Ellasyna [Ceaelie #1] | compl...

By bibliopole-

Valia Talin isn't human. She's a Ceaelie, a being who can control the elements, along with other abilities. I... More

Copyright
i | The Ancestral Ceremony
ii | Regrets
iv | The Boys in the Woods
v | 1922
vi | The Commander
vii | Beast of Shadows
viii | Dancing With Fire
ix | The Journal
x | Bloodshed
xi | An Abundance of Secrets
xii | Blood and Nightmares
xiii | Spirit Induced
xiv | They Will Arise
xv | Shattering Boundaries
xvi | Gunpoint
xvii | A Darker Power
xviii | Close Encounter
xix | Burning Blades
xx | A Beautiful Death
xxi | Blood Stained Snow
xxii | A Healing Touch
xxiii | Promise of Destruction
xxiv | Betrayals
xxv | Tempting Fate
Authors Note
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

iii | Dark Imaginings

450 30 12
By bibliopole-

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Three

       Stepping through the barrier that protected my world was a lot like stepping through my own skin, or through water. It felt as if my soul was being separated from my body and I longed for it to come back to me. It almost felt impossible to do so, to feel myself get pulled away from the life I had always known inside the wards and suddenly get pushed into this unknown world where danger lurked behind faces of those who looked like my own people.

       My ears popped when I felt my body break through the barrier and my knees buckled underneath me. I let myself fall to the ground, not bothering to hold myself up. The first thing I felt beneath my fingers was the soft soil, squishing it between my fingers. I inhaled the earthy scent of it, opening up to my senses, letting them overflow.

       I could feel the energy of the forest open up and surround me; the whisper of the wind calling for me, the rushing of a nearby creek and the rustling of the leaves in the tree tops above. Distantly I could hear the chirps of early morning birds, could feel the heat of the rising sun as it began its ascent into the sky, warming away the chill the spring morning sent out.

       When I was finally able to gain my bearings, I stood, grasping the straps of my newly acclaimed bag. The feeling of the material was foreign to me still, but exciting, and I thought, I’m free. But it wouldn’t – shouldn’t – last long. The mission placed upon me was to find the weapon and bring it back to safety. I was kept in the dark about the possible danger I would be in. I wasn’t like Kali, I could be reckless and crude and I could ruin this whole thing within only seconds.

       On the other hand, you could always run, a dark voice in my head whispered, which I chose to ignore as I scanned the forestry around me, taking in every last detail of my surroundings. I pulled out the map the Commander had given me, knowing where I was exactly. The spot in which I would exit the boundaries was marked clearly, and from then on a trail in which I should take had been highlighted, the path clear from then on.

       So according to the map I had to make my way downstream until I reached the edge of the forest and then make my way into town. I should’ve then been able to locate the Ridgeway Inn. I folded the map back up, shoving it into the bag and took a deep breath before setting off, following the sound of the rushing stream. From there, I was able to find the hiking track that supposedly went back into town.

       Sighing, I hitched the heavy bag higher up on my shoulder and proceeded to cross the creek with care, stepping lightly on the moss covered rocks and trying my balance before moving on. The hiking boots Commander Jeremias had provided me with gripped the uneven surfaces well, while the shorts that rose up and the shirt that was uncomfortably tight seemed to make this walk almost unbearable.

       Come on Val, you’re almost there. Buy some clothes in town then get down to work. I nodded to myself, stumbling unconsciously on a risen tree root, my hand shooting out to, this time, hold me up.

       Intricate markings were etched into the bark of the old tree, my fingers splayed across them. “What…?” I knelt down to examine them, then shot to my feet when I realised they were a Ceaelie warning. I felt my heartbeat grow steady, and for a moment I stood there, gazing at the old language, frowning.

       Then I turned, and continued down the trail.

       The town of Blowing Rock, North Carolina was small yet had many people milling around this early in the morning. Most seemed to be complimenting the town’s name, Blowing Rock, and talking about how they would visit the blowing rock. The humans here were humming with energy and life and danger.

       I kept my face neutral while walking down the street, keeping my eyes peeled for a shop of some sort that sold girl clothing. My dark eyes scanned each building I passed, taking in the worn paint of some and the newer paint of others. Some of the buildings were bright colours, like oranges and white, but most were darker shades of blue.

       I’d gotten to the end of the street when I saw a store named ‘Sunset Boutique’ and I squinted at the old sign that hung above the door for a moment before heading over to walk in. A few female human’s passed me on the curb as I pushed the glass door open and I heard a chiming sound, startling me slightly.

       As soon as I’d regained my composure I studied the interior of the building, noticing the many racks of clothing in the centre of the room and shelves along the walls with hats and other accessories spaced out evenly with signs saying what each section was. My eyes flickered around the large space, taking in the dark brown pine wood walls and the navy blue carpet.

       The next thing I knew a human girl was walking towards me from the other side of the store and I froze as she approached, smiling merrily, which made my gut turn in anticipation. “Hello there, welcome to Sunset, how can I help you?” The girl’s voice was cheerful, the opposite to her expression. She looked tired and bothered with dark circles under her eyes, and no matter how hard she tried to hide behind her long blonde curls I could tell nevertheless.

       I swallowed the bitter taste in my mouth and smiled back at her, quite sure the upturn of my lips looked forced. She eyed me for a moment, coming to a stop in front of me. She stood a couple inches taller than me, probably supported by the high-heeled shoes she wore, and had milky skin that looked as if it had never seen the sun. The bags below her eyes seemed to become an offset to her light brown eyes, making them look darker.

       “I have a clothing crisis,” I said, testing the words on my tongue, unsure what else to say to the young human girl. Her eyebrows rose and she gave a little laugh.

       “Well, it’s a good thing this is a clothing shop,” she said, turning to walk towards a rack with different materials hanging on it. I followed, then realised the material were different types of shirts. “So, we’ve got plain cotton shirts here, and I’m thinking the black, white or dark blue will match your skin tone.”

       I nodded, not really understanding much of what was happening as the tall woman started to pull the coloured shirts she’d listed off the rack, handing them to me as she moved on to the next rack. She pulled a few pairs of long pants and the same shorter ones I wore now and handed them to me as well. Somehow I knew I was going to be here awhile.

       In the end I bought three pairs of pants, two pairs of shorts, five t-shirts, one jacket, a pair of pyjamas and another pair of shoes. The human girl turned out to be quite good company, and I knew it was a horrid thought and that I should be shunned for even thinking it, but it was true. She got less and less grumpy the more time she spent with me and I didn’t know why. But by the end of the hours spent browsing and trying things on I had to pay for it all. And it wasn’t cheap.

       I smiled at the girl as forcefully as I could when I was about to leave but before I could she asked. “Where are you staying, if I may ask?”

       “Ridgeway Inn,” I replied without thinking. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. What if this girl was dangerous? I could’ve been playing into a trap. Damn you’re stupid, Val, I scolded myself.

       “Oh, really?” she asked, her eyes lighting up. “Perhaps we really will see each other again! My Grandmother owns the place, you see.”

       “Oh,” I said, not knowing what else to say. “Could you give me directions?”

       “Of course,” she smiled and walked with me to the door. “Just walk down the road, turn left at the end of the street and start to head towards the Nature Park, take a right, head on down the bush trail and at the end there it is.”

       “Okay, thank you.” And then I shot one more smile at her before leaving, shuddering in the cool spring air as it splayed my long hair over my shoulders and heading in the direction the girl had directed me.

       As I turned the first corner, I instantly knew someone was watching me. It was more of a feeling, intuition if anything, but I could feel the gaze of someone lingering on my body. Even as I let my eyes search the surrounding area - the small building that read Rocky Cafe to the grocery store next to it - but I could not find the source.

       Heaving a long sigh, feeling tired, I continued walking in the direction the woman had pointed me in, stopping once more to look around again.

       “You shouldn’t be here, young Karanayli.” A tall, dark haired man walked out from behind a store, his scanning me before he spoke again, his words harsh and surprising. “They’re watching. They will always be watching.”

       I slowly began to back-track, opening my mouth to reply, confusion - hopefully - written across my face. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Sir.” As quickly as I could, I walked across the street, continuing on my way, even with him watching me the whole time.

       The Inn wasn’t too difficult to locate. It was nestled in the trees, the pathway gravel with weeds growing in between. The porch railings had vines and flowers growing around them, while the small pond positioned in front of it was moss ridden.

       I ducked under a low hanging tree branch and walked up the rickety stairs, still shaken from what that man said. They’re watching. They will always be watching. What had he meant? That the Major was watching? Or was someone else? The confusion had been real. I honestly had no clue as to what he was implying. And that was what made me more afraid.

       The inside was bright, bright enough for me to squint and let my eyes adjust for a moment, and when they finally did adjust I could see the interior of the building more clearly. The floor was wooden, as were the walls. It was a rather homey space, but I could also sense how old the building was. It was a miracle it wasn’t falling down around me.

       My eyes lingered on the artificial plants and I felt disgusted. Why would you want fake plants when the real things were so beautiful and full of life? I would never understand the humans, I knew that for sure.

       I slowly made my way towards a large wooden desk and looked around, seeing no one in sight. On the desk was a screen of some sort - and from my studies I knew it was a computer - and more artificial plants, making my stomach clench in disgust. A small golden object lay atop the desk and when I touched it a chime rang out around the echo-ey room, making me gasp in fright just as an old woman came rushing into the room with a fake smile plastered across her face.

       “Hello there, dear,” she smiled. “What can I do for you?”

       The woman was short with light grey hair that fell to her shoulders. Her big doe eyes were a dull brown as they took me in and she narrowed her eyes suddenly. “Do I know you from somewhere?” she asked, tilting her head, and I smiled as convincingly as I could.

       “No, I’ve never been here before,” I said. “I was hoping to get a room for a while.”

       “Of course,” she said, typing something into her computer, and I longed to find out what she’d written, but I knew I couldn’t be caught; not this early into the mission. “Room 12B is free. Here’s the key. I hope you have a pleasant stay in Blowing Rock.”

       “Thank you, Ma’am,” I smiled and reached out tentatively to receive the key, the metal warm. I nodded, then turned and walked towards the sign that read ‘B’ and walked down the hall, coming up short. Stairs sat awkwardly at the end of the hall, almost as if they were hastily attached to the building. The room I was given wasn’t on this floor, and yet I couldn’t make myself go up there.

       Sighing, rubbed tiredly at my eyes. I need to sleep the transition off. Once again I walked upwards, feeling as if this were the exact path my sister took before she died. Did she stay at this inn? In one of these rooms? Did she think the same thing as I did?

       The stairs felt a lot sturdier than the ones outside. I took them two at a time, my hand clutching the railings. Just at that moment, a young man stepped out from around the corner, going in the opposite direction to me. His head was bowed, hand clutching the other railing. When we passed, his head lifted ever so slightly, his blue eyes meeting mine for just a moment, and in that moment something lightened them. Recognition.

       This man knew Kali. That was my first thought, and when he finally made it to the bottom step, he stopped only to look up at me once more.

       I shuddered and made it to the second floor’s landing, leaning against the banister. Up ahead I could make out room 12B, but I just couldn’t make my legs move. My muscles felt strained and wound tight, the simple, almost non-existent interaction with the blond-headed boy making my head feel light.

       “I just need to sleep.” Finally I was able to make my feet move and slowly I was placing the key in the lock, turning the door knob, and letting myself stumble into the room, only to throw my bags on the floor, thinking, I’ll clean that later, and fell into the softness of the bed.

      The fuzziness of the dream took over and I was pulled under, the world morphing around me until I landed with a thump on the ground. Green grass surrounded me and I smiled at how much it reminded me of home as I got to my feet. Small white flowers specked the grass around me and I felt myself relaxing as I started walking, enjoying the tickling feeling of the strands of grass as I moved.

       As I continued walking I saw a boy standing near a lark oak tree and I stopped, feeling a small smile spreading across my face at the sight. He had dark hair and he was pretty tall as he leaned against the tree, obviously oblivious to me standing behind him. But he suddenly turned and I gasped.

       His face was covered by darkness and shadows so I couldn’t see his features. But I knew I’d seen it elsewhere. I knew his face without even having to see it. I’d seen it so many times, and I couldn’t remember if it was real or just a part of my dreams, but I still knew it nonetheless.

       A smile lit up his shadowed face and I felt myself smiling back easily. And when he started walking closer I started walking backwards, my heart racing in my chest as I smiled more, and he narrowed his eyes playfully. Before I knew what was happening I’d turned and started to run, my long dark hair flying around my shoulders in the light breeze.

       I could hear him chasing after me and I laughed as I rounded a tree, racing towards a small creek, but I never made it in time. A pair of hands caught me around the waist and I gasped in shock, grinning as a warm breath fanned across my neck and a small butterfly kiss was placed there. His arms were tight and secure around my waist, holding me to him so I could get away again.

       “Gotcha, Princess,” he whispered, his voice deep yet muffled. I could hear the smile in his voice and it made my smile increase as my hands caught his and I unwrapped his arms from my waist, holding them in my own as I closed my eyes and willed my magic to surface.

       I could feel the breeze blowing my hair and clothes, hear the rushing of the river, feel the squishy soil beneath my toes. Taking a deep breath, I willed the water in the river to surface and just as the water was flying at us I ducked so it got the boy behind me instead, and he gasped at the cold wetness that hit him.

       He chuckled at me and narrowed his eyes at me before lunging and pulling me against him again, making me laugh as his wet shirt squashed against my dry one, making it wet too. His head descended on my shoulder and his hot breath tickled my bare skin as he spoke. “I love you.”

       And then the world faded into blackness and I awoke, gasping.

____________________________________________

Yes. Finally, we know! Another chapter!

We haven't written in so long! God, it feels like an eternity. Sorry about the long wait, but we hope this chapter makes up for it XD

Remember to vote, comment, and all the rest! 

On the side is the banner made by me (Dee). It took forever. XD 

We both (Steph and I) hope you liked this chapter and would love it if you'd comment to let us know what you thought :)

Thanks, bye! :)

- Dee and Steph xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57 0 19
For thousands of years The Order has been protecting creation from Evil, the paranormal, and sometimes themselves without the world knowing. Each mem...
Rekindling By wee_me

Teen Fiction

70.9K 3.5K 19
+++THIS IS A SEQUEL - To be able to follow the storyline, please read „Unravelling" and „Dissolving" first!+++ Lily and her brothers are stuggling to...
31.2K 2.4K 36
Decades ago there were Hunters, people who inherited an ancient power gifted by the gods and who protected the world from the nightmarish creatures k...
Dissolving By wee_me

Teen Fiction

234K 10K 46
****THIS IS A SEQUEL. To be able to follow this story, please read "Unravelling" first**** Lily has started into the new year with a mixture of confu...