The Kennedys

By theattorneygeneral

People like to believe in fairytales. From THEATTORNEYGENERAL: Experience the story of America's royal family... More

Introduction
Author's Note
Chapter One - The Last Kennedy
Chapter Two - Mein Kraft
Chapter Three - Mirrors
Chapter Four - London Bridge
Chapter Five - The Golden Trio
Chapter Six - And So We Fight: Part One
Chapter Seven - And So We Fight: Part Two
Chapter Eight - Dust and Ashes
Chapter Nine - 1 0 9
Chapter Ten - Alone
Chapter Eleven - Spade Flush
Chapter Thirteen - The End Of An Era
Chapter Fourteen - Everything Is Beautiful
Chapter Fifteen - Off To The Races
Chapter Sixteen - When It's All Said And Done
Chapter Seventeen - Old Curses
Chapter Eighteen - Yield To Prayer
Chapter Nineteen - Let There Be Light
Chapter Twenty - Just the Beginning
Chapter Twenty-One: A Time For Greatness
Chapter Twenty-Two: Wednesday Morning
Chapter Twenty-Three: Mr. President!
Chapter Twenty-Four: Breaking Point - Part One
A Kennedy Christmas
Chapter Twenty-Five: Breaking Point - Part Two
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Call For Loyalty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Comfort of Love
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Life in Rosy Hues
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Entente Cordiale
Chapter Thirty: This Is Our Time
Chapter Thirty-One: Rumblings
Chapter Thirty-Two: Rising Into Love
Chapter Thirty-Three: London Town
Chapter Thirty-Four: Hope
Chapter Thirty-Five: End of the Line
Chapter Thirty-Six: Tap, Tap
Chapter Thirty-Seven: 11.22.63

Chapter Twelve - War, And Peace

540 13 1
By theattorneygeneral

Hyannis Port, Massachusetts - December 1944

Jack sat on the couch, reading a book. The house was eerily quiet and, for the first time since Joe Jr. died, he felt an overwhelming sense of calm. The phone broke the silence, with a loud ring. Rose had taken his siblings to mass, and Joe was walking the beach like he has every day for the last month. Jack got up and answered the phone.

"Kennedy Residence, John speaking."

"Jack?" He heard Kick's whimpering voice on the other end.

"Kick. I can't believe it, you never call!"

"I'm sorry, I've been busy, that's all." Jack noticed the sadness in his sister's voice, one that he hadn't heard since they were leaving London.

"Kick, what is it?"

"Billy's dead, Jack."

Kick sniffed on the other end, and Jack felt overwhelmed, again.

"Oh God. How?"

"A sniper hit him while he was flying. I found out in September."

"September? Why didn't you call sooner?"

"I needed time to get through the initial shock, and after that we had to sort out the will."

"We?"

"Billy's family and me."

"I see, what did you get?"

"A widow's dowry, but I lost the titles, Jack. Since Billy and I had no children."

"Who did it go to?"

"His brother."

"This isn't right. You lost your husband and now your means of living."

"They were nice and let me keep the London townhouse. I have a place to stay."

"What do you mean? You're not coming home?"

"Why would I come home?"

"Kick, your husband's dead. Don't you want to be with your family."

He heard Kick began to cry, "Oh Jack of course I do, but I couldn't. Not with Mama there."

"Kick—"

"No, I have a firm resolve about this. Yes, my husband is dead. But Mama turned against me simply because I loved him. I'm not ready to forgive her yet. Not when she practically disowned me."

Jack sighed, "Alright, if that's what you want."

"It isn't, but I'll deal with it."

"Can I at least tell her about his death?"

"Of course. I don't want to leave them in the dark. How is everyone, anyway?"

"Not good. Dad's in a bad place, he doesn't even say grace at the dinner table anymore and Mom goes to church every afternoon. They aren't on good terms."

"I am sorry to hear that."

"They'll get through it, they always do."

"I hope so."

At that moment Rose came in the door, having just returned from mass.

"Mom's home, so I have to go."

"Of course, tell everyone I love them."

Jack smiled, "I will."

Jack hung up the phone and turned towards his mother. He offered a meager smile.

"Who was that?" Rose asked, using a quiet tone.

Jack paused for a moment, unsure whether or not to tell his mother the truth, but decided he should.

"Kick."

"Oh?" Rose's voice sounded hopeful and optimistic for the first time in a month, and Jack wondered if she had finally forgiven her daughter.

"Yeah, she had some bad news, actually."

"Really? What's happened?"

"Billy was hit by a sniper a little while ago, he's dead."

Rose was silent for a moment, and Jack could see tears brimming, "Poor Kick's a widow?"

Jack hesitated, unsure what this was doing for his mother's nerves, "Yes."

"Oh, that poor thing. When can I speak to her?"

Jack looked at his mother in awe, "You really want to speak to her?"

Rose looked up at her son, "Of course I do. No matter what my past opinion was, Kick is my daughter, Protestant or Catholic."

Jack hugged his mother, "Oh Mom, you don't know how long I've waited for you to say that."

He let go of Rose, who went to the phone, picked it up, and dialed.

"Hello?"

Kick's voice sounded on the other end, and Rose's heart filled with love. Though she had never admitted it to anyone, she had missed her daughter.

"Kick?"

Kick recognized he voice immediately, and tears started falling down her face, "Mama? Of Mama it's so awful."

Rose, who was shedding her own tears of joy, spoke, "Oh I know dear, I know."

Jack felt pride surge through his soul, but it was cut off by the surge of pain he felt run through his back. He went to go sit down in the parlor, and felt himself crying because of the pain.

Jack heard the door open, and, assuming it was one of his sister's didn't get up to greet them.

Then, he heard a voice, "Jack, what's wrong?"

He looked up to see Bobby standing in the doorway, not a boy anymore. No, now he was tall with a beige sweater vest over his white shirt with brown slacks. He was unkempt, and his hair was a mess. He had the same solemn expression on his face that Jack had seen so many times before.

"Bobby?"

"Well, if I remember correctly, you prefer Black Robert."

Jack laughed, got up, and hugged his brother. Bobby hugged back, shocked.

"I didn't know you missed me so much."

Jack pulled away and looked at his brother, "You know what? Neither did I."

"Bobby?"

Jack saw his mother standing in the doorway, all smiles.

"Ma."

Bobby went over and hugged his mother. He hadn't been there since September, and he was the only child who could put her in a good mood.

"Oh, Bobby. I've missed you."

"That's a popular opinion today."

He broke away from his mother's embrace and looked around the room, "Where's Dad?"

"A walk." Jack replied, trying to sound breezy. He still wasn't sure if Rose liked speaking about him, but she didn't seem to mind.

"He'll be happy to see you." She said, adjusting Bobby's collar. "Look at you, you're a mess. Let's get you unpacked and fed."

Bobby laughed, "Okay."

He winked at Jack as he left the room, who had made his way back over to the sofa, the pain having returned to his back.

He had forgotten how old Bobby was, maybe because he always wanted him to stay the "runt of the litter", as his father called him. Or maybe because thinking of forging another close friendship with a brother would be too hard. But Jack didn't think of any of that, all he could do was concentrate on the pain.

"Still hurts, huh?"

Jack looked up to see his father in the doorway. Jack ignored the comment, not wanting to talk about his back.

"Bobby's back."

Joe looked up, "Oh really? Though I'd traumatized him so much as a kid he'd stay away after he got through high school."

Jack rolled his eyes at his father, "Not a funny joke, Dad."

"It was only half a joke."

Jack smirked, and got off the sofa.

"Really Jack, if you need to have surgery on that you should get it before you run for The House."

Jack looked at his father, confusion on his face, "Excuse me?"

"The 1946 election? When you run for the House of Representatives? I told you that you had to carry the flame months ago."

"Dad, Joe has just died I thought you were in a dark place."

Joe shook his head, "Jack, your brother worked his entire life for a political career. Now that he's gone, the least you could do is carry on his dream."

"Your dream, Dad. One that you brainwashed Joe to have. It isn't mine."

"It will be." said Joe, "I'll be damned if you let down this family. You're the eldest son now, you're who this family's dreams rely on now."

Jack felt the world closing in around him, and he looked at his father, and with a firm and steady voice, said: "No."

September 2nd, 1945

—–––——–—–————————–––——–—–————

PEACE! It's over!

Japan surrendered unconditionally tonight. History's most destructive war is over except for formalities.

—–––——–—–————————–––——–—–————

Jack sunk onto the couch joyfully when he read the headline. The entire family was planning to leave Hyannis Port since it was the end of the summer, but had extended their stay for a day for the end of the war.

He was sitting peacefully on the couch when his father walked in. Jack shrunk into himself, they had barely spoken since Jack had declined his offer to run in 1946.

"Do you need anything?" Jack asked. His father sat down next to him and picked up the newspaper.

"Good news."

Jack smiled, "Yeah, it really is." He hated this awkwardness between them.

"Look, Jack—"

"If you're going to pitch The House to me again then I don't want to hear it."

"I'm not." said Joe.

Jack looked at his father, surprised. "What?"

Joe sighed, "I've been thinking about it, and I need to let you do what you want. I can't force my lost dreams on you. It's wrong. So I got you a job."

"You what?"

Joe smiled, "I remember once you said a career in journalism would be rewarding so I got you a job as a special correspondent for Hearst Newspaper."

"Really?"

"Yes. I want you to have a fulfilling career."

Jack smiled, "Thanks Dad. I appreciate it."

"No problem." Joe patted his son on the back, and Jack left to play touch football.

Later that night, Joe picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"William?" Joe said through the receiver.

"Joe Kennedy. Did your son take the bait?"

"Yeah, he's accepted the job."

"Good."

"And you're sure you'll hold up your end of the deal, lots of public exposure?"

"Yes, Joe. Lots of public exposure. Though I don't know why you're doing this, I thought he said no to the big political career."

"He did, but I don't give up. John Kennedy will be the next President of the United States."

December, 1945 - Mont Tremblant Resort, Quebec

Jean Kennedy walked down the stairway of the ski lodge with her friend from school, Ethel Skakel. If she was being honest with herself, she had asked Ethel here because she thought that she would work well with her brother, Bobby, but he was entranced with her sister, Patricia, and he hadn't even gotten around to meeting Ethel.

"Jean?"

Jean snapped out of her thoughts.

"Yes?"

"You aren't paying attention to me!" said Ethel as they walked to the lounge.

"I'm sorry. I was thinking."

"Well I need the warmth of the fire and some hot chocolate."

Jean laughed, "Okay."

Ethel and Jean walked into the room, and there was Bobby, standing in front of the open fireplace. He has changed into his usual sweater vest and slacks. He wasn't sloppy and he was staring almost reflectfully looking into the fire.

"Bobby!"

Bobby turned around to face them, "This is my friend, Ethel Skakel."

Bobby smiled, "Hi."

Ethel smiled right back, "Hi."

Jean smiled as she made her way down the slopes with Ethel, whom was just as competitive as herself, and they were racing to the bottom. She was upset, Ethel and Bobby would work well together, and she wanted to throw them together somehow.

They made their way to the bottom of the slope, with Ethel winning the race. Jean pulled up to her.

"You're too good for me, Ethel Skakel."

Ethel laughed, "I doubt that, but thanks for the compliment."

Bobby made his way over with Patricia, laughing.

"Hey Jean, you lose another race?"

Jean sighed, "Yes."

"Who did you lose to?"

"Who do you think? Ethel!"

"Let's go up another hill, we can race again." Bobby suggested, "But I have to warn you, Ethel, I'll win."

"I'd like to see you try.", Ethel joked, and the four of them made their way up the slope.

Jack sat at the lodge, watching his siblings have fun. He wished his back was better so that he could ski, but he needed to talk to his father.

"Jack? You wanted to speak to me?"

Jack turned to see his father taking a seat across from him, "Yeah, Dad. I did."

"Well, what is it?" Joe asked.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm so grateful you let me focus on journalism and not a political career, but I've tried journalism, and I've decided to run for the House this year."

"What?" said Joe, his face brightening.

"Unless you don't want me too?" said Jack.

"No, of course I want you to! I just wasn't expecting this, that's all!"

Joe leaned over and hugged his son, and Jack hugged back.

"Thank you, Jack. You're fulfilling every dream I've ever had for this family just by trying."

Jack smiled, "It's no problem, Dad. I want to do this. For you just as much as for me."

Joe smiled back, "Well then, America, here comes Jack Kennedy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.4K 373 61
When tragedy strikes the Kennedys, Jack is left to raise a slightly disabled little girl by himself. Follow the adventure that Kate and Jack call li...
12 By 𝓕𝓙𝓞

Historical Fiction

967 16 15
it's been almost 11 years since the world has last seen the kennedy's, back in 1968 the first lady & 35th president of the us were parents to 7 girls...
84.3K 1.3K 64
11-22-63, a date that strikes sudden dread in the hearts of most. But what if it wasn't that way? No assassination...no assassination attempt. Jus...
The First Time By Joy

Historical Fiction

30.6K 316 26
A young girl's first time turns into a lifetime commitment.