Zone Zero (Book 1 of 3)

By krystal-44

***HIGHEST RANKING IN VAMPIRE*** #3 - 26-9-2018 #4 - 13-8-2018 and 23-09-2018 #5 - 29-8-2018 and 5-9-2018 "Wh... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Authors Note

Chapter 26

15.6K 770 59
By krystal-44

Sage bursts through my door around 3pm with a small bag of hair clips and makeup, all of which has been found in the remains of the zone. She bails me up in a massive hug and holds on tight. I hug her back and we both stand in this embrace for a few moments before Sage breaks the silence.

"I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, Sage."

As we break our hold on each other I notice how watery Sage's eyes are and choose not to say anything. She is on the verge of tears as it is so instead we move on and head to the bathroom so that she can get to work on my hair.

She runs her hands gently through my hair, toying with it almost as if she is frightened to say what is on her mind. Her fingers twirl my auburn locks around and a sudden feeling of dejavu sets in. Why does this seem so familiar?

"Is everything ok Sage?" I turn to face her and smile sweetly to show her that she has my support to speak her mind.

"I just want to say I am sorry that I didn't come to see you straight away but mother asked me to give you some space and time to rest." She speaks softly with her head down as though she is afraid I will not accept her apology.

"It's ok Sage. You're here now. That's all that matters."

She wraps her arms gently around me and holds me in a tight embrace for a few more seconds before letting go and breathing a sigh of relief. I stifle a giggle and retake my seat in front of the bathroom mirror so she can get started.

She pulls out a paddle brush from her bag of tricks and begins to brush my hair softly whilst she decides which way she should style it. I let her have full control over that side of things, partly because I am not too fussed with how it looks and partly because I only know two hairstyles; down and up in a ponytail.

"Have you met your soon to be husband yet?" I know it will make her happy if I ask so I put on a brave face and bear it.

"Well, mother chose two perspective young men. I met Walter just the other day and I will be meeting Dimitri tonight. Mother is actually letting me chose between the two even though it is clear that she likes Walter better. I think it's because he was born in England too." She giggles like a school girl and I can't help but smile. Her innocence and sincerity is a rare commodity in this day and age.

"Dimitri, eh? My guess is Russian?" I say with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah. I have seen him around and he is so handsome. I have to give mother my answer in the morning so she can set the arrangements." Her face is gleaming but her voice drips with uncertainty and I know she is nervous. I am nervous for her.

"I'm sure both would make great husbands Sage." I place a reassuring hand over hers and she lets out a sigh and begins pulling my hair back and pinning it with an array of clips that she has been given to her over the years.

"What about you? I heard that your uncle James will finally introduce you to the man he wants you to marry."

I stare up at her bewildered.

"Who?"

"Maxim. His Father was the once head of the KGB and he still has a lot of pull with your Uncle and the rest of the council. Maxim is actually Dimitri's cousin so we could be related!" Her joy for the situation is wasted on me but like a good friend I put on a fake smile. "Have you seen him around? He is such a hottie. You will love him."

"No, I didn't even know his name until just now." I didn't even know he existed until just now. I hide my true thoughts but manage to keep an optimistic smile gleaming across my lips for Sage's sake.

I know that at the end of the day I will be made to marry eventually and that it is just a matter of time before my Uncle forces me to marry someone. I thought that I would at least get a choice in the matter.

I suppose though, it doesn't matter who he is or what he looks like, as long as he is kind and treats me well. I guess I could manage to live a life without love, so many girls already do so in Zone Two that I would be foolish to think I was somehow special in any way.

Sage finally decides to go for a low messy type of bun with stray curls that fall slightly down my neck and pins it all perfectly before rushing out the door to go home and clean herself up for the same event.

I wish that I had her enthusiasm for my own untold future but I still remain frightened and a little worried about what it all could mean for me and my brother.

...

It is almost 6pm, so I decide that it is time to slide into the red organza dress my Uncle gave to me. I lay it sweetly across my bed and stare at it for the longest while taking in the beauty of it.

It is utterly amazing. I have never seen such an outfit before and I know that I may never get to wear something so extravagant again, so with careful hands I step into the dress and zip it closed. I look into the mirror that is bolted to the bathroom door and do a small spin.

I am amazed at how much I like this dress and am surprised with how perfect my uncle's taste is.

The strapless sweetheart neckline hugs my bust closely before cinching slightly at the waist and then falling delicately to the ground with a slight trail that drags behind me with each step. I wonder who this dress once belonged to?

Suddenly my brother's bedroom door opens and he steps out fully dressed in a black suit and bowtie. He has cut his hair and even had a shave for the evening. He looks dashing.

I smile immediately and nod in approval and he does the same to me adding a clap at the end. I do a twirl for him and he lets out a slight giggle.

"You look amazing, Evie." His smile brightens up this house and his words make my own small smile grow larger than ever before.

I have missed our laughing and joking so much. There hasn't been too much since Declyn disappeared even though Logan has tried. It just hasn't felt the same without our third musketeer.

"You don't look half bad yourself." I say impressed that he could clean up so well.

"I have something for you."

"Oh, a present?" My inner child begins bouncing off the walls at the thought of a gift coming my way.

"I found it amongst some of our Grandmothers things after she passed when I was younger. I held onto it and hoped to give it to you when you got married but since this is a special occasion, here you go." He puts his hand forward to reveal a silk handkerchief that is encasing something inside.

I unwrap the cloth to reveal a necklace of dazzling pearls complete with matching earrings. My eyes begin to well with tears as I recall our grandmother. She was already in the Zone with Uncle James before we got here and pneumonia took her from us when I was only 12. Although she was old and senile and could barely remember our names let alone our faces, she was always very kind to us.

"When she passed away Uncle James let me keep them for you. I thought you might like them for tonight." His words are full of sincerity as we recall our grandmother together and smile at the thought of her.

In some of my earliest memories, she is wearing these elegant pearls as they would tenderly wrap around her neck with the grace and elegance of a movie star.

I hug him tightly in thanks and he helps me to fasten the clip on the necklace. Luckily my mother chose to have my ears pierced when I was small and I have always worn the small diamond studs that she gave me as a child ever since, so I am able to wear the earrings with pride.

I look at myself in the mirror again and am surprised at how different I really do look. I even feel beautiful, which is something that doesn't happen here too often. Mostly due to wearing the same coordinated outfit as everyone else. I guess there is no room for each individual to showcase their inner style in day to day life of Zone Two.

Logan holds his arm out for me to hold on to and smiles at me caringly and I know that he means it. I take it willingly and we head down the stairs and to the front door.

"Now, let's go find you a husband." He mocks.

"Let's go find you a wife."

Puzzled he stares at me, almost worried actually.

"If I have to get married and settle down, so do you." I explain.

A cheeky smile grows across his face and he lets out a small and embarrassed laugh.

"Can we at least find me a pretty wife?" he pleads.

"We'll see."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 350 33
WARNING: This book deals with a highly controversial subject matter. Reader discretion is advised. I fell in love with someone dark, twisted and evil...
85.3K 5.1K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
15M 517K 50
#01 in vampire [10.07.2017] #01 in fantasyfiction [14.03.2021] #2 in Prestige awards #03 in thriller [28.05.2018] #02 in romance [04.10.2018] I...
1.2M 43.4K 49
Liam was actually excited to find his mate. It would be nice to have someone to help him with pack business. Keeping the borders safe and punishing r...