Life in Paintings

By DarknessAndLight

"I must have hit my head a lot harder than I had anticipated, or maybe breathe too much smoke because this is... More

Prologue
Chapter 2 - The Triumph of Death
Chapter 3 - Saturn Devouring His Son
Chapter 4 - Adieu
Chapter 5 - Witch's Kitchen
Chapter 6 - Punishment of Marsyas
Chapter 7 - Rape of the Sabine Women
Chapter 8 - Portrait of a Young Boy
Chapter 9 - Judith and her Maidservant
Chapter 10 - Dante and Virgil in Hell
Chapter 11 - The Agnew Clinic
Chapter 12 - Through a Camera Lens
Chapter 13 - The Last Day of Pompeii
Chapter 14 - The Nightmare
Chapter 15 - The Story of Nastagio Degli Onesti, Part One
Chapter 16 - Guernica
Chapter 17 - The Vision of St Jerome by Guercino
Chapter 18 - Barge Haulers on the Volga
Chapter 19 - Wanderer above the Sea of Fog
Chapter 20 - Othello and Desdemona
Chapter 21 - Through Glass Lenses
Chapter 22 - Aristotle Tutoring Alexander
Chapter 23 - A Clipper at Sunset
Chapter 24 - Christina's World
Chapter 25 - Burning of a Witch
Chapter 26 - Self Portrait with a Black Dog
Chapter 27 - Sleep
Chapter 28 - Imaginary View of the Grande Galerie in the Louvre in Ruins
Chapter 29 - The Kiss
Chapter 30 - Echo and Narcissus
Chapter 31 - Through a Magnifying Glass
Chapter 32 - Pygmalion and Galatea
Chapter 33 - Café Terrace at Night
Chapter 34 - Barges on the Seine
Chapter 35 - The Robber and His Child
Chapter 36 - Midsummer Eve Bonfire on Skagen Beach
Chapter 37 - The Desperate Man
Chapter 38 - Wounded Angel
Chapter 39 - The Man Made Mad With Fear / Seascape at Saint Aubin
Chapter 40 - Pandemonium
Chapter 41 - St. Francis in Ecstasy
Chapter 42 - Through My Dreams
Chapter 43 - The Colossus
Chapter 44 - Young Woman on Her Deathbed
Chapter 45 - White on White
Chapter 46 - The Raft of Medusa
Chapter 47 - Portrait of Juliette Courbet
Chapter 48 - Persephone
Chapter 49 - The Water Lily Pond
Chapter 50 - A Tight Fix - Bear Hunting, Early Winter
Chapter 51 - Self-portrait Facing Death
Chapter 53 - Nymphs and Satyr
Chapter 54 - The Monk by the Sea
Chapter 55 - Justice and Divine Vengeance Pursuing Crime
Chapter 56 - Farewell
Chapter 57 - Through the Window
Chapter 58 - Massacre of the Innocents

Chapter 1 - The Crying Boy

19.7K 1K 138
By DarknessAndLight

Chapter 1

The Crying Boy

I open my eyes and I see no fire. I’m still lying on the ground, but it’s not on the road in front of the museum. There’s dirt under my back, and I’m in between two buildings, in a dark alley, with barely any lights. It’s cold outside. I can see puffs of fog every time I breathe out.

I’m confused. Where am I? What happened? Has the explosion propelled me way further than I had calculated? Jarvis ran away the second the fire started to really take. He was brighter than me. I should have done the same thing because I have no idea what happened here.

I sit up, trying to clear my head and stop the buzzing in my ears but stop moving immediately.

There’s a boy standing right in front of me. A little boy no older than eight years old. He’s wearing a scarf and a tattered coat, pants with holes and boots that have seen better days. And he’s crying.

Now, I’m really confused.

“Hey, are you alright?” I ask my voice cracking.

“No,” he utters in between sobs.

“What’s wrong?”

And as I say those words the little boy stops crying and glares at me and there’s something inside of me, telling me this is not normal, the way he’s looking at me. Little boys should not look at people with so much hatred.

“It’s your fault,” he whispers.

I frown, confused and rub my eyes. Maybe he’ll go away when I do so. Unluckily, he doesn’t. “What?” I all but groan.

“All the painting, all the art… gone.”

The paintings, the art? Why does he care? “Look, it’s just some shady museum and I’m not the only one to blame for it. And those paintings were crappy anyway.”

“I was one of those paintings.”

“Excuse me?” My hand goes to the back of my head and I can feel blood there. I must have hit my head hard. It’s probably why I’m seeing things and hearing this, because this is the only logical explanation for whatever this is. That or I just stumbled on the street of a psychotic delusional little boy.

“Before you burned us down, I was one of the paintings in the museum. The curse painting. It had a nice ring to it. But now it’s gone, I’m gone, and so are all the other paintings.” He shouts at me and I can almost see fire in his eyes as he does.

“Kid, I think you need to see a shrink.” I should probably too while we’re at it.

“You’re the one who’ll need to see a shrink after this,” he sneers.

“Yeah, right kid. I wouldn’t be threatening the bigger person if I were y—” I can’t finish my sentence because suddenly, my lips are sealed together, and when I say seal, I mean I run my hand over my mouth and it isn’t there anymore.

I must have hit my head a lot harder than I had anticipated, or maybe breathe too much smoke because this is definitely nut-case crazy. Or a very creepy dream that feels way too real for my own good. I can pat my subconscious on the back for that one, but at the same time, it might be a little over the top.

“You didn’t hit your head that hard. You just picked the wrong museum to burn. I was the curse painting. Now, it’s your turn to be the curse painting.” Suddenly, he laughs and it sounds like it’s bouncing off the walls around us and that a dozen more boys are laughing with him.

Yeah. Really hit my head hard.

“Oh you’ll wish it was the case. But the truth is this will be much worse. Because you burned art without consideration for it or for the artists, Melody Orsay, you are condemned to roam from one painting to another, never resting until you understand the weight of your actions and the importance of art.

Oh wow. This is grand. I had no idea my imagination could run so wild.

“Even you aren’t that imaginative Melody,” the boy whispers close to my ear and then there’s a loud noise, close from the sound of thunder, coming from the top of the buildings and I barely have time to lift my eyes before I see the huge burning crate fall right on top of me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 36 27
I find comfort in the colors of the world That's where the "doctors" have it wrong Sticking people like me In rooms adorned only with Plain Crisp Whi...
16.9K 546 11
Sunghoon, as a half-incubus, has lived his life as any other human. So normal was his life that the moment it actually affected it, he didn't even re...
654K 22.2K 42
Who knew my new apartment would be the one beside my new boss. Not only that but turns out he is a incubus which explains all the sex. Damn it! I al...
76K 3.9K 37
Nicky and Choi have been together for a good while not even caring about who or where their mate is. They've been doing just fine by themselves and e...