Selene's New Moon

By catinpajamas

An Academy/ Ghost Bird Fanfic. Inspired by the characters and story by C.L. Stone. This story contains chara... More

Chapter 1 : Life As I Know It
Chapter 2: Out of the Woods
Chapter 3: The Boys
Chapter 4: Three's a Crowd
Breaking Point
You Can Do What?!
Chapter 7: The Great Escape
Chapter 8: An Epic Adventure
Chapter 9: Dimples
Chapter 10: Leader of the Pack Brings Chinese
Chapter 11: Chalice
Hunters or the Hunted?
Haunted
Ch 14: Morning Pep Talk?
Chapter 15: Eggs and bacon and demons, oh my!
Chapter 16: I will protect you
Chapter 17: Only Human
Chapter 18: Road Trip
Chapter 19: Falling for You
Chapter 20: Detours and 20 Questions
Chapter 21: Tacos and Cavemen
Chapter 22: Mr Adams
Chapter 23: A Disembodied Voice and Rolling Heads
Chapter 24: A visitor?
Chapter 25: Some Serious Shit is Going Down....
Chapter 27: Caught Staring
Chapter 28: Yummy muffins a quiet bird make...
29: Blowing Chunks & Chicken Fajitas
: First Date
Nightmares
Searching for Answers
Well, Shoot!
Falling for you.... part 2?
It's Complicated
Here Come the Men in Black
Our Heart
Car Sick
The part where the bad guy talks, and talks...
interuption
Pots and Fire
The Plot Thickens... ( or: the author may need to make this a series)
Untitled Part 43
Normal
Next book

Chapter 26: Destination Unknown

3.1K 231 28
By catinpajamas

  True to Bram's word, Dwyer tossed and and turned all night with what I assumed to be visions.  I did manage to get a little sleep before Bram woke me at an ungodly hour.  The two of us found a nice little spot in the yard to sit  and Bram spent the whole morning tutoring me in gathering power.  We seemed to be at it for ever.  We focused on the gathering of different amounts of power-  starting with very small amounts,  and increasing the volume until I started to feel my insides burn.  The main focus was control.   What could I control?  How little? How much? By the end of the session I was covered in sweat, my insides felt bruised, and I was so hungry, I was pretty sure I could eat a whole cow. But now,  I didn't hesitate to reach for the energy flowing all around and I had learned that I could release it through my feet - meaning I no longer had to get down on all fours.  I also learned that I don't have to use the 'magic words' each time, as long as I released the energy with a sense of gratitude.   Bram stressed this a few times-  he didn't say why it was so important.  I suppose it is the polite thing to do though... 

  Once Bram was happy with the day's progress, he allowed me to stop and finally stretch out my achy body.   The guys must have been keeping an eye on us because Aiden came out shortly after to tell me to come in and eat.  I had then walked over to where Bram was scratching at the dirt.  He seemed very focused on his activity.  He had found a metal washer partly buried in the dirt.  I thanked him for the lesson, but he only responded with a distracted * yes, yes*  and then added that we would work again tomorrow.  He then informed me that he would be taking  'the shiny' and flew off with his prize.  It had made me smile.  

 When I finally made it back in the house, I was surprised to see that it was already 10.  Felix must have noticed my surprise because  he smiled at me and told me that Dwyer had needed some extra rest after the rough night. The smell of cooking food caught my attention at that point and soon we were all piled in the kitchen eating eggs, bacon, and hash browns.  I ate everything that was given to me.  Bram had warned me that I would need more food.  He wasn't kidding.  I probably ate twice as much as I usually did. 

  And that brings us to now.  We are all sitting in the living room.  I am on the couch with Aiden on my left and Kenji on my right, Felix, Owen, and Dwyer are on the floor, and  Mr. Adams is in his chair with some coffee. Now that my hunger is appeased,  I am noticing that Dwyer looks rather stressed.  I can't believe that I had forgotten about his vision!

 "Dwyer, you have the floor," Owen states as he motions elegantly with his hand.

  "Yeah, well the bird was right.  I did get a vision last night...."  Dwyer begins and then stops, rubbing his forehead.  He then mutters, "I don't know where to begin really..."  Everybody else sits patiently waiting for him to gather his thoughts,  but I can't help but fidget a  little with nervousness. 

  "I was in a room-  a war room maybe?-  not sure, but it was filled demons.  They all had pretty fancy clothes,  so not the usual kind we see.  They seemed to be arguing about something, but I couldn't hear anything.  Nothing at all. I could only see, and as usual the edges of everything are a little fuzzy.... Anyway, there was a table in the center of the room, and  I am pretty sure there were plans on the table.  Maps,  orders, that kind of thing.  The language is funky , so that is of no use, but I did see something on one of the maps marked 'academy'- which was in english.   More upsetting though, was that the area around it was familiar to me.  They know where head quarters are."

  "This doesn't make any sense," Kenji interjects.  "They always work alone, take what they want, leave a few corpses,  then leave or we find them and kill them.    We actively have to hunt them.  Why are they suddenly seeking us out, and now this?  They are organizing an attack?!"  

  Felix says,  "I could understand a few coming after us.  After all, a chalice is a tasty meal and all,  but this....  this is crazy."

  "Oh, it gets better, " Dwyer continues sarcastically.  "There is a BOLO out on Selene.  They are actively searching for her in particular. "  

  I tense and gasp.  Aiden growls,  and Kenji pulls me into his lap,  his grip unrelenting.   Felix is no longer sitting, but is now pacing.  I look over at Owen.  His hands are in fists , but he still commands,  "Calm down gentlemen." 

   "What do ya think they be needing her for?" Mr Adams askes and then takes a sip of his coffee. 

  Felix stops his pacing to glare at the man.  "What do you thing they want her for?!  She's a magical endless energy slurpee!"

   Mr Adam's glares back at him, "Don't talk to me like that boy! And use your brain, you idiot!  If that was all they wanted, they wouldn't be working together like this.  It ain't like they're going to share her-  they're too greedy."

  "He's right Felix.  They have a particular purpose in mind.  We need more information. We need to know their end goal,"  Owen states matter of factly.   "We will need to warn The Academy , and we will need to arrange for more protection for Miss Selene."

 Dwyer clears his throat.  "See,  it gets more complicated, actually..."  The guys all focus their attention back on Dwyer.  I am trying to pay attention, but I am just too anxious to focus completely.  Kenji's grip on me tightens even more.  He might even leave a bruise or too, but I don't care.  His firm grip is the only thing anchoring me at the moment. 

 Dwyer continues, "The vision was more or less the normal kind of thing...  It's what happened after that , that has me kind of freaked.  Things got ......  weird.  I was pulled out of the vision and into, well, ... nothing."    I can see the shiver that runs through his body at the memory.   "There was a voice, but not a voice.   That doesn't make sense, I know,  but I don't know how else to say it. It told me to keep Selene a secret. It then followed up with 'the Academy can't be trusted' and 'keep her safe'."  

   "What do you mean The Academy can't be trusted!  And who the fuck is telling you this anyway!?"  Aiden yells as he jumps up from the couch.  I shrink closer into Kenji and bury my face into his chest. 

  I hear Dwyer sigh heavily,  " Dude, I don't know who it is in my head.  I just know that I don't want to ever experience that again.  It was terrifying man.  I am also not going to take this lightly.  I don't know how I know this,  but I know that if I don't listen, bad things are going to happen.   I am not taking that chance." 

  A tense silence fills the room.   I feel Dywer approach Kenji and me.  Kenji releases me and Dwyer pulls me off of Kenji's lap and into his arms.  The sudden movements has me falling into his embrace and my hands clutch at his arms that are now wrapped around me like a vice. 

  " I will take her and we will disappear if needed," he says harshly to the room.  We are both trembling.  Dwyer is scared. I can feel it in his body, hear it in his voice.  The tension in the room at this moment is enough to almost make me puke.  

  " I didn't mean...  Fuck!  I believe you man!  I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't -  just..  Fuck!  The Academy's been compromised?!    Don't take her  ok...   just... shit!"  I have never heard Aiden sound so desperate.  It was something I never wanted to hear again. 

    "Dwyer, there will be no need for that.  We work for The Academy, but we are a family first.  We are in this together."  The relief Owen's words give me is unreal. I can feel Dwyer relax slightly as well.   I would never forgive myself if I was the reason they fought.  They have all become so important to me in such a short period of time. 

  "For now gentlemen,  we assume that head quarters has been compromised.  Mr. Adams, I hope we can count on you to keep Miss Selene a secret?" 

  "Of course Owen!  I don't want any of you to get hurt.  Besides, I am retired, " Mr. Adams grunts.  "In fact, as soon as you all leave-  which I hope is soon, no offense and all-  I am going on vacation.  To an undisclosed location, far away from all of you, and that loud bird.  I'm too old for this shit."   He mumbles that last bit more to himself. 

  " I am sorry for all the trouble Mr. Adams, " I say quietly. 

  " Nonsense!  Not your fault angel.  Been needing to get a way for a while anyway," he says, giving me a wink before walking out of the room.  

  As soon as he is gone, Owen starts giving out orders.  " Kenji, contact HQ and let them know that we have reason to believe they may be a target and to act accordingly.   Of course, make no mention of Miss Selene , and tell them we are following a lead of our own. Leave it at that. "  Kenji nods as he stands.  "The rest of you, get us ready to leave.  I want to be on our way in about 20 minutes. "  

  "Where are we going now?" I ask timidly. 

  I watch as his millimeter smile makes an appearance. Instead of answering,  he asks me a question.  

  "Where do you want to vacation at Miss Selene?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

186K 10.7K 39
Tori is already cracked and broken after barely managing to escape her abusive fiancé. She's trying to heal both physically and mentally. She doesn't...
5.2K 315 10
It started out with an unjustified hatred for her by those around her. She had been nothing but an innocent pulled into this world of evil. Because...
18.7K 1.3K 15
**An Academy fan fiction based on C.L. Stone's Ghost Bird and Scarab Beetle series. On the run from a group dead set on the destruction of magic, the...
161K 9.1K 22
Your prospects are limited when you don't exist, but Sang Sorenson has been getting by as a cashier in a grocery store after dropping out of high sch...