Little Girl | L. Hemmings

By hunflowers

"Luke, my brother would kill us." "And that's why, little girl, we won't tell anyone." ⇢ In which seventeen y... More

prologue
one - miss me
two - hotness
three - good influence
four - mall boy
five - stockings
six - mistletoe
seven - christmas
eight - big kiss
nine - class clown
ten - always
eleven - study buddy
twelve - garbage can
thirteen - new girl
fourteen - cupid plays a wicked game
fifteen - son of a bitch
sixteen - water will suffice
seventeen - I dont think so
eighteen - sky blue eyes
nineteen - I'm gonna faint
twenty - go stalk someone else
twentyone - little girl
twentytwo - just a friend
twentyfour - chopsticks
twentyfive - picks
twentysix - up in my business
twentyseven - male genitalia
twentyeight - dream
twentynine - how it's done
thirty - date place
thirtyone - cheater
thirtytwo - sober
thirtythree - boyfriend
thirtyfour - everlasting truth
thirtyfive - his pretty little face
thirtysix - mature
new book

twentythree - left, right

7.1K 146 97
By hunflowers

     Getting ready for tonight wasn't exactly my idea of fun. I didn't know where Luke was taking me and although I could've asked him, just two seconds ago, a little mystery seemed enticing. But, the struggle that came along with it, is that I in fact have no clue what to wear.

     I knew Luke liked to eat, but I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a cheesy restaurant or movie kind of date. At least I hoped.

     I would ask for help from Lillian or Olivia, but the less anyone knows about any of this for right now, is best.

I searched through my closet high and low for the perfect first date outfit. Possibilities are endless and I just can't seem to wrap my brain around one.

I finally had decided that because it was cold, I was going to go for a pair of leggings, an oversized sweater, and a pair tall UGGS that I would roll down. It was simple, it was cute, it was just fine.

     It was three by the time I picked out my outfit, so I decided to go and take a shower to kill some time. It doesn't take me long at all to get ready so I had no clue what to do with myself in the meantime.

I waited until I was a prune to leave the shower. Also because Harry was on the decibel level of screaming at me to get out of the bathroom. I wanted to get to the bottom of this anger that resonated in both guys.

     I began to get ready, seeing as Luke should be here in an hour-and-a-half or so. I blow dried my hair, making sure it was completely dry so I didn't have any malfunctions when straightening my hair.

     After doing so, I applied my makeup first then straightened my hair, then put my outfit on. I was able to do all of this and still have about ten minutes to spare. I was a pro at this, let's not even try to lie.

The next thing I know, I have a message from Luke on my phone that he's outside. Thank God Harry's room is at the back of the house because this way he wouldn't see Luke's car either. I may be a little too paranoid about this, but you don't know my brother. Did you see how he was when I was in the shower?

     I bid goodbye to my mom, and walked out of the house without a hint of suspicion. While my brother and– sometimes– I can see things that can't be seen by the naked eye, my mother can be quite oblivious to things that are handed to her on a silver platter. Got to love Fran.

     I spotted Luke's Honda Civic across the road and hurried over to get out of the bitter cold. I opened the door and hopped in, shutting the door quickly.

"Hey," he said, grabbing ahold of my hand on the middle console.

"Hi," I smiled.

He let go of my hand for a second to put the car in drive, then latched his back with mine. I could feel his thumb stroke against the back of my hand softly as he turned onto the main road.

     "Do I get to know where we're going?" I question, looking around my surroundings to see if I know where we could be heading.

     "No," he stated, smirking my way.

     "Awe, c'mon. Don't be a cliché," I pouted.

     "Ah, but those are the best stories," he informed sending now a cheeky grin my way.

I turned up the small hum of the radio, and looked out the window. The sun was just under the horizon, a small pink glow still showing under the dark blue. The moon shone bright throughout the star sprinkled sky, calming my nerves about tonight in the slightest.

     We continued on this road for about ten minutes before he made a right onto a back road. It then clicked into mind where we were going. There was hardly anything in this part of town except for one building.

"We're going ice skating?" I asked nervously. Fun fact, I was slightly terrified of ice skating.

"Yeah, is that okay?" He wondered, pulling into the parking lot.

"Of course, I just– well, suck at ice skating," I chuckled nervously, picking at the hem of my sweater.

"Well, an ex-girlfriend of mine was really into ice skating and she was able to teach me how to get my way around, so. . . I think this will be fun." He shut off the car and hurried around the hood to open my door for me.

     "Thank you. The times that I have been ice skating, or any skating matter of factly, I seem to get a big bruise on my butt the next day. It's never a good time," I shuddered, remember the thoughts.

     He laughed, showing his dimples under his slightly grown in beard, and opened the door for me.

     I smacked him on the shoulder and followed him to the front desk. "It is not funny! My tailbone was so sore."

We waited for the older couple in front of us to get their skates before we moved up. Luke greeted the girl behind the counter like they were good friends.

"And your size?" She asked politely, already walking back to the area of the skates.

"Nine," I replied. She nodded her head and searched the racks for my size and came back with both pairs of skates.

     "Thank you," we said in unison. I laughed and followed him as he lead me to the rink.

     "Try not to think about it too hard," Luke said, squeezing my knee as we sent down on a bench to put the skates on. Our shoes would go in little cubbies lined along the wall.

     I finished tying my left skate and took a deep breath. I held onto the wall and pushed myself up off the bench. I almost toppled over already, but I was able to catch myself. Lord, Jesus Christ, please make this night as less embarrassing as it can be.

     I was pretty empty for a Saturday night but I wasn't complaining. Less people to watch me fail miserably. Luke opened the little gate to the rink gesturing for me to head in first. I was hesitant at first considering I was wobbling just walking on stable ground, but I gathered up all the courage I could and stepped onto the ice. I held onto the rink wall for dear life and looked down to my feet like underneath me was an abyss and I was about to fall in.

     I heard Luke chuckle behind me and grab onto my waist. I shrieked as I almost fell over but he caught my fall.

     "Luke! Careful!" I screeched. I'm on the verge of crying.

     "Come on. You can stay on the wall but let's start moving." He held onto my hand and started dragging me behind him slowly so I wouldn't. . . die.

     I enjoyed watching him maneuver across the ice like a professional. Well, somewhat professional. But he was certainly better than me.

     I tried pushing off the wall the slightest which made me ecstatic for about three seconds before my feet stared to slip and I could feel myself lose balance. I grabbed back onto the wall and exhaled frustratedly.

"Okay, just pay attention to the rhythm of my feet," he instructed. I nodded my head and pouted as he let go of my hand to show me how to skate.

His long legs moved as elegantly as he could get for not being a professional skater. I watched at how he pushed his feet under him to give him more acceleration as he made laps around the rink.

I watched his feet move, taking mental notes on what to do myself.

Left, right. Left, right.

He skated back and forth for about two minutes before rejoining me on the wall.

"How was that?" He gloated, shoving his hands into his jean pockets.

"No need to act cocky, Mr. Hemmings. I wasn't expecting anything less," I shrugged. We began moving on the ice, taking it slow for my sake.

I removed my hand off the wall without him noticing and slowly moved myself without support. I don't know what made this different than any other time that I've been ice skating, but I was able to do this quite easier than what I remember. Lillian, being the ice skater that she is, has tried to get me on the ice and do some moves for a long time, but was never able to succeed with me. But, with Luke, I felt like this was becoming my second language.

He continued talking about his day, not paying attention to me moving on my own. I smiled in triumphant, feeling like a queen.

"Sammie, do I see you not using the wall for support?" He asked astonished, placing his hand over his heart in mock surprise.

"I think I'm getting the hang of it, if I do say so myself," I smiled brightly, but I went right back to furrowing my brows in concentration.

"Let's pick up the pace, yeah?" He pushed, placing his hand on the small of back, and moving me forward much quicker than my feet and brain could comprehend.

I grabbed onto his hand that was on my back and squeezed it hard, and gave him a glare. "You're lucky I'm doing what I'm doing."

"I'll make it a bet," he taunted, not removing his hand no matter how hard I squeezed.

I looked at him in his eyes and pursed my lips in thought. "Okay, let's hear it."

"If you can make it around the whole rink, without my, or the walls help, I'll give you fifty dollars." He smirked and stuck out his hand waiting for a shake.

Let's think about this for a second. I could successfully accomplish this challenge and get fifty dollars out of it; Or, I could fail miserably and fall and break my ass or head or every bone in my body in front of Luke. That guy I've liked for about four years.

"And what do you get out of this if I don't?" I questioned, raising my eyebrow.

"To pick you up."

Oh, my heart.

Before my mind could process what the right decision would be, I stuck my hand out and placed it in his.

"You got yourself a deal."

He did a small clap and led me to the area where hockey players would sit during a game.

"This will be the starting and finishing point. You make one lap around, with no help, in under five minutes and you get your prize," he gestured around the rink using his hands to help with his words.

"Under five minutes?! You know I can't do that!" I gulped, immediately regretting taking this bet.

"I believe in you. Now," he began, taking his phone out of his pocket to get the timer, "on your mark. . ."

I widened my eyes and moved to position. I could sense the stares from the few people around us. We probably looked insane even though we really weren't making a scene. Although now we were.

"Get set. . ."

He paused for what felt like minutes and just looked at me with a devilish grin on his face. And then without warning uttered the one word I hoped wasn't in his vocabulary.

"Go!"

I pushed on the ice, concentrating on the movement of my feet. Left, right, left, right. I neared the curve and held my breath, not wanting to disrupt the pattern I created.

I heard the ice crush under the skate, which created an aesthetically pleasing noise to my ears. It felt like forever to make it this far and I wasn't even halfway there yet. I looked across to Luke who held up two fingers probably signaling that two minutes have passed already. Crap.

I heaved and pushed myself harder. That feeling of wanting to cry came back because frustration flowed through my body. Like when I take tests. I just want cry because I feel like an idiot for not knowing a logarithm. Although I don't think the average human does know what that is.

I made it past the halfway point and continued on to the next bend, almost reaching my destination. He called out to me the four minute mark hit, and I was just about ready to curse him out for making me more nervous than I was. But soon I was closing in on him. I felt glory now rise through my body and I could see a yellow tag line across ready for me to hit into it like in a marathon.

But then the unexpected happen.

My skate hit a chip in the ice from previous skates hitting on it multiple times. I was sent forward, in what felt like slow motion. I reached my hand out to break my fall, which luckily I did in the nick of time, otherwise blood just may have been coming out of my head.

I heard Luke gasp and heard him hurry towards me. He kneeled over me and rushed words out, sounding like a jumbled mess. I was fine in all honesty, but my ankle was hurting like a bitch. But I zoned out the pain, and just began laughing. I caught him off guard with my obnoxious cackle but I couldn't help it. Soon he began to laugh with me. He shook his head while he laughed and began to help me up.

"Ow, ow, ow," I groaned. He looked at me wearily and helped me to a bench.

"Where does it hurt?" He asked.

"My ankle. I think I sprained it," I muttered, the pain now shooting through my leg as we kept moving.

He helped take off my skates and pushed my sock down to see a big bruise. Oh, great. This was all I needed. I don't know how I would tell this to my family.

     "We need to take you to the hospital, let's go." He informed. Luke already took off his skates, which made it quicker to return them and get out of here.

     I squealed as he picked me up bridal style. It would make it easier for us to make it out of here without me dragging us down. I held onto the skates in my free hand as he walked to the front desk. The girl wasn't there when we got back so I simply just placed them on the counter. Luke then walked us over to the cubbies where our shoes were being held and sat me on the bench for a second. He quickly shoved his boots on and handed me mine. I put my left boot on and held the other in my hand because there was no point in putting it on. He then snatched me back into his arms and hurried us out and too his car.

     "Heck of a first date, huh?" He chuckled, driving out of the parking lot.

I laughed with him. Even with this mess, this has been a great first date. Not that I have much to compare it too, but if it's with Luke, it's heaven.

"I think it's going great," I added. I placed my hand atop his on the gear shift and raised it to my lips. I saw a tinge of red show through his cheeks, making him cuter than he already was.

I need to stop, I'm such a creep.

I saw the hospital come into view, making me sigh in relief. My ankle continued to throb furiously, swelling raising intensely.

"I think I need to call my mom," I mentioned, glancing over to him.

"What're you gonna do?" He asked, somewhat nervously.

"Don't worry, I'll tell her I fell on ice outside, and you were pulling up and saw me fall," I shrugged. We pulled up to the emergency room parking and Luke hurried out of the car to bring me inside.

     While Luke grabbed the paperwork I was sat in a waiting room chair and called my mom. She sounded very tired like I woke her up but when I brought up the news she turned worried and told me she'd be here as soon as she can.

     It was about ten minutes before my mom and scurried in, looking for me.

     "Oh, Sammie! What did you do?" My mom hushed, sitting down next to me. I told her my white lie and she luckily bought it in a second. Said I'm prone to things like this. Can't necessarily blame her.

We waited in that waiting room for about forty-five minutes before a doctor escorted us to a private exam room. I always hated hospitals and this reason being one of them. It's an emergency, but hospital workers couldn't give a single care in the world unless you're dying on the floor with blood spewing out of you. Like, I'm surprised my foot hasn't fallen off with all this swelling.

And then the doctor began to ask a bunch of questions, too much that I was too tired respond. Luckily since Luke was there, he was able to tell most of it.

After that, x-rays were taken, which then led to about another hour of just waiting. I could see my mother doze off in the little chair in the corner of the room. I felt bad for her. She was pushing her self hard lately. Says it's better to get out of the house anyway.

"Thank you," I muttered to Luke, resting my head on his shoulder.

"For what?" He asked.

"Tonight. I had a great time," I said honestly. It really was a good time.

"To be honest, it wasn't supposed to end so quickly," he said sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Who said it had to end?"

He rose his eyebrows in surprise, and nodded his head.

"Well, with your mom here, don't you think she would think it's suspicious if she went home and you didn't come home after her. You are the one with the sprained ankle," he pointed out, making a halt in my plan.

But then an idea rose to my mind. I checked the time on my phone and saw it was ten past nine. I looked over to my mom and saw her mouth open with light snores exiting her lips.

I held up one finger to Luke, gesturing to give me a second.

"Mom," I began, she stirred a little bit but didn't wake up.

"Mom," I said again this time a little louder. She opened her eyes and rubbed them quickly, sitting up in her chair.

"What's wrong?" She asked worriedly, looking around the room.

"Nothing. This is going to take a while, so why don't you go home? You seem really tired and I'm sure we can take it from here," I motioned between me and Luke and he agreed with me.

"Are you sure?" She wondered, but she was already getting up to put on her coat.

"Yes, Mom. Go get some sleep." I shooed her away and she just laughed small. She kissed me on the cheek and gave Luke a hug before hurrying out of this horrendous place. Not even two minutes later, the doctor came in. He told us what was wrong and wrapped a white cast around my sprained ankle. Six weeks with this bad boy. Fashion was gonna be really fun to work with. I'd just have to wear sweatpants this whole time.

I was also given crutches but was told I'd have to leave in a wheelchair. Hospital rule. Doctor said to return back in two weeks for an update, and hopefully he would just have to give me a boot by that time instead of wearing this cast. It wasn't too bad of a sprain so hopefully things will look up.

I got settled into Luke's car, this obstruction becoming already difficult to deal with.

     He got in the car after me, turning the heat up immediately. I was working this boy real hard tonight and I couldn't help feeling bad.

     "Where to, Mr. Hemmings? We got about an hour before my family gets suspicious of where I am," I informed, tugging my seatbelt on.

      "Well, Miss. Laughlin, that would be a surprise as well," he smiled, holding onto my hand for about the umpteenth time that night. It was a sense of comfort I would never get over, and I could only hope it kept happening tonight.

✶ ✶ ✶

sorry sorry sorry

life's been hectic. finals are starting real soon and school is just about done and got personal drama going on ugh

buttttt not only was it a date night, but it was super long, and it'll be continuing on into the next chapter!! can i get woot!

if you guys wanna see more of me you can catch me on insta @ giannasantangelo_ or on snapchat @ gianna_1024 (shameless self promo lol. i need more friends) if you tell me you follow or added me on here, i'll be more than happy to follow/add back :)

don't forget to vote, comment, share, and add to your library to never miss an update!

stay rad xo
-g

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87K 1.5K 41
When 15 year old Abigail Hemmings falls for her brothers best friend, will the age difference be the problem, or will Abbie's brother be the problem...
4.1K 34 23
When Brooke turned 6 years old, both her parents and her older brother died in a car accident. She was sent to an orphanage directly after. 2 years l...
235K 3.8K 43
She never thought she would fall for him, of all people. But he knew he would fall for her. Even though her brother said no, they didn't care. All th...
200 4 22
Sometime people need a new beginning, for me, I didn't need one. My life was perfect and I love it, but my parents though to need on way from my sist...