Story Challenges- Those Three...

By VenusofLove

More

Story Challenges- Those Three Stupid Words! (boyxboy)

280 16 9
By VenusofLove

This is a story challenge issued by RaeKitano using props which means she tells us different stuff that we must have in our one shot or short story. These are the ones that she chose this time:

Start you story with - When I first saw him/her

Include an insult

Include a surprise

Include a poem

So that's what I did...or attempted to do. :) 

THOSE THREE STUPID WORDS! 

When I first saw him walk through the door of my homeroom class I knew that he was going to be trouble and my life would never be the same again.  I don’t know how I knew but god did I know and how right I was….

“Just do it.” I rolled my eyes and shoved my cell phone towards him, a smirk coming to my face as he slowly took it from me.

“But-“

“Come on Ian. Don’t back out now. A dare is a dare.” He bit down on his bottom lip and starred at the phone in his hand.

“All I have to do is insult whoever answers and then hang up?” He asked for the tenth time and I rolled my eyes grabbing the phone and punching in a number before turning the speaker on and throwing it back into his hands.

“Go.” I told him, holding in a laugh when his eyes got wide and I knew he would chicken out. I mean the boy doesn’t even swear and now I have him doing a prank call. He seemed to sweat with every ring and I’m positive he was praying that no one would answer.

“Hello-“

“YOU’RE MOM HAS A BIGGER PENIS THAN I DO!” Ian yelled out before mashing the end and throwing the phone back, missing and it landing on my bedroom floor. I didn’t even care as my mouth dropped open in shock. We starred at each other for a moment in silence. I could feel the laughter about to break through as Ian shook his head at himself.

“I did it.” He grinned smugly and that’s all it took for me to fall from the edge of the bed, laughing more than I had laughed in a long time. I could feel the muscles in my stomach cramping from the force of the hysteria that was taking me over.

“Oh my god.” I lifted my head and looked at Ian who had started to pout and laughed harder at his expression. “Ian.” I huffed pulling myself up from the floor.

“What are you laughing about Mason? I did what you dared me to.” He pouted more, crossing his arms over his chest and sticking his bottom lip out.

“Two-Two things.” I paused, having to take a few deep breaths before continuing. I couldn’t even look him in the eye or I’d be back on the floor. “First, I dared you to insult the person on the phone, not yourself.” I had to stop and take another breath when Ian huffed loudly.

“Shut up! It was the first thing I could think of. It’s not that easy under pressure you know!” He whined, a blush coming to his face and punched me in the shoulder causing the laughter to almost come back.

“Second,” I continued shaking my head. “That was your mom’s phone I called.” Ian gasped and jumped on top of me, the momentum propelling us to the floor.

“Liar! You are such a liar Mason!” I shook my head, grinning at him and he punched me over and over in the chest and stomach. “I hate you so much right now!” He hissed, pulling his arm back. I caught his fist in my hand before it had a chance to make contact and held it in the air.

“I’m sorry!” I yelled at him unable to wipe the grin from my face. “I didn’t know you would say that.”

“Shut up.” He yanked his hand out of my grip, crossing his arms over his chest and stuck his tongue out at me. I chuckled and laid my head back down on the floor as I stared up at him, seeing his deep brown eyes and short curly hair. His lip jutting out slightly as he eyed me back. I’m sure he was trying to come up with some kind of payback right about now.

“You’re so cute.” I mumbled, freezing at the same time as he froze on top of me. Oh god…did those words really come out of my mouth? Shit.

“What?” Ian whispered, starting to stand up and I could feel the panic beginning to raise, my heart increased and before I knew what I was doing I grabbed Ian around the waist, stopping him and flipped us until I was now pinning him to the floor under my body.

Shit. Yeah, didn’t think this one through did you Mason. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. “Look. I didn’t mean it like that.” I paused to take a breath and groaned internally when Ian just laid under me with his eyes as wide as I’ve ever seen them. “I mean, I’m not gay dude.”

“I didn’t say you were.”

“Then why are you freaking out?”

“Why are you?” He countered and I shook my head.

“I’m not!” I groaned in frustration as I leaned up, now straddling his waist. God! All this time I’ve spent hiding myself from him and I screw it all up with three simple, stupid words. Why would I say that? I’ve managed for the last two years, since we first met to hide the fact that I’m completely obsessed with him and now I’ve just ruined it! He says he wasn’t thinking I was gay but I can see the doubt in his eyes. I know he’s wondering even if he doesn’t know it yet.

I don’t even think I’m fully gay. I mean I’ve only ever liked him and he’s the only one that I’ve ever fantasized about in that way. I don’t even look at other guys and I’m still attracted to girls! So, I can’t be actually gay! I’ve got to be confused or something. Yeah, confused for the last two straight years?!

“Um, you can get off m-“

“Fine! I like you, ok! Like I like you like I like girls and dude, I really like girls!” I froze again, my back stiffened and I was scared to look at the boy lying under me. Oh. My. God. Now why the fuck did I say that?! I’m stupid. So stupid! I can’t believe that this is happening right now. I must want to lose every bit of friendship that I have with him. I must have a death wish because as soon as I get up I’m sure he’s going to kill me.

“Um…” He hesitated and I chanced a look down, “That’s um, a lot of likes…” He trailed off and I could see a blush appear on his cheeks. “You’re uh, really good at acting straight-“

“Whoa! Who said I wasn’t straight? I’m straight, ok.” I defended myself. I could feel the sweat start to bead on my back.

“But you said-“

“I know what I said.” I growled. “Look, ok. I’m straight but I’m just confused or something but I’m straight. It’s not like I want to go around kissing other guys only y-” I quickly shut my mouth before any more word vomit could get out and I could feel myself getting mad. Not at him but at myself and I jumped up from the position we were in and started pacing back and forth across my room. “Let’s just forget what I said and go back to the way we were.” I stopped to look over at him only to see he was still lying on my floor in the same place I had left him, starring at my ceiling. “Great, I broke you.” I huffed, walking over to look down into his eyes. “I’m sorry.” I said the first thing that came to mind.

He stayed quiet; the only thing that alerted me to him actually hearing me was how he started to chew on his bottom lip. I know he only does that when he’s thinking and I really didn’t know what he was thinking.

“This doesn’t have to change us. I mean were cool, right?” He still didn’t talk and I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to steady my erratic heartbeat. “Ian…” I huffed out only to flinch as a hand touched my leg. I opened my eyes and nervously waited to hear what he had to say.

“You should write me a poem.” He lightly smiled and my eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. Ok...not what I was thinking would come out of his mouth.

“A poem? What? Why? What?” Ian snickered and leaned on his elbow still looking up at me.

“Well you said you loved me so prove it.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“Like. I said I liked you.” I mumbled, “And how is a poem going to prove it?”

“Fine.” He rolled his eyes, “Write me a poem to prove your like for me.” He chuckled, “I mean you did dare me to insult someone over the phone who happened to be my mother. So, write me a poem. Now.” His smirk widened and I could see a hint of evilness in his eyes.

I stood straight for another moment before sighing and stomping over to my desk that was in the corner of my room. A poem? Really. What a bunch of crap! Who writes poems to prove their like?! I grumbled to myself as I slammed a piece of paper on to the top of my desk and jerked a pen from one of the drawers. I could hear Ian laughing behind me and I was tempted to flip him the finger.

And how did this turn from me being terrified that my best friend was going to hate me to me having to do this? Is he fine with me liking him? He’s not running screaming or trying to stab me so he must be ok with it. Maybe he even likes me back—nah, he’s probably just doing this for revenge. Awesome. Now I have to look forward to him holding this above my head for the rest of my life. I groaned again and hunched over the desk.

Like I know how to write a poem! I sighed and started writing the only thing that came to mind. It took a good twenty minutes to get the words from my head to the paper and I looked over it rolling my eyes and shaking my head. This. Is. Crap.

“Come on Mason. Aren’t you done yet?” I glared at Ian. With him asking that every other minute was really not helping at the moment!

“God, you’re annoying.” I hissed low enough for only myself to hear. “Yeah, yeah. Shut up. I’m done.” I turned around in my seat and held out the paper to him. He eyed it for a second before grinning and raising an eyebrow in my direction.

“Well read it to me then.”

“Hell no!” Yeah…HELL NO!

“But I thought you loved me?” He stuck his bottom lip out in the classic puppy dog look. “Please read it to me.”

I growled, crumpling the paper in my hand slightly. “Like. I said like.” I gritted my teeth and ignored his smile as I brought the paper back and stared down at the words. I sighed once before starting to read the words.

“I knew my life would forever be changed.

From the moment you opened your mouth

Till the moment our eyes first met.

You’re cemented in my mind and

Secured in my heart.

If I stopped breathing tonight 

I’ll go to heaven a happy guy

Knowing that you were in my life.

If you could feel what’s in my heart

Then you’d-“

“Stop. Just stop.” Ian laughed, clutching his stomach. “That’s so bad. You’re so horrible Mason!” He continued to laugh and I’m sure I was blushing a bright red.

“Like you could do better! Stop laughing! I have another one.” I waited for him to calm down before continuing. “Roses are Red, Violets are Blue. I suck at writing poems but hey you’re cute!” I winked at him, chuckling in victory as he was the one blushing now.

“You’re so corny.” He whispered, avoiding eye contact. “And now I’m feeling like a girl that just got confessed to.”

“Well you’re not a girl but the rest is pretty accurate.” I shrugged at him, suddenly nervous now that we’ve both calmed down a bit. I still have no clue what he’s actually thinking and feeling about all this. He seems to be taking it well and if I actually dared to hope it seemed like he might feel the same way but really when has anything in my life ever go the way I want it.

Ian sighed and opened his mouth before closing it only to open it once again. He shook his head and closed his mouth, now glaring at my bedspread. I would have laughed at the adorable way he looked when he was concentrating but I didn’t want to alert him to my presence. I’m thinking that if I slowly take a few steps closer to the door then I could make it out of my room and forget this day ever happened. I’ve never been good in dramatic situations and the tension in the room at the moment is almost overwhelming.

I made it half way to the door before Ian’s head shot up with a glare. “Where are you going?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Uh. I was just-“

“Leaving?” He finished for me still giving me that look. The one that said he would be able to see straight through my bullshit and I should just take the easy way out and tell him the truth. But with me being me I of course lie to get out of a bad situation.

“I wasn’t going to leave.” I lied, “I just remembered I had a surprise for you and was going to get it.” I smiled and he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“Right, a surprise that you suddenly just remembered. Well, ok. Go get my surprise Mason.” He smirked. “In fact I’ll just come with you.” He jumped up from the bed and opened the door, gesturing with one hand that I should go first.

“Fine.” I mumbled, walking slowly past him to the hall outside my room. Wow, first a poem and now I have to magically come up with some surprise that I claimed to have for him. Damn, I should have just told him that I wanted to get the hell away from the stress that was on the verge of giving me a teenage heart attack!

We walked down the hall till we made it to my living room and I paused, ignoring Ian who was tapping his foot behind me. Ok, if I was a surprise that didn’t know I was a surprise where would I be? I looked around the room, spotting nothing. I sighed, walking into the connecting kitchen, spotting my mom at the stove, stirring something in a pot. She glanced over at us before returning to the food at the stove.

“Hi boys.”

“Hey.” Ian waved at her as I ignored her and continued to look around the kitchen stopping at the fridge before opening it. Well he does like soda maybe I can pass off a Dr. Pepper as his surprise. I mean, it’s cold and refreshing. Who wouldn’t like that as a present? Yep, I suck at this. I sighed to myself and reached into the fridge.

“Oh, Ian. Are you staying for supper?” I vaguely heard my mom ask. “I believe I’m making your favorite-“

“SURPRISE!” I yelled, jumping and yanking my head out of the fridge, hitting it on the top. “Shit!” I swore rubbing my head and slamming the door of the fridge closed. I glared at it for a moment before turning. “Hah! Told you I had a surprise for you! Were making your favorite for supper!” I smiled smugly before realizing what I had in my hand. “And this also.” I shoved the soda into his hand.

“What are you talking-“

“Mom. I got this, ok.” I shot her a look and she put her hands up in amusement.

“Ok. Mason.” She turned back to the stove.

“So you’re saying this was all your idea?” Ian covered his mouth with one hand but I could tell from his eyes that he was trying not to smile. He looked at the can in his other hand and snorted before putting it onto the counter.

“I thought you didn’t like Dr. Pepper.” My mom commented and I rolled my eyes. Really Mom. As if I didn’t know what my best friend likes! I shook my head about to tell her to butt out once again before Ian’s words stopped me with a frown.

“I don’t.” He chuckled.

“Yes you do.” I told him, feeling yet again a blush coming to my face. “Man, its hard liking someone!”

“What?” My mom turned again, this time with a look of disbelief on her face. My own eyes widened and I couldn’t stop the sputtering that came.

“What? No! What? Mom are you ok? Did you burn yourself. You should probably go to the hospital and get that looked at. I wouldn’t want you getting gang green or whatever. How would you clean the house, cook, and wash my clothes with only one hand. Yeah, they have those robot hands now and all but you’re kind of old and let's be honest here you don’t even know how to download a simple app on your phone so do you really think you’d be able to work a robot hand?” Ian’s laughter had my words coming to a stop and I groaned loudly. “Fine. Yes. Mom. I like Ian. My best friend Ian. Now you know! Can you stop with the interrogating already?!” I huffed crossing my arms. Half way through I noticed my mom’s mouth drop open and it still hasn’t closed. I grabbed Ian’s arm, taking this chance to get us the hell out of there. I dragged him all the way outside, not stopping until we were on the sidewalk a good hundred feet from my yard.

I dropped Ian’s arm and rubbed my hands down my face. I suddenly felt really tired. I could feel a headache starting up. “Can we please just forget this day ever happened?” I really wanted him to agree. I just wanted to turn back time to before I said those three stupid words. To when we were fine and laughing and joking and being friends-

“No, we really can’t.” Ian said and I huffed out a breath, turning to face him fully. “I don’t want to.” He said simply before grinning and grabbing the back of my head, pulling me down until our lips met. My heart skipped a beat and I stood there with wide eyes, not daring to move and before I knew it, I was being pushed back and Ian was smiling at me.

“You just…kissed...so you…” I couldn’t even get the words out. I touched my lips with my fingertips, the haze slowly starting to leave me. “So you like me to?” I mumbled, barely wanting to believe that’s true but really hoping that I didn’t just dream what happened.

“Well yeah.” He shrugged. “I’ve probably liked you for as long as you liked me.” He chuckled as my mouth dropped open again.

He likes me. Me. Did I just hear him right? Yeah, I did and that means that…HE’S BEEN PLAYING WITH ME THIS WHOLE TIME! All the confusion and acting and...and THAT DAMN POEM!

I refused to let the embarrassment of the dreaded poem take me over instead focusing on not the fact that he likes me back and we just had our very first kiss. No I decided to focus on the anger of knowing that I just spent the last hours of my life in a complete sense of humiliation!

“You jerk.” I hissed at him and he laughed. LAUGHED! ” I growled at him before stomping my way back to my house.

“What about my surprise dinner?” He yelled out and I flipped him the finger.

“I hate you, Ian!” I yelled back.

“But I thought you loved me?”

“LIKE! I SAID LIKE!” The last thing I saw as I shut my front door was my best friend grinning like a fool on the sidewalk outside of my house. What. An. Asshole. I smiled, shaking my head and knowing that my life was never going to be the same.  

Continue Reading