Manhattan Dreams ✅

By JoshayaShipper4Ever

♡ Joshaya AU ♡ Maya is an aspiring ballerina who is more than ready to start her life at Manhattan School of... More

1. Boys
2. Tipsy
3. Aftermath
4. Girlfriends
5. Morgan
6. Clubbing
8. Shock
9. Dating
10. Honesty
11. Skipping
12. Performing
13. Bad
14. Party
15. Preparing
16. Invasion
17. Fighting
18. Desires
19. Frustration
20. Loss
21. Goodbye
22. Overwhelmed
23. Back
24. Drunk
25. Someday
26. Practices
27. Scary
28. Frenemies
29. Chaos
30. Auditions
31. Home
32. Thankful
33. Friday
34. Reality
35. Unplugged
36. Idiots
37. Showcase
38. Worries
39. Alone
40. Showbiz
41. Deal
42. Neglect
43. Celebrate
44. Checking
45. Miscommunications
46. Emotions
47. Executives
48. Philly
49. Laughter
50. Promise
51. Squad
52. Last
53. Distance
54. Three
55. Missing
56. Reunited

7. Break-Up

3.1K 88 39
By JoshayaShipper4Ever

The next morning the last thing I want to do is go to class but I already skipped last week, there was no way I could skip again. I'm lying in bed trying to find motivation to get up when my phone rings, I reach over to grab it, smiling when I see my mom's name on the screen.

"Hello" I answer drowsily.

"Hey baby girl. How's it going?" she asks curiously as I sit up, noticing for the first time that my best friend's bed is empty.

"It's going okay I guess" I sigh. "It's been a lot in all honesty."

"Well baby girl we warned you that this school was gonna be a lot" she reminds me as I run my fingers through my hair.

"School is a lot but that's" I take a deep breath, "that's not exactly what I mean."

There's a long pause before my mother speaks again, "so, what are we talking about?" she asks curiously.

"There's a boy" I say softly, closing my eyes, awaiting my mom's reaction.

"A boy?" she questions, "do you have a boyfriend?" she asks as I let out a chuckle.

"Actually I do" I laugh lightly, "but uh, it's really, really complicated."

"Mhm and why is that?" she asks curiously.

"I have a crush on Riley's uncle" I sigh, "and a friend I've made offered to pretend to be my boyfriend" I explain.

"I'm sorry" she says confused, "is there a reason you don't just date the boy you like?"

"He has a bitchy girlfriend" I mutter making my mom chuckle.

"I see" she says, "well I'd have to agree that things are a little complicated" she laughs lightly.

"Yea" I sigh, running my fingers through my tangled locks as the door to my dorm opens and my best friend walks in carrying her shoes from last night. "And it just got a little more interesting. Mom I'm gonna have to call you back. I love you" I say before hanging up the phone and staring intrigued at my best friend.

"Don't start" she says as a giggle bubbles out of her making a smile pull at my lips.

"Did you sleep with him?" I exclaim as a blush falls on her cheeks but she shakes her head.

"He brought me back to campus and we were starving so we ordered pizza, watched a movie and fell asleep. Nothing happened" she insists, a smile wide on her face.

"He end things with the she-devil yet?" I question as she shakes her head, dropping her shoes to the floor.

"I'm not getting my hopes up" she sighs.

"He'll see you're perfect for each other. I promise" I smile as I climb out of bed. "You going to class?"

"We better" she laughs as she unzips her dress and lets it fall to the floor before opening her dresser to retrieve her ballet clothes. "Seeing as though we skipped last week."

"That's what I was thinking" I reply as I dig out my clothes and quickly change.

"You talk to Josh yet?" Riley questions as she pins her bun to the top of her head.

"Nope" I reply, popping the p. "I'm done Riles" I sigh, "I can't do it anymore."

"So what are you gonna do?"

"I think I just need to end this fake relationship with Zay and try my best to focus on school" I reply as I grab my duffel bag and sling it over my shoulder.

"You sure that's what you want?"

"It's what I need" I reply as I open our door and hold it open for her. "You ready?"

"Mhm" she smiles as she follows after me.

*************************************************************************************

"I think I'm gonna head back to the room for a nap" Riley says as we walk out of the studio after morning practice.

"You should see if Smackle's home" I reply, our friend was starting to skip more and more and I was starting to get a bit worried.

"Where are you going?" she questions as I spot Zay off in the distance talking to some girls from one of his classes.

"I have something I need to end" I sigh as I walk over to my fake boyfriend. "Ehm" I say, catching the girl's attention. They all look at me annoyed but quickly dissipate, leaving me alone with Zay.

"Hey honey nugget what's up?" he asks curiously.

"I think we need to end this" I say bluntly, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"What? Why?" he asks confused, "what the hell did I miss last night?" he chuckles as I shake my head.

"I just think I need to start focusing on school" I shrug.

"What did he do?" he questions, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Zay" I sigh but he shakes his head.

"What did he do?" he asks again making me sigh as I reach up to untie my bun, letting my hair cascade down my shoulders.

"He didn't do anything, I just can't take Sophie anymore" I reply honestly. "I can't compete with her."

"More like the other way around" he replies, "Maya you are an amazing girl and any guy would be so beyond lucky to have you" he says seriously.

"But I'm not like Sophie."

"Honey what guy in a relationship wants his girlfriend to be fucking some other guy?" he questions with a raise of his eyebrow.

"I mean" I laugh lightly as he rolls his eyes playfully.

"If he really chooses her over you then he's insane Maya" he says seriously.

"Maya" I hear behind me, turning to see Josh standing there. "Can I um borrow you for a sec?"

"She's not a library book" Zay laughs. "Consider us broken up honey nugget" he smiles as he kisses my cheek. "See you later" he adds before disappearing down the hall.

"You and Zay are over?" Josh questions as I shrug.

"Mhm" I nod as I turn to face him. "What do you want?" I ask annoyed.

"Come here" he says as he grabs my hand and pulls me into an empty studio. He locks the door while I drop my bag to the floor and walk over to the barre. I was in a dance studio, this gave me an upper hand. I felt at home in a studio, I could breathe here.

"What do you want?" I ask as I lean against the barre while looking up at him.

"Sophie says you threw your drink at her with no provocation" he explains, crossing his arms over his chest. "That she came over to tell you how amazing you were on stage and you threw your drink at her because you're just so jealous of her" he says, his eyebrows furrowing. "Somehow, I don't believe that for a second."

"Well if that's what she says happened" I shrug as he moans in annoyance, throwing his hands up.

"Seriously Maya?" he shouts, "what the fuck? Just talk to me" he exclaims.

"Why? What's the point?" I laugh.

"I'm not an idiot" he says bluntly making me look at him confused, he continues without letting me reply, "the other morning in the bathroom" he chuckles, "not gonna bullshit you Maya, I've had sex with Sophie, I know what she sounds like" he says. "I knew the second I walked in that she was in there with someone else, hell I've had a feeling for a while."

"Then why?" I start but he cuts me off.

"I've been with her so long, I guess I was afraid of what would happen if I dumped her" he shrugs, "you get comfortable Maya."

"Even if she's a lying bitch?" I ask as he chuckles, taking a step towards me.

"Sometimes a guy can be blind until a gorgeous blonde shows up and opens his eyes" he says as he closes the distance between us. "You really done with Zay?" he asks. I bite my lip as I take a step back from him.

"Josh" I say softly.

"What?" he questions.

"I was never actually with him" I confess, biting my lip as I avert my eyes to the ground.

"What do you mean you weren't with him?" he asks confused as I chance a look up at him. I take a deep breath and shrug.

"I liked you and you had Sophie. It was my way of protecting myself" I sigh. "I ended it though."

"Why? Because you thought I'd end things with Sophie and you'd have your shot?" he asks angrily as I shake my head.

"What? No" I exclaim. "I didn't intend on this at all" I insist. "Josh you have to believe me."

"Right, just like I'm supposed to believe Sophie" he scoffs, "I'm done Maya" he snips as he turns and leaves the studio leaving me to fall into a puddle of tears.

*************************************************************************************

"You look like shit" Lucas says as he comes to sit beside me under a tree in the middle of the quad. I chuckle as I grab a grape from the plastic container I had beside me.

After I finally left the studio I needed air and I really needed to get started on some homework so I packed up some grapes, grabbed my backpack and headed out to the quad to enjoy the crisp fall air.

"Thank you" I reply unamused.

"What happened?" he questions as he relaxes against the tree, resting his hands behind his head.

"I'll tell you once you tell me what your intentions with Riley are" I fire back as a smile pulls at his lips.

"I intend to break things off with Missy and try things out with Riles" he says happily. "I just gotta figure out how to end things with her without making Riley her prime enemy number one" he sighs, "she's too good for me already, the last thing I want is for my ex to make her life a living hell."

I smile as I look into the Texan's emerald green eyes, "she's not too good for you, she's actually pretty damn perfect for you" I admit, "and as for Missy" I shrug, "if Riley has you then I'm pretty sure she could care less what Missy says or does."

"We'll see" he sighs, running his fingers through his ashy blonde hair, "now what about you?" he questions. "What's up?"

"I pretended to date Zay and blew up any possible future with Josh" I reply as his eyes widen in shock. "What?" I laugh lightly, surprised at his reaction.

"Nothing" he chuckles, "it's just the entire campus is buzzing about why the hell Josh finally broke up with Sophie and none of them include the actual reason."

"What are you talking about?" I ask confused.

"Josh broke up with Sophie earlier today" he says, as if this is information I should already have, "he did it in the middle of the union, it was pretty epic" he laughs lightly. "Everyone's taking bets as to why it happened and so far the most popular theory is she was fucking someone else but no one has even mentioned that it was because he's in love with you" he says as I shake my head.

"The popular theory is the correct one" I give, "she was cheating on him."

"Oh so you're just a bonus then" he smirks.

"Look" I sigh, "anything between us I shattered so" I trail off, running my fingers through my hair.

"If he's as crazy about you as I think he is, then he'll forgive you" he assures me as his eyes land on Missy. "Speaking of crazy" he sighs as he stands up. "I'll see you later blondie" he smirks before walking off to join his girlfriend.

Maybe having him around wouldn't be so bad.

*************************************************************************************

"Long time no see" I comment as Smackle comes to sit with us at dinner later that night. It's just Riley and I since Josh is pissed at me, Lucas is attempting to find the best way to end things with Missy and Zay is spending extra time in the studio tonight.

"Farkle had some dinner thing with his family" she complains as she reaches over to steal a fry from Riley's plate. "What's been going on friends?" she asks curiously.

"I think we all wanna know what's going on with you" I reply honestly as I dip a piece of chicken into my ranch cup before taking a bite.

"What do you mean?" she questions as she steals another fry from Riley.

"Get your own fries" Riley laughs as she slaps Smackle's hand, making her drop the fry.

"Whatever" Smackle replies, "I've been good. Can't complain."

"Your teachers might" I reply honestly, "seriously Is how many classes have you skipped?"

"It's not a big deal" she replies nonchalantly. "It's the beginning of the semester" she shrugs.

"Okay" I give, deciding it's best to drop the subject. I know that there's no arguing with her, she's made up her mind. "I think I'm gonna head back to the room" I add as I stand up and grab my garbage. "I'm exhausted."

"You want me to come?" Riley asks as I shake my head.

"No I'm okay" I smile as I head off to throw away my stuff. I dispose of my garbage and head off down the hallway to my dorm. I turn the corner to get to my hall and my breath leaves my lungs when my eyes land on Sophie walking out of her dorm with a guy on her arm.

"You have got to be kidding me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 3.3K 40
♡ Joshaya AU ♡ Babies aren't usually a blessing right out of high school but for Maya and Dean, their son was the best thing that could've ever happe...
183K 4.5K 48
A thunderstorm is all it takes for secrets to be revealed. Usually the truth sets you free but not in this case. The truth is, Josh broke his promise...
45.6K 936 18
It's Senior year, and Riley and her friends, Farkle, Maya and Lucas (her dreamy eyed boyfriend) are trying to make the best of it. But with the retur...
144K 3.7K 55
Maya Hunter: Maya's life was perfect. She had a family that loved her, a boyfriend who adored her (at least when he wasn't adoring other girls), and...