A Long Strange Journey

By Weezie_24

This is the story of a young English girl named Hannah, a survivor of the London Blitz, and her adventures in... More

Bombs Away
First Impressions
A Somewhat Expected Party
Terms and Conditions
Roast Mutton
The Run to Rivendell
A Short Rest and Over Hill
Out of the Frying-Pan and into the Fire
Queer Lodgings
The Passage into Mirkwood
Over the River and Through the Woods
Flies and Spiders
The Elvenking of Mirkwood
Barrels Out of Bond
A Warm Welcome
On the Doorstep
Inside Information
Not At Home
Fire and Water
The Gathering of Clouds
The Building Storm
The Clouds Burst
The Return Journey
The Last Stage
Return to Mirkwood
A Warm Welcome
Becoming More Familiar

Under Hill and Riddles in the Dark

543 16 0
By Weezie_24

Where  were Gandalf and Hannah? Of that neither the Dwarves and Bilbo nor the  Goblins had any idea, and the Goblins did not wait to find out. It was  deep, deep, dark, such as only Goblins that have taken to living in the  heart of the mountains can see through. The passages there were crossed  and tangled in all directions, but the Goblins knew their way, as well  as you do to the nearest post-office; and the way went down and down,  and it was horribly stuffy. The goblins were very rough, and pinched  unmercifully, and chuckled and laughed in their horrible stony voices;  and Bilbo was more unhappy even than when the troll had picked him up by  his toes. He wished again and again for his nice hobbit-hole. Not for  the last time.

Now there came a glimmer red of light before them. The  Goblins began to sing, or croak, keeping time with the flap of their  feet on the stone, and shaking their prisoners as well.

Clap! Snap! the black crack!
Grib, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down, down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad!

Clash, crash! Crush, smash!
Hammer and tongs! Knocker and gongs!
Pound, pound, down underground!
Ho, ho! my lad!

Swish, smack! Whip crack!
Batter and beat! Yammer and bleat!
Work, work! Nor dare to shirk,
While Goblins quaff, and Goblins laugh,
Round and round far underground
Below, my lad!

It sounded truly terrifying. The walls echoed to the clap, snap! And the crush, smash! And to the ugly laughter of their ho, ho! my lad! The general meaning of the song was only too plain; for now the Goblins took out whips and whipped them with a swish, smack!,  and set them running as fast as they could in front of them; and more  than one of the Dwarves were already yammering and bleating like  anything, when they stumbled into a big cavern.

It was lit by a great  red fire in the middle, and by torches along the walls, and it was full  of Goblins. They all laughed and stamped and clapped their hands, when  the Dwarves (with poor little Bilbo at the back and nearest to the  whips) came running in, while the goblin-drivers whooped and cracked  their whips behind. The ponies were already huddled in a corner; and  there were all the baggages and packages lying broken open, and being  rummaged by goblins, and smelt by goblins, and fingered by goblins, and  quarreled over by goblins.

I am afraid that was the last they ever  saw of those excellent little ponies, including the jolly sturdy little  fellow that Elrond had leant to Gandalf, since a horse was not suitable  for the mountain-paths. For Goblins eat horses and ponies and donkeys  (and other much more dreadful things), and they are always hungry. Just  now however the prisoners were thinking only of themselves. The Goblins  chained their hands behind their backs and linked them all together in a  line and dragged them to the far end of the cavern with Bilbo tugging  at the end of the row.

There in the shadows on a large flat stone,  surrounded by piled up skulls and trophies form enemies to make a  throne, sat a tremendous Goblin with a huge head and an equally large goiter, and armed Goblins were  standing round him carrying the axes and bent swords that they use. Now  Goblins are cruel, wicked, and bad-hearted. They make no beautiful  things, but they make clever ones. They can tunnel and mine as well as  any but the most skilled Dwarves, when they take the trouble, though  they are usually very untidy and dirty. Hammers, axes, swords, daggers,  pickaxes, tongs, and also instruments of torture, they make very well,  or get other people to make to their design, prisoners and slaves have  to work till they die for want of air and light. They did not hate  Dwarves especially, no more than they hated everybody and everything,  and particularly the orderly and prosperous; in some parts wicked  Dwarves had even made alliances with them. Anyway, Goblins don't care  who they catch, as long as it is done smart and secret, and the  prisoners are not able to defend themselves.

"Who are these miserable persons?" said the Great Goblin. "Spies? Thieves? Assassins?"

"Dwarves,  and this, your Malevolence!" said one of the drivers, pulling at  Bilbo's chain so that he fell forward onto his knees. "We found them  sheltering on our Front Porch."

"What do you mean by it?" said the  Great Goblin turning to Thorin. "Up to no good, I'll warrant! Well,  don't just stand there! Search them! Every crack! Every crevice!" On  Nori they found several artifacts of silver and gold.

"It is my  belief, your Great Protuberance, that they are in league with Elves!"  said one of the searchers, presenting his king with a silver  candlestick.

"Made in Rivendell," read the Great Goblin upon  inspecting its base. "Ah, Second Age. Couldn't give it away," he said,  tossing it away carelessly. Upon hearing this, Bilbo and all the Dwarves  stared at Nori in disbelief. They had quite obviously been nicked.

"Just a couple of keepsakes," Nori said defensively.

"What  are you doing in these parts?" the Great Goblin demanded. Thorin moved  to answer, but Óin placed a hand on his shoulder to stop him. Seeing as  Thorin was being hunted by the orcs, it might not be a good idea for him  to draw attention to himself in this den of iniquity.

"Uh, don't worry, lads. I'll handle this," said Óin as he stepped forth.

"No tricks! I want the truth," said the Great Goblin. "Warts and all."

"You're going to have to speak up. Your boys flattened my trumpet," said Óin, holding up his squashed hearing horn as evidence.

"I'll flatten more than your trumpet!" the Great Goblin snapped, angered by the dwarf's impertinence.

"If  it's more information you want, then I'm the one you should speak to,"  Bofur said quickly, redirecting his attention before he hurt the older  dwarf.

"Mm-hm?" said the Great Goblin, wanting to hear more.

"We  were on the road. Well, it's not so much a road as a path. Actually,  it's not even that, come to think of it. It's more like a track," said  Bofur, not quite knowing what to say all at once in a moment, when  obviously the exact truth would not do at all. "Anyway, the point is we  were on this road, like a path, like a track. And then we weren't. Which  is a problem, because we were supposed to be..."

"Shut up," the Great Goblin muttered, quickly tiring of his seemingly aimless rambling.

"... in Dunland last Tuesday," Bofur finished lamely.

"Visiting distant relations," Dori chimed in helpfully.

"Some inbreds on me mother's side," Bofur added.

"Shut  up!" the Great Goblin shouted impatiently, deciding he had heard quite  enough of their ridiculous excuses already. Bofur wisely shut his mouth  this time.

"They are liars, O truly tremendous one!" said one of  the drivers. "Several of our people were struck by lightning in the  cave, when we invited these creatures to come below; and they are as  dead as stones!"

"If they will not talk, we'll make them squawk!  Bring up the Mangler! Bring up the Bone-breaker," ordered the Great  Goblin. "Start with the youngest."

"Wait!" shouted Thorin.

"Well,  well, well!" said the Great Goblin as the noble Dwarf stepped forward  to face him. "Look who it is. Thorin son of Thráin, son of Thrór, King  Under the Mountain. Oh, but I'm forgetting—you don't have a mountain,  and you're not a king, which makes you nobody, really." Several goblins  snickered mockingly. "Still, I know someone who would pay a pretty price  for your head. Just a head; nothing attached," continued the Great  Goblin with a wheezing cackle. "Perhaps you know of whom I speak. An old  enemy of yours. A pale orc, astride a white warg."

"Azog the  Defiler was destroyed," said Thorin sternly, not wanting to believe what  he had just heard. "He was slain battle long ago." That villain should  have died of the wounds he gave the orc for killing his  grandfather.

"So you think his defiling days are done, do you?"  sneered the Great Goblin with another cackle. "Send word to the pale  orc," he ordered one of his messengers. "Tell him I have found his  prize."

The little goblin coughed and cackled as he flew away on a  wire to deliver his king's message, whizzing past the entrance to an  old, disused tunnel just in time to miss Gandalf and Hannah as they  silently crept out through the opening in the rock, keeping low and to  the shadows, while the remaining goblins' attention was still focused on  the dwarves.

There came suddenly from the goblin still inspecting  the dwarves' belongings a terrible shriek as he dropped the sword Thorin  had been carrying with a clatter, acting as though he had been burned.

The  Great Goblin gave a truly awful howl of rage when he looked at it, and  all his soldiers gnashed their teeth, clashed their shields, and  stamped. They knew the sword at once. It had killed hundreds of goblins  in its time, when the fair elves of Gondolin hunted them the hills or  did battle before their walls. They had called it Orcrist,  Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply Biter. They hated it  and hated worse anyone who carried it.

"Murderers and  elf-friends!" the Great Goblin shouted. "Slash them! Beat them! Bite  them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes and never let them see  the light again!" He was in such a rage that he jumped off his seat and  himself rushed at Thorin with his mouth open. Gandalf and Hannah took  that as their cue to act.

Gandalf raised his staff, and just at that  moment all the lights in the cavern went out as Hannah chucked one of  her larger homemade smoke bombs into the great fire. It went off poof! into a tower of blue glowing smoke, right up to the roof, that scattered piercing white sparks all among the goblins.

The  yells and yammering, croaking, jabbering and jabbering; howls, growls,  and curses; shrieking and skriking that followed were beyond  description. Several hundred wild cats and wolves being roasted slowly  alive together would not have compared with it. The sparks were burning  holes in the goblins, and the smoke that now fell from the roof made the  air too thick for even their eyes to see through. Soon they were  falling over one another and rolling in heaps on the floor, biting and  kicking and fighting as if they had all gone mad.

Suddenly a sword  flashed in its own light. Bilbo saw it go right through the Great Goblin  as he stood dumbfounded in the middle of the rage. He fell dead, and  the goblin soldiers fled before the sword shrieking into the darkness.

The  sword went back into its sheath. "Follow me, quick!" said a voice  fierce and quiet; and before Bilbo understood what had happened he was  trotting along again, as fast as he could trot, at the end of the line,  down more dark passages with the yells of the goblins growing fainter  behind him. A pale light was leading them on.

"Quicker, quicker!" said another softer, but no less urgent, voice. "The torches will soon be relit."

"Half  a minute!" said Bofur, who was at the back next to Bilbo, and a decent  fellow. He made the hobbit scramble onto his shoulders as best he could  with his tied hands, and then off they all went at a run, with a clink  of chains, and many a stumble, since they had no hands to steady  themselves with. Not for a long while did they stop, and by that time  they must have been right down in the very mountain's heart.

Then  Gandalf lit up his wand. Of course it was Gandalf, and the second voice  had clearly belonged to Hannah, whom they could now see was right beside  him; but just then they were too busy to ask how the two of them had  got there. The wizard took out his sword again, and again it flashed in  the dark by itself. It burned with a rage that made it seem as if  goblins were about; now it was bright as blue flame for delight in the  killing of the great lord of the cave. It made no trouble whatever of  cutting through the goblin-chains and setting all the prisoners free as  quickly as possible. This sword's name was Glamdring the Foe-hammer, if  you remember. The goblins just called it Beater, and hated it worse than  Biter if possible. Orcrist, too, had been saved; for Gandalf had  brought it along as well, snatching it from one of the terrified guards.  Gandalf thought of most things; and though he could not do everything,  he could do a great deal for friends in a tight corner.

"Are we  all here?" said he, handing Thorin's sword back to him with a bow. "Let  me see: one—that's Thorin; two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight,  nine, ten, eleven; where are Fili and Kili? Here they are, twelve,  thirteen—and here's Mr. Baggins: fourteen! Well, well! It might be  worse, and then again it might be a good deal better. No ponies, and no  food, and no knowing quite where we are, and hordes of angry goblins  just behind! On we go!"

On they went. Gandalf was quite right:  they began to hear goblin noises and horrible cries far behind in the  passages they had come through. That sent them on faster than ever, and  as poor Bilbo could not possibly go half as fast—for dwarves can roll  along at a tremendous pace, I can tell you, when they have to—they took  it in turn to carry him on their backs.

Still goblins go faster than  dwarves, and these goblins knew the way better (they had made the paths  themselves), and were madly angry; so that do what they could the  dwarves heard the cries and howls getting closer and closer. Soon they  could hear even the flap of the goblin feet, many many feet which seemed  only just round the last corner. The blink of red torches could be seen  behind them in the tunnel they were following; and they were getting  deadly tired.

"Why, oh why did I ever leave my hobbit-hole!" said poor Bilbo bumping up and down on Bombur's back.

"Why,  oh why did I ever bring a wretched little hobbit on a treasure hunt!"  said poor Bombur, who was fat and staggered along with sweat dripping  down his nose in his heat and terror.

At this point, Gandalf fell  behind, and Hannah and Thorin with him. They turned a sharp corner.  "About turn!" he shouted. "Draw your sword, Thorin! Loose your arrows,  Hannah!"

There was nothing else to be done; and the goblins did not  like it. They came scurrying round the corner in full cry, and found  Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer shining cold and bright right in their  astonished eyes as one arrow after another flew at them. The ones in  front dropped their torches and gave one yell before they were killed.  The ones behind yelled still more, and leaped back, knocking over those  that were running after them. "Biter and Beater!" they shrieked; and  soon they were all in confusion, and most of them were hustling back the  way they had come.

It was quite a long while before any of then  dared to turn that corner. By that time the dwarves had gone on again, a  long, long, way on into the dark tunnels of the goblins' realm. When  the goblins discovered that, they put out their torches and they slipped  on soft shoes, and they chose out their very quickest runners with the  sharpest eyes and ears. These ran forward, as swift as weasels in the  dark, and with hardly any more noise than bats.

That is why neither  Bilbo, nor the Dwarves, nor Hannah, nor even Gandalf heard them coming.  Nor did they seem them. But they were seen by the goblins that ran up  silently behind, for Gandalf was letting his wand give out a faint light  to help the dwarves as they went along.

Quite suddenly Dori, now at  the back carrying Bilbo, was grabbed from behind in the dark. He shouted  and fell; and the hobbit rolled off his shoulders into the blackness,  bumped his head on a hard rock, and lost consciousness as he disappeared  into the dark. Meanwhile, Dori, unsure of the hobbit's fate but faced  with certain danger in the form of the goblin currently attacking him.  Hearing Dori cry out, the others immediately turned and doubled back to  save him. Hannah quickly shot Dori's attacker before he could stab him,  and Gandalf and Thorin slew the next wave of goblins. Everyone did their  best to fight off the sudden onslaught as the rest of the goblins  caught up to the scouts they had sent ahead, but what really saved them  was actually the moment when Hannah found that she had run out of arrows  and resorted to using a homemade flash grenade, hoping a sudden flash  of light might scare the goblins off with the way they had reacted to  the sparks from her smoke bomb.

"Fire in the hole!" she yelled as  she pulled its pin and threw it amongst the horde of goblins scrambling  towards them. The dwarves, not knowing what sort of weapon she might  have thrown did their best to get out of the way and duck for cover as  the grenade went off with a bang, lighting up the whole tunnel with a  blinding flash of white light that made the goblins screech and howl and  curse fiercely as they made another hasty retreat.

"Follow me,  everybody!" Gandalf shouted, rousing the stunned dwarves. Once again,  the company ran along the dark path with all the speed they could  muster. They had no doubt the goblins would be back once they had  recovered.

They were doing well until they reached a rickety wooden  bridge that had been made to form a crossing over a deep ravine. In  their rush to get away, they had not bothered to stop and test how much  of a load it could bear, and once Bombur stepped aboard, the company's  combined weight sent the weakened section of the span they were on  crashing down. The Dwarves and Hannah all gave cries and shouts of fear  and alarm as they hurtled towards the ground below, clinging to the  wooden planks as the ends of the bridge battered and scraped against the  walls of the narrowing ravine. It was a rough landing, and there was  very little bridge left by the end, but fortunately for them, it had  slowed their descent enough so that they were able to survive without  sustaining wounds any more serious than some nasty bumps and bruises.

"Well,  that could have been worse," Bofur said as they all groaned. Gandalf  winced as he quickly righted himself, already preparing to move on.

"Hey,  watch your hands!" Hannah scolded Kili when she realized he was  touching some rather inappropriate places as a result of their awkward  landing, though it had happened quite by accident. Fili seemed amused at  the trouble his brother had found himself in, but Kili was not and  hastily apologized as she pushed away from him and rolled off what was  left of the bridge. And none too soon, for almost as soon as Hannah  moved, the rest of the bridge came crashing down on top of the dwarves,  who all gave a shout and moaned in pain.

"You've got to be  joking!" said Dwalin moodily while the others groaned and cursed as they  hit and kicked away the rotted wooden planks.

"Gandalf!" Kili  shouted when he saw movement in the dark and realized the goblins had  returned, and were now crawling down the sides of the ravine after them.  Their numbers appeared to have somehow tripled since their last attack.

"There's too many. We can't fight them," said Dwalin.

"Only  on thing will save us: daylight!" said Gandalf, leading them on through  the tunnel that they had landed next to on the lower level. "Quickly,  quickly!" the wizard urged them. As they ran, they caught a glimpse of  light filtering round a corner. Not red light, as of a fire or lantern,  but a pale out-of-doors sort of light. They took heart at this  encouraging sight and pushed themselves on with greater speed. They  could now see the light was streaming through the cracks around a great  stone door. Thorin and Gandalf made quick work of its goblin-guards  while Hannah and the rest of the dwarves forced the stone door open as  they charged forward, and together the company burst out into the  dazzling daylight. There were a few steps running down into a narrow  valley between tall mountains. Down these steps Gandalf led the dwarves,  and they went on and on, till the sun began to sink westwards, behind  the mountains. Looking forward, Hannah could see before her only ridges  and slopes falling towards lowlands and plains glimpsed occasionally  between the trees. They appeared to have gotten to the other side of the  Misty Mountains, right to the edge of the Land Beyond. But they could  not stop so near the goblins' territory and ventured on further, out of  the little high valley, over its edge, and down the slopes beyond. They  came upon a stony path winding downwards with a rocky wall on the left  hand; on the other side the ground sloped away and there were dells  below the level of the path overhung with bushes and low threes.

It  was in one of these dells under the bushes where they finally halted to  rest for a moment, and Gandalf took another headcount. He counted only  thirteen aside from himself and Hannah.

"Where is Bilbo?" asked the wizard, looking round.

"He's not here?" Hannah asked, alarmed when she realized he was missing.

"Where is our hobbit? Where is our hobbit!?" asked Gandalf sternly as they all looked around, worried for his little friend.

Unbeknownst  to them, the hobbit in question had also made it out, and had wandered  down into the dells, where he heard them talking. Bilbo crept closer,  and suddenly he saw peering between two boulders a head and face of  snowy white hair; it was Balin doing look-out. He could have clapped and  shouted for joy, but he did not. He had still got on the magic ring he  found in Gollum's cave, for fear of meeting something unexpected and  unpleasant, and he saw that Balin was looking straight at him without  noticing him.

I will give them all a surprise, he thought, as he  crawled into the bushes at the edge of the dell. Gandalf was arguing  with the dwarves. They were discussing all that had happened in the  tunnels, trying to figure out where they had last seen their burglar,  and wondering what to do now. The dwarves were grumbling, and Gandalf  was saying that they could not possibly go on with their journey leaving  Bilbo behind in the hands of the goblins, without trying to find out if  he was dead or alive, and without trying to rescue him.

"After  all, he is my friend," said the wizard, "and not a bad little chap. I  feel responsible for him. I wish to goodness you had not lost him."

The  dwarves wanted to know why he had ever been brought at all, why he  could not stick to his friends and come along with them, and why the  wizard had not chosen someone with more sense.

"Curse that halfling! Now he's lost?" said Dwalin. "He has been more trouble than use so far."

"You  would be lost too had we not come back for you," Hannah reminded  him crossly in the hobbit's defense. They never would have been able to  find their way out if that maze of tunnels in time without Mr. Gandalf's  help.

"I brought him, and I do not bring things that are of no  use," said Gandalf angrily. "Either you help me look for him, or Hannah  and I will go and leave you here to get out of this mess as best you can  by yourselves. If we can only find him again, you will thank me before  all is over. Whatever did you want to go and drop him for, Dori?"

"You  would have dropped him," said Dori, "if a goblin had suddenly grabbed  your leg from behind in the dark, tripped up your feet, and kicked you  in the back!"

"Then why didn't you pick him up again?"

"Good  heavens! Can you ask! Goblins fighting and biting in the dark,  everybody falling over bodies and hitting one another! You nearly  chopped off my head with Glamdring, and Thorin was stabbing here and  there and everywhere with Orcrist. All of a sudden Hannah yelled  something and made one of those blinding flashes, and we saw the goblins  running back yelping. You shouted 'follow me everybody!' and everybody  ought to have followed. We thought everybody had. There was no time to  count, as you know quite well, till we had dashed through the  gate-guards, out of the lower door, and helter-skelter down here. And  here we are—without the burglar, confusticate him!"

"I'll tell you  what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance, and he took it," said  Thorin sternly. "He has thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm  hearth since first he stepped out if his door. We will not be seeing  our hobbit again. He is long gone."

"No, he isn't!" said Bilbo stepping down into the middle of them, and slipping off the ring.

Oh,  how they jumped! Then they shouted with surprise and delight. Gandalf  was as astonished as any of them, but probably more pleased than all the  others, with the exception of Hannah. He called to Balin and told him  what he thought of a look-out man who let people walk right into them  like that without warning. It is a fact that Bilbo's reputation went up a  very great deal with the dwarves after this. If they had still doubted  that he was really a first-class burglar, in spite of Gandalf's words,  they doubted no longer. Balin was the most puzzled of all; but everyone  said it was a very clever bit of work.

Indeed Bilbo was so pleased  with their praise that he said nothing whatever about the ring; and when  they asked him how he did it, he said: "Oh, just crept along, you  know—very carefully and quietly."

"Well, it is the first time that  even a mouse has along carefully and quietly under my very nose and not  been spotted," said Balin, "and I take my hood off to you." Which he  did. "Balin at your service," said he.

"Your servant, Mr. Baggins," said Bilbo.

Then  they all wanted to know all about his adventures after they had lost  him, and he sat down and told them everything—except about the finding  of the ring ('not just now' he thought). They were particularly  interested in the riddle competition, and shuddered most appreciatively  at his description of Gollum.

"And then I couldn't think of any  other question with him sitting beside me," ended Bilbo; "so I said  'what's in my pocket?' And he couldn't guess in three goes. So I said:  'what about your promise? Show me the way out!' But he came at me to  kill me, and I ran, and fell over, and he missed me in the dark. Then I  followed him because I heard him talking to himself. He thought I really  knew the way out, and so he was making for it. And then he sat down in  the entrance, and I could not get by. So I jumped over him and escaped,  and ran down to the gate."

"What about the goblins? How did you get past them?" Fili asked.

"How indeed," said Dwalin. "Perhaps there weren't there any."

"Well, what does it matter? The important thing is he's back," said Hannah.

"It matters. I want to know," said Thorin. "Why did you come back?" he asked the hobbit.

"Look,  I know you doubt me. I know you always have. And you're right, I often  think of Bag End," said Bilbo. "I miss my books, and my armchair, and my  garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. That's why I came  back, because... you don't have one; a home. It was taken from you. But I  will help you take it back if I can." Upon hearing this, Thorin and many  of the dwarves fell speechless, but Gandalf and Hannah smiled at their  small but brave friend. "And for the record there were lots of goblins,"  Bilbo continued after a moment; "but I dodged 'em. I got stuck in the  door, which was only open a crack, and I lost lots of buttons." He said  sadly, looking at his torn clothes. "But I squeezed through all  right—and here I am."

The dwarves looked at him with quite a new  respect, after hearing his resolve to help them; and when he talked  about dodging guards, jumping over Gollum, and squeezing through, as if  it was not very difficult or alarming.

"What did I tell you?" said  Gandalf laughing. "Mr. Baggins has more about him than you guess." He  gave Bilbo a queer look from under his bushy brows as he said this, and  the hobbit wondered if he guessed at the part of his tale that he had  left out.

Then he had questions of his own to ask, for if Gandalf had  explained it all by now to the dwarves, Bilbo had not heard it. He  wanted to know how the wizard and Hannah had turned up again, where they  had all got to now.

The wizard, to tell the truth, never minded  explaining his cleverness more than once, so now he had told Bilbo that  both he and Elrond had been well aware of the presence of evil goblins  in that part of the mountains. But their main gate used to come out on a  different pass, one more easy to travel by, so that they often caught  people benighted near their gates. Evidently people had given up going  that way, and the goblins must have opened their new entrance at the top  of the pass the dwarves had taken quite recently, because it had been  found quite safe up until now.

"I must see if I can't find a more  or less decent giant to block it up again," said Gandalf, "or soon there  will be no getting over the mountains at all." As soon as Gandalf had  heard Bilbo's yell he realized what had happened, as had Hannah, who had  also been informed of the danger. In the flash which killed the goblins  grabbing them, they had nipped outside to find a side passage and  followed the echoes of goblin voices to the great hall, where the  drivers had brought their prisoners, and there he sat down and worked  the best magic he could in the shadows while Hannah dug inside her bag  to locate the smoke bomb.

"A very ticklish business, it was," Hannah added. "Very touch and go!"

But,  of course, Gandalf had made a special study of bewitchment with fire  and lights (even the hobbit had never forgotten the magic fireworks at  Old Took's midsummer-eve parties, as you remember). And though Hannah  could not use magic herself, she had used what understanding she had of  modern chemistry to master the more practical and technical points in  the knowledge of these areas that he had passed on to her. The rest we  all know—except that Gandalf knew all about the back-door, as the  goblins called the lower gate, where Bilbo lost his buttons. As a matter  of fact it was well known to anybody who was acquainted with this part  of the mountains; but it took a wizard to keep his head in the tunnels  and guide them in the right direction.

"They made that gate ages  ago," he said, "partly for a way of escape, if they needed one; partly  as a way out into the lands beyond, where they still come in the dark  and do great damage, they guard it always and no one has ever managed to  block it up. They will guard it doubly after this," he laughed.

All  the others laughed too. After all they had lost a good deal, but they  had killed the Great Goblin and a great many others besides, and they  had all escaped, so they might be said to have made the best of it so  far. But the wizard called them to their senses.

"We must be  getting on at once, now we are a little rested," he said. "They will be  out after us in hundreds when night comes on; and already shadows are  lengthening. They can smell our footsteps for hours after we have  passed. We must be miles put before dusk. There will be a bit of moon,  if it keeps fine, and that is lucky. Not that they mind the moon much,  but it will give us a little light to steer by."

"Oh, yes!" he said  in answer to more questions from the hobbit. "You lose track of time  inside goblin-tunnels. Today's Thursday, and it was Monday night or  Tuesday morning that we were captured. We have gone miles and miles, and  come right down through the heart of the mountains, and are now on the  other side—quite a shortcut. But we are not at the point to which our  pass would have brought us; we are too far to the North, and have some  awkward country ahead. And we are still pretty high up. Let's get on!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

475K 25.7K 52
[A Wattpad FEATURED story!] She's been King Thranduil's close friend for a long time. But when a shocking rumor about his past comes to light, it sha...
440K 11.9K 38
First book She is older than most. She was feared. She was a queen. One people believed to be dead. For ages she was never seen. Until a certain w...
93.6K 4.7K 48
After the horrible incident in the fortress of Gundabad, Turwaithiel returns to Rivendell as a different person. Her night is filled with horrible dr...
150K 4.4K 30
The tragic story of the love of Thranduil's life. Who died to protect her one and only son, Legolas. But is this true, or did she survive?