Marginal Love (Book 4 LS Seri...

By mjscrotchie

The heartwrenching story of Skipper and Michael returns. In the wake of a brand new tragedy, again the questi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 7

359 19 20
By mjscrotchie

Skipper's POV

"Jani," I complain for the millionth time and attempt to pull my hand away. But his grip is iron.

"Quiet Cherry," Jani coos as we grow closer to the grimey stairwell. "This is what you agreed to. Do you wanna help Slash or not?"

I look up at him contemptuously.

"That's right, you do. So come on."

I've never seen anything like it. Between two buildings in a city, you normally expect for there to be an alleyway- just a grimey, cracked little walkway lined with dumspters and maybe drug dealers. So when we walk up to one and see a staircase leading down into the earth, something tells me to walk the other way.

"Talk about a 'Stairway to Hell'," Jani jokes.

I glare at him.

"Sorry."

"Hey, what about the guards? They aren't following us anymore."

He looks back over his shoulder hastily. "Yeah, they're gonna stick up here and keep the car running. You know, just in case we have to escape... quickly?"

"Wait, what-"

"Come on."

He leads me down the stairs by the wrist, farther and farther down. Only the stairs don't end, and they smell like the floor of a brewery.

"Jani!"

"I love it when you say my name."

I grown inwardly and shudder a little as we finally reach a landing I wasn't expecting. Jani fumbles through the darkness, curses a little.

"Ah, here we go."

Suddenly a door opens, and we are bathed in bright red light. I shield my eyes as he leads me into an insanely crowded bar-like room, complete with a stage, a counter, women, and a bouncer staring at us expectantly.

"Get behind me now," Jani says gently and brushes the hair from my eyes. "Don't want them questioning you."

I smile and nod to his face, but as soon as he turns around I retch a little in my mouth.

He oils up to the bouncer with me hidden behind his back, giving one of his... 'charming' smiles.

"Well if it isn't Jani Lane," the bouncer says with faux enthusiasm. "Thought I'd never see you scrounging around with the likes of us, now that you've gotten yourself a fancy record deal, huh Lane?"

He chuckles nonchalantly. "Oh come on now. I never forget my roots."

"Uh huh," the bouncer says, unconvinced. "If you plan to kill anyone with arrogance, do them a favor and save it, won't you Lane?"

"Whatever. Just let me in, you fat fuck," Jani replies with a smile.

"Sure thing Lane," the greasy bouncer growls. "Once you tell me who your little friend is."

Jani's smile falters a little. "Just one of the girls. No biggie."

The bouncer leans around Jani's broad shoulders and looks at me. "No wait a minute, I'd know that face anywhere! What the hell is Nelson-Rose doing with the likes of you, you fucking rat? Did you kidnap her?"

Jani's eyes narrow. "I happen to be very affluent now, and capable of providing the kind of companionship she... craves. Now do me a damn favor and don't tell the whole damn room that she's here? We're trying to keep a low profile tonight."

The bouncer looks at me. I say nothing.

"Whatever, Lane. Move along."

Jani clears his throat and pulls me quickly into the crowded room. There's no one on the cracked wooden stage quite yet, but euphoric music pumps throughout the entire club nonetheless. Sweaty bodies coming from all directions push up against us as we make our way through.

"Here's a nice spot," Jani says, pulling out a chair for me at a table right in the center of the room.

"What happened to a 'low profile'?"

"Oh don't worry. No one is looking for you here, and you do wanna see the stage now, don't you?"

He sits very close beside me in his chair, snaking his arm around my shoulders. I try not to look at him, but those light blue eyes of his are piercing- and magnetic. Once he captures my gaze he refuses to let go, before he begins whispering in my ear.

"I'm glad you came to me, Cherry." His lips just brush against my skin. "I can help you, you can help me. We'll make a great team. Don't you agree?"

He pulls away just enough to see my eyes. I give a little nod, for the sake of his god damned ego.

He leans in to kiss me.

"Wow. Last time I checked, this wasn't the Roxy, and that... that's a whore in sheep's clothing."

My stomach nearly falls out of me when I look up and see Slash standing over the both of us, bathed in the crimson glow of the club. Only he doesn't look happy, like the rest of the people slinking around. Just mad, with a worried little crease between his brows.

I fight the urge to smooth it out.

"Wow," Jani says drily. "I thought you said he didn't know?" He is impatient now. "And she is not a whore, why would you say that?"

"You think I was talking about her?" Slash retorts flatly.

I look up at Slash with annoyance, but relief as well- his timing couldn't be any better.

"Did you follow me here?"

"Yeah, I did," Slash replies smartly, "I thought it might be wise when I realized that you had no intention of including me in this search. I knew it was a smart idea when I saw you walking around on the arm of a pimp-"

"Keep your voice down," Jani shushes him violently.

"Slash," I sigh. "Anything I'm doing right now is for your best interest, alright? Jani knows a lot about the scene and he's gonna help me. And Tracii Guns, right?"

Jani nods smugly, staring right up at Slash. "Correct, beautiful."

"So we're fine. You can go."

Slash rubs the bridge of his nose for a second before he kneels down beside me. His eyes are deadly serious. "Curly, if you can't see that this man has some extreme fucking ulterior motives right now, you are asking to be hurt."

I roll my eyes. "You don't think I know that? What can be done to me that hasn't already happened?"

"A lot," Slash replies. "I don't wanna see you hurt again."

I scoff. "Oh really? I was under the impression that you no longer cared."

"Curly..." suddenly his face hardens and he's up on his feet again. "You know what? Whatever, if you have a death wish have fun fulfilling it. I'm tired as hell."

He heads for the stairs. I feel uneasy.

"Good," Jani says, returning my attention to him. "No more distractions."

My breath comes quickly as his fingers run along my jaw, down beneath my chin, lifting it slightly. He's grinning all the while, nibbling his lips with hungry anticipation. The tip of his nose brushes my cheekbone as he leans in, bringing his mouth to mine.

I allow him a few kisses before I pull away, but Jani doesn't like this.

"Cherry," he whines in my ear. "Come on."

I sigh nervously as his hands grip mine. He brings my palm up to his soft blonde mane, and then returns his to my waist. His eyes are almost cold but definitely expectant.

Every alarm in my head begins to go off, but they've never helped me anyway. I've seen Jani when he's... discontent, and I know I can't burn this bridge. I need it.

So I kiss him back. I mean, why exactly is it wrong? Michael has probably given up on me by now, Slash isn't interested anymore. I'm alone, and at least I'm still desirable.

I gasp when his hand begins to slide up my bare inner thigh. Chuckles errupt from his mouth into mine, causing me to immediately put my hand over his and stop his progress. Just my luck, the first band comes up onto the stage to draw my attention away.

"Hey," he snaps impatiently now when I pull away.

"Excuse me, I'm just trying to do what I came here to do."

Jani's eyes are ice now, his grip on my hand becomes so strong it almost hurts. "You don't want me to get mad now, do you Cherry? You've seen what it can do."

His expression is serious, and honestly he's right. Only people of a certain temperment can thrive in his... business, and let's just say he's the epitome of that.

"No Jani," I sigh sweetly and run my fingers along his jawline. "I wanna watch the bands too."

"Later then?" Jani compromises. "Back at my place?"

"Yeah sure." I'll find a way to get out of it later.

I squeal when he lifts me off the chair and resettles me in his lap, arms locked around my waist. I sigh, fighting the urge to roll my eyes, and focus on the stage.

There's a skinny guy up there, skinny but brimming with charisma. I watch with an almost... chilling sensation as he flies from one end of the ratty stage to the other, singing and playing all the while- something I've only ever seen from one other person. Yet and still this sound just fits, and the whole club forgets what they're doing to stop and listen.

"What band is this, Jani?"

"Stone Temple Pilots. Formed just last year, they're brand new."

"And what's that lead singer's name?"

"Scott."

I grin. I already have what I came for.

As soon as the song ends the band disappears backstage, and I resolve to go after them and find Scott, possibly Tracii as well. I hop off Jani without a word and start toward the stage.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Gonna find Scott."

"No, you idiot!" He hisses and stands quickly. "Don't you understand how dangerous that is?"

"So what?" I snatch my wrist away, fed up with being treated like some helpless little girl. I suppose it's my fault for letting him, but still- I'm not gonna keep letting him. "It's not like it's any worse than sitting here like your fucking lap dog!"

His eyes widen with surprise. "Sit. Down."

"No!"

I make a beeline for the stage.

"Cherry, they're gonna-"

"What?"

I turn as a sickening smile settles over his face. "Never mind, girl. Have a good time."

I shrug and hop up onto the stage. I marvel at how easy it is once I slip through the dark passageway leading to backstage. At the real, above ground festivals I go to- well, used to go to... it's like rocket science getting back here.

It's nothing but a hallway of doors, each one closed and locked tight. Then I look to the end of the passage and catch a glimpse of light, and the soft sound of music.

I race to it, grinning when the door reads 'Tracii Guns'.

"You guys need to shut the hell up," someone growls from inside. "I'm tired of hearing your gripes. If this wasn't really about fame, you wouldn't give two shits about this whole... lead singer thing."

Yep, that's definitely him.

"Maybe if you weren't actin' like some sorta diva, we wouldn't feel this way."

"Guys guys, relax. You all fit in here, the watering hole is your home. Don't tarnish it." And that must be Tracii.

"Unless of course, you wanna leave," I grin, pushing open the cracked door.

It's a room full of misfits, to say the least. Not that it isn't a welcome or familiar sight. There's a sofa littered with beer cans where Tracii Guns sits, a shaggy-haired brunette who looks like a walking tattoo. Then there's the short-haired Scott, surrounded by his bandmates.

"Who the hell let you back here?" Tracii spits.

"I walked right in," I reply drily. "You should really get some better security."

"Hey, I know her..." Scott says carefully, eyes narrowing as they settle on my face. "That's Axl Rose's wife. What were you doing here all tangled up with Jani Lane?"

I roll my eyes. "Jani? He's just a pawn I used to find you. Axl was my husband, I happen to have a completely seperate life and identity, you know. This is exactly why I was hesitant to marry him, I knew people would do this-"

"Find me?" Scott says, standing.

"On behalf of Slash. He happens to be looking for a new lead singer."

Tracii scowls at me. "We really do need better security."

I give him a wide grin.

Scott lights a cigarette. "Slash, huh? And the rest of Guns N' Roses? What are they, too pussy to come down here with the rest of us up-and-comers? Getting your shoes dirty instead of their own?"

"I'm their... manager," I lie, rubbing the back of my neck. "And if you ever wanna see the light of day, you might wanna give me a chance."

Scott looks back at his band. "Well... fuck you guys."

The room goes up in a chaotic roar if jeers and curses. Tracii and I just sit back and wait.

"This whole place was supposed to be about surviving, making it where it counts! What does it matter if I stayed loyal in your minds, but hardly make enough to put fucking food on the table? This is the kind of gig I set out to get anyway, so yeah. Fuck you guys for holding me back."

Scott paces over to me. "Where do I meet them?"

I dig a scrap of paper out of my clutch and scrawl down the address of the apartment. "Tomorrow night."

"Sure thing." Scott slams the door after him.

I try to catch it and fail. Before I can reopen the door, Tracii slinks up to it and closes his hand over the knob. "Where you going so fast, Rosie?"

Wow. That's sickening. "Home."

"Oh no, I think you're gonna stay."

WHATS UP YAAAAALL

okay vote and comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.4K 1.4K 29
𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧 𝐖𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 is far from perfect. Before starting her senior year of college, she's already guaranteed her position as the black sheep o...
4.3K 143 30
Everyone knew not to mess with the past, but what if we could have another shot at life? To make the choices we weren't able to in our first? ~ Micha...
9.4K 257 21
[18+ Explicit] - Completed - Short Story - Formerly 'Prestige' Book 1 of Love Waltz Series (A collection of debut fics). First fic I made for Michael...
26.4K 887 41
His final words were "Marry Me", she wholeheartedly says "Yes". Things are perfect, right? The BAD tour has ended it's last leg. Months have passed a...