Changing Him

By YsaLovesCupcakes

Meet Alice Hayden, who was once best friends with a boy named James Cooper. They were like two peas in a pod... More

Changing Him
Chapter 1 - Him Stealing My Brother
Chapter 2 - A Ride With Him
Chapter 3 - I'm Sorry, Alice.
Chapter 4 - My Life Added With Heat
Chapter 5 - Now I'm Sorry, James.
Chapter 6 - Our First Session
Chapter 7 - Me, Being A Complete Suspense Maker
Chapter 8 - Hey, Aunt Betty
Chapter 9 - Gash Because Of Him
Chapter 10 - A Big Revelation
Chapter 11 - Thank You
Chapter 12 - Its Complicated
Chapter 13 - The Date
Chapter 14 - The 'Hang Out Session'
Chapter 15 - The Real 'Hang Out Session'
Chapter 17 - The Halloween Party
Chapter 18 - Movie Madness
Chapter 19 - Uh...
Chapter 20 - Realizations
Chapter 21 - The End?
Epilogue

Chapter 16 - Halloween Bash

18K 355 52
By YsaLovesCupcakes

I woke up, my vision extremely blurry. You know the feeling when some kind of bubble wrap was placed in front of a camera? Well, that’s what it feels like right now. I rubbed my eyes and opened them. I looked around and saw that I wasn’t in my completely neat room. I observed that it looked like a Bachelor’s pad. It had streaks of white and black splattered across the furniture and walls. I slowly stood up, blinking my eyes abnormally. I looked at my clothes and saw that I was in some kind of baggy t- shirt with ‘Heineken beer’ printed on it. I was still wearing my black jogging pants from last night. Curiosity driving my decisions, I looked around and I noticed a sticky note dangling from the bedside table.

Good Morning, sleepyhead. Thanks for last night.

-          James ☺♥

My head was throbbing and my brain is reminiscently trying to find answers on what could have happened. I closed my eyes and tried to remember all the things that happened. Not lasting a millisecond, I saw flashbacks of what happened.  I remembered the date, the event on the DVD store, and the movie. Wait, what did he mean by, ‘Thanks for last night’?! Oh god.  

I sat up, reality sinking into my brain. I looked around and recognized his bedroom almost perfectly. I looked up then looked down. What should I do now? There are only three options available for me to do right now.

Option A) Just stay here until someone sees me then lets me go home safely.

Option B) Be like a ninja and tiptoe my way out of the house.

Option C) Shiver in the corner like an idiot waiting for someone to help me.

It took minutes of logical thinking to finally come up with my decision and frankly, I went for Option B. You know, to make things less awkward. I carefully stood up from the bed and started tiptoeing towards the door. I twirled the doorknob in a very silent way that no one can hear. I was already headed for the stairs when I heard slight humming coming from downstairs. Footsteps were clearly hearable because of the glass staircase.

When I heard that, I quickly ran as fast as I can to the bedroom and closed it with a rush that probably made a strident sound. I rushed to the bed, and dropped myself to it with strapping force, which made pillows fall all over the floor. I was about to pull the covers and pretend to sleep when suddenly the door swung and I saw James eyeing the tray that was in his hands.

“Wakey, Wakey, Eggs and…” He looked at me. “Oh.” He moved towards me and placed the tray on top of his studying table. “You’re awake.” He says, with this morning voice. Huh, why did I just say that? I examined the tray and realized that it was a tray full of food. I looked at him.

“Good morning.” He greets. I ruffled my hair with confusion.

“Uh,” I looked around with wide eyes while plucking the sticky note and showing it to him. “What is the meaning of this?!” I asked, re-looking all the things I saw awhile ago. He looked at me with mock hurt in his face.

“Wow, good morning to you too. “ He commented sarcastically. I looked at my clothes, now curious on how I got changed. 

“I said thank you for last night.” He replied. I glared at him wondering on why he won’t see what I see. I stood up crossing my arms.

“And what exactly do you mean by that?!” I said, almost freaking out. He genuinely composed himself and smiled. “I said thank you for the date.” He looked at the floor then picked up the note. “And I think I was the pervert,”

I frowned at his remark but also embarrassed on assuming. I looked at the tray and saw that it had perfect cooked pancakes, sunny side up eggs, and some bacon partnered with freshly squeezed Orange juice. My mouth started watering and I just had to gulp, the smell was just enticing. James noticed my unappealing reaction and started talking.

“And don’t worry, you’re mom knows that you have slept here. I asked permission.” He said, now lifting the tray and placed it perfectly in front of me. I looked at it again and saw that everything was perfectly cooked.

“How did you even cook this? You don’t even know how to microwave canned goods.” I pointed out, shocked. The last time he tried to cook was to impress a girl and let’s just say the odds weren’t in his favor. He twirled the chair and sat down, making him look like a bad boy.

“People change?” I laughed at his remark.

“Huh.” I picked the fork and started nibbling on the pancakes, then the bacon, then the eggs. They were all so exquisite that I just wanted to lick the plate after I finished. Hey, we’re friends. I think I can do anything I want.

After I got done, I didn’t realize that he was there the whole time I was eating. I’m surprised that he hasn’t freaked out yet. My mother says that I eat like a pig. I looked at James and caught him staring at me with this admiration look. We both looked away in unison and I picked up the juice.

“So, I was wondering that because it’s a Sunday today if you could uh,” I was amused by this because him babbling like an idiot just isn’t…James. I started sipping on my refreshing juice. “Want to go to the park or something?” I was so surprised that I started choking on my juice and accidentally, I dropped the glass and the orange juice came pouring down on James’ bed sheets.

I looked at James apologetically but it seems that he’s not mad, but amused. How can you be amused if I just spilt some orange juice on your bed? Because of panic, I didn’t even realize that I was also showered with orange juice.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” I screamed, desperately fluffing the bed sheets as if by doing that, I can remove the wet stains. As if he just got out from a trance, James shook his head and rapidly stood up to go towards the bed’s direction. But I was surprised to see him get a towel and wrapped it around me.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to spill some juice, I swear! Oh god, I’m just awfully and terribly-“

“It’s okay. Let’s just go to the park?” He interjects. I agreed because of guilt but at the same time, I really liked to go with him too.

***

The days passed by and I can officially say that I am definitely happy. I am now surrounded with the three most loving people in the world which are Mint, Harry, and James. They are now my best friends. Some of the people in school are even having the potential to become my friend. Maybe it is true that looks does do something. Maybe I wasn’t approachable when I was still a nerd?  

The tutoring sessions still continued and James is getting smarter and more intelligent than I have given him credit for. He started getting A+ mark on every subject and I think he might have a chance on having a recognition certificate for the third period. Things with Harry are starting to get a little deeper. He has been looking and staring at me with every class we’re in. Raven is doing great; she’s still…in piece. I’m getting the feeling that we’re going to pass the project with flying colors.

But I must say that James has been acting around me very weirdly. Sometimes, he constantly looks at me then when I look at him he drops his gaze at his book. And then there’s a time where he leans always but I don’t know what to do so I just push him off. And when I’m talking, he always slouch his shoulders. And when he tells a joke, he keeps on looking at me. What, is he trying to impress me or something?

And with Harry, sometimes when I’m talking to him, it’s like everything about him screams that he’s nervous. He keeps on having sweaty palms, he always fidgets then he’s always taking deep breaths. We’re always chatting up on Face book and stuff. Both of them are constantly touching my forearm, arm, or hand. It’s getting really freaky but at the same time, what if they actually like me?

No, no, no, no. Stop assuming, Alice. It’s bad enough that you think Harry likes you and now you’re going to include James? It’s not proper, Alice. Get over it. Erase that thought out of your head, now.

“So, what are you doing this Halloween?” Harry asked me as he inputs a blue chemical to his test tube with some red colored liquid. It formed a green cloud of smoke and I coughed because of the toxic I inhaled.

“Probably just sulk in my bedroom, waiting for Matthew’s classmates to Trick or Treat.” I said, examining my own test tube. James wasn’t here because he and his family attended his aunt’s wedding which is a pretty big deal because his aunt never got married…ever. I looked at him through my lab glasses. “How about you?”

“Maybe same as you,” He looked at me as well. “But, are you going to the Halloween party?” I felt a shock went through my body when I heard that. It was an annual thing, and normally I would just not pretend. It was like the main ‘prom’. The reason behind that is because if we do have an actual prom, a lot of students end up mating on the dance floor. So, yeah.

“What party?” I asked.

“Haven’t heard of it, huh?”

“I have, but I just,” I pursed my lips because of embarrassment. “Naturally don’t like parties.” He looked at me, his cheeks slightly bushing. It was like he was trying to say something that he just can’t say.  Don’t tell me he’s going to—

“I was just wondering if you could, uh,” He started rubbing his neck. “Go with me to the party?” I felt myself get numb and I managed to put my test tube back on its rack. He looked away as if he was stabbed with a knife.

"I'm sorry; I know that you may have plans with someone else." He bit his lower lip. "And I should have asked someone--"

"Yes." I started playing with my lab coat then smiled at him. "I would love to."

He looked at me with shock but it was replaced with happiness. Wait, wait, and wait. Pause. Am I seeing what I am seeing? Does he actually like me? He stood there looking at me and then he hugged me. He cupped my face with his hands then looked at me in the eye. But he quickly broke off; maybe it was because we might go to detention because of PDA or whatever.

***

Our tutoring session was still continued even if he was absent. I tried talking him out of it but he just won't budge. James told me about how the wedding was a complete mess. Wherein, the priest came late, the microphone was malfunctioning, the shoes of the bride were broken, and the reception went out off electrical supply, well it was a complete disaster that they just needed to come back home. We almost occupied a whole hour talking until finally, we realized we were wasting valuable time and we started tutoring. When we were about to finish, James asked me a very controversial question.

"So, are you going to the Halloween party?" James asks as he looks up from his book. I checked the time to see if the session would be over already and found out that we only have a few minutes left. I nodded at his question and I observed that he suddenly straightened and I saw him blush. Wait, what?

"Are you, uh, going with anyone?" He asks, and then looks down. He was making the same expression Harry was doing awhile ago.

"Why are you asking?" I asked, looking away, waiting for his response. I just realized that I was actually holding my breath.

"I just wanted to know if you--"

"I'm going with Harry." I mumbled. I looked at him and saw a pained expression. I noticed that his jaw was clenched.

"Oh."

Awkward silence followed. I felt as if I was in those times where I didn't know what to do. Or how I can start a conversation. So, I just slowly blurted out;

"What do you want to know?" I asked. He looked up, his face as red as a tomato. As if on cue, his face went to its usual pale self and acted calmly and normally.

"I just wanted to know if you're interested in..." He took a small pause. "In carrots?" My face went blank.

"What?"

"Nah, just forget about it." He said, closing his book.

"Oh...Kay?" I closed my book too and placed it inside my bag. The remaining papers were blown by the chilly November breeze. I started picking up the papers and when I was about to get the last one, a hand was on top of mine. I looked into his eyes and I asked, "So, who are you going with?"

He signed reluctantly and answered through gritted teeth,

"Jessica Waters."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201 22 13
Ava enjoys her normal life at school but everything changes on that one, faithful day when she is captured and taken to uncharted territory... Can sh...
52 5 40
Moving to a different city is hard and starting at a new school is stressful. Growing up, Steven had everything he could have asked for. A loving fam...
10.3M 710 5
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published, and you can see only the sample chapters of the published version. **...
63.4K 2K 37
"I'm scared" I whisper as a tear trails down my cheek. Hayden's eyes soften as he stares down at me. He pulls me into his chest, resting his head on...