Dancing On The Edge Of A Knife

By Devilsmom

When Ester Celeste finally used that coupon for free dance lessons with the famous Sierra Stone, she did not... More

1. Prologue
2. Entrance
3. Disgusting
4. Ride
5. Evil
6. Bottle
7. Restaurant
8. Liquid
9. Dancing
10. Seduction
11. Tango
12. Scary
13. Call
14. Loneliness
15. Realization
16. Roses
17. Text
18. Beach House
19. Tears
20. Apologies
21. Off
22. Start
23. Rocks
24. Confusion
25. Lingerie
26. Change
27. Insight
28. Coffee
29. Blocked
31. Friend
32. Advice
33. Water
34. Wine
35. Family
36. Night
37. Reality
38. Okay
39. Talk
40. Blind
41. Date
42. Shock
43. Heartless
44. Second
45. Fine
46. Walls
47. Crowded
48. Terrace
49. Epilogue
50. Epilogue pt.2
Projects

30. Argument

6.1K 268 4
By Devilsmom

"So let me get this straight." Ester said before taking another sip of her martini. She looked at Sierra, who was laying beside her on a lounger, just like herself. The sun was shining and even though Sierra did offer her a bikini, she wasn't comfortable with it at this moment.

"You invited me over, saying you needed help with your rock path. And I came here, ready to get my hands dirty. Just to see five shirtless men working on that path." Ester finished and Sierra nodded.

"Exactly." Her friend giggled before taking a sip of her own martini. She looked back at the scene in front of them and Ester followed that action. Those men were fit and tanned. Yet, Ester didn't really feel that exciting spark in her as she watched them work.

Their six packs and cute smiles didn't do it for her that day, so she stood up and decided to get another drink. Something non-alcoholic. Once she stepped inside, a cold breeze greeted her and she smiled in satisfaction.

It was incredibly hot today, hence the shirtless workers in Sierra's backyard. As Ester poured herself another glass, she heard the front door open and looked at the newcomer. Her eyes widened slightly as she watched Devon walk in with a pair of black sunglasses resting on his nose.

He didn't seem to see her at first and walked straight through the kitchen and out into the backyard. Ester's cheeks heated up in embarrassment. Great, he didn't even look at her and she was already blushing.

She watched him talk to Sierra and wondered what he was even doing here. He surely wasn't here for the same reason as her? To watch these guys? No, definitely not. Ester just shook her head and continued pouring herself a glass of water.

Whilst she was busy with that, Devon sighed when his sister just greeted him with a casual smile.
"You needed my help?" He asked her, referring to the text Sierra sent him a few minutes ago.

"Yeah, could you please watch these guys while Ester and I go change?" Sierra asked, standing up from her lounge and facing her brother, whose eyes widened behind his sunglasses. Ester?

"What? That's your emergency?!" He got rid of his sunglasses and put them in his pocket. God, he didn't even check himself in the mirror before he came here. And where the heck was Ester? He didn't even see her.

"Yes. What if they steal something? I mean after all, these are five muscular men and we are two beautiful women. We wouldn't stand a chance against them." Sierra forced a smile. She just wanted away from these watchful eyes.

"You should've asked me to lay that path, Sierra. You know better than to let some guys do it while you girls are alone." Devon sighed at his sister, who shrugged. His face softened and then he nodded.

"Alright. Go change. But don't you dare change into any less than this, Sierra. You and Ester both. These guys don't need the show." Devon growled.
"Of course not. What do you think of us?" Sierra hissed.

"Just go change." Devon snapped and gently pushed her inside. He was looking for Ester, but he still couldn't spot her anywhere. So for now he just turned around, crossed his arms over his chest and watched the men work, glaring occasionally whenever one's gaze would meet his.

When Ester and Sierra came back downstairs a few minutes later, the guys were already done with their work. Devon paid them, much to Sierra's annoyance. The girls walked in as Devon sent the men on their way home.

"Devon! What were you doing?" After closing the door, he turned around to see his sister in the same clothes as before. Which didn't even faze him because he saw Ester from the corner of his eyes and shifted his gaze towards her. Man, she looked good.

"Devon." Sierra demanded, so he looked back at her before rolling his eyes.
"They're done." He shrugged before walking past her and into the kitchen, eyeing Ester when she wouldn't meet his eyes.

"Let me pay you back." Sierra quickly said and Devon turned around to object, but his sister was already sprinting upstairs to get her money. She was out of his sight within a heartbeat and Devon once again looked at Ester.

She was quiet, too quiet for his liking. Did she decide to ignore him now that she rejected him last night? Did she even notice him in the room? Of course she did, she's not stupid. Or at least that's what he thought. He wouldn't know, because she didn't even look at him for fuck's sake!

He clenched his jaw and turned back around to walk into the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water. He was still on a sugar rush from last night. God, how much ice cream did he eat?

"I didn't know we were on base one again." He muttered loud enough for Ester to hear. Her eyes widened and she quickly walked over to him, the kitchen island being the only barrier between them.

"I didn't know that either." She crossed her arms over her chest, waiting for Devon to turn around and look at her. But she also didn't want him to see her still blushing for him. Get a grip, Ester!

Devon just let out a sarcastic breath before turning around and nodding with a tight jaw. Ester knew he was upset and she couldn't blame him. But he also shouldn't blame her, because this was just as weird for her as it was for him. She's never exactly rejected someone.

"Is this because of yesterday? Because you said it was okay-"
"It's not because of yesterday, damn it. You said no and that's fine, really." Devon hissed, interrupting her.

"I mean, get over it. You rejected me, boohoo." He shook his head in annoyance, making Ester narrow her eyes at him. She laughed sarcastically.
"So it is because of yesterday. That is so typical. You get rejected and start acting like an asshole again. Why does that not surprise me?" She threw her hands in the air, making Devon glare at her.

"I'm acting like an asshole? Why? Because I'm not exactly happy about last night? I'm sorry, I don't just forget about something like that as easily as you do." He growled as he gripped the edges of the kitchen island tight.

"You're unbelievable, Devon! I said I thought it wasn't a good idea. You know exactly why. You cannot blame it all on me, that's not fair." Ester frowned at him, her hands shaking.
"I know exactly why? You don't trust me, do you?" He narrowed his eyes at her.

"I don't trust you? Are you serious?!" Ester exploded.
"Weirdly enough, I do. I trust you even though I know I shouldn't." Her voice softened and Devon gulped but he was still glaring.

"Why then? What made you say no?" He asked, his voice also sounding calmer. He rounded the kitchen island slowly, so he was standing right in front of Ester. She gulped when his scent reached her nose. How does he always smell so good?

"Look around you. Where are we?" She asked him in a whisper and Devon frowned for a second.
"What do you mean?" He asked before realizing where they were. At his sister's house. His face visibly fell and Ester nodded, looking towards the staircase, afraid Sierra would've heard them again.

"So what? We don't tell her, then." His suggestion didn't sit well with her.
"We don't tell your sister about this? One of my closest friends? Devon, I'm not that type of girl." Ester quickly shook her head and took a step away from him.

"I wouldn't know, you don't let me in." He growled and before Ester could respond, he turned around and left the kitchen. There was no need in running after him, because the second he slammed the door shut, she heard Sierra's footsteps coming downstairs.

"So, how much was- where did he go?" Sierra asked perplexed and Ester just shrugged.
"He said he had some stuff to do." Ester shrugged.

The two girls continued their day and Ester tried her best to feel excited and act happy. But she couldn't stop thinking about Devon again. It was like last night all over again. So she cut the night short and took the bus home after telling Sierra that she wouldn't come to dance tonight.

She just needed to be alone for a while.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 4.6K 33
Completed "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked, glaring at him while he forcefully dragged me out of class. "You told me you need help...
376K 14.4K 38
Then a boy steps out from the crowd, standing between me and the office. He looks to be the same age as me and has startling golden hair hanging limp...
3.5M 89.9K 51
Highest rank #27 in Teen Fiction. Written by @apricitys. _ _ _ "What is this?" He asked, not even bothering to look at the canvas in front of me. Ins...
759K 14.8K 31
Warning ⚠️ I wrote this book when I was 13, you have been warned I walked up to her and pushed her to my chest. "I think you should stop flirting wi...