The Bridge: A Science Fiction...

By Leoduhvinci

Centuries after an asteroid smashes into a star ship, the inhabitants must learn to survive space without te... More

Chapter 1: The Hand of God
Chapter 2: Stories
Chapter 3: Efficiency
Chapter 4: Of Ships and Sheep
Chapter 5: Tests
Chapter 6: Tomato
Chapter 7: Porters and Punches
Chapter 8: Fishers of Men
Chapter 9: Control
Chapter 10: Of Feasts and Famine
Chapter 11: Journals
Chapter 12: Let There Be Light
Chapter 13: Countdown
Chapter 14: Cascade
Chapter 15: Necti
Chapter 16: Darker Things
Chapter 17: Airlock Restored
Chapter 18: Strawberries
Chapter 19: Birthday Feast
Chapter 20: Braces
Chapter 21: Succession
Chapter 22: Airomem
Chapter 23: A Stunned Darkness
Chapter 24: The Divide
Chapter 25: Prometh
Chapter 26: Seeds
Chapter 27: Sparring
Chapter 28: Let It Be Known
Chapter 29: Allies
Chapter 30: Blueprints
Chapter 31: Bait
Chapter 32: Fair Trade
Chapter 33: The Omni-Cutter
Chapter 34: Connect
Chapter 35: Crossed
Chapter 36: The Room
Chapter 37: Poison
Chapter 38: Sparks
Chapter 39: Table scraps
Chapter 40: Changes
Chapter 41: Shifting
Chapter 42: Eruption
Chapter 43: Awakening
Chapter 44: Capture
Chapter 45: Wrath
Chapter 46
Untitled Part 48
Chapter 48 and 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter75
Chapter 76
Untitled Part 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Sequel to The Bridge

Chapter 66

1.3K 214 11
By Leoduhvinci

"Elliott!" I shouted as he came into view from around a corner, Ruth and Hannah at his side, and Tom behind him. I'd passed through dozens of wanderers before finding him, yet sounds had emanated from each fork I had passed, sounds from people diffusing into every possible direction. And while I knew I had not covered the breadth of the expanding crowd, by finding Elliott, I had reached the deepest end of it.

"Horatius!" he answered, leaping forward. "What's happening? Why did Airomem shut off the power?"

"She didn't do it this time," I answered. "It was bad timing. According to her, we are out of it, like a glass empty of water."

"I didn't realize it would come so soon," responded Elliott, "or at such an inopportune time."

"Neither did we," I said, "or we would have been more prepared. But now we have to herd everyone towards the bridge. We can't leave anyone behind, not after they trusted us."

Elliott shook his head, his eyes sunken.

"We're scattered from end to end, Horatius. Even with hours, there's no way we could find everyone. We've done our best to contain the line ahead of us, but even so, there are those that could have looped behind us."

"Well, we have to try," I said and felt my throat closing. "I can't, I can't lead them to starvation. Not again."

Elliott gripped my arm and spoke, his voice low and steady.

"You did what you thought was right, Horatius. Had we only followed tradition, had we never strayed, we would never have made it this far. Mistakes are impossible to avoid when striking a new path, and we are stepping away from one hundreds of years old. Leaping away from it. And we've had our fair share of mistakes. But now, now we have to continue pushing forward. To save who we can and to recognize that those who we can't are those that the mistakes have claimed."

"But –"

"Change cannot happen without resistance. Now, Horatius, you've traveled backwards to find us; let's travel forward to find the bridge. And save who we can before it's too late."

He leapt forward, pulling Hannah and Ruth behind him, and leaving Tom and me to follow. Despite his size, or his lumbering characteristics in normal gravity, Tom exhibited more grace than any of us maneuvering in weightlessness, using light touches against the walls to steady himself and maintain his momentum. The only other place I'd ever seen him so at ease was in the heavy room, back when I had joined him as a porter, back before disaster had struck.

And after a moment of silence, Tom spoke, his eyes straight ahead.

"Tom strongest man on this side of ship," he said, his voice reassuring. "But even Tom cannot carry everything. Horatius can't carry everyone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 56 13
What would it take for you to give up everything you know and cross 500 years worth of the blackness of space to settle on a new, uninhabited planet...
228 24 18
The year is 2067. Earth's life is falling to pieces due to the waging of war across all countries. The only solution? Find a way off of it. Tayas has...
Oriehn By A

Science Fiction

88.1K 12.1K 48
He kneaded his lips together. "You are not a warden," He croaked. At hearing his voice, raspy from underuse, I stilled but nevertheless nodded. He vi...
50K 1.6K 38
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION "Ara . . . I made a mistake, we all did . . . go back to the beginning . . . it's not too late." As the only female to survive...