HUMAN

By LovelyLoopyKari

All her life Katrina knew she was a little different and all she wanted was to fit in. But it was harder to a... More

Catch A Falling Star
Chapter ONE
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter NINE
Chapter TEN
Chapter ELEVEN
Chapter TWELVE
Chapter THIRTEEN
Chapter FOURTEEN
Chapter FIFTEEN
Chapter SIXTEEN
Chapter SEVENTEEN
Chapter EIGHTEEN
Chapter NINETEEN
Chapter TWENTY
Chapter TWENTY TWO
Chapter TWENTY THREE
Chapter TWENTY FOUR
Chapter TWENTY FIVE
Chapter TWENTY SIX
Chapter TWENTY SEVEN
Chapter TWENTY EIGHT
Chapter TWENTY NINE
Chapter THIRTY
Chapter THIRTY ONE

Chapter TWENTY ONE

6.7K 278 9
By LovelyLoopyKari

Chapter TWENTY ONE

_______________________

Kat's POV

In the morning I still didn't have a reply from Colin and an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. Had I been too cold? Maybe, but I had too.

I wanted the week to be over, I wanted to go home and be back with Colin. Hanging out and just enjoying the time I got to spend with him. I missed him so unbelievably much that it was crazy to me, I missed who I was when I was with him.

My phone was face up as I patted around the room trying to get ready for the day, it was easier now without the cast and I was happier about that. Well I guess Happier wouldn't be the right word to say. I wasn't all that happy about anything the past few days.

Forcing myself to leave the phone on the table I made my way into the kitchen where the rest of family was.

"How's the leg?" Chris asked taking a sip from his orange juice.

"Okay." I shrugged and grabbed a pancake. I could feel eyes on me but I refused to look at any of them as I kept my eyes trained on my plate. I could already tell today was going to be one long day.

"Have you heard from your friends?" Gran asked. I froze for a moment before I shook my head not trusting myself enough to speak.

Colin was busy. I'd been avoiding him for the past week, it's only fair that he ignore me too. I just missed him, so much. I let out a small sigh that they all heard and I felt Hannah scoot closer to me.

"It's going to be alright." My mother said and I could tell that she was smiling from the perkiness in her voice. "Our house will be fixed in a few days and until then we have much to do. Chris needs to finish up the 'unbeatable' level of his game, Tommy has a few more things to beat Peter at before we leave, Hannah needs to practice hair and makeup on Bella and Lauren, and my Kat needs to learn how to walk again."

Laughter rang around the table and was surprised when a smile stretched across my lips as well. "First," Chris stretched, "I need a run, anyone else?"

Hannah and Tommy both jumped up, the three of them laughing and chatting happily as they left through the back door. My eyes watched them leave and I felt a sadness in my stomach. They were always going to have that to do together and I'd have to accept that I'd never be able to participate in that kind of thing.

"They're just restless." My Gran spoke softly as she gently placed her hand on mine. I nodded and looked down again. Maybe I was more dramatic lately, I've never been this dramatic before...

My Grandad walked in and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Good morning Katrina."

"Good morning." I mumbled with a bored tone.

"How about Gran and I take you out today?" He offered, "Anything you'd like."

I gave him a half hearted smile, "Okay." His eyes crinkled and the warm smile that I loved spread across his face.

"Go get dressed dear, we'll leave when you're ready." Gran smiled and I stood up not saying anything as I left the room. I changed quickly only sparring one glance at the phone that held no messages from the only person I wanted to talk too.

As I was making my way into the kitchen I could hear the whispers from my parents and grandparents. I paused so I could hear what they were saying but thanks to my families unnaturally wonderful hearing, they heard me coming.

"Ready." I forced a cheery tone, which no one bought, as I stepped into the room.

"Let's go then." Grandad put his arm around my shoulder and lead me to the car. It felt weird leaving home without my phone but I couldn't spend all day obsessing over whether or not he called or texted.

Turns out hanging out with my grandparents was a wonderful distraction. They bought me anything I wanted and lots of things I didn't want nor need. It was a wonderful feeling of being cared for, adored even.
On our way home I started to come down from the feelings that I'd been having while I was with my grandparents. The feeling of missing something, a part of me, Colin. Huh, how did I come to lean on him so much?

"Did you have a nice day Kat?" Gran asked, throwing me a smile over her shoulder from the passenger's seat.

"Yes, thank you Gran." I gave her one of my signature tiny smiles. The kind that doesn't reach my eyes and I don't get that warm feeling in my gut.

"Come visit us anytime, especially when you live in New York." She laughed, "We'd come visit but..."

"I get it." I smiled again, "Mom's the same way, she could barely handle it."

Grandad laughed, "She lasted longer than we thought. She's strong your mom." He told me just as we pulled into the driveway. My mother coming out of the house, running to the car door her eyes wide with concern.

"Hey, I need to ask you guys something." She spoke to them quickly and then looked at me, "Can you go inside and help your brothers with dinner?"

I didn't question her, she was already anxious and if it was for me to know, she'd tell me. I hopped out of the car and was halfway up the walkway when I turned around, "Should I bring in the bags?"

"No dear, we'll get them." Gran smiled.

Shrugging I turned around and continued my way into the house. Once I was at the door way I could smell the burning of something and I hear my brothers arguing angrily.

"I told you, you need to watch those." Chris growled, "Just like I told you to watch her."

"I had practice you dumbass." Tommy hissed back at him, "Besides she's fine, Colin saved her."

"Yeah, well at least she has Colin looking out for her." Chris retorted and then paused, "Do you think..."

"Shh." Tommy hushed him quickly as the door slammed behind me. "Kat?" He called.

"Hey." I greeted with my bored tone as I walked into the kitchen, "It smells like something is burning."

"That's because Tommy can't keep an eye on anything." Chris smiled at me but anger flashed in his eyes.

"I think Tommy keeps an eye on things fine." I shrugged and I caught Tommy's eyes.

He grinned at me and nudged Chris in the side. "See, she appreciates me."

Chris rolled his eyes and stirred something on the stove, "I'm going to go to my room." I told them as I started for the hall.

"What about dinner?" Chris asked as he and Tommy both froze.

"I'm not hungry, big lunch." I nodded to them and then left before they could question me any further. In my room I went straight to my phone and sighed as I stared at the black screen, afraid to look at it in case he sent something. Or he didn't.

Plucking up the courage I lit up the screen to see that I had, in fact, got a text message but not from Colin. From Spencer.

How Grandma's? Feeding you well?

I could feel the disappointment rock through my body as I read the text.

Good. Feeding me excellent. Wouldn't believe the food.

Placing my phone back on the table I crawled into bed and felt myself succumb to the tears I'd been trying to keep at bay. The ache in my chest grew larger and I tried to keep it together, I tried to fix myself but I couldn't. I just couldn't.

_________________________

Colin's POV

I had to finish this. I had too.

I picked up the nail gun and stared at the new sheetrock, it was a lot harder than I thought, fixing a house. I've been at it since I'd gotten the text from Kat, she missed me and I missed her so getting the house done earlier than expected which would bring her home soon.

At this point I'd do anything to see her. I thought about driving the six hours to see her and I was nearly going to when I decided that this needed to be done. So she'd come home.

Going on 24 hours now I sat down on the floor to take a breather. I wouldn't really call it a break because I didn't want to take breaks, I wanted this done as soon as possible. Just a few more things Colin, then you can stop. Come on.

Standing up I swayed, grabbing the nail gun again I lifted another piece of sheetrock to hang on the wall. I was struggling with it when I heard someone behind me, the smell instantly attacked my nose and I growled.

"What are you doing here?"

"I saw the light on and was wondering who was in here." He shrugged, "Need help?"

"No." I growled and dropped the board. "Go home Spenc."

"Come on Colin, no hard feelings. Okay?" He asked as he came closer to me, "You know that she could be mine."

"Yeah but I don't particularly like the feeling that gives me so.." I gritted my teeth as I watch him.

He smirked, "That sucks because I think we'd be perfect together."

I growled, "I swear Spenc, stop. She's much too..." I shook my head at the forming picture of Spencer and Kat together. I hated the idea and it was making me sick to think about.

"She's said that she was really enjoying her grandparents. The food is supposedly unbelieveable." Spencer told me a smirk stretching across his lips.

"You talked to her?" I asked my heart thudding unevenly while a cold sweat shot around my body.

"Yeah." He nodded pulling out his phone and looking at me, "Um an hour ago? Hasn't she talked to you?"

"Of course she has." I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. I hadn't heard from her today, but I'd been so busy with trying to finish the house for her that I hadn't stop to see how she was doing.

I struggled with the heavy piece of sheetrock for a moment before it slipped out of my hands. I growled and shoved myself away from the almost finished wall. One more piece and the room would be done.

"Look I'm really trying to finish this." I gestured around the room as I turned to face him again, "I haven't stopped since I got started so I'm a little weak from hunger so if you would."

"Help you?" Spencer laughed as he stepped forward to help with the last piece. "Of course you're my bro."

Rolling my eyes I picked up the nail gun, "Yeah. Bro." I mean if he wasn't trying to take the girl I was hoping was my mate, I'd have no problem with my cousin.

He smiled but didn't say anything, already guessing where my thoughts were.

An hour and a half later we were eating pizza in the their kitchen, Spencer laughing about something stupid on his phone while I looked at my message less screen. She hadn't texted me since the 'I miss you' text. Granted I hadn't texted her either but I'd been busy.

What if they were still texting? What if...

Shaking my head I pushed away from the table and went across the room, pacing. Spencer looked up at me, "Hey, maybe you should get some sleep. You look dead tired."

"Yeah. Yeah." I nodded, "I'm going to go home, you?"

"Mmm." He nodded and picked up the pizza box. "Want to run together?"

"Naw, I'm just going to go home and sleep." I told him as I paused to lock the front door, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sure." He nodded while throwing the box away and taking off into the woods without looking back at me. I hopped into the car and started the engine I backed out as I watched the house, my chest becoming tight at the darkened windows.

Three blocks away I parked the car in my driveway and got out. My hands were deep in my pocket as I slowly trudged my way to the front door. Pausing halfway up the walkway I turned around and took off running.

The house was still dark and empty, just as I left it a few minutes ago. I'd had the bubbling of hope in my chest that maybe, just maybe, she'd be there. Unlocking the front door I crept through the empty house and made my way to her room.

Her room was the first I'd finished in my quest of finishing their house, her room was more important than any other part of the house. It was where she spent most of her time and I guess most of mine too.

It was nearly as perfect as before, I'd replaced some carpet but I hadn't painted the walls yet, that could wait if it had too. None of her books were burnt, which was great because I'd have bought every single one back for her if they were.

The room had a faint scent that lingered from before but it was fading and I found myself trying to hold onto her scent the most. I climbed into the bed and laying so I was facing the spot that she usually laid. I imagined how her hair would be a mess around her as it sprawled onto the pillow, her eyes glued to the current book she'd be reading. The way her teeth gripped her bottom lip when she was concentrating on the words.

Groaning I covered my face and desperately clung to the memory of sleeping next to her as I tried to drift off to sleep. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

582 1 35
Katrina has been through hell. She struggles to find the right guy and she eventually does, but will it last. Read and find out.
22.5K 558 11
As Bella was moving to Forks to live with her father Charlie she thought he had been alone all this time but that was not the case. {Heavy editing}
20.3K 555 35
Everyone knows that being a teenager can be hard. And, if you add a mix of problems to that, everything becomes more complicated. Like wanting to hur...
2.9K 56 16
She was the warmth. Bella was the cold.