Sugarcane Chronicles Volume I...

By JulyBecameDecember

Ryan is cursed and Brendon is adorable. Others are featured and weirds things happen. (inspired by the anime... More

Lost Found and so Confused
A Strange Encounter With Mr. Kitty
Back to School With a Crooked Tie
A Lunch Date With Ryan Spencer and Patrick
Stranger Danger!!
A Tour of the Ross-Smith-Stump House
The Big Secret
Spaghetti For Dinner
The New Sub's Kinda Hot
Pardon Me, But There is a Butt in My Face and I Believe it is Yours
A Little Less Touchy, A Little More Keys
Brendon Barsoap
The Dreaded Stethoscope
How 'Bout Some Air? It's Free!
Lunch With Dallon
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Has Nothing To Do With Music
Daniel
Friends For Now
For Narnia!
Cinnamon Soup
Soup Delivery
Just A Peek
Chick Flicks & Ice Cream
The Zombie Shelter
History or Chemistry?
It's Nice To Meet You Sally
Pumpkin Something
Everybody Needs a Little JT in Their Life
Giant Glob of Toothpaste
Improv Scene
It Was Shakespeare
School Fight
Ride Like The Wind!
Daniel Is a Friend
Weeks By Weekes
Pre-Wee Kiss
Mini Frank
The Library Incident
'Fun Facts' With Dallon
Lunch With Mikey Feat. Jake and Alan
Him
The Way House
Bagles Are Just Acoustic Donuts
Team Freebird
My Eyes Are Up Here, Tyler
Brandon and Rylie
Let's Make Purple
Onefive
Green Day Sucks Balls By The Way
The Return of Jake and Alan
Patrick, I Hope That's You
Nightmare
Hypnosis
Birthday Extravaglandazandapanda
Winter's Coming
The Battle of Spherical Snowfall
The Blue-Haired Fiend
Kid
Nature's Juice Box
Merry Christmas Bitches, Kiss My Ass
Slurp, Boom, Gone
Uke-gene
Lovebucket, Cuddlebunch, Brenny-Bear, Ry-Cakes
IfyanowutImean
When Valentine's Day Sneaks Up On You
Happy Valentine's Day, Bitches
The Sad Punk And The Lonely Virgin
Catastrophically, Inevitably, Completely
Kelly
Plan B(rendon)
Winkwinknudgenudge
The Tiny Man with the Tiny Chainsaw
Do You Have Any Cheerios?
Ryan's Smoking (Hot)
PB&J and Truth or Dare
The Plane(s)
To Love and Live Happily
Better Than Heaven
Drunken Tattooed Hearts
The Hangover Crew
The Fifth Ninja Turtle
Battle in the Key of F#major
He's Back
Cute Boys Dig Scars
Guess Who's Family
Han-gor-trac-eautif-ect
go read it
Q & A! [closed]
The As To Your Qs

Happy

8.9K 148 296
By JulyBecameDecember

*Ryan's POV*

"Hey Pete, I ran out of my contacts yesterday," I said, walking up to Pete.

"I knew there was a reason you were wearing your glasses," he said, looking up at me. I blushed and looked down.

"Can you just order me some more of my contacts?"

"Yea, of course. Now go answer the door because Josh and Tyler are here."

I walked to the front door and opened it. "Hey guys."

"Hey," they both responded at the same time.

"You guys are always in unison," I closed the door and followed them into the kitchen. "It's creepy."

"Sorry," they said, again, in unison.

"Stop that it's really scaring me." I sat down at the table as Pete put a plate of waffles on the table, looking at me.

"Your black eye is going away," he said, standing up straight.

"Thank god," I stood up. "I'm gonna go finish getting ready."

"What do you mean? You look fine."

"I have to straighten my hair and fix everything else." I started walking up the stairs and to the bathroom. I knocked on the door, because I was almost positive Patrick would be in there shaving or something.

"Who is it?"

"Ryan. I need to fix my hair."

"Come in."

I opened the door and walked in and Patrick was in fact shaving. I smiled a little and asked if he could move aside a little so I could get the flat iron. He moved and I got it from the cabinet and plugged it in.

"Good morning," Patrick said.

"Good morning," I replied.

"How has your morning been so far?"

"Fine, you?"

"Pretty good."

"You know we have an electric shaver, right?"

"Yeah, but Spencer broke it."

"Oh." By then the straightener had warmed up and I started straightening my hair.

"Is Brendon here yet?" Patrick asked.

"No, but Josh and Tyler are," I answered.

"When aren't they?"

I snickered.

"You look really good in those glasses."

"Wow, that's kind of out of nowhere."

"Uh, sorry, but it's true." He was finished shaving by now and looked at me through the reflection of the mirror. "You're really handsome. Way more handsome than you think you are."

I blushed and looked down. I was grinning slightly as I said, "Thanks." I looked over at him. "You're really handsome, too."

It was his turn to blush and look down now. "Aw, shucks." He looked up and me and smiled. "Thank you."

We were quiet for a while before I asked, "Hey, do you have a song stuck in your head?"

"Uh, I have this song that I've been working on for a while in my head," he said. "What about you?"

"I have 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams in my head."

And that's when the doorbell rang.

"I'll go get that," Patrick said, putting down the washcloth he was using to wipe his face.

"If it's Brendon could you tell him not to come up here?" I said, glancing at him through the mirror. He nodded and walked out of the room.

I turned back to the mirror and looked at my reflection. I looked ok that day. My hair did what I wanted it to and my face looked pretty good, although I did still have a bit of a black eye. The song in my head probably helped everything, too.

I opened the cabinets under the sink and put the hair straightener away and pulled out my basket of makeup. The only thing making me feel bad about myself was the black eye and I was going to fix that. I looked at the bruise and then at the supplies on the counter. Then I started. I don't really remember the in-between, but I remember the end product. Not my best, but pretty good if I said so myself (which I did).

I put all the stuff back in its place and looked at myself in the mirror. I smiled before strutting/dancing out of the bathroom to the beat of the song in my head.

My dancing in the hallway was interrupted when I accidentally strutted into Brendon.

"Oh. Hi," he smiled. I smiled back at him and kissed him.

"Whoa," he said after I pulled away. "What was that for?"

I was still smiling. "Nothing. I'm just happy."

"Well, if you're happy, I'm happy." Brendon held his arm out and we linked elbows before walking down the stairs together.

*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*

My school day was going pretty well, despite several people calling me 'nerd' in the hallways. It didn't dampen my mood at all. I just kept smiling and dancing down the hall to the lunchroom and met the guys at our usual table.

I greeted Brendon with a kiss and sat down. Lunch was pretty great and biology was good and Brendon and I had study hall drama club after that.

I walked into the room and, as usual, was greeted by lots of hugs from lots of people.

The club leader, Jack, told the everyone the assignment for that day. We were to be split up into teams of two and perform a short scene with a theme of our choice. Before I could get to Brendon, someone tapped on my shoulder.

I turned around to see a girl with long brown hair standing behind me. I knew her from when I was in drama club a few years back.

"Oh, hey Gabby," I smiled.

"Hiii Ryan," she smiled back. "I wanted to ask if you would like to go to the Sadie Hawkins Dance with me?"

"Oh, I completely forgot that the Sadie Hawkins dance was happening," I said. "And I would love to go, but you know I'm gay, right?"

"Of course. What boy in drama club isn't? I am, too, but Carrie and I can't go together so I wanted to ask if you would go with me to be like, my cover or whatever."

"Well Brendon and I can't go together either, so that sounds great." I paused before asking, "Who's Carrie?"

"Oh, uh, she's new to drama club and really cute and has really big blonde curly hair. You've probably seen her around." She turned around and pointed to a girl talking to Brendon. "That's her," she said, smiling.

"Oh, yeah, she does look familiar. The boy she's talking to is Brendon."

"Cool, uh, he's really handsome."

"Yeah." We looked back at each other and I said, "Um, Brendon and Carrie are probably going to end up doing a scene together, so do you wanna do one with me?"

"Yeah, sure." She smiled at me. She had an amazing smile. "Do you have any ideas?"

"Um..." I looked at her and thought of what we could do. "We could... Hmm..." I tilted her head up and then sideways and a few other ways before she swatted my hand away.

"What are you doing?" she asked, laughing.

"Has anyone ever told you that you look like an old movie star?" I asked, finally developing an idea.

"Uh, no, that's new. Thanks?"

"No, no, it's a good thing. You just have this, like, classic beauty. Like the way your hair is styled and the way you walk and the way your lips are shaped. You're just beautiful."

She blushed. "Aw, thank you. No one's ever said that to me before. Thank you."

"I've got an idea. Go tell Jack that we're going to be the last ones out and then meet me backstage." I ran backstage and started searching through boxes of makeup near the stations.

Gabby came back a minute later. "What's the plan?" she asked.

"Uhm, I am going to attempt only the greatest feat of drama club history," I said, digging through another box the best I could with my wrist in a cast. I was still getting used to it.

"And what is that?" she asked, sitting in the chair at my station.

I looked up at her. "I'm going to make us look like we're in black and white."

Her jaw dropped. "No way. How will you do that?"

I turned back to the box. "I will use" I held up a can "this spray-in hair dye, all this grey makeup" I gestured to all the cases of the grey powder and liquid "and we'll go and find black, white and grey colored costumes."

"Wow. That's why we're going to be the last ones."

I nodded. "Now let's go find our costumes."

Gabby nodded back at me and we went to find stuff. I was looking for something to cover up my cast and some kind of suit. I got lucky and found everything I needed and more. I found some fingerless gloves that were pretty large to cover up my cast and a suit that was absolutely perfect.

I went back to my station and waited for Gabby. I started spraying hair dye in my hair she came back not long after I had holding a dress.

"I found this at the bottom of the shoe closet," she said, holding up the dress.

"That is absolutely perfect," I said, walking over to her. "Now, let's get started on your makeup."

I set her up in the chair and started to work. We talked the whole time. We just caught up in general. I told her about Brendon, she told me about Carrie. They actually came over and talked to us a little before their scene. They were doing some kind of skit where they mirror each other and it sounded absolutely hilarious.

Jack gave us a warning about five minutes before we had to go on and that's when I realized I hadn't done my makeup yet and we hadn't discussed what we were going to do for the scene yet. Gabby was basically done except for her costume, so I sent her to go put it on while I quickly applied mine. I put my costume on in the middle of the makeup stations because I didn't have the time to go to the changing rooms and no one was around. The spray-in hair dye did really weird stuff to my hair so I ended up just kind of pushing it back and to the side slightly. I was finished by the time Gabby came back for me to zip up her dress.

"Are you ready to see?" I asked, because I hadn't let her see her makeup the whole time. That's what I did with everyone.

"Yes, finally," she said.

"Alright. Close your eyes." She did as I told her and I turned her around to the full-body mirror. "Ok, open."

She opened her eyes and her jaw dropped. "Oh my God," she said. "That's amazing." I smiled and looked at both of us in the mirror. "I mean, I can't look away. It's just... amazing."

"Thank you," I said. "But what's our scene going to be?"

"Um... Wow, um, I'm sorry, I can't think right now. This is just so... wow."

"Thank you, but we need to-" I was interrupted by Jack calling something through the curtain.

"You guys have about a minute left!" he said. "Wrap it up!"

I stepped away from Gabby and looked at her. "Gabby," I said. She was still staring at herself. "Gabby, we need an idea."

"Uh, yeah."

"Yeah, we do. Look at me." I turned her so that she was looking at me. "Think of something."

Her expression and mood shifted and she was thinking. "Uh, we could do, uh... Ooh! You kind of look like a hobo, no offense-"

"None taken."

"-so maybe we could do something involving you living on the streets and I'm some kind of business lady and we have a little conversation or something."

"Uh, sounds good, but, have you ever sang?"

"What are you getting at?"

"I was just thinking that maybe-"

"Guys, you're on in, like ten seconds," Jack called backstage. "Are you ready?"

I looked at Gabby, then said, "Iwasthinkingmaybewecouldsingasongorsomethingtotieintothescene."

"That sounds really good."

"So what song?"

"We'll get that in a minute."

"Then come on." I held my hand out and she took it as we walked over to side of the stage. Chris was finishing up his scene. The curtains closed and he walked off the other side of the stage.

We walked on and set a few things up and decided on a song before the curtains opened. I was positioned about center stage, sitting down at this table that was representing a bar. There were a few gasps and murmurs from the crowd. Like they weren't believing what they were seeing.

Gabby walked on stage in that swaying way she did, almost like she was dancing. That's when they knew it was real. Everyone in the room gasped and I couldn't help but smirk. Gabby stopped right next to me.

"Is this seat taken?" she asked in a perfect accent/impression of the people in black and white movies, gesturing to the stool next to me.

"No," I said quietly. I took a sip of my glass of water as she sat down on the stool next to me. She grabbed the glass of water sitting in front of her and took a sip.

I tapped four times under the table to 1. set the beat and 2. let her know to start singing at the same time as me.

"Another night, another drink

Another time to contemplate and think

Will I ever, ever have anyone to love

"It's not that I don't try

Maybe I try too hard

Seems like I'm living a lie

So there's a game I just won't learn

And I wonder will I always be alone

I take a sip and wonder

Why I haven't anyone to love?"

We each took sips of our drinks and I let my hand sit between us.

"I guess I'll say goodnight

My drink's done and it's morning light

Sorry my friend but you see

What other ending could there be

And I wonder will I always be alone?

I take a drink and wonder

Will I ever have anyone to love?"

She placed her hand on mine and we glanced at each other as the curtains closed. There was a huge round of applause and when the curtains opened back up, everyone was giving us a standing ovation.

Gabby and I stood up and held hands as we walked in front of the table. We took a bow as everyone continued applauding us. I glanced over at Gabby to see that she was already looking at me. She was crying a little bit, but she was smiling and I smiled back at her.

I turned back to the crowd as they were quieting down. I looked through them and found Brendon smiling at me. I waved at him and he waved back as he walked over. I let go of Gabby's hand to jump off the stage and Brendon and I could barely kiss before basically the whole club swarmed in and bombarded me with questions. I gave Brendon an apologetic look before the storm of flamboyance overtook everything.

He waved it off and walked off to talk to Josh and Tyler probably.

I answered questions about the makeup for the rest of the time for drama club, which wasn't long, thankfully, and for the time between classes. I got glances in the hallway from virtually everybody and when the bell rang, everyone went away and to their classes.

I had gym class as my last subject, but since I had broken my wrist, I had a note and didn't have to go, so I grabbed a notebook and pencil from my locker and headed outside. I had found this really cool tree behind the school that I sat in front of and wrote every day, but today I felt like climbing it.

I wedged my notebook in a branch along with my pencil and grabbed the branch with my un-casted hand. I used one of the tree's large roots as a step and hoisted myself up onto the branch. I picked up my notebook and pencil and began to write whatever came to mind.

When I write, I go to some other place. If I'm really into it, I lose myself and track of time. Then was one of those times. I would've stayed there all day if my phone hadn't rang.

I jumped when I heard the noise and I quickly pulled it out of my pocket. It was Brendon.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Hi, uh, where are you?" Brendon asked.

"Oh, uh," I looked around me and realized I had no idea how I was going to get down. "I'm stuck in a tree."

"What? Why are you in a tree?"

"Uh, 'cause I felt like it? And I also a cat, so, it was bound to happen sooner or later."

I heard him smile. "Do I need to call the fire department?"

"No, I just need a bit of your help. Uh, I'm in a tree behind the school."

He laughed. "How'd that happen?"

"Uh, I just really liked the tree so I climbed it?"

He laughed again. "I'll be right there. In fact, if you look to your right, you'll see a very small me get larger and larger as I get closer and closer."

I laughed. "Ok, thanks. Bye."

"Bye."

I watched tiny Brendon get bigger as he walked to the tree and I smiled at him when he arrived at the tree.

He sighed and smiled as he asked, "What am I going to do with you?"

I smiled wider and said, "Anything you want."

He laughed. "But seriously. How'd you get stuck in a tree?"

"I told you. I climbed up here because I like the tree and I didn't think it through. Catch." I tossed him my notebook and pencil.

"Ooh, can I read?" Brendon asked, opening it slightly.

"No!" I exclaimed. I never should have thrown it to him.

He sighed. "Fine. But only if you let me read it later."

"Alright," I sighed. "Now help me down from this tree."

"Ok." He carefully set down my notebook and pencil and looked at the tree. "How did you climb up?" I told him how I climbed up and he rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "How about you try coming down that way?"

"Ok," I said, shifting and looking down at the ground. It seemed so much farther away than before. I swallowed. "I can't do it."

"What do you mean you can't do it?"

"I mean I'm not coming down." I leaned back and crossed my arms. "I like it up here anyways."

"You are coming down. Do I need to go up there and get you?" I shook my head. "Do I need to call the fire department?" I shook my head again. "Then come down here."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Ryan, come on."

"No."

"I'll read your notebook."

"I don't care. That stuff's shit anyways."

"Come on!"

"No."

"Please."

"No."

He sighed. "Don't make me call Jon."

"You don't even have his number."

"No, but I have Patrick's and I can make him call Jon."

I looked down at him. "You wouldn't."

He pulled out his phone. "Oh, but I would."

"Brendon, no."

"Brendon yes." He pulled up his contacts tapped on Patrick's name.

"Brendon, stop!"

"Only if you come down." He dramatically moved his hand closer to his phone. "You have ten seconds."

"Brendon. No. Stop!"

"Ten... Nine..."

"Come on. We can talk this through!"

"Eight... Seven..." His hand inched closer and closer to his phone.

"Brendon, please."

"Six... Choose now, call Jon or just climb down. Five, four..."

"Please, no."

"Three..."

"Fine! Fine fine fine, I'll do it. You have to catch me if I fall, though."

"Always."

"Ok." I shifted so I was kind of kneeling on the branch and looked down at Brendon. I took a deep breath.

"Just focus on me," he said. "You're a cat. You land on your feet. You have nothing to worry about."

"Except breaking my legs," I said under my breath. I took another deep breath and slowly retraced my steps back down the tree. I slipped at the end and Brendon caught me, but I also landed on my feet, like he said I would.

"See? You're perfectly fine," he said, smiling at me.

I smiled back at him. "I guess not." I grabbed his hand and started running to the front of the school. "Now let's go!"

"But what about your journal?" Brendon asked.

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around to look at him. "You're right. Can you go get it and meet me up front?"

"Uh, yeah, sure."

"Thank you," I said before leaning over and kissing him. I ran towards the school and slowed down when I got to the side of the building to catch my breath. The school was bigger than I remembered.

When I finally made my way around, I walked into a conversation between Patrick and Spencer.

"Whatchu guys talkin' 'bout?" I asked.

"Nothing really," Patrick answered.

"Yeah, something really," Spencer said. "What do you have against-"

"Hey guys," Tyler said, walking up to us.

"Hey," the rest of us said, apart from Josh.

Then Brendon joined and held out my notebook to me, saying, "Here you go."

I took it from him and said, "Thanks."

That's when Joe and Andy pulled up in their stylish minivan. Andy stepped out and Joe followed not long after.

"Hello, Ryan," Andy said.

"Hi, Andy," I said, smiling.

"Someone's happy today," Joe said.

"Yeah, I've been really happy today," I said.

"Then those meds are working well," Joe said.

I nodded. "Yeah." I held my arm up. "Can't even feel it."

"Good," Andy said. "Could you gather the boys?"

"Yeah, sure." I walked over and interrupted Josh and Tyler's conversation with Brendon and told them that Joe and Andy were waiting for them.

They sighed and glanced at each other.

"What are you guys going to do?" I asked.

"Joe and Andy are letting us get tattoos," Tyler sighed.

"And why is that a bad thing?" Brendon asked.

"Because we won't be hanging out with you guys for the rest of the day," Josh said. "We'll be hanging out with them." He nodded his head and we all turned to see Joe and Andy playing Rock, Paper, Scissors.

"Sorry, guys," I said. "All parents are embarrassing."

"Tell us about it," they said in unison.

"You guys are really creepy when you talk together like that," Brendon said.

"Sorry," they said, then glanced at each other.

"Sorry," Josh said.

"So what tattoo shop are you guys going to?" I asked. "The one by the Laundromat?"

"Yeah, I think so," Tyler said.

"Good, those people are awesome, so it won't be too boring,"' I said. "Again, sorry."

"Good luck," Brendon said.

"Thanks," they said simultaneously. Tyler snapped his fingers and they walked over to the minivan and got in.

Brendon and I watched as they drove away. "You know the place by the Laundromat?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's only Pete's favorite tattoo shop," I said. "How do you know it?"

"Uh..." He glanced around before whispering, "I have a secret tattoo."

"Ooh, really?" I leaned over and whispered, "Can I see it?"

"Yeah, sure. Let's go to my house." He grabbed my un-casted hand and we told Spencer and Patrick we were leaving before we went.

We walked to Brendon's house and it occurred to me just how crazy it was that Brendon lived in the house that Daniel used to live in. Like all of my relationships would come from that house. Crazy.

Brendon opened the door and we walked in. Brendon's dad was sitting on the couch and watching TV. He glanced up at us looked at me like I was some kind of alien.

"Honey?" he called, stumbling back on the couch.

"Yes, dear?" Brendon's mom asked, walking in. She looked at us and had a look similar on her face. I then realized I still dressed in black and white.

"Oh, uh, sorry," I said. "It's makeup." I used the sleeve of the suit to wipe some of the makeup off my face. "See? I'm not an alien."

They sighed and glanced at each other.

"Sorry," Brendon's mom said. "We've just never seen anything like that." She took a step closer to me. "How did you do that?"

"Uh, I used grey spray-in hair dye, Grey makeup and the right kind of suit," I said. "I also did my friend like this in like, an hour. Less than an hour." I pulled out my phone. "I could show you some pictures."

"No, no, I'm fine," she said. "I can see all I need right here. But, it's just-your eyes."

"What about them?"

"It's just kind of weird. They're like, really bright and the rest of you... It's just amazing."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"Wow, I never noticed how pretty your eyes are," Brendon said.

"Well, the grey kind of, um, accentuates it," I said.

"Right, uh, do you wanna go upstairs?" he asked.

"Yeah, sure."

Brendon led me upstairs and to his room. It was the room that used to be Daniel's. Sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

howdy. another chapter on time this week :D

 the video is the song that had been stuck in Ryan's head all day

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

487 42 8
『" but in exchange for my magic, you have to kill prince urie. understood? "』 | in which ryan ross gets to go to the ball, as long as he kills prince...
295K 14.2K 25
Four years, many exes, a couple of albums, a band split and a band hiatus... a lot has happened since Ryan Ross walked away from Panic! At The Disco...
16.5K 200 9
Ryan Ross imagines from Tumblr
4K 212 22
A Ryden AU fan fiction, set in the 90's. Featuring past and current line up of P!ATD, plus members of other bands. Ryan/Brendon 1st POV. Trigger war...