it's because I'm not entirely sure what we're up against, and it scares the hell out of me. I'm supposed to be the one who always knows, the one with all the answers. Now I'm left with three deaths and no explanation.

 "No one is going to hurt you, not here," said Dad, running his hand along my disheveled hair. A smirk danced across his face. "I have a gun, remember?"

 I let out a small laugh. I know that I shouldn't worry as much as I do, but after everything that's happened to me, I can't really help it. Even being alone terrifies me anymore. What do I do when there's no one around to hear me scream?

 "You need to go to bed," said Dad. "Okay?"

 I nodded, forcing a smile. "I love you," I said.

 His face softened. "I love you too,"

 It was an exchange that we haven't done in a long time. I can't even remember the last time I told Dad I loved him. With everything happening so fast, I want to make sure he knows, just in case anything were to happen. I want him to know that I love him for being there for me all this time. I would never have made it through Mom and Zoe's deaths without him.

 He leaned in and kissed the top of my head. "Now, get some sleep," 

 "Let me help you clean up first," I said.

 "Emma,"

 "Then I'll go straight to bed," I bargained. Normally a teenager would run to their room at the order of being told to go to sleep, not beg to help clean up after dinner. Then again, normal teenagers haven't gone through the same things I have. I just want to spend a little extra time with Dad, something I haven't been able to do since school started up again.

 He didn't look quite happy with letting me go any longer without sleep, but he didn't argue. I hopped off the bar stool and dumped what was left on my plate into the trash. Then I went to work on washing the dishes in the sink.

 This was kind of how it used to be. Mom would cook dinner, then Dad would put away the leftovers and take out the trash while Eric and I did the dishes. I would wash and he would dry, then Zoe would always want to help put them away, but the cabinets were to high for her to reach. I wish Eric could have been here for our meal, but he had to help Derek get Boyd and Cora calmed down.

 I scrubbed the pan Dad cooked the chicken on while he pulled out the trash. He flicked on the backyard light before walking out to put the bag on our larger bin that he carries to the front of the driveway once a week. I rolled my eyes when I noticed he left the back door open. Mom always used to harp at him for that.

 A dog started barking from the house next door. There was something else faint in the background. It almost sounded like...chanting. Then, I froze as all of the lights in the house flickered on and off. I turned off the faucet and dried my hands, taking a few steps back. There was a loud clinking from outside the house, like the sound of the garbage hitting the ground.

 I moved towards the door, stepping outside and looking around. "Dad?" I called out. My ears picked up on what sounded like a tin can banging against cement. The sound stopped and something hit my just sock-covered foot. I looked down to see an empty can of vegetables resting next to me.

 "Dad?" I called again, this time with worry in my voice. The chanting had gotten louder. I had to be imagining it. 

 I tip-toed down the small walkway that bordered the side of our house. I jumped when the lights flickered again. My heart was beating so loud I'm surprised Eric hasn't run home yet. It nearly stopped, however, when I saw the bag of trash on the ground just a short distance from the bin. It had gotten ripped open at the top and its contents were spilling out. 

 The chanting that I had been hearing faded out. I was surrounded by complete and utter silence. I looked around again, turning every which and way to make sure he wasn't just messing with me or something. He had to be here.

 "Dad?" I called out. No response. My heart began racing again. "Dad?!"

 I ran around the entire perimeter of the house, but he was nowhere. I ran back inside, not even bothering to shut the back door. "Dad?" I said, searching every single room. I pulled back curtains, popped into closets, I even checked under the beds. He was gone.

 Panic began to set in. I tried not to think about the possible scenarios that were trying to break through the barrier in my mind. I couldn't think about them, because not a single one would have a happy ending. 

 With shaking hands and raspy breaths, I pulled out my phone and called 911. I explained to them, in between my large breaths, that I heard a disturbance outside and now my father has disappeared. I was surprised they could understand me with how much I was beginning to hyperventilate. 

 I couldn't even try to come up with an optimistic reason for Dad's disappearance. There was none. He wouldn't just run off like that, and with the chanting and flickering lights, this isn't some kind of pedestrian kidnapping. 

 There's no doubt in my mind that this is something supernatural, and the thought itself was enough to run me into the bathroom just in time to reach the toilet before I could throw up all over the floor.

 ☀

 I sat on the sofa in the living room, shaking my leg and wringing my hands together. I just finished explaining to Sheriff Stilinski what happened. Although, I chose to leave out the parts about the chanting and flickering lights. The Sheriff's department is all about practicality. If my story sounds at all far fetched, it will be placed on the back burner, and I need them to find Dad within the next ten minutes if I want to stay sane.

 The same deputy that was with the Sheriff when they told me about Heather at school kept staring at me with narrowed eyes. I know that I am probably their number one suspect right now. I don't really blame them for thinking that. I have been caught at the scene of two disappearances and a murder. That doesn't exactly scream innocence. But if they think that I would ever want to hurt one of my childhood friends or my own father, then they're out of their damn minds.

 I can't lose Dad too. If anything happens to him, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to recover. All I can do is pray that Mom and Zoe are looking after him. I have to believe that they will protect him just as they have with me all this time.

 "Emma,"

 I looked up to find the source of my name. My heart jumped into my throat when I saw Stiles looking around, his hand still on the doorknob. He spotted me, wasting no time in coming over to where I had been talking with his father. I got to my feet and met him halfway, letting him wrap his arms around me tighter than I think he ever has before.

 Sobs broke through the hold that I had put up against them in order to make it through giving the police my statement. I balled up his shirt in my fists, crying hard into his shoulder. It was like all of the tears I've been forcing myself to keep under control surfaced all at once. My knees went weak and I would have fallen to the ground had it not been for his firm grip around my middle.

 "They have to find him," I said, my voice muffled by both my sobs and Stiles' shoulder. "Please, they have to find him,"

 "They will, okay?" Stiles said, rubbing circles onto my back.

 "They have to find him alive," I said. Saying it out loud didn't feel as bad as thinking it to myself, for some reason. My body relaxed and my sobs turned into slowly falling tears. 

 Stiles pulled back, still holding me by my shoulders. He wiped the tears from underneath my eyes. I wondered if he was thinking about the dark circles underneath them. They aren't going to get any better. Any chance I had of falling asleep tonight has been diminished.

 "Emma,"

 I turned my head to see Eric the one walk through the door. Stiles dropped his grip on me as I ran into my brother's arms. My tears started again just as soon as they had stopped. "They took him," I whispered into his chest.

 "Who? The alphas?" He asked, his voice quiet so that the deputies searching around the house couldn't hear our conversation.

 For a moment I did consider the possibility of the Alpha Pack being the ones to kidnap Dad, but it just didn't add up. What would they want with him anyways? I don't even think they know I exist, so what motive is there to take my father?

 "No," I said. I pulled my head off of my brother's chest, looking him dead in the eyes. "But that's the thing, Eric, I don't know who,"

 Someone or something is responsible for the three murders of the virgins, and someone or something is responsible for the disappearance of my father. Whether or not these two someones or somethings are the same, I do not know. But if I do know one thing for sure, it's that when I figure it out, I'm going to kill them. Because no one lays a finger on my father.

---------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading!

Well, I'm not going to say much about this chapter....

Emma's outfit in the external link, per usual ---------->

Thanks again and don't forget to comment, vote, and follow!

GIF not mine.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

-Alyssa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 49.1K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
573K 12.8K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.1M 34.3K 35
Names on a list with a price were all they were. Humanity was pushed out of importance; the lure of money lingering overhead. The weaponry increased...
620K 37.8K 102
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...