Tied ➳ l.s.

By larryuniverse

Two Youtubers cross lives in a way Louis thinks is almost fate. His life changes when he serves him that trip... More

Tied - A Larry Stylinson AU
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Please read!
Chapter Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Part 18 has been privated
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty - The Finale
Notes

Chapter Six

6.2K 214 284
By larryuniverse

Louis viewed over his shoulder as Harry played with his phone. "What are you doing?"

Harry didn't respond, only typing a little faster. Louis rested his head on Harry's shoulder, his folded arms over his broad back. Harry turned his head, passing the phone back to him and showing off a little mischievous grin.  Louis stared at his phone, trying to look for any changes while he moved and sat back down next to Harry.

Louis rolled his eyes. "Really?"

"The name was boring."

"What is mine in your phone then?" Louis asked him, taking another look at the name Harry put as his contact name. Curly Wurly.

"Take a guess."

"Munchkin?" Louis asked with his eyebrows raised. Harry smirked cheekily, pinching at the small of Louis' back.  He passed over his phone, Louis looking at the name written on his number. "Knew it."

"Couldn't think of any other name."

"Oh really? What about Louis?"

"Or Lewis, maybe?"

"Hey, fuck you," Louis snickered at him, tossing over Harry's phone into his lap and diving for his sandwich again to delve in on the eggy goodness. "What do you have this afternoon?"

"Have a study date with my English professor," Harry winked, watching Louis stiffen up slightly when he sucked in a heavy breath. "Jealous?"

"No. I j-just remembered I had to do something."

"Like?"

"I have to clean the coffee machine today," Louis lied - but he was actually convincing enough to get through to Harry. "I'm scared I might nip my hand again with the froth and shit."

Harry swallowed his food before speaking. "Give me your hand."

Louis rose his hand, a little wondrous on what Harry was going to do. "You're not going to bite me, are you?" Harry kissed the back of his hand

"Louis, I might be hungry but I'm not that hungry."

"Oh, so if you were that hungry, you'd actually eat me?" Harry didn't respond, only biting at his sandwich slowly and slyly. Louis whacked his leg. "How very dare you."

"Love you, babe." Harry teased, opening his full mouth and grinning like a moron, making Louis turn away with a sick stomach.

"Fuck up, you're horrid." 

"Says the one that gets gummyworms in their ice-cream."

Louis groaned. "It was one time. And that was over 3 days ago."

"Never going to let it go."

"You will once I find something embarrassing about you and blackmail you with it."

"You said the same thing about a nickname, yet you have nothing. So ha ha, I win, fuck you, get a cactus and shove it up your arse."

Louis pouted dramatically. "But I want an oak."

"Oh," Harry spoke with surprise. "An oak instead of a cactus? I don't know Louis."

"Please."

"Yeah, 'kay then," Harry laughed at him, snaking an arm around his waist and shuffling Louis closer to himself. He used Louis' shoulder as a headrest, leaning and eating at the same time. Louis played with his phone, Harry noticing he was messaging someone. "Messaging your boyfriend?"

"Yeah." Louis could hear Harry gulp slowly. "Jealous?"

Louis could feel Harry's head slowly levitating above his shoulder now, a little unsure of what to think. "You're just fucking around with me, aren't you?"

"N-nah. Why would you think that?" Louis questioned him, showing him the new message he's composing. Harry saw the name. It sounded all fancy and nice. Niall. "O-oh, did you think--"

"I'm so sorry, Louis, I-I thought--"

"Harry, I was jus-- Harry?" Harry packed his things up in a jiffy, starting to jog away. Louis widened his eyes, shouting for Harry. "Where are you going?!"

He stopped, turning around with his head down in shame. "I-I'm so sorry, Louis. I didn't know. I am so, so sorry..."

Shit, Louis went too far this time. "Harry!" But Harry didn't return. He became quiet, watching the bandana boy run away to god knows where. He sat on the grass, staring at his phone with his own thoughts seeping out to the world. "I was only joking around..."

*******

louis-tomlinson asked: please x

Harry hated pranks. He hated them more than his snake phobia. He hated it more than cheating or lying. He has hated pranks ever since he was a victim when he was 11, his pants being pulled down in front of the year six cohort. He hated being embarrassed, and he was so pissed off with Louis. Harry probably showed too much affection. He probably even showed that he was actually jealous.

harry-styles: do you think that maybe i can't just forgive you easily? 

louis-tomlinson asked: can't we just sort it out? like everything else? x

harry-styles: louis, it's not that easy. 

Louis took a rather long time to come back with another sappy excuse to get Harry to forgive him. It was because he needed to sort this out openly and quickly. He called Harry, Harry's phone buzzing on the kitchen counter as he answered and pressed the speaker to his ear, swallowing the pasta he had in his mouth. 

"Harry, I--"

"Louis. I'm kinda busy."

"W-with what?" Harry knew it wasn't a good enough excuse to say he was just eating dinner. He sighed, rolling his eyes as he settled his fork down to the plate.

"Look, I just have a hard time with jokes and shit. I don't really... I've just had a really bad past with them."

"Love, you could have told me that."

"Well, I never had the chance to," Harry leaned forward, his arm with the phone resting on the bench as he relaxed. "I'm sorry too, you know. I kinda should have got the message with your playful voice."

"It was my fault."

"I know," Harry spoke upfront. "B-but you were kidding, right?"

Over the line, Louis was rolling his eyes, and Harry could hear it. "Of course, Harry. I would have told you instantly if I was seeing someone else."

"O-okay, good."

"Good?"

"What I mean is, good, you aren't lying to me." Harry's words had a double meaning.

"And don't leave me hanging in the shop without coming to see me, okay? Remember? I was quite worried when you didn't see me yesterday. I thought I broke everything apart."

"Don't think like that. And of course. I'll be in all day tomorrow so I'll pick you up for lunch at around 2ish." Harry explained.

"Text me."

"Good I gave you my number, heh?"

"Should have given it to me earlier."

"Don't rush anything, Louis. Trust is an issue with people who I've just met."

"Sweet," Louis grinned into the phone. "See you tomorrow."

"Bye, munchkin." Fucking dickhead, Louis laughed to himself.

*************

Louis' slender back was poked at making him squeal much louder than intended, grabbing everyone's attention in the cafe to focus on Harry and Louis at the counter.

Louis turned away from his back against the counter to face him, snapping in a whisper. "You didn't text me!"

"I got out early. I wanted to surprise you."

"Yeah, but I thought you're some idiot who wanted a coffe-- Oh, wait." Louis smirked, in the process of taking his apron off. Harry snarled in a dull stare, following his eyes with Louis walking out of his spot and around the counter, calling out he was going for his lunch break with Harry.

They walked out of the coffee house, heading to buy lunch at the Guild with a light conversation of where to sit today being converse in the line. Ambling out together with chicken sandwiches - no mayo for Harry - Louis spoke up saying he wanted to go near the New Fortune Theatre to look at the koi pond near the stage.

The walk there was quite nice, the autumn breeze blowing Louis' caramel hair all over the place. Harry's remained in tact - the bastard with his bandana. The two took a seat on the verandah, unable to get access to the pretty paths on the other side. Instead of facing the pond with the fish popping up and swimming in the murky water, Louis and Harry had their eyes on each other, talking and munching on their lunches still giggling with their mouths full as they pulled faces to each other.

Louis fed Harry, stupidly enough, the last quarter of Harry's sandwich. It was pointless and Harry ended up choking slightly from laughing while trying to swallow. Louis offered to take their rubbish to the bin, Harry following him to the bins so the two could end up at the theatre. Louis requested Harry and himself to sit on the stage, away from the peacocks. With their legs dangling over the edge and their hands beside them freely, they started to talk. Like, with almost complete seriousness. And Louis seemed to like it.

"Lou, do you think maybe we actually haven't got to know each other that well?"

"Well, it's only been a few weeks."

"I-I know but just the simple things. Our likes, dislikes. I want to get to know you better. Your favourite colour, animal, what your best birthday present was--"

"I'm not going to make you my biography book, Harry. I wasn't expecting you to learn every single thing about me. You know, I'm just glad you're spending time with me. I don't want you thinking when I said I want you to try harder to mean you need to know every little thing about me."

Harry grasped his hand. "I want to get to know you."

Louis flushed with pink cross his cheeks, his neck shrinking as he smiled towards the brick ground work. He could feel Harry's eyes on him, Louis wanting to gaze up but he was so sure if he did, he would end up rubbing noses with Harry. He encouraged himself, finally tilting his head up to see that Harry wasn't even looking at him anymore but rather the peacocks on the second floor of the theatre.

Did Harry realize his hand was still on Louis'? Of course he did, it was nestled right in. Their fingers weren't interlocked. They might as well be though.

"You want to get to know me, huh?" Louis asked, curious to see if Harry would pull his hand away or if he would continue if anything wasn't really happening. "What do you want to know about me?"

And Harry didn't move anything lower than his chest. He looked over to Louis, giving a small smile without his teeth. He looked so beautiful this way. It wasn't the proper smile Louis loved, but Louis loved this more. He spoke solemnly and calmly.

"What do you find attractive in a person, Louis?"

Louis didn't really think this question was somewhat necessary to 'getting to know' someone as a friend. He answered any how.

"I like someone who loves to play around, and have fun," Louis told. "Childish, almost, I couls say. I love people who are careless with certain things. Like, I don't want any one running off a cliff saying I don't care because obviously, if they died, I would care. The remorse would be inevitable."

Harry made a mental note. "So you love to have fun?"

"You've already got the bunch of it from me, Haz. Have you had fun when with me?"

"Of course."

"Well, then, you know," Louis beamed. "How about you, Styles. What is your favourite chocolate?"

"White."

"That shit?" Louis scoffed. "You might as well be drinking bleach."

"Thanks."

"Favourite colour?"

"Orange because it reminds me of the sun and how it beams and gives life on Earth."

"I thought you would have said because it looks pretty."

"Louis, pink is pretty."

"Which is why that's my favourite colour," Louis winked. "Just a hint hint for you."

"Favourite animal?" Harry quizzed.

"Dog, you?" 

"You," He slyly grinned, making Louis scream bastard and nudge his shoulder with his own. Mind you, their hands were still together. "Cat."

"We're so different," Louis' voice made the statement seem horrible. Harry sighed, looking to his jean covered knees. "W-we're really different."

"There's nothing wrong with that, Louis."

"But we have to have something in common, don't we?" Louis asked him. "We can't get along unless we have something in common."

"Who says?"

"Probably the law of physics or some shit, Harry."

"We must have something in common otherwise we wouldn't be friends right now, would we?" Harry grinned, lifting Louis' hopes up. "You know, maybe we're that different, it's the thing we have in common. Or we're just that weird, we have that in common."

"Harry."

"Lou."

"Seems feasible enough."

"Ooh, feasible." Harry teased.

"Stop it, school boy," Louis bit back. "Hey, what time did you need to be back?"

"Don't need to be back. I've finished my lectures today."

"Already?" 

"Yeah. I was just going to stay here for some study at the shop with a delicious latte at my side.

"I could do that for you," Louis cheered merrily. "Wanna go back?"

That moment, Harry removed his hand from Louis', nodding as he jumped off the edge of the stage, waiting for Louis to accompany him for the walk back.

*********

"C'mon, Haz. This one's easy."

"Easy for you to say. You have the answers in front of you."

"Love, I did this in school too." Louis rolled his eyes, trying to push Harry on to find the answer to something on neoplasms. Louis could briefly remember being taught this in class once, but that was yonks ago. He was hoping Harry remembered it. It was a huge part of his degree.

"L-louis, give me a hint?"

"There's six."

"That's no help!"

"Harry," Louis closed the book, placing it down onto the table and shaking his head. "You're not going to remember it unless you study."

"I'm trying."

"Well, try harder because I know you can do this. You just need to look, cover, write, check."

"That's primary school crap."

"Yeah, well looks like you're going to need it if you want that degree," Louis harshly remarked. "Now come on, it's five. I need some help to clear up." Louis started to flip chairs to place downside up onto the tables. Harry followed suite, placing both of their coffee cups on the register counter and aiding Louis to clear the space around him. Louis swept the floor as Harry packed away his study books. He lounged around, leaning on the counter and watching Louis do the dirty work.

"Favourite movie?" Harry questioned suddenly. Louis stopped sweeping, thinking for a moment while leaning on his broomstick.

"Not too sure," Louis spoke in a baffled tone. "I don't watch new movies all that often."

"Pick one."

"Maybe Wizard of Oz or some shit." Louis laughed, stroking on the floor with his brush.

"Pet peeves?"

"People who wear bandanas," Louis joked, watching Harry's mouth fall into an 'o' shape in offence. He started to brush again. "Loud chewers, and people who show off honestly."

Harry nodded in agreement. "Best day you've had so far in your life?"

"Probably moving here. I hated it in the UK." Louis sighed, walking behind the counter to pick up the dustpan and broom, Harry's eyes following him.

"W-what would be the perfect date for you, munchkin?" Harry stammered. He wanted to ask this for a while now but he just couldn't say it. He was afraid Louis would interpret it wrong. With the glance of Louis' eyes looking over to his, Harry knew Louis was okay with the question.

"Probably just... like...," Louis' voice was tiny. Louis was a little ashamed at this point. "Maybe just a small walk, going out and to end the day with the same smile I had on my face the minute I arrived."

"So, you'd like to have a day with someone fun and who'd take you out to places which encouraged you to walk, talk and play?"

Louis looked up in amazement. "Y-yeah, exactly."

Harry made another-- no, several mental notes. "Interesting."

Louis only smiled at Harry, finishing off his chores before the two departed their own ways.

***********

He was babysitting Summer and Chaz yet again, Chaz asleep on a pillow like a tucked up kitten and Summer in Louis' lap, watching the Spongebob Movie. Louis enjoyed this movie, more than he should any way. It was approximately eight, Genevieve calling Louis in as soon as she got the call she needed to rush off for who knows what. Louis was just glad he was being paid double again.

"Uncle Lou," She called. "Can I have cookies or not?"

Her innocent voice was subpar to Louis' mind. He was specifically told no cookies for the children. As much as her button eyes whispered please, Louis had to say no. 

"Sorry darling. Mummy's rules."

"Mummy is shit." Oh! Definitely not what Louis was expecting to come out of the four year old's mouth.

"Summer! That is very inappropriate." 

"Uncle Louis is shit. Chaz is shi--" Louis clasped her mouth shut, his hand curling around her loud mouth to muffle her profanities. 

"Geez Louise, girly!" Louis twisted the child around so she was facing him directly. He looked sharply into her eyes. "That's a bad word! You're not allowed to say it."

"Bad word?"

"Yes, darling. Never say it--" 

"Louis!" She was home.

"Shit..."

"Mummy!" Summer cried. "Louis said shit!"

Genevieve dropped her bag and keys, glaring flabbergasted at Louis. Louis sucked in harshly through his gritted teeth, shrinking down into his shoulders. Fuck. Louis was in the shits.

"Get away from my children and out of my house!"

**************

Laying on his bed with his phone to his ear, Louis breathed into his pillow almost trying to suffocate himself. Harry was on the other side - who else would you expect? - speaking to Louis and trying to calm him down.

"It isn't your fault."

"Harry, Genevieve isn't going to pay me let alone see Summer and Chaz again. She was my best payer. She was frequent and I'm more likely to go down in profit because I've lost them."

"You still have other people."

"Harry, that isn't the point. I'm talking about her in particular. She was pretty much the one that paid me more than any one else. Her children were fun!"

"But you shouldn't feel guilty, Lou. She learnt that word from somewhere and she obviously didn't know what it meant."

Louis rolled over with a groan, placing a hand to his head and blinking towards the ceiling. "What do I do, Haz?"

"You could apologise?"

"I tried that but she threatened me with her broom to get out."

"Well, you're fucked mate. Sorry." Harry tried to be as subtle as possible but his voice context just made him sound helpless, making Louis slightly angry.

"Can't you help me out just a little?!"

"Louis, I d-don't know what else to do! I'm not a babysitter!"

"Harry!" Louis cried out with a dreadful whine, thrashing his hand down into the mattress. "I might as well just drink myself to sleep."

"Don't be melodramatic, love. You'll be fine." Harry rolled his eyes, moving so he was leaning up against his bed frame. "Hey, munchkin, I need to go. I'm editing a video so I'm a little busy."

"Alright."

"Think you'll be okay?" Harry asked with concern. "Don't go drinking and puking everywhere, would you? I want a good lunch tomorrow not holding your head back from spewin' all over the place."

Louis stifled a laugh. "I'll be fine."

"Have some sleep. We'll talk tomorrow." Harry reassured, hanging up the phone to his friend, tending to the laptop to finish off the editing to How to act like a caveman.

************

Louis was seriously not okay.

Early morning, he texted Harry he wasn't coming into work, Harry replying with a sad face with eight extra mouths attached to it. Louis went against Harry's words, downing a quarter of a bottle of whiskey from Niall's spirit cabinet, vomiting literally all over the bathroom early this morning. 

He was stuck in bed with a hang over bigger than life itself. He felt like shit, his stomach felt like shit. He was shit. He could fucking lose his entire baby sitting job if the word got out about Louis' curse word mayhem on children. He could lose all his money and soon enough, he'd lose his dignity because he'd have to get a job as a fucking hooker.

Maybe that way, Louis would get laid. And maybe that way, Louis would be less hard on himself, in his mind any how.

**************

How r u feeling? x

Saturday was around and Louis was better, still feeling a little queasy, but better. He could move around and he was now regaining his irritations back with Zayn in his bedroom and Niall's constant drunk shouting to the world how much he loved Jesus. 

call me? x

Louis doesn't know why he'd rather hear Harry's monotonous voice rather than send a few words to him. It feels like so long since Louis had heard Harry's voice, when actually, it was only yesterday when Louis watched his new video. Louis thinks it's some kind of cure to his bubbly and rupturing stomach. Bandana Boy appeared on the screen, Louis clicking on the green flashing button to answer to Harry's charming voice.

"Needed me?"

"Don't need you. I just want to talk." Louis clarified, laughing to himself as he picked himself up from the mattress, sitting up with his blanket up to his chest.

"Mind telling me why you went against what I said?"

Louis groaned, sighing in annoyance. "Knew you'd bring that up."

"Louis, please don't drown yourself in alcohol. The last thing I need is to pick you up drunk and loopy every time you downfall."

"You don't need to pick me up."

"Maybe one day I will, Lou," Harry sternly back-chatted. "So you're all fine now? I don't need to come over there and stuff your face with a billion paracetamols?"

The last thing Louis wanted was to let Harry come over and see the state of their house. Niall was working, and Zayn was drinking with his mates. Louis hasn't seen the state of the house since last night when he vomited. And the tiles were covered in vomit. 

"I'm fine. Trust me."

"So you're all dandy then?"

"Yes."

"All snugly and fluffy again like a beautiful cupcake, are you?"

"Harry!" Louis laughed.

"So you'll be okay to meet me at Icey Ice at five?" Harry questioned him making Louis parched for words.

"Miss me, don't you?"

"Can't say I don't," Harry grinned into his phone sheepishly. "So, you'll meet me there? Northbridge? Five?"

"Depends," Louis smirked. "What bandana are you going to wear?"

Harry snorted out loud. "Green."

"I'll see you there."

***********

He took the 4:30 bus to Aberdeen Street, arriving 20 minutes later to walk down to the Icey Ice store on William Street. The roads were busy, rush hour from work starting to appear as Louis walked across the bitcherman when cars were in a traffic jam. He arrived on time - for once - waiting for Harry at the window of the store underneath the penguin holding a bowl of ice-cream.

Louis had only been here once, and he could say it was one of the worst places he's ever been to. He wasn't sure whether it was the type of shaven ice-cream he bought - lychee - or whether if it was his taste buds weren't really up to code. He was hoping it'll be good this time around. He didn't want to embarrass himself in front of Harry.

So Harry arrived and as moderately promised, he was wearing a discoloured green bandana around his head. He grinned with his two dimples popping out, looking lavishly pokable before he stood in front of Louis, flicking his cheek unnecessarily.

"Thanks. Good to see you too." Louis snapped coldly.

"That was for not listening to me."

Louis rolled his eyes, urging Harry on to go inside and get some ice-cream.

***********

He was unenthusiastic to try the freshly shaven chocolate ice-cream. Harry had dug into his banana ice already.

He stared up at Louis, unfocused on his food once he saw Louis hadn't even eaten a spoonful. He was holding the spoon, nothing on it, and Louis was just staring at it as if it was some slop from a degraded college.

"Love, is there something wrong?"

"No." Louis shook his head.

"Did they give you the wrong order?" Harry asked him. "Do you want something else? I can buy it if you want."

"N-no. I'm fine," He was really humiliating himself now. "I just had this before and it wasn't very nice."

Harry tisked, putting his spoon down and placing a hand on Louis' knee. "Munchkin, if you didn't like it here, why didn't you tell me over the phone?"

"W-well, I wasn't really thinking straight." Harry could've snorted at that statement. 

"Do you want to go somewhere else then?" Harry could see Louis' eyes fall down, almost looking disappointed in himself. "Louis, please. It doesn't matter where we go. I don't care if you don't like it here and you want to go somewhere else. As long as I'm around you, I'm fine."

Louis shook his head again, taking the spoon and diving it into the shaven brown ice, taking a heap and shoving it into his mouth. He swallowed rapidly, feeling his eyes shoot open entirely as he smiled.

"Holy fuck," Louis took another spoonful, eagerly prodding it at Harry's lips. "Eat! It's so fucking good."

Harry smiled, taking Louis' request and wrapping his lips around the spoon, taking the ice-cream and swallowing it. Maybe this was one of the best ice-creams Louis has ever tasted. Maybe. He was an idiot not to like this before.

He finished the entire plate before Harry could get to the mid-way point.

****************

It was six thirty by the time Louis and Harry got out of Icey Ice, walking out together in a rather close manner. Louis offered a trip to Russell Square, just a plain 8 minute walk from the shop.

The night was closing in and Louis would feel frightened alone. Though, he was with Harry and everything - every little thing - was so much better with Harry. He was safe, secure, even though he had tattoos and frankly looked like a man who could beat you up from saying something about his mum. Louis just was so, so safe with Harry.

Entering the square, Louis could see a few couples out and chatting and taking pictures. Their feet clicked against the red road, walking along the right side because who really knew. The lights around the gazebo were starting to flicker on, Louis feeling rather special because he's never seen street lights turn on before. It was the simplest things which entranced Louis, and the woah that came out of Louis' mouth when he saw the lights turned on baffled Harry at just how amused Louis was at the littlest things.

Even if Harry had a small dick, Louis would be impressed. Thank god I don't though.

Oh, Harry was surprised there was a little attachment to his tall body, a small Louis looping his arms through the gap between Harry's arm and his body. Louis' head tilted over Harry's shoulder, his eyes blinking every few seconds to not miss the moments of the lights turning on. Harry removed his hand from his pocket, shrugging Louis off before circling an arm around Louis' body, tugging him in closer.

Louis obliged, his own arm going across the small of Harry's back. The final light lit up, and the last sunlight was seen over the horizon. Pink clouds started to disappear, and the stars started to shine with the moon. They started to walk again, arm in arm, Harry's hand gripping on Louis' waist. 

Couples ambled away, going home and soon enough it was only Louis and Harry in the square. Harry led himself and Louis to a large tree just near the miniature park, walking away from Louis as he sat down on the plants surrounding the tree. Louis joined him after Harry enticed him with a finger motioning c'mere.

He rested his back into one of the crevasses in the tree, sighing loudly as Harry sat up, looking to Louis with a mischievous grin. 

"Hey."

"Hey," He spoke with a hint of laughter. "Have fun today?"

"Other than laying in bed with a little bit of a leftover hangover this morning, yes, this day was excellent, thank you very much, Styles." Louis cheered.

"Glad," Harry rested back into the tree, gazing upon the other trees of the square. Louis was doing the same. He was motionless and relaxed. He felt perfectly appreciated right now, just with Harry by his side always asking questions and always trying to engage himself with Louis and with his loopy little grin on all the time and -- oh.

His hand was in Louis. Again.

Louis didn't want to panic. He shouldn't panic and frankly, he couldn't panic right now. Harry was holding his hand again but no fingers entwined. So it was all okay, for now. Maybe his hand was cold, but his hands were warmer than Louis. Maybe his hand was lonely? That seems like a logical enough reason for it.

Louis just enjoyed the moment while he could because maybe in a few hours time when he's alone, he might regret it if he didn't enjoy the time he held Harry's hand.

************

The walk back down Aberdeen was quite awful. Harry had to leave to tend to some issues and study back home. Louis understood, saying he needed to take the eight thirty bus from Aberdeen to home.

Their hands remained still in grasped but both seemed so taboo about interlocking their fingers. Louis was quite up to making a move but he just didn't want to lose Harry's hand if he rejected Louis' fingers slipping through the gaps. Maybe it was too much for Harry. Maybe entwining hands meant a sign of romance interest, but groping hands was only friendship interest.

Louis was put in the friendzone - with hands.

Arriving at the stop, Harry waited with Louis until the bus pulled up to the curb. The seats were full but Louis didn't mind, only standing with Harry with their hands joined. He started to feel significantly cold, the cloud cover was absent, making the this Autumn night very chilled.

"Are you cold?" Harry noticed the goose pimples forming on Louis' arms. He nodded with a soft smile teetering on his lips. His hand left Louis'. "Here."

He opened his arms wide, letting Louis slip into his chest comfortably with his arms securing around Harry's broad body. Harry's head fell onto Louis' shoulder with his nose poking at the skin between his neck and shoulder. He rubbed his nose on the spot, feeling how cold Louis actually was.

"Geez, you should have brought a jumper, love."

"I-I'm clueless, you know that."

"Doesn't matter. Everyone makes mistakes." Harry reassured, lifting his chin and placing it on Louis' shoulder, holding him tight and easy. 

Louis felt the need to peel away from the hug but he was so sure if he left, the bus would come and take him away from Harry. Instead, Louis did remove his arms but only twisted in Harry's arms so how his back was against his chest. Harry grinned, gripping Louis compact and resting his head on his shoulder.

"Thank you for tonight, Lou."

"I should thank you," Louis responded. "You've taken me out of boredom and glaring at the computer all day."

"Hmm," Harry hummed into his shoulder. "Rostered for Monday, right?"

"I am. Any lectures for you?"

"Yeah. Two and a meeting. I might be bit busy tomorrow to come in the afternoon."

"As long as we have lunch, right?" Louis asked sweetly. 

"Of course, munchkin," Harry announced, tickling at the shirt of Louis' hem. He screamed faintly, laughing and turning in Harry's arms to laugh into his neck. "Lou."

Louis kept his giggles down, glancing at Harry who was pulling a gentle smile. He grinned back the same way, Harry thumbing Louis' cheek with small strokes. His cheeks were firing up. Thank god it's night time.

"Harry."

"Hey." Harry replied in short, his tongue peeking out of his lips and licking over his bottom lip. He kept a gaze on Louis. It was unreadable. Louis had to expect the unexpected. Did Harry suddenly become close? Really, really close?

Yes, in fact he was. Louis was reachable for a perfect kiss. Louis was ready for this. So fucking ready. He wanted to pull him in and capture his sweet lips between his own. He just wanted to feel him. Louis just wanted to get this over and done with. He was on the tips of his toes, his hands fisting at Harry's shirt to keep him upright. His eyes were fluttering closed and their breaths were mingling.

"H-hey," Harry interrupted. "Your bus is here."

Louis lowered himself, his head dropping down to face the ground with his eyes still closed. His grip on Harry also left.

"I'll see you Monday."

"Y-yeah," Harry stepped away from Louis, becoming some sort of lonesome egg with his hands behind his back. "Bye."

Louis waved pointlessly while walking to the door. He gave one final smile to Harry just as he took his seat in the back, staring at him with his flat smile appearing for a few seconds.

Harry watched the bus drive away, and he felt like his heart was being dragged along behind it.

****************

Louis thinks Sunday was one of the worst days he's ever had.

He wasn't only torn on losing Genevieve as a proper customer (I think you know the reason why you're not getting paid this week. And don't expect any more calls from me, Louis. You should wash out that dirty mouth of yours before going near any other child!!!), he was pulling his hair out on the fact that last night, he was a pin's drop close to kissing Harry.

What did it mean? Well, it's obvious what it meant but what did it mean to Louis? He wanted to kiss him, rather impatiently too. Were these feelings something Louis really needed to think about? Apparently, yes. He didn't want to think about it because for one: Louis isn't supposed to fall in love with Harry, and two; Louis was fucking falling in love with Harry.

Best friends don't fall in love. They become enemies. There was no other outcome. He didn't want to become enemies with one of the sweetest people on Earth.

hey munchkin ;) xx

Curly Wurly appeared on the screen with the message. Louis was so falling in love with Harry.

***********

"You're rather quiet today, Lou."

He was. Louis just didn't want to talk. He was scared the topic of the almost kiss would appear in their conversation. He ate lunch without comment and as much as Harry complained, Louis didn't shut it up, which was rather unusual in Harry's case. By now, he'd hear a threatening comment like I'll shove this sandwich so far up your ass, you'll taste it but there was absolutely nothing.

"I just don't feel too well." He lied. And here came Harry with the check ups. Harry touched his forehead, felt normal and inspected his face. He wasn't pale but he looked more drowsy.

"You didn't drink anything last night, did you?"

"I'm not an alcoholic."

"Love, I didn't say that. But you didn't drink last night, did you?" He watched Louis shake his head, Harry looking over his face for any more signs of sickness.

His lips were right there and questions were flying in and out of Harry's head. He could kiss him down into the grass they were sitting on and he could make Louis feel better. He stopped himself though, knowing the timing wasn't right. He wasn't sure how Louis felt about him and ruining their friendship now was risky.

"Maybe you're getting a cold, Lou. It was rather chilly the other night."

"Y-yeah, m-maybe," Louis bit into his sandwich again, chewing slowly to himself and glaring down to the small patch of brown grass. Louis wasn't feeling well now. His mind was too full of questions which need to be answered. And most of them were about Harry. "Hey, I might head back to work."

Harry frowned at Louis. "It's only quarter past?"

"Yeah, I just feel like heading back. I'll see you later?" Louis stood, brushing himself off lightly as he started to trot away from Harry.

"I can't, remember?" Harry reminded him. "My lecture and my meeting?"

"I'll see you whenever then." Louis waved him off, walking at a quick pace to get away from Harry.

****************

"Just a flat white thanks, no sugar and with soy milk."

"We don't serve that here."

"B-but, I bought it last we--"

"Our machine's broken." Louis spoke bluntly to the customer, watching his eyes narrow before he walked off and out of the shop. Louis remained hunched over the counter with his hand supporting his head. Louis was slipping off into random daydreams every now and again but mostly, he was thinking about Harry.

There was only a few people in the cafe today, Louis not bothering to serve anyone who's orders seem too much to handle. He only served a minor few who were nice to him or gave him a tip. It's been three hours and Louis has only served around ten customers. 

If Harry came in, it would have been eleven.

************

He was resting on the carpet floor in the obscure light with his phone vibrantly shining above his face. He wonders how stupid he would be if he asked Harry to go on a date. Harry would probably tell him to fuck off and never speak to him again. He was sure Harry wasn't the guy to date guys like Louis. Or to date guys in general. Louis hated himself right now. Gays never get an advantage.

Louis' mind was circling around so many scenarios. He had to really pick two obvious ones. He's going to say yes, or he's going to say no. There was no maybe, or how about next time, or I'm busy. It's yes or no.

Louis then started to drift off into his thoughts. If Louis just asked to hang out, like the usual, then it could transform into something more. Maybe Louis could hold his hand, snuggle up to him and maybe - just maybe - score a peck on the lips from Harry. If it was just a hang out-- but then Harry might use that as an excuse if Louis wanted something more.

It was just a hang out, Louis, I didn't mean it to be something more.

That reminds Louis of something, but he doesn't click right on the dot what it was. The other day when Harry and him were talking, the perfect date, Louis should have asked him what his perfect date was! Now Louis has to start from scratch on planning everything.

Wait. Louis froze, staring up to the ceiling with his eyebrows high. When Harry asked the question to Louis, what did he say? Harry narrowed it down to a walk, talk and play.

Played at Icey Ice, talked all night, walked to Russell Square. Adding with cuddling and sweet talk.

Louis gasped. Harry took him out on a date, and Louis didn't even realize it.

*************

He wasn't rostered for Tuesday and he didn't tell Harry, which was a stupid thing to do because immediately when Harry arrived in the shop and saw the absence of Louis behind the counter, he freaked out.

where r u !!! xx :(

He was sleeping in and his phone vibrated against the nightstand, waking him up. He moaned, reaching over for his phone trying to adjust the light coming into the room before he replied back with many spelling errors.

im honme becuaes i dnt hav workk xc

Harry called Louis straight away, making Louis glower even more.

"What?"

"Louis, are you drunk?"

"Why is it every time I want a sleep in, you always accuse me of being drunk!" Louis shouted.

"I'm sorry. You just seemed a little off this morning, Lou."

"Yeah, sorry."

"I am, Louis."

"Can't I have some time to myself, Harry? I mean, use some common sense! If I'm not in work, I'm obviously not rostered," Louis explained harshly. "You don't need to stress out every time I'm not in work."

"Well, you'd usually tell me if you're not in so I don't have to bother walking in. I can't know everything at once, Louis. Plus, you're the one telling me I should come in every day to see you, and that I should make an effort on making this relationship better."

"Friendship."

"You fucking know what I mean."

"Don't snap at me, Styles. I don't deserve it at this time of morning!" Harry hung up on him. Louis slammed his phone to the beside table to finish off his sleep in.

***************

Despite the fight earlier on, Louis wanted to head into the university and have lunch with Harry. He'd rather ask him out in person, rather than phone. He'd look rather lazy that way. He was worried that something might happen. With Louis' anxiety, he could freak out the minute he sees Harry's tattoo again. Or, he could go bananas if people started to laugh at him for asking him out.

Louis had to calm down and face the facts if Harry were to say no. But really, how could he? Harry has already, very discreetly and subtly, asked Louis out on a date. It would seem very odd if Harry said no to Louis.

He messaged Harry - meet me at the guild at 1? xx - before he took the bus to the University and walked along the promenade to the Guild. He checked the time, it was around quarter to one by the time Harry showed his face. Louis sent over a weak smile, watching Harry's face remain in a small frown.

Harry reached forward and hugged him, rather unexpected. Louis hugged him back, breathing in his scent of that lovely cologne he wears. This man was so glammed up for the uni life. Louis would laugh at him constantly if Louis wasn't already crushing on him.

He pulled away, resting his large hands on Louis' shoulders, looking down to him with soft eyes. 

"I'm really sorry, love. I didn't mean--"

"Shut up, you. Let's just have some lunch." Louis laughed, batting his chest effortlessly before walking with Harry to grab their sandwiches.

************

It was time.

"Harry?"

"Yes, munchkin?" Way too put me off from being serious.

He giggled quietly before shrugging it off. "The other day, when we... hung out, was there... um, was there something else?"

Harry's upper lip went up in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"L-like, um, like not a hang out?"

"A meeting?"

"N-no, like a date?" Louis stuttered, making Harry stop chewing and become blank in the face. "I-I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean to think that it was different. God, I'm so stupid--"

"Louis, you aren't stupid," Harry put his sandwich down in the packet, facing Louis with his cheeks pinking up. "I'm the stupid one to think you wouldn't think of it otherwise."

"S-so... It was a date?"

Harry shrugged. "Half half."

"So you want to get to know me, that way?"

"Louis."

"So is that why you asked me the other day what my perfect date would be?" Louis asked him, his tone making him sound mad rather than happy.

"Lou--"

"And you actually listened to me?"

"Louis! Please! Just let me explain--"

"Christ, Harry," Louis shook his head. "You actually want to get to know me like that?"

"Look, I'm sorry, okay! I'm sorry for thinking that something could happen. I'm sorry for misleading our hang out. I just wanted to spend some time with you, okay? I just wanted to see if... you know, if... I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apolo--"

"I-I-I'm just sorry, okay." Harry gathered his things, leaving his sandwich behind and starting to walk away. "I'm sorry, Louis."

Louis didn't call him back, sitting like a stone in bewilderment. 

************

louis-tomlinson asked: you're overreacting. x

Harry read the message over and over, not really sure on what to reply with. He was quite surprised Louis still wanted to talk to him. He had already made a mess of himself. He knew he shouldn't have taken Louis on a secret date. He knew he shouldn't have tried so hard to get to know Louis, like that.

harry-styles: i'm just really sorry. please forgive me. xx

louis-tomlinson asked: you don't need to apologize. x

harry-styles: can you call me? x

louis-tomlinson: you do it. i'm out of credit. xx

Harry called Louis instantly.

"Hey."

"Hey, I'm--"

"Don't you dare start apologizing, Curly!" Louis screamed at him. "I've already said it's all okay. You don't need to apologize!"

"But why, Louis? I've pretty much fucked everything up. I know you don't like me asking so many questions because I want to get to know you. I know you want some space. I know that you don't feel the same way about me like I feel about you--"

"Woahwoahwoah, hang on a fucking minute, Harry," Louis interrupted. "Feel what about me?"

"I-I gotta go..." Harry hung up on him, Louis cursing at the phone before screaming into his pillow.

************

Harry was tempted to skip his lectures and study online so he wouldn't have to face Louis. He had no sleep last night and his nails were chewed to the cuticle. His curls weren't curls, but were straight from stress. He wasn't in great condition, as it may seem, but Harry just couldn't stop thinking about how much he's messed everything up because he actually confirmed - pretty much - to Louis he liked him more than a friend.

It's been nearly two months, and whether or not it was appropriate to say that Harry was actually falling in love with Louis, Harry was not going to say it. He didn't want Louis knowing how he really felt about him. He just wants everything back to normal. To hang out as friends. To have lunch as friends. To talk as friends. Nothing else.

He forced himself to go. He needed to clear things with Louis. He arrived at UWA, walking to the Hackett coffee shop to see Louis serving some 2nd year psychology students. He waited in line, grabbing two chocolate bars from the snack section while moving towards the front of the line. He heart thumped harder against his chest. What if Louis didn't want to talk to him? What if Louis shoos him away?

"Hey, stranger," Louis' voice was playful, making Harry a little more nervous than expected. "The usual?"

"Yeah, that'd be great," Louis served him, making the drink quickly. He placed the lid on after dusting the top with a little more than the reasonable amount. He handed it over to Harry, charging him for the chocolate bars before Harry started to drink at the counter, forgetting there was actually people behind him. "Lou, can we talk?"

"After I serve some people--"

"Now." Harry demanded, sternly glaring at Louis as he nodded, starting to take off his apron and shouting to Mia to take over the post. She gave him the okay, Louis walking around the counter and meeting Harry outside of the coffee shop.

Louis rose an eyebrow at Harry. "What's the matter?"

"Last night, was the matter, Lou. I just can't stop thinking about everything. I just want it to stop because I know that everything is fucked up because I took you out on a date."

"Harry, have you even thought about me?" Louis questioned. "Have you even thought about asking me how I actually felt about it? You simply put off everything with your own assumptions, even if they're incorrect."

"Well, how else would you respond to me? I know how you're going to respond to me."

"How? Me saying no, why the fuck did you take me out? Harry, you're so far from what I would have actually said."

"At the moment, I don't actually care about what you're going to say, okay? I just want to be friends. I don't want anything more, alright? Friends? Just friends?"

Louis' throat closed up. "J-just friends?"

"Yes. I've thought about it and I don't want to ruin this anymore. I just want to be friends."

Louis' heart sunk to hell. "Y-yeah."

Harry put his hand out to shake. "Friends?" Louis took it, shaking it gently.

"Yeah, friends."

Parting to their own duties, Louis solemnly went back behind the counter with a frown. He wasn't going to give up. As long as Harry is his friend, Louis could work with it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79K 2.6K 32
❝You're so uptight all the time.❞ ❝If your pants weren't so tight all the time, resulting in me having to look out for you, I could actually have som...
64.1K 2K 1
Louis is depressed. Nobody accepts him, nobody likes him. That is, until he meets his next door neighbor, Harry Styles. (Larry Stylinson One Shot)
496K 18.6K 23
one where louis has an eating disorder and works at a café. he meets the baker with the big heart, and horrible flirting skills who just wants to kno...
4.7K 317 20
◆COMPLETED◆ One where Harry has the power of Pyrokinesis (Manipulating and generating fire) and Louis, a mischievous mortal, can't resist his curiosi...