Falling Perfectly

By annasteffey

In this sequel to Falling Helplessly, Miles and Isabella find each other again. It's as if they're meant to b... More

Chapter 1 | Miles
Chapter 3 | Stalker
Chapter 4 | Evelyn
Chapter 5 | Friendly Advice
Chapter 6 | Every Breath You Take
Chapter 7 | Explanations
Chapter 8 | Unexpected Information
Chapter 9 | Worth the Wait
Chapter 10 | Don't Go
Chapter 11 | Happy Tears
Chapter 12 | Take you out
Chapter 13 | Snow Under the Summer Sun
Chapter 14 | Remember to Knock
Chapter 15 | Bleeding Out
Chapter 16 | Work Distractions
Chapter 17 | Booty Calls
Chapter 18 | Forfeit
Chapter 19 | The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 20 | The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 21 | Heartbroken
Chapter 22 | It Worked
Chapter 23 | Impulsive
Chapter 24 | Everything is okay
Chapter 25 | Your Sake, or His?
Chapter 26 | Hurdles
Chapter 27 | Friday I'm In Love
Chapter 28 | Life, Beauty, Darlin
Chapter 29 | Redemption
Chapter 30 | Numb
Chapter 31 | Wake up
Chapter 32 | Friends
Chapter 33 | What If
Chapter 34 | Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: New Year Time Warp
Bonus Chapter: The Holidays

Chapter 2 | Mr. Darcy

49.8K 1.4K 171
By annasteffey

2

─── • ───

ISABELLA

I have been staring at the pesky bouquet since it arrived.

The book in my hand is not distracting me enough to take my mind off of Miles, which is a pity. Only if Mr. Darcy could take my mind off of him, I groan out loud into the empty room like a maniac.

My life was so going well. I guess too well considering Miles is back throwing everything off balance. Every puzzle piece was in place. And now the pieces are scattered everywhere; some are even missing.

And it's all because of him.

I decide to put my book back on the shelf and get dressed. My day of relaxation is officially over because my mind won't settle down. I need to put it to use. Miles may try plowing his way back into my life but, little does he know I'm not letting him back in. What we had was good, but it is in the past. Plus, I'm not into fooling around with millionaires.

I collect hospital paperwork, my computer, and grab Pride and Prejudice back off the shelf then head out the door. The cold air greets me with no hesitation, causing me to pull my coat tighter around myself. I walk a couple of blocks to the cafe, dashing inside faster than the speed of light.

The warmth from the building and the large coffee I just ordered are soothing. I get comfortable at a booth, spreading all of my work out on the table in front of me. It takes no time to get lost in my work.

"Bitch, where are you and who TF sent you flowers?! - Alexis"

I laugh out loud after reading Max's contact name he must have changed when I was sleeping or when we were drunk. I text back as the bell to the cafe door jingles. For some reason, I have the urge to turn around and look, even though it could be anyone.

Just as I thought, it is a random guy in an all-black suit.

He walks to the counter, picks up three large coffees, nods to the cashier, and then walks back out through the door. My curiosity gets the best of me and I continue watching him out the cafe window as he approaches a black car. The window winds down and a hand reaches out to grab a single cup.

Then, as the window winds back up, the man walks to the passenger side and climbs in before the car speeds off. I furrow my brows, turning back toward my papers.

That was probably the weirdest thing I have ever seen, and I work in a hospital.

"I'm at Sweetbrew and the note to the flowers is on my dresser. Please read it. - Bell"

I shut my phone off and resume my work.

By the time I'm finished and have nothing more left to do, it is dark out and most likely a lot colder because of the snow that rolled in. So, I pack all my papers, turn in my coffee mug, and head home. When I open the door to our house, my heart stops.

My mom is standing in the living room with a bag in her hand. The biggest smile crosses her face when our eyes meet. I set all of my belongings on the couch and dart over with my arms ready to embrace her. It's been so long since we've seen each other. Too long.

"Oh, my gosh! You're here!" I say excitedly. She gently strokes my snowy hair.

"I thought I'd visit. Happy late birthday, sweetie," she says. Silent, happy tears stream down my cheeks. She must hear me silently sobbing because she looks back up at me, wiping the droplets away with her thumbs.

"I know it's been a while."

I pull away and wipe my eyes again. I didn't mean to cry but seeing my mother broke every barrier I've built. They tumble down, and alongside them come pent-up tears. "I have missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, but now I'm here! So, be happy."

"I am," I say. We both chuckle and make our way to the couch. I tell her everything that has happened from work to how life is going, leaving out last night's fiasco regarding Miles. She tells me about Sierra and how her studies abroad are going great so far. I'm glad her first year of college is going better than mine.

We talk about my mother and Joey and how they're planning a long vacation since both of the children are out of the house. I'm super happy everything is going well for them. After raising two crazy girls, they deserve all the relaxation they can get.

Her head cocks to the side, and a smug smile contorts her face. "How's your love life?"

Oh no, there it is.

"You know." I wave my hands around. "It is nonexistent at the moment."

She snorts. "You work so hard all the time. Why don't you have some fun? Go get laid!"

"Mom!" I cringe and swat her knee. I may be twenty-two but, I do not want to talk about sex with my mother. I notice Max narrow his eyes at the flowers on the counter, then toward me, and I narrow my eyes back. I'm not talking about Miles.

"I'm serious though, give yourself a break. That doesn't mean it has to be with a guy, but do something kind for yourself," she says, and I nod. We chat a little longer and then turn in for the night. It's getting pretty late, and I have work tomorrow. I help her settle into the spare room, but instead of going to my room after, I sneak into Max's.

The door creaks open, revealing Max tangled in his bedsheets. Inconspicuously, I crawl beside him under the blankets. Without hesitation, he sleepily reaches his arms out and pulls me into his embrace.

"Hi, Izzy," he whispers.

"Hi."

"I didn't want to bother you and your mom, so I stayed in here."

I frown. "You wouldn't have been a bother."

"We talked a good bit before you arrived," he says. "She asked who the flowers were from and I told her I got you them."

I fall silent, and a second passes before either of us speaks.

"Are you okay?" Max asks.

I chew on the inside of my lip, trying to dismiss the sad feeling that courses through me. I know he's asking about Miles.As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm not okay. I have not seen him in person in two years, and all of the sudden we run into each other.

And when I looked into his eyes, for a split second it seemed as if nothing had happened between us. But there are two years of life in between us, two years of unspoken words and thoughts, and now he wants to go out for dinner. I'm not sure what to think.

"No." It comes out in a whisper, and he squeezes me tighter. I don't feel like crying, I'm not angry either. I'm only confused.

MILES

"Would you like anything else, Mr. Cunningham?" Autumn, my housekeeper, asks entering my study. I stop what I'm doing on my computer, looking up at her.

"No, thank you. It's late, you can head home for the night if you'd like," I say. She thanks me and hurries off. Leaning back in my chair, I run my hands down my face and exhale. It's been one hell of a day. Not because of work, because of my constant thinking.

The endless pit in my stomach is enormous.

Ever since I sent the bouquet, I've been glancing at my phone every minute, waiting to see a text message or call illuminate the screen. But after seeing her face the other night, seeing how broken she looked, I don't think I will hear from her soon.

I knew that day in the café, the day I told her I was leaving, things would be different.

I close my laptop, turn off my office lights, and head into the living room. The city's lights pour through the floor-to-ceiling windows, creating a calming atmosphere. Despite me not being calm. I should really get some sleep, I have an important conference tomorrow and If I don't force myself to go to bed, I won't have any luck.

So, I mosey off to my bedroom. The sound of my feet hitting the wood is all I can hear in my empty sky-high penthouse. After changing, I slip under my cool bed sheets and sigh because I'm alone another night.

They say money can't buy happiness. They were right. 

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading ♡

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 2.8K 59
This Story is a Sequel to Broken so I suggest you read that first before coming to this one because then you are not going to understand Anything. Th...
694K 29.5K 36
Isabella was not interested in falling in love. Marco was not looking for a relationship. The perfect combination for a foolproof agreement. Right? ...
245K 7.7K 20
**This story is, for the most part, still the same as before, however it was completely rewritten so some of the events and story lines have been cha...
872 377 22
It's easy to live in fictional world. Isabella will rather keep on dreaming over boys on TV screen like Khloe Rose than give her love to another man...