Black Rose

Por KateeSmurfette

Rose Kidman is what people refer to as nice, naive, too kind, too trusting and basically a doormat, but she f... Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Author's Note
Chapter 22

Chapter 6

5.2K 279 37
Por KateeSmurfette

I couldn't believe it.

My eyes refused to believe it.

"Uh Rose, I'm beginning to seriously wonder who no one is. They seem to be extremely grateful," Celia commented.

She and I were standing at the door of my classroom where we had a full view of the sea of blackness before us. Virtually every part of the room was covered in black roses. I was too stunned to speak, let alone comprehend the situation before me.

"Rose? Celia? Are the two of you ok?" Gail asked behind us. It was very early in the morning, and I'd come in a little earlier so that I could prepare for my classes.

"I don't think Rose can form a sentence right now," I heard Celia reply.

"What's going on?" Gail asked before she saw it.

"Holy mother of all things! This is what he wanted the keys for?" she asked lowly.

That did it. "The keys?"

"He drove by at midnight to ask me for the keys to the school. He wouldn't tell me why he wanted them. This is not ok," she replied.

"Who are we talking about here?" Celia questioned.

I ignored her and instead asked Gail. "Where am I going to teach?"

"I'll arrange for someone to get rid of the roses. For first period you can teach in Mr Reece's class since he has a free period. Please excuse me. I have a brother to give a stern talking to," she said before walking away.

"Ok, that was weird. What's going on Rose? What's all of this?" Celia asked just as I noticed an envelope taped to the wall with my name on it. I grabbed it and pulled out the note:

I can be very persistent. Have dinner with me.

OMB

Unlike the first note that came with the roses, this one wasn't on a personalized note. It was on a blank piece of expensive looking cardboard paper. It surprisingly smelled like him, and I'd forgotten that Celia was there as I sniffed the note, inhaling the heavenly scent.

"Why is she behaving like a lovesick teenager by smelling notes?" I heard Talia ask.

"You ask her. I seem to be getting nowhere," Celia replied.

"Holy crap! Your classroom is swimming in roses!" Talia exclaimed once she laid eyes on them.

"I know. I need your help with something," I told them.

They both agreed and I explained my plan. Some of the roses came as bouquets, while some came in those boxes. We managed to collect some of the ones in the boxes and put them together to form the word no. I took a picture of the word and sent it through to him. My phone buzzed just seconds later:

Challenge accepted.

I had no idea what that meant until five men walked up to us. They were all dressed in black clothing, which I thought looked suspicious. We were standing outside my class and I thought that they were coming to take the roses away.

I have never been so wrong in my life.

Instead they each had a jewellery box with them. The last thing I expected them to do was kneel before me, before they opened the boxes in sequence. In each box was a different piece of exquisite jewellery, and on the top of the box was a word. All five boxes formed a question:

Have dinner with me?

I could only shake my head, laughing to myself. Olivier Myron Black has to be the most cutely immature person I've ever met in my life. Celia and Talia were still in awe of the jewellery while I sent him a message:

Jewellery? Really?

His response came through seconds later:

I have taken the day off, which means I have the whole day to convince you to have dinner with me. Surrender now and you'll be left in peace.

I texted back:

You can keep all of your gifts. You're going to have to try a lot harder than that.

"Rose, seriously, what's going on?" Talia asked me.

"It's nothing," I replied.

"Except someone clearly wants you to have dinner with them," Celia argued.

I turned to the men who were still kneeling. "Please return all of these to him, and if he told you to tell me that returning gifts is rude, tell him that I say it's rude to pester people."

They looked amused as they nodded which only confirmed my thoughts about the rudeness statement.

"This isn't the first gift you're receiving from this man, and he's clearly a wealthy man. Gee Rose, you've only been here for three months and already you've bagged yourself a rich man," Celia noted.

"I haven't bagged myself anything. I'm just dealing with a thorn in my side," I responded.

They decided to let the whole thing go, which I was grateful for. I headed to Mr Reece's class and he gladly let me prep in there. School started and things from Olivier's side were quiet for the first two hours, until I received a text:

It's rude to pester people? That's the best you could come up with?

I quickly texted back since I had a class that was about to start:

It very much is. Now, some of us actually have work to do, so please refrain from bothering me.

As expected, his response very quickly came through:

Not a part of the challenge Miss Kidman, unless if this is you surrendering.

I responded:

Not by a long shot.

He didn't respond to that message, and again I wasn't bothered for another hour. I was beginning to think that he'd perhaps given up, but I should've never been that gullible in the first place. For the next four hours, I was the talk of the school as different gifts and things arrived that would prove to disrupt the school.

Balloons with the words 'have dinner with me' on them.

A cake with the words 'have dinner with me' on it.

A mariachi band singing 'have dinner with me' to some tune.

A choir singing 'have dinner with me' to some tune.

The cheerleading squad performing a 'have dinner with me' spirit cheer.

A 'have dinner with me' message flying over the school on a blimp.

A puppy coming into my class with the note 'have dinner with me' on its collar.

Gail walked into the second to last class that I was teaching. "Miss Kidman, please come with me."

I followed her all the way outside and my eyes widened at the car before us with the words 'have dinner with me' on the windshield. "What the hell is going on, besides the fact that my brother clearly wants you to have dinner with him?"

"Nothing is going on. I refused to have dinner with him and this is his way of pressuring me into saying yes," I replied.

She pinched the bridge of her nose, sighing. "This is all a challenge to him?"

I nodded. "I guess you can say so."

"Please humour him. He's disrupted this day enough," she said, clearly irritated.

"But-"

"It's just dinner Miss Kidman," she shut me down before going back into the building.

Except it wasn't just dinner.

I may be naive a lot of the times in my life, but even I knew that this was more than dinner. Olivier Black isn't someone I should be entertaining. I should be staying far away from him, except it doesn't look like he's going to let me stay far.

By the time the last bell of the day went, the kids were still discussing Miss Kidman's gifts and all, while I had to gather my wits before facing Grace. She sent me a text to say that they were outside. I headed to the car with my puppy, and I wasn't all that shocked to find Olivier in the car too. Grace was sitting in the front with Fabio, and I had to sit with him at the back.

"You got a puppy too?" was the first thing that came out of Grace's mouth as she reached for the puppy.

I shot her father a look, to which he smirked to. "I guess you could say so, except dogs aren't allowed in my building. Why don't you keep him?"

"Can I?" she asked her father.

"We'll see," was all he said.

"So, what did you spend the day doing besides panicking?" I asked her.

"I went shopping for food with dad before we went for lunch. He's been busy on his phone the whole day though, especially for someone who told me that this was their day off," she said, taking a shot at him. He scowled at her.

"He was probably busy pestering some poor person," I said, deadpan. Fabio chuckled, covering it up with a cough.

"Is that what you were doing dad? Because that's not nice," Grace commented.

He shot me a glare that she didn't catch. "I wasn't bothering anyone princess. I was simply trying to close a deal."

"On your day off?" I asked, antagonizing him.

"The person is rather stubborn," he replied.

"Maybe they see the warning signs with doing business with you," I commented.

"They know nothing about how I conduct business, so why would they be wary?" he asked.

Fabio cleared his throat. "Grace, have you texted Nina yet?"

He was telling us to cut it out, which means he's aware of what's going on.

"Yeah! She and the twins will be at her house in the next fifteen minutes, which is around the same time we should get there according to the GPS," she responded.

"Have you spoken to Nate already?" I asked her.

She nodded. "They gave him my numbers and we've been texting since. He seems just as cool as Nina and Tate, so that's a bonus."

"Everything is going to go great Grace. Don't worry," I replied.

She sent me a smile. "I know it is. What are your plans for the weekend?"

"Yes Miss Kidman, what do you have planned for this lovely weekend?" Olivier added.

"Well for one, I intend to be in my apartment the whole weekend. I'm just not sure what I'll be doing, but I'll definitely be doing it alone," I emphasized.

"Grace, what did Nina say you must bring again?" Fabio asked her.

Olivier smirked before saying to me in a low voice. "Why do it alone when there's a willing party?"

My mouth dropped in disbelief. "What?"

"I'm just saying, my offer sounds a hell of a lot better than being home alone tonight," he replied while Grace was engaged in conversation with Fabio.

"Fine! I'll have dinner with you, but only because you pissed off your sister with your antics so she told me to humour you," I told him.

"I don't really care how you got to the answer I wanted. I just care that you did," he said happily.

I shook my head at him, unable to resist the contagious smile. I jumped into the conversation Fabio and Grace were having, and before I knew it, we were pulling up to the gates of a mansion. It's not as grand as Olivier's, but it was still something to look at.

"She's coming to Russo's house?" Olivier asked in confusion. I don't think he meant for anyone to hear.

"Is it not a safe place for her?" I panicked while she and Fabio got her stuff out of the trunk.

"It's not that. I'm just surprised, that's all. He's a good business partner of mine and he doesn't believe in anything the tabloids say about me, so she should be fine," he said, easing my thoughts.

"Well? Are you coming in?" I asked him.

He raised an eyebrow. "I thought this was your bit to do."

I returned a frown. "She's your daughter."

"She's as much your daughter as she is mine at this moment. Besides, I don't talk to people if it has nothing to do with my businesses, so maybe you should handle this," he replied.

There was something more to what he was saying, but I'd let it go for the sake of peace.

I left him in the car with my puppy as Fabio and I headed to the door with Grace. She was excited and you could just see it on her face and in her body language. We rang the doorbell before a beautiful woman opened the door.

"Hi! You must be Rose and Fabio, and you must be my little girl's new best friend Grace," she said warmly.

"Hi," Grace greeted shyly.

"I'm Phyllis Russo," she introduced.

"It's lovely to meet you Phyllis. I'm Rose Kidman and this is Fabio Gianni," I formerly introduced.

"Please, come in. The trio just arrived from school," she informed just as they came down the stairs.

"Grace!" Nina shouted before running to hug her.

Grace laughed, hugging her back. "Hey."

"I'm so glad you're here to save me from stupidity," Nina commented.

"We take strong offence to that," Tate and Nate said simultaneously.

It's hard to tell them apart because they are such carbon copies of each other.

"Then you're aware that I speak the truth! Come on Grace. Let's get you settled in," Nina said. They grabbed her bags before they all headed upstairs.

"I'll be in the car. It was lovely meeting you Mrs Russo," Fabio said before heading out.

"He doesn't speak much does he?" she asked me.

"It's not that. He's Grace's bodyguard, so he doesn't see the need to," I explained.

"And what about you? What are you to her?" she questioned.

"I'm her teacher and confidant of sorts," I replied.

She nodded in understanding. "Would you like something to drink?"

I was about to tell her that I wasn't really here to stay, until I thought about using this as payback.

"I would love some tea," I replied.

"Fantastic! I have some tiramisu cake that arrived yesterday and it is to die for. Let's head to the kitchen," she suggested.

I followed her to the state of the art kitchen and silently watched as she prepared the tea and set out the cake, as well some other snacks. You could tell that she's used to entertaining people like this.

"So Rose, what would you like to know? I was told you wanted to ask a couple of questions before Grace stays here," she said.

"I guess I just want to know that she won't be left in an environment that could potentially upset her. You know who her father is, and I need to know that she won't be treated differently because she's his child," I said seriously.

She cocked her head to the side. "We have no problem with Olivier, and neither will we chastise her because of him. From what I see, she'll get along just fine with the trio."

I smiled. "Then she can gladly stay."

"You said you're her teacher. I'm sensing way more than that," she commented.

"I met her and I was touched to find out that she goes through all that she goes through because of who her father is. I personally don't care about what he's done. She just shouldn't suffer for any of it. It's not right on her," I replied.

She raised an amused eyebrow. "And do you know what it is that her father has been accused of doing?"

"I know nothing about the man except that he can be very persistent about something he wants," I responded.

She laughed. "That much is true. Anyway, Grace will be safe and well taken care of, so you can rest peacefully Mama Bear."

She was teasing me.

"I just care greatly for her," I said with a blush.

"I can see that. She deserves to have someone like you in her corner. Now, her father is going to be a problem for you," she commented.

I frowned. "How did you know?"

"All you had to do was say that he was persistent. There was a change in your tone when you said it. What is he bothering you with?" she asked.

"Having dinner with him tonight," I replied.

"And you don't want to because you're afraid of what you already feel for him," she said knowingly.

"Is that wrong of me?" I asked.

"You're being careful. You can't be faulted for that much, but just humour him. It's very rare for him to open up to anyone," she responded.

I scowled at the realization. "You know him beyond the surface."

"It's the reason why he stayed in the car, but that's a story for another day. You should get going," she suggested.

I wouldn't push it. "Thanks for reassuring me about Grace."

"Oh, you're most welcome hun. I'll take good care of her," she said with a smile.

We headed to the lobby as once again the kids were coming down the stairs. "Are you leaving now?"

"Yeah! You're good to stay and I trust that you're in good hands," I told her.

She came to hug me. "Thank you for this. Please tell my dad I love him."

"I will. You must remember my words ok?" I said.

"I will. I love you Rose," she said softly.

"I love you too sweetheart," I said before kissing her forehead.

I left and headed back to the car, only to meet Olivier's scowl. "What took you so long?"

"Isn't this your day off? Why so impatient Mr Black?" I taunted.

He narrowed his eyes at me as the car took off. "You did this to get back at me."

"I don't know what you're talking about. I just had tea with Phyllis and did what you wanted me to do. Grace will be in a safe environment both for her physical and mental state," I informed innocently. His eyes just narrowed even further.

"Where to?" Fabio asked.

"The house."

"My apartment."

You can guess who said what.

"You agreed to have dinner with me," Olivier protested.

"And I will, but I need to go and freshen up. You can have Fabio fetch me tonight," I offered.

"And how do I know that you won't just hide from me?" he asked.

"Because we both know you'd find me," I said, deadpan.

He smirked at my words. "To Miss Kidman's apartment it is."

They drove me to my apartment and I was astounded when they left without any drama. I headed up to my apartment, ready to just be one with myself until I'd have to get ready for this stupid dinner.

I spent the next two frustrating hours trying to put together an outfit. I don't know why, but I was suddenly adamant on actually making an impression on him. I ended up settling on an outfit I wasn't too sure about, simply because I'd run out of time.

I had to use the remaining time to get ready.

Once I was dressed though, I felt all sorts of sexy, and I agreed with the outfit I'd chosen. It was a burgundy bodycon dress that moulded itself to me, with silver heels and matching earrings. Camila got me the dress a year ago on her trip to Paris, and I've never worn it.

She calls it The Catch, because she insists that it's the dress that will land me my husband.

I have no idea why I chose it for tonight, but I definitely loved seeing myself in it. I kept my hair down, curling it. I kept my make-up to a minimum, making a statement with my dark pink lipstick. I grabbed my stuff and put them in my silver clutch just as there was a knock at the door.

"Wow," Fabio commented.

"Is it too much?" I asked nervously.

"It's more than enough, but it's a bit chilly out, so you may want to grab a coat," he suggested.

"Thanks," I said before going to grab one.

I was nervous the whole way to the mansion, and simply because Phyllis was right. I was terrified of what I was feeling for Olivier, especially because I don't really know him. I have been accused of being too trusting before, and I didn't want to find myself in a situation that I would drown in.

But the bigger part of me was curious.

"Rose!" Fabio shouted.

I snapped out of thought. "Huh?"

"We're here," he said amusedly, holding the door open for me.

"Right!" I said before leaving the car.

"You look stunning, so don't worry about that. I know going in there probably terrifies you, but give him a chance. He might surprise you and you might surprise him too," he told me.

I hugged him. "Thanks Fabio."

"You're most welcome. Now go in there and just be Rose," he said before getting into the car and driving away.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

259K 6.9K 30
"It's been so long," I whispered. His jaw tightened. "Not long enough," he snapped back. My heart shattered as he stood up and left. And I realized...
9.6M 290K 74
Heather Drake is a 22 year old who is hiding from her past and trying to start a new life in California. She is going to be starting with a new caree...
2.3K 242 55
"So are we ever going to trust each other?" "Of course we will." He says while also leaning forward showcasing his smile and pearly whites. "So c...
625 33 6
Your Favorite Characters Are Back!! After all the drama that Kim has endured in her last year of high school she decided to leave with her son Royal...