Loss of Innocence (A Zach Her...

By _saraxoxo7

"you're so bad for me." i whispered as the boy with the dark eyes came dangerously close to my face. he star... More

The New Neighbor
Daniel
Meeting Zach
Getting Nowhere
The Encounter
The Day After
authors note
Interruptions
Thoughts
The Party
The Drive

The Second Attempt

3.2K 91 38
By _saraxoxo7

Another week has passed, which means it's been another week of Zach's wild parties, all with no success of being toned down.

I had been barely sleeping for the past week, all because I was too scared to go back to Zach's house and order him to turn his music down. Daniel also told me to stay away from him, which I would gladly do.

My mother had allowed Hannah to sleep over at my house on that Friday night, because she would be out of town until Sunday for a fashion show and my father would be working late all weekend.

"So, have you talked to Daniel's sexy stepbrother lately?" Hannah asked me now, applying some more navy blue nail polish to my toes.

I shook my head as I blew on my freshly manicured nails to dry them.

"Daniel told me to stay away, so that's what I'm doing. And plus, he's super intimidating. I can't even go near him without my face getting all red and tripping over my sentences." I answered.

"Maybe that's because he's so hot." Hannah said, waggling her eyebrows.

I felt myself flush, and I turned away.

"I mean, I guess he's kind of cute-but that's not the point!" I added quickly.

Hannah shrugged as she put the cap back on the nail polish.

"Whatever you say, sister."

*
After an hour or so later, we had devoured most of the pizza we ordered (half veggie and half meat lover), watched reruns of Friends, and did some online shopping.

The music next door was nowhere to be found...

Not until we got into bed, of course.

I fell asleep and woke up to immediately feel the booming bass beneath me. I sighed, rolling over onto my side and attempting to ignore the noise.

But, as usual, it was impossible.

I threw the covers off of me and turned the lamp on.

"Carly, what are you doing?" Hannah asked, sitting up in bed and squinting against the light.

"I'm gonna try and talk to Zach again." I said.

I hurried to my closet and threw on a sweatshirt and flip flops, not even bothering to get changed.

"I know I said I was going to stay away from him, but when he continues to do this, I can't! It's bad enough he lives next door, and he throws parties every single night with the music as loud as ever! How do the other neighbors not complain about this?" I asked. "It's almost 1:30 in the morning, it's seriously ridiculous!"

"Are you sure you going over there is a good idea?" asked Hannah.

"Yes! Maybe the second time will be the charm." I said, starting to walk out of my room.

I turned to look at Hannah, who was still sitting in my bed, staring at me.

"Are you coming?"

                             *

Minutes later, we arrived at Zach's house.

I stood in front of it just like I did the last time, taking a deep breath before entering.

"Do you just want me to tell him to turn his music down?" Hannah asked.

"No, I'll do it."

"But maybe he'll listen to me." Hannah tried again. "You aren't really a-threatening type of person."

I turned towards her and gave her a tiny smile.

"Thanks for offering, Han. But it has to be me." I answered as I walked inside, my best friend right on my heels.

I pushed through the crowds of people, the smell of alcohol and marijuana even stronger than before, until I found Zach in the same spot as the other time, in the kitchen taking shots.

When he saw me walk in, he smirked.

"What can I do for you, Carly?" He asked, not even saying hello first.

Not that I'd expect him to.

"Can you please turn your music down? It's really loud." I said, barely raising my voice.

Zach looked away from me, that smirk still on his face, the same smirk that made my legs shake for some odd reason.

"We've been over this, hot stuff. This is my party, and I do what I want." He replied.

Hannah stepped forward as my face flushed, putting her hands on her hips.

"Listen here, dickwad. Your goddamn music is disrupting our much needed sleep and it's annoying as hell. So either turn it down or stop your party right now." She demanded.

Zach' smirk faded, and he crossed his arms, glaring at Hannah.

"Han." I mumbled. "It's fine, let's just go."

"No, no. Wait." said Zach, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"If Carly wants the music turned down...then she has to take a shot." He said.

Hannah shook her head, grabbing my arm.

"You're a fucking asshole. Come on, Carly." She said.

I thought about how much I really wanted some peace and quiet, how much I needed it.

I turned around to look at Zach.

"I'll do it." I said.

Zach raised an eyebrow.

"If you'll really turn the music lower, then I'll take one shot." I said, feeling my face burn even more than it already was.

"Fine." Zach said, walking over to the counter lined with alcohol and grabbing a bottle of tequila. He took down a shot glass from the island and poured tequila into it, handing it to me.

"Drink up."

I took the glass from him, my hand trembling slightly and heart pounding fast and loud inside my chest. I really didn't want to do this. I hated drinking. But if this meant I wouldn't hear the music anymore, then so be it.

I silently counted to three, and quickly tilted my head back and chugged the shot before I thought about it anymore.

As soon as the liquid hit my mouth, it burned. I nearly choked on it as it slid down my throat. I slammed the shot glass down on the island and took a step back, looking down at the ground.

"Wow." Zach said, taking the shot glass off the table. "I didn't think you'd actually do it."

"Can you please turn the music lower now?" I asked, my throat on fire.

Zach nodded.

"Sure."

Being unable to stay in this house any longer, I turned and walked through the kitchen and not the front door, not waiting for Hannah.

I rushed back to my house as quickly as my legs could move, pulling open the front door and starting to walk inside. I ran to the kitchen and instantly turned on the sink, filling up a Dixie cup with cold water. I drank until I felt the burning sensation in my throat and mouth fade, then I gurgled some more water, spitting it out into the sink.

"Carl?" Hannah called, walking into the kitchen and turning on the light.

I turned to face her.

"I was just-rinsing my mouth out. How do you even drink that? It's disgusting, and it tastes like battery acid!" I said.

"Well, it tastes a little better with some lime and salt...and when you're more drunk." She replied, making me laugh slightly.

I threw out the cup and started to head back upstairs, Hannah at my side, but suddenly, she paused.

"What?" I asked.

"It's quiet." She whispered.

I straightened, focusing my attention on the noise. Thankfully, I heard nothing.

"Zach's finally learning how to use his indoor voice." I sighed.

Hannah giggled, wrapping an arm around me.

"You saved the day, Carly! Even if it meant you had to take a shot."

I smiled as we started up the stairs.

"Yeah well, it was worth it since we have the quiet we deserve now. Let's go to bed, Han."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 130 33
In which... Savannah must pretend to be Zach Herron's girlfriend "WOAH." I said, stopping him. Instantly, he realized what he'd said. "Stop right the...
22.8K 1K 25
I loved you and you loved me. But you left. I changed and so did you. I still love you but do you? How can you forget me so easily? Do you even kno...
12.6K 615 23
"Your temper's just as bad as mine is. You're the same as me. When it comes to love you're just as blinded."