MY PRETEND WIFE

By tita-faye

Richard was a self confessed playboy while Maine was your regular girl. In spite of their differences they ha... More

The Ultimatum
Dilemma
Daydreams
The Proposal
Decisions
Revelations
Yes
Meet the Parents
The Mother in Law
A Mother's Mischief
If The Shoe Fits
Kiss
Mixed Feelings
Sealed
The Wedding Night
Tuscan Honeymoon
Belle Coppie
Anima Gemella
Confession
Mother-Daughter Conspiracy
The Separation
Before Goodbye
Sleepless Night
Date in the Park
A Misunderstanding
Epiphany
Reunited
No More Barriers
Hearty Breakfast
A Promise
Consummation of Love
EPILOGUE: Ever After

Married Life

11.5K 644 25
By tita-faye

Maine's heart increased in speed as soon as she heard those words. Soulmate. Could Giuliana actually think that RJ was her soulmate? How could she even consider that when she only met them that day? Maine always believed in the idea of soulmates and in some ways, deep down, she believed that RJ was her soulmate. Having someone else, a stranger no less, confirm that to her caused a surge of hope rise up within her. Maybe it's not as hopeless as she thinks it is.

She took a deep breath before starting to speak. She was quite thankful for the darkness preventing RJ to see the expression on her face. "Oh, really?" Maine said as she tried to appear nonchalant about it. "That's interesting." Before RJ can reply Maine added "Well, thanks for telling me. That puts my curiosity to rest. Good night"

"Good night" She heard him whisper back. Maine wanted so much to see RJ's reaction about it. Based on the tone of his voice, she guessed he was surprised about it. He was never a believer of soulmates and it was a topic that they've always argued about.

On the other side of the bed, Richard lay still lost in thought as he contemplated on what Maine said earlier. He had to admit that he was quite surprised when Maine mentioned that word in Italian and he was even more surprised that it was Giuliana who mentioned it to her. Soulmates. That idea has never settled well with him. He was a cynic when it came to that. He and Maine would debate on that topic day in and day out but they would never reach a conclusion. She was an idealist and he was a cynic. They never met eye to eye.

Richard let out a soft sigh as he snuggled deeper into the comforter. He can feel Maine's even breathing beside him and sensed that she has already fallen asleep. He felt his body relax as he slowly drifted out of consciousness with dreams of his beautiful wife dancing in his mind.

The next morning Richard woke up and felt something warm and soft wrapped around him. He gazed down and felt his heart drop when he found Maine snuggled against him. Somehow, the pillow that separated them has been moved during the night and they've converged together in the middle of the bed. Maine's head was resting at the crook of his shoulders while her hand was placed against his chest. Richard on the other hand had his arms wrapped around her, his palms resting comfortably on her hips.

Richard didn't move as soon as he realized their position. He can hardly breathe. Maine's shirt had slipped down her shoulders revealing silky smooth skin and the hem of the shirt hiked up barely covering her behind. He felt something throb inside him. He was getting excited. He thought in alarm. If he doesn't get out now he was going to be a doomed man. Slowly and with utmost care Richard tried to disentangle himself from Maine. He felt her stir a little as he moved her head away but she did not wake up. He immediately stood up as soon as he was free. He immediately missed the heat of her body against his but it was something that he could not indulge in if he wanted to have his sanity intact. Richard gazed at Maine's sleeping figure for a moment before turning around to submit himself to a cold shower.

Richard and Maine were finally back in the country after spending three days in Italy. It was amazing how they have settled into married life quite easily. Richard has always thought that it would be a pain to adjust someone into your life but it's been easy doing it with Maine. They have developed a routine quite immediately and living together in one house has been a breeze. Most of the time they would live separate lives during the day with Richard being busy with the company and Maine with school. Occasional phone calls and text messages were their only connection to each other. However at night they made sure that both of them were home in time for dinner. In spite of having maids at her beck and call Maine preferred cooking dinner for the both of them and Richard had gotten used to having home cooked meals made by his wife. They enjoyed easy conversations at the dinner table letting each other know how their day went.

Richard's mother had finally transferred the entire responsibility on the company to Richard and not long enough he found himself swamped with work. He often came home stressed and tired but somehow Maine's encouraging words always made him feel better. During the times where in he had to spend time in his home office to study some documents, Maine left him alone to concentrate save for the few instances where she would bring him food or tea. She knew exactly when to give him space or when to be there for him.

Maine on the other hand carried on with her teaching position. She was glad that RJ allowed her to continue with her work. It was a given fact that she had no need for work anymore since he can easily support the both of them but Richard understood her passion with her work and knew that teaching made her happy. Maine carried on with her life like before except for a few subtle changes of course. She could say that she now wore better clothes as her mother in law would constantly send her new things almost everyday. RJ even had a walk in closet built for her in order to accommodate all the clothes, shoes and bags that she now own thanks to his mother. She now also traveled to and from school in a chauffer driven car.

RJ vehemently refused to allow her to take public transporation in spite of her protests. There were also days however, and these were the days she loved the most, where her husband himself drives for her. During weekends they would go on out of town trips usually to the beach since Maine loves being in one or spend the entire day watching movies at home while binging on popcorn and soda.

It was an easy relationship for the both of them and everything would have been perfect in their world save for the one difficulty that both of them always struggled with- waking up in each other's arms.

Afer they've gotten back they've carried on with their sleeping arrangement of sharing one bed. At first Richard thought it would be easier for them since he had a king sized bed at home. A king sized bed meant more space to move around and less likely to end up in each other's arms like what happened in Italy. But he found out that he was dead wrong. No matter how many pillows each of them placed in the middle of the bed to act as a barrier they would always, always end up together in the middle of the bed the very next morning. The dozen pillows would be pushed aside and they would wake up wrapped in each other's arms. This happened every single day since they've been together and Richard had to admit that it was wearing him down.

They still maintained their agreement of having the marriage only in papers although since their honeymoon they seemed to have an unspoken agreement that kissing was okay. Richard was happy that in spite of the limitations imposed by their agreement he was free to take her in his arms any time and kiss her senseless. He has schooled her in the art of French kissing and they've enjoyed many nights making out in the sofa. Richard never tried it on the bed though for fear that things may get too far and he wouldn't be able to stop himself. He savored the feel of her lips and her tongue and cherished the times wherein he made her groan in pleasure. When things start to get heated however Richard always musters enough self control in order to break away and cool things down. It has been very frustrating in his part and he already could not count the number of times he had to endure cold showers after their trysts. It was always a struggle but he would gladly take anything that she was willing to offer rather than none at all.

One Saturday night Richard went to their favorite lounge to catch up with his friends. The company turn over  has taken so much of his time that he was not able to see his friends for quite sometime.

"So, how's the married man?" Jerald teased as Richard entered the lounge. Richard headed straight to the sofa and plopped himself down as he rubbed his tired eyes.

"Just a bit tired, that's all." he replied as he gave his friend a small smile.

"How was the turn over?" Kris inquired. They knew that Madame Faulkerson was transferring the company to Richard's care right after his wedding.

"The turn over was successful. I'm now handling all the affairs of the company. It's a pretty tough job but I'm managing." he said.

"How's married life then?" Jake asked curiously as he looked up from the book he was reading.

"Pretty good" Richard admitted. "Maine and I are managing pretty well. Being married isn't that bad. You should try it too Jerald" He teased his friend.

Jerald held up both of his hands in surrender "Sorry bro, that's not my thing just yet. I'm still enjoying the bachelor life." He said with a smirk.

"Is your agreement with Maine still in effect?" Kris prodded.

Richard turned to his friend with a sad smile. "Yes it is." He said.

Three pairs of eyebrows shot up in surprise. Richard and Maine has been married for four months now. Their friend was able to last that long?

"Don't you want her?" Jerald asked curiously. He couldn't believe that his friend was able to deprive himself that long.

Richard rested his elbows on his knees and ran his fingers through his hair. "That's the thing, I want her. You just don't know how many cold showers I had to endure daily just to get by."

"Then why not give in? I'm sure Maine would eventually see that this is something that would happen inevitably. And besides there's nothing wrong, you are married after all." Kris reasoned out.

"I can see that there is something stopping you bro. What is it?" Jake asked perceptively. He knew that RJ has something that he was not telling them.

Richard sighed. "I don't know why I'm feeling this way." He finally confessed. "But it feels wrong to want her." His three best friends jaws dropped in surprise but allowed him to continue. "This is Maine we're talking about. I couldn't take her just because of lust. She's not that kind of woman. I'm not going to use her just to fulfill any sexual needs that I might be feeling."

The rest of the guys couldn't help but feel dismayed by Richard's confession. Apparently their friend is a lot more dense than they thought. After four months of being married he still hasn't realized that he's been in love with his wife all along.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 11.7K 33
There's a saying that goes, "opposites attract". Two different people sometimes compliment each other to make a relationship work, but in some cases...
213K 8.2K 52
It started as just a simple date... Only for seven months... To please someone they both love... They never meant to fall... But falling with each ot...
29.3K 1.8K 11
What if the guy next to you was someone your meant to be with? Maine is a free-spirited, happy-go-lucky girl who snagged a free upgrade to a business...
18.2K 777 29
INTRODUCTION Albert and Melanie had a "not-so-nice" start as friends. Melanie is the new "nerd" girl and Albert is the quiet boy but feared by most...