The Test

بواسطة Patpookie

Going through my pictures, I went to the one that I had just taken, and the phone slowly slipped out of my gr... المزيد

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Part Two
Dear Daddy
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter 20
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Four

26.9K 1.6K 1K
بواسطة Patpookie

Layna

I spent the night tossing and turning unable to sleep for longer than half an hour at a time. Unfortunately, I had managed to keep Derek up with my restlessness but he never complained just laid with me, periodically reaching over to stroke my hair. He had managed to fall asleep around five in the morning as I watched the sunrise out of the window. At about eight, I gave up, slowly getting out of bed so I didn't wake Derek.

Grabbing my clothes, I made my way to the bathroom to take a quick shower, before getting dressed. I couldn't stay in the hotel room anymore, so I decided to go grab everyone some breakfast.

When I stepped out of the bathroom, Derek sat up, rubbing his eyes sleepily. "Where are you going?"

I went over to him, gently running my fingers through his crazy hair, "Just to get some breakfast."

"I'll come with you," he said yawning.

Looking worriedly at his face, I could see the dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep. "I think you should stay and sleep; you need your rest."

"No it's fine," he yawned again, "I'll grab a coffee."

"You're going to stay and sleep; There's a takeout place just down the street. I can walk there."

He slipped his arms around my waist, pulling me until I was lying next to him and he could wrap his arms around me. "Give me ten minutes and I'll be ready."

I turned to face him, "I just really need to get out of here for a bit okay? And I feel bad that I kept you up all night, so it would make me feel a lot better if you stayed and slept for a little longer."

He sighed, pressing a soft kiss to my lips, "Okay, just text me if you're going to be long." I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before rolling out the bed and slipping my shoes on.

"I love you, angel."

I smiled at his nickname for me, stepping out of the hotel room, "I love you too."

***

I stood in line at the small coffee shop down the street, looking at the option on the chalkboards in front of me. I was so engrossed in the menu I didn't even notice that someone was standing beside me until they spoke.

Looking over I was surprised to see Leila, the nurse from the mental institution. She was still in her hospital scrubs and she had thrown a jacket over it. "Layna, right?"

I gave her a small smile, "Yeah."

"How are you feeling? Hopefully better from the last time I saw you," she said with a smile, tucking a strand of gray hair behind her ear.

"I'm better now, it was just a little shocking to see him like that," I said truthfully, subconsciously resting my hand on my stomach.

She tracked my movements with her eyes, "How far along are you?"

"Almost five months now," I said. "Do you have any children?"8

"Yeah, two boys but, they're all grown up now with families of their own, and I barely get to see them anymore." Her eyes turned sad.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

She smiled at me, "Me too."

Derek

I woke up to knocking on the door. Groaning I got up, stretching out my stiff muscles as I stood up. Layna had probably forgotten her key card again.

When I opened the door, I was surprised to see Humphrey, Amelia, and Justin standing there.

"Surprise!" Humphrey said, "We managed to finish last night so we got an early flight in. We figured we should stop by here first and then we could go to the precinct together.

I rubbed a hand across my face, trying to wake myself up, "What time is it?"

Justin looked at his watch briefly, "It's almost noon."

Any remnants of sleep left my body as I stared blankly at him, "What?"

All three of them looked confused as I ran back inside, grabbing my phone from the nightstand and typing in Layna's number with shaky hands. It didn't ring, just went straight to voicemail.

"Fuck," I yelled, redialing. Straight to voicemail.

"What's wrong, Derek?" Amelia asked, walking into the room.

"Layna went out to get breakfast, but I fell asleep and it's been a couple of hours and she isn't back. Fuck, why did I sleep?"

"Do you know where she went?" Humphrey asked, pulling out his phone.

"She went to the coffee shop down the street," I hit redial as I spoke, pushing my way past them as I ran down the hall to Tom's room. They followed me but I ignored him and pounded my fist against Tom's door. After what seemed like forever the door opened, revealing a grumpy looking Tom.

"What the hell is the problem?" he snapped as my phone went to Layna's voicemail.

"I can't find Layna, and she's not picking up her phone. Have you seen her today?"

"Not since yesterday...you don't think..." he trailed off, his eyes widening in fear.

"I hope to God that it's not what I think it is."

"Call her again," he told me, and I obliged. This time, the phone went directly to voicemail. My knees buckled as the reality of the situation took over, and I sank to the ground, burying my face in my hands.

"Hey, we don't know that anything bad has happened; let's just go down there and see if maybe she got held up," Humphrey said calmly. "We can call Detective Greene on the way and he can meet us there."

***

The ride to the coffee shop happened in a blur. I followed the rest of my team blindly as I prayed to whatever was out there that she would be okay. That she was okay and that she had just got caught up buying breakfast.

When we got there, I jumped out of the car. I scanned the building with my eyes and I could see the rental car we were using parked in a spot near the front. I jogged over to it, but it was empty.

I banged the glass with frustration, before running inside where my team had started talking to the barista on duty.

"Have you seen this woman here today?" Justin asked, showing her a picture on his phone.

"Yeah, I think she was here a couple of hours ago," she said.

"Do you know where she went?" I asked, my voice coming out chocked.

"I have no idea; she was here during the morning rush. She was talking to some lady and they left but that's about all I can tell you. You can look at our cameras if you want."

I pushed my way outside, unable to breathe. I slumped against the side of the building, bracing my hands on my knees and trying to get a full breath into my lungs.

Layna

I blinked my eyes open, trying to see through the darkness. My head was throbbing, and when I tried to lift up my hand to rub my head, I realized that I couldn't move it. Both my arms were tied together tightly behind my back, and my feet were also similarly tied.

I fought against the ropes that bound my hands together, but they wouldn't budge. I was stuck.

With my heart pounding in my chest, I slumped down on the floor, trying to think through the pain in my head. I remembered leaving the hotel in the morning and going to the coffee shop...Leila! She was there but everything else was a blur.

Suddenly the lights opened and I flinched, blinking rapidly to adjust to the brightness.

The room I was in wasn't even a room; it was the size of a large closet. If I lay down my feet would touch the wall across from me. The walls were an off-white color, and the room was completely empty except for the small light bulb above me, and a door to my left.

There was a soft click as the door was unlocked from the outside and the door opened. Leila stood there in her work scrubs and a large smile on her face as she hummed softly to herself.

"What are you doing?" I asked in a hoarse voice as she slowly came closer to me.

She laughed, "I can't have you escaping, can I? He wouldn't be happy if he came and you were gone now would he."

"Who?" I asked but she ignored me, pulling a syringe out of her pocket and flicking the side so all the bubbles dissolved.

"Please don't do this," I begged, trying to push myself away from her with my bound legs. "What would your children say?"

She froze her face hardening. "That's funny, because the last time I checked, one of them was dead, and the other one is in a mental institution because of you."

With that, she slammed the needle into my upper arm and I slipped into unconsciousness.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

2.2K 46 18
It was a Sunday night, family night for the Greens. They were playing a board game when it happened. At exactly 11:11 pm; a time for wishes, a sixtee...
384K 9.8K 43
-Blake- Rose stands not too far in front of the ring looking at me, her face is pale and my gut twists in ways it never has. She shouldn't be here, w...
225 23 20
When Aeron comes back home for the holidays she is hit hard once again by some unsettling news. The house is now trying to find the newest killer whi...
White As A Lie بواسطة Katherine

غموض / الإثارة

74 28 18
"You're telling me you didn't do it?" she asked. "Yes. I don't know what happened. I was asleep when it...when she..." Crystal's face was the prime e...