Harry Potter and the Children...

By Swissdog

This is the third installment , sequel to Harry's Future and Professor Potter, putting more emphasis on the a... More

Harry Potter and the Children of the Clan
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 24

3.4K 75 15
By Swissdog

Chapter 24

"How are you holding up, Harry? You look like you could use some serious sleep," Anthony said as he sat opposite of Harry in the library at Meadow Crest.

"He's right, Harry," Abagail agreed.

"Yes, yes, I know, it's been a tough week, but don't worry. The lady of the manor, in league with all her minions, is forcing me to get my head down for a kip as soon as we wrap things up here. I had hoped it wouldn't be as difficult as this but I've had to spend a lot more time searching the flows than I thought I would."

"What's the problem been, Harry?" Abagail asked.

"Well, if I hold contact with the pillar, I can trace along the flows, and occasionally I can find a juncture, but it's extremely difficult to get a feel for where the juncture is. To be honest, I'm not even sure what direction I'm 'going' as I trace the lines. That's the biggest reason I look like this. I've been back in the castle before midnight each night I've tried this, but then I'm awake for hours trying to figure out how to make it work."

"Harry, why haven't you asked me to help? Maybe I can pick up on the direction part of it," Abagail said.

"Little one, you didn't look much better than I do now when you got home from the continent. You need time to rest before Anthony drags you back there to continue your search," Harry said.

Anthony had the good grace not to voice any objections to Harry's use of the word 'drags'.

"Speaking of which, when are you planning on going back?" Harry asked his friend.

"Sometime next week, Harry. Although I wasn't planning on taking Abagail anywhere for a while yet. We've had the locals following our friends around for a while now, so I need to find out what's been going on before I plan out our next moves. If there's any member of your family that I need to borrow at this point, it's Ron for some strategy assistance. I'll be stopping by his house on the way home."

"See, Harry, I'm all yours," Abagail said, flashing him her best impish grin.

"Yes, well, let's wait until tomorrow before we discuss anything," Harry replied while trying to suppress a yawn, without much success. "I'll need my full wits about me while you try to use your wiles on me."

"Wiles?" she asked in shocked tones. "That's it, Mister Potter. When you start talking like that, it can only mean it's past your bedtime. Up you come," she said as she stood up.

Anthony could only smile as he took the not so subtle hint that it was time for him to go. As he made his was to the front door he called back to Harry,

"I'll be sure to talk to you before I leave next week, Harry. I'll want to coordinate some things with you but you need some sleep first."

"I'll be available, Anthony. Thanks."

While Harry was being tucked away for the afternoon, his eldest son was being quite active. Taking advantage of a hotly anticipated Quidditch cup match between Slytherin and Ravenclaw, James was engaged in some indoor 'exploring' with Cecil. At the moment they were crouched in a deeply shadowed corner on a staircase landing leading down to the dungeon level in the castle.

"You're sure of this, mate?" Cecil asked.

"As sure as I can be without actually seeing the room itself," James replied. "Every other night for the last week, Ted and a number of others have been coming down here and gathering in the same room. The last one on the left, down that corridor," he finished, pointing to the dark entrance to a corridor at the bottom of the staircase.

"Alright, mate, so if'n they're meeting at night, why are we down here on a Saturday afternoon?"

"Because I need to check to make sure the room is where the map says it is. And I need to do it while Ted and the others are busy at the stadium. Come on," James said as he checked the map as they moved down the last set of steps.

The two boys moved down the stairs and crept silently along the left hand wall. They passed several heavy doors of wood and iron. Each had multiple locks and from the size of the key holes, unless only one master key was used, the key ring must put a major strain on Stan Shunpike's belt. James noted the doors in passing as something to be investigated at another time, but for now he was just interested in the last door. It looked no different than the others, any detail difficult to make out in the gloom of the corridor.

"I don't think we'll be able to get through that, mate," Cecil said as he ran his hand over the iron plate of the locks. "I've been known to jimmy a lock or two in my time, but nothing like this."

"That's okay, Cecil. I'm not interested in getting inside, at least not yet," James said, as he turned and looked at the wall opposite the door. "This is what I want to see."

In the corners at the end of the corridor were shallow alcoves. The boys moved down to take a closer look. The gloom was so deep they had to light their wands. They could see that shallow grooves had been gouged into the stone floor at some time in the past, perhaps from statues or some sort of heavy furnishings that had been tucked into the spaces. Cecil could see James nod his head as they examined the spaces.

"So, what's the caper, mate?"

"This is the room that Ted and his crew are using for their secret meetings or whatever. But someone has been hanging around outside, spying I'd guess."

"Someone? Doesn't the map tell you who it is? Why not just tell Lupin or your dad?" Cecil asked as his eyes wandered around the dark, dank corridor.

"First, I don't know for sure that the map is always right, so I don't want to take the chance on fingering the wrong guy. Second, if we can catch him in the act, I can convince Ted to let me in on what's going on. And third, this'll be a lot more fun. I've been getting pretty bored, myself," James finished with a grin.

Cecil had to grin himself and he clapped James on the shoulder.

"Well, I'm in. When's the next meeting?"

"It should be Monday night. Now we need to get up to the library. We have a little research to do."

While Cecil wasn't the most conscientious of students, he was more than willing to put in the hours for what he considered preparation for a caper. It had been true in the old neighborhood, and now he was getting his first chance at the school. He and James were there fairly late, taking only a break for dinner. As a result, James had to put time in on Sunday evening completing a potions assignment due the next day. He was sitting in one of the big chairs near the fire in the common room, putting the finishing touches to his parchment as he memorized the last of the ingredients. He became aware at some point that someone had sat down in the chair next to him. Looking over he saw a large pair of expressive dark eyes above a bright, wide smile.

"Hiya, James."

"Hello, Kai," he replied with a small smile of his own.

"We haven't seen much of you this weekend. You missed a really great Quidditch match. Ravenclaw really outflew those sneaks from Slytherin," she told him.

"Yeah, I heard about it last night. I had some things to work on," he replied.

"Yes, I can just imagine that you did," she countered with a knowing look.

James simply looked back, his eyebrows raised slightly.

"Oh, don't look at me like that. You needn't worry. I'm not your cousin. If you don't want to talk about it I'm not going to try and pry it out of you," she said, and then added, "You know, when Vee first told us about your dad and all the things he had to deal with when he was a student, we couldn't figure out how he managed to get his regular school work done."

"Come on, Kai, it wasn't like he was always facing off with Voldemort or his followers. Sometimes it was months between things happening. And of course he had Aunt Hermione to help keep him focused."

Kai shook her head and said,

"You know, it's really amazing to hear you talk like that. It's the same with Vee. So many amazing and famous people that you refer to as aunts and uncles, not to mention mum and dad. It must be what it's like to be part of a noble or royal family."

James couldn't help but laugh a little at that last remark. When he saw that Kai was getting ready to object to his reaction he reached a hand over and gripped her forearm in a conciliatory gesture.

"I'm sorry, Kai, I'm not laughing at you. I was just thinking what kind of reaction you'd get from Da if you said that. It's true that the Potter and Weasley families go back a long way and there's that whole pure blood business, but with the way Da grew up, that's the last sort of thing he thinks about. But I know what you mean. There's a lot of pretty amazing people that are part of the family, in one way or another, with Da right at the top of the list. I used to worry about that."

"What do you mean?" Kai asked, genuinely interested in having James talk to her about this kind of thing.

"I was worried about what I was going to be able to do to make my Da proud of me. I thought I'd have to do things he did, only bigger and better. But you know what he told me?"

She shook her head.

"He said he didn't care about any of that. He was only interested in me being happy doing something that I really wanted to do. That sure took the pressure off," James finished.

"I can imagine. My parents are kind of confused about the whole thing. It's so different from what they grew up with. They just keep telling me that I have to do my best in my studies and don't spend all my time flying. I don't think they'd like the idea of me being a professional Quidditch player."

"Really? Geez, sounds like they need to talk to my mum and Aunt El. I know my mum thinks you could have a great career," James said.

"She has told me that," Kai said, nodding, "but my folks know so little about it, they wouldn't really know what your mum and aunt were talking about."

"But your schoolwork is good, isn't it?" James asked.

"Oh, sure, we all do well. We help each other out."

"Good, I'll know who to come to if I run into any problems," James said with a grin.

"I'm pretty sure you're teasing me, but I'll be glad to help you if you need it. Any of us would."

"Thanks, Kai, I appreciate that, but I have my doubts about Felicity," he said with a straight face.

James had to admit her laughter sounded a bit like bells ringing. The following evening however would be no laughing matter for James and Cecil. As soon as classes ended for the day, they had begun their preparations for the work ahead of them. Concealment was a necessity and James was going to employ a combination of techniques that Ronin had taught him as well as some magical assistance. Contrary to what one might think, deep black was not the color to choose when trying to blend into a dim background. Based on what he saw on Saturday afternoon, he had pulled out his favorite attire from his trips to the forest, dark brown pants and a green shirt.

He and Cecil sat in the Great Hall working on some homework as they quietly went over their plan for the evening. Cecil was dressed in various shades of gray; clothes he told James had been useful now and again in the past. Dinner passed without incident, although James was sure that he was being observed and when he took a brief glance down the table he saw Kai looking back at him with a very knowing expression.

After dinner, James and Cecil retired to their quiet corner in the library, the map opened in between them. It didn't take long for James to notice the movement of familiar names from various points in the castle, all heading in the same general direction. One thing that he had observed over the past week or so was that different individuals varied their routes which would have made anyone observing them up close uncertain of their destination but with the aid of the map it had quickly become obvious that a number of Hogwarts students had the same destination in mind. And, someone else was watching them.

When James judged the time was right he nodded to Cecil and they stashed their bags under the table, folded up the map which James secured inside his shirt. They stood up and slowly walked towards the shelves where the more arcane and least used books were kept. Once they were sure they were unobserved, they took off their robes and quickly worked Disillusion spells on each other. Their robes were quickly stashed behind some large old books and they walked quietly from the library, drawing not a single glance.

According to their plan, they took separate routes to the landing at the top of the last staircase. James stood quietly until he heard Cecil whisper to him. He returned the whispered word and they moved down either side of the staircase, James to the left, Cecil to the right. As James passed the last door on his side of the corridor he paused to try and hear what might be happening on the other side, but no sound was forthcoming. He assumed the door was magically sealed.

When he was settled into the dark alcove at the end of the corridor on his side he whispered,

"Okay, do it."

From the right side, half way back towards the stairs, grayish powder seemed to appear from nowhere to coat the stone floor. James assumed that his quarry would be smart enough to use some form of concealment, so he came prepared. The dusting worked its way towards the end of the corridor, ending just past the last door on the left. In a moment a hissed voice from the dark alcove on the other side said,

"Ready, mate."

"Alright," James hissed back.

And so they waited. James had no idea what experience Cecil had with this sort of thing, but on more than one occasion, Ronin had him hunkered down behind a rock or tree root watching a trail or clearing for some kind of forest denizen to appear. He wasn't sure but it felt as if half an hour had passed when a small puff of 'dust' rose up from the floor. This was followed by another, and then another. James had his wand held just above the floor. The last puff appeared near the wall just before the door. James thought he heard a faint clinking sound. He counted to five and then tapped the floor with the wand. From the other side of the corridor he heard,

"Homenum revelio."

In the gloom of the corridor, a rather surprised Rutherford appeared, his ear pressed to a large glass which was pressed against the stone wall. James already had his wand pointed down the corridor and in an instant pointed at the Slytherin wizard and said,

"Petrificus Totalus!"

The older boy seized up and went over backward, the glass still clutched in his hand. A few footsteps appeared in the dust and a cloth appeared across Rutherford's eyes. Then Cecil appeared, a grin splitting his face. James dropped his own concealment spell and walked up to the door and hammered on it. When he got no answer he put his mouth near a keyhole and called,

"Ted!"

Still nothing. He looked at his partner in crime and Cecil shrugged a bit.

"Now what, mate?" the boy asked.

"I suppose we could leave him here for them to find when they come out. But I sort of wanted to be the one to make the delivery, if you know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do. You want to show them upper classmen that you can do the job, right?"

Before James could answer they heard a soft voice from the landing.

"Maybe I could help?"

Both boys turned to see the diminutive form of Kai Chao descending the stairs, her wand out and held low. Her expression, as she fixed her attention on James, clearly said 'I knew you were up to something'. She smiled at him briefly as she walked up to the door and tapped each of the locks lightly, muttered a word and then knocked smartly on the ancient wood with her knuckles. The boys could hear a low voice from the other side and then Kai give her name and another series of low words. After an answering murmur ceased she stepped back and the door slowly swung in and Ted Lupin's face appeared in the narrow opening.

"What the bloody hell is going on out here?" he demanded.

"It would appear that your cover has been blown, Ted," Kai said, "and so has that of the spy."

With the last comment she gestured with her head to the scene to the side of the door. Ted stuck his head out further and he could see the rigid figure of Rutherford lying on the floor, his eyes covered with the cloth. He could also see the two first years regarding him warily.

"Damn," he said, before ducking back inside the room.

Quickly, two large wizards that James recognized as Ravenclaw beaters emerged and one flicked his wand and Rutherford floated off the floor, the other cast a concealment spell on his housemate and the floating Rutherford and proceeded to lead the way down the corridor and up the stairs. Ted reemerged, pulling the door closed behind him. He fixed his 'cousin' with a stern glare and with arms folded across his chest demanded,

"Just what do you think you're doing, James?"

"I was watching your back, Ted. Something, it appears, that you didn't bother to do," he replied calmly.

Someone choked back a snicker. Ted's expression got stony.

"We've been round and round on this before, James. Whatever it is you think we're doing, you don't have the experience or know how to be a part of it."

"So you've told me, Ted. But it looks like I have the know how to figure out where you and your cronies have been hiding out. And to figure out you were being spied on. As to experience, when was the last time you had to face one hostile witch or wizard, let alone five?" James asked in disgust.

Ted visibly bristled at James' implication. He took a step towards the younger boy and used his greater height to advantage by leaning over and putting a finger in James' face.

"Listen to me, little man. I don't give a brass knut about what you know or how many witches or wizards you stumbled into. I am not going to be the one to put the crown prince into a situation that gets him killed. So forget you found this room and get out of the dungeons," Ted finished and then turned and pushed his way through the door, slamming it closed behind him.

The three youngsters stood staring at the door dumbfounded until James was the one to find his voice first.

"What did he mean by that? Who's the bloody crown prince?"

"He meant you James, at least I think so," Kai said, as she took a step closer. "I've heard that said before."

James expression went from annoyed to outraged to stony. With a last look at the door he stepped past the little witch and hurried down the corridor.

"James?" she called after him but he didn't slow down.

Cecil gave her a brief grin and hurried after James. Kai stood looking at the empty staircase, then back over her shoulder at the now forbidding door. She let out a long sigh and with slightly slumped shoulders walked slowly toward the staircase and out of the dungeon.

The father of the 'prince' was having his own issues that night. He was sitting in his comfortable chair in the library but he was anything but comfortable. He had just finished reading a message that had arrived from Anthony Goldstein. It detailed the search for someone, anyone, at the top of the command ladder that could provide the location of the valley with the cave mouth at the end. It also contained the disturbing news that a small village similar to Hogsmeade in the Tyrolean mountains had been attacked. Fortunately there were no fatalities but a number of structures had been damaged before the villagers drove the attackers off. Harry sat back and closed his eyes for a moment.

"Dragon?"

"Wizard."

"Do you think it's possible that our search through the flows may have prompted our adversaries to make this attack on that village?"

"It is possible, Wizard. Although one would think that if you were seen as the threat that the attack should have been closer to you, either here or the school. However, past experience has shown the difficulties of attempting such," the dragon replied.

"I suppose so," Harry 'said'. "Then again, it may have just been an act of desperation on the part of their confederates. Who knows?"

The last was said with obvious impatience.

"I will say this, Dragon; I'm starting to get a little tired of this whole business."

He thought he heard the sound of a deep gravelly chuckle.

"Wizard, did it not take seven years for you to conclude the business of the snake wizard? Did it not take several more years for you and the others to eliminate the final vestiges of his schemes?"

"Yes, it did, and I was not in control of much of what went on in those days. I had no choice but to move as others dictated. That is not necessarily the case here," Harry replied.

"That is true," the Dragon conceded. "However, you yourself were the one to point out the potential consequences of such a solution. Do you think differently now?"

"Actually, I was thinking of perhaps a different approach. Under the best of circumstances it could resolve the issue completely. At the least it should buy us some time so that Anthony and his friends can find their elusive quarry."

"You do not speak of risks. Are there none?" the dragon asked.

"Oh, I suppose it could all go horribly wrong, but based on what I saw and felt in that chamber or whatever it was, I'm thinking not. But you will be there if it should fall apart," Harry replied.

"To what end?"

"To destroy everything with dragon fire."

Harry and the dragon spent the next half hour discussing his new idea. By the time they finished Harry wasn't happy with what he had in mind but he was committed to it. He needed to send several messages in preparation so he wrote them out at Ginny's desk and walked them up to the owlry. The following afternoon, as a result of one of the messages, he was standing at the beginning of the trail leading into the Dark Forest. Ronin and Bane stood before him, their expressions fixed in that dour sternness.

"What you propose, Friend Harry Potter, makes a certain sense, and it speaks well of your concern for the welfare of the herd, but still we like it not. To move the entire herd out of the forest will not sit well with many."

"I understand that, my friends, but based on what has occurred in the past, there is a great potential for danger. I think it was only the sheerest luck that no one was hurt the last time. If need be, I will address the entire herd at the circle to explain my reasons," Harry replied.

"We will put it to the Elder and if he feels it requires additional discussion we will inform you. When do you propose to do this thing?" Ronin asked.

"This Saturday, at first light."

"We will meet you here, Serpent King," Bane rumbled.

Harry nodded and concluded the discussion with clasped forearms. He was in for a tougher discussion when he got home that evening.

"You're going to what?" Ginny demanded, her voice rising.

"I'm going to go back and see if I can convince those creatures it's time to give it all up."

"For Merlin's sake, Harry. It was bad enough when you were just going to spy on them, now you want to confront them? A full dozen of these things that you admit you have no idea what they are capable of?"

"Please, Ginny. Just hold off for a moment and listen to what I have in mind. Please?" he asked.

Ginny folded her arms across her chest, fixed Harry with a glare that would have done Molly proud and said,

"Go on."

Harry explained his idea to his very skeptical wife. As he ticked off point after point, her expression changed not one bit. The only reaction he got was one finger tapping out an impatient tattoo on her arm. When he was done he looked at her expectantly but all he got in return was a tightening on her lips. Then she finally said,

"Someone might say that your idea is just crazy enough that it might work. I'm just going to say that it's crazy."

Then she dropped her arms, moved forward until she was a footstep away and poked him in the chest with a finger.

"But I will say this, as well. I'm going to have a little chat with your mum. If this all falls apart and you don't come back, I'm going to make sure that she makes your time in the afterlife ever bit as miserable as it will be for us having to carry on without you."

She emphasized the last with another hard poke and then without another word, she turned and left the library. Harry stood there in silence, rubbing his chest as he considered her words. It was the closest he was going to get to acceptance so he just let it lie. So, early but not yet bright that Saturday morning, he left the house without any fanfare, just a parting kiss and a warning he better come home. When he got to the beginning of the trail by Hagrid's hut he had a few surprises waiting for him.

As promised, Bane and Ronin were there. But so was Abagail. And strung out along the edge of the forest was a sizeable portion of the herd. He looked to his two friends, obviously looking for an explanation.

"We sought to balance your concerns for the safety of the herd with our aversion to being out in the open, Serpent King," Ronin began.  

"Should it appear that your efforts will likely flatten the forest we can all dash to safety in the open, here and at other locations around the perimeter. A few of the very oldest have already been moved to places of safety."

Harry nodded as he said,

"I'm glad to hear that. One less worry to distract me. And you, little one?" he directed the last to Abagail.

"Who else can keep an eye on you while you're down there, Harry?" she replied seriously.

"So you'll be down there all by yourself?"

"Not at all, Friend Harry Potter," Ronin interjected. "Bane and I will also be in the cavern while you do what you must."

"You know this could get messy," Harry said.

"We understand the risks, Serpent King," Bane replied. "But they are no greater than yours and there are places of haven below, much as I like them not."

Harry just nodded. He wasn't going to argue the matter, first because he didn't want to waste the time trying to budge two very stubborn persons and second, he wasn't sure what shape he'd be in afterward and he might need help getting out of the forest. He shrugged a bit and they began the trek down the trail. Harry sought the feel of the dragon in that corner of his mind, making sure he was there.

"Where else would I be, Wizard?"

"I fear that one day you will come to your senses and leave us humans to our follies."

Harry felt more than 'heard' the snort and then the dragon replied,

"Of what interest would life have were I to do that?"

Based on that comment Harry supposed that the dragon wouldn't think very highly of his idea of becoming a hermit in a cave somewhere. They encountered the usual two sentries as they neared the rock covered entry to the cavern. With a wave off from Ronin they departed for the nearest edge of the forest. Both Centaurs followed behind Harry and Abagail as they moved across the bridge and through the stone door that led to the spiral staircase down. Lumos spells lit the way for the short walk around the structure and to the opening to the room with the pillar.

"Okay, here we go. I have no idea how long this is going to take. But I don't suggest you get too comfortable. In fact, you may want to settle into one of the rooms near either end, just in case," Harry advised.

"Fear not, Friend Harry Potter, we shall remain vigilant," Ronin replied.

Abagail gave him a hug and told him to have a care. With that he walked out to the middle of the floor, took the usual face down position and in two heartbeats the great green dragon was there. The great head turned to look at the three smaller beings standing by its tail and gave a brief motion suggesting they move. Once they were clear the tail slid in to the pillar room and with a scrabble of clawed feet contact was made with the pillar.

"Well, Dragon, are we ready?"

"One supposes so, Wizard, but as the small witch said, have a care. I would prefer not to return alone."

"I'll do my best, Dragon. But remember if it goes bad, let them have it with everything you've got," Harry replied.

"I understand but I do intend to wait until there is no other alternative."

"I appreciate that but if it comes to it, by that time I probably won't be a factor," Harry suggested bluntly.

When no further response came, Harry manipulated the lines of force and his consciousness raced back into the flows, followed swiftly by the dragon. Behind the dragon's bulk Abagail was quietly watching. When she felt the sudden absence of Harry she said,

"There they go."

She then proceeded to climb over the great tail and enter the pillar room. As she was placing her hands on the warm stone Ronin looked in and said,

"Go easy, Small Warrior. Should you require our assistance, it could prove difficult for us to enter."

"I'll take it easy, Ronin. I just want to be able to follow along a bit, to make sure he's alright."

With that she touched her forehead to the pillar and with just a bit of effort she was able to identify the presence of both Harry and the dragon. And she wasn't the only one that was aware of something in the flows. In a dim chamber, seated about a round table, twelve robed figures became rather tense.

"Do you feel it?" one asked of the others.

"The hunter has returned, it seems," offered the one that said little.

"One thinks it would be better if we did not assign such a reference to one of these beings. What possible harm could it cause?" asked another.

"An excellent question," the first replied. "We were well acquainted with the abilities of their ancestors but long have we been without contact. The tools we have used do not seem much advanced but the one who leads seems different."

As the creatures discussed this, the subject of their musings was rapidly closing in. Having deduced the image the last time it was easy enough to recall it and follow the flows until Harry and the dragon were once again viewing the chamber as if through a hazy veil. Harry had been giving this moment a great deal of thought. He considered the impressions he had gotten the first few times he had encountered these beings in the images from the flows. He considered the arrogance and the overwhelming disdain for any other being, intelligent or not.

He had also considered the isolation and the apparent lack of understanding of what he or other modern wizards were capable of. He had also given a great deal of thought to his games of wizards chess with Ron. He was about to try a very risky gambit. Since so much of what seemed to go on in this realm had to do with imagery he was going to try and build an image for himself that would outdo these creatures and beat them at their own game. He hoped.

The first part was to call up very vivid memories of Lucius Malfoy and Professor Snape. Keeping Malfoy in character was easy but he had to work harder with Snape since his intimate knowledge of what the late professor had gone through tended to soften Harry's perceptions of him. He focused on the sense of superiority both had, one by social station, the other via magical ability. He wrapped that in their sneering disdain for just about anyone else, especially students who didn't hold either in great esteem. He made sure he included those images of how Malfoy would treat someone like Dobby and Snape would a student who wasn't a Slytherin. He worked in some of the interactions that he had with the images of the old ones as they stood around the pillar. He then took this core of overwhelming hubris and added a layer of the towering sense of self that was the dragon. He would have to apologize to the great beast later but for now he used it as a shield of unbreachable armor.

He had one more ace that he was going to keep up his sleeve for the time being so he took the image that he had formed and wrapped it around himself. As he settled himself into the image he could feel it color his thinking. He was filled with a vast sense of impatience, akin to but much more pronounced then how he felt as the dragon when he first made the change. If he managed to get out of this alive he was going to have to have a long talk with his dad. He had to think his father would find it all immensely amusing.

"Wizard."

"Yes," Harry replied, trying to hold his sense of irritation in check.

"A most interesting facade you have created. I would suggest you try to keep it at some distance from yourself. You may find it affecting your judgment."

Harry snorted a bit but on second thought he tried to push the image out away from himself a bit. He immediately felt the impatience wane and a more reasoned attitude take its place.

"Thank you, Dragon. We don't want any mistakes here."

"Indeed."

Harry did the mental equivalent of a shrug, as if to settle a new coat more comfortably about his shoulders and then he moved forward until he breached the boundary of the 'wall' that was in front of him. Based on his recollection of the ring of old ones that he had seen around the pillar, he had judged that they were generally about his size, but as he found himself standing in their presence the seemed somehow diminished.

Because of its shape and the uniformity of appearance of the old ones spaced evenly around it, there was no head of the table to address, so Harry did as he often did in class and that was to begin walking. Those that could, looked at him, their cowled heads turning as he walked around the table. He had no way of gauging their reaction since he could not see faces but he found it interesting that no one had spoken yet. He figured he might as well start.

"Well, well, well. So this is our merry little band of tricksters, is it?" he sneered in fair imitation of Professor Snape. "You're really not much to look at, considering all the trouble you've managed to cause."

His words seem to have broken the spell and one of the old ones blurted out,

"How could you have found your way here?"

"Don't you know?" Harry laughed disdainfully. "Isn't this place of your making? Aren't you the ones that have been making use of the flows for all these eons? Have you learned nothing of their uses?"

"Of course we know how the flows work. The question is how did you know how to use them. You're an offspring of those sons of monkeys that infested the plains."

Harry had to smile inwardly at this since it confirmed once and for all the connection with what he had experienced those years before.

"The answer is simple, my ancient friends. Those sons of monkeys you referred to grew and multiplied and learned. And in that growing and learning, we have become far more than you apparently thought possible. We have become that which no longer needs nor will tolerate you and your interference. So I came here to offer you a choice."

"You? You will not tolerate?" one of the twelve fumed in outrage. "You will offer us a choice?"

"Precisely. You have the choice to remain here as you are, to slowly fade away. Or you can continue to try and influence and interfere with the affairs of my world and I will see to it your end is swift and eventful," throwing their arrogance back at them.

As he said this, Harry negligently raised his hand and with a brief flick, a small bolt of dragon fire shot from his finger to strike the center of the table, producing a small, sharp detonation and bright flare. All twelve of the old ones noticeably flinched and pushed back into their high backed chairs. In the cavern, the greenish walls flared slightly and a slight tone sounded. Above ground, a small ripple seemed to race through the ground beneath the feet of the Centaurs, causing some to start but all to look about them.

"A tiny demonstration, my ancient friends. I have no idea what you might think our capabilities are, considering who you've been dealing with, but I can assure you, that is just a tiny fraction of what will be brought to bear if you make the wrong choice."

"What would you have us do then? Sit here and wait for oblivion to find us? We, who had ruled the surface world for ages uncounted?"

Harry shrugged as he continued his walking around the table.

"What do I care about how or when oblivion finds you, as you put it?" Harry replied indifferently. "Or what past glories you may or may not have had. Nearly all the species that have existed from the very beginning of time have disappeared. Why should you be any different? And why should I care? My concerns are for me and mine, and you've made the mistake of threatening us both. I probably should have obliterated you the first time I saw you, but I have had warnings about such, how shall I say it, impetuousness. So I am here to offer you the choice. How you choose to go about it is of no concern to me, but you will end your pathetic antics as of right now."

"You dare to give us ultimatums, here? With twelve of us to face but one of you?" cried one of the twelve.

"I dare because I know I have nothing to fear. I dare because I know that you can barely muster the power to keep this place intact and yourselves alive. All around you flows the power of the world itself and yet you sit here, immobile and powerless, able only to wreak your havoc through the malign and misguided of my kind. Were I to pull back one of those hoods, what would I find? Perhaps nothing or perhaps the last vestiges of creatures on the verge of utter dissolution. Can one or all of you together summon the power to do this?"

Harry once more summoned energy from the flow and formed it into a ball of dragon fire, and then with a careless flick he lofted it into the center of the table where it flared and detonated like a small thunderclap. This time the twelve were visibly pushed back from the table. Above, the cavern walls flared more brightly and the tone was deeper and longer. Abagail let out a small startled sound but kept contact with the pillar. Along the edges of the forest, the trees rustled as leaves shook and some fell to the ground. More than one Centaur took a few cautious steps toward open ground.

"One can't help but notice you have not offered any possibility of accommodation, wizard," said the one who spoke little. "Might there not be some way to come to some agreement? To exist side by side as equals?"

This got two reactions. The other eleven all turned to regard the one who spoke. Without knowing why, Harry sensed their outrage. The other reaction was Harry laughing.

"I don't offer it because I know it would not be possible. No matter how often it would be demonstrated, you would never see us as equals. You would scheme and plot and always move towards what you feel is your rightful place. This will not happen."

Harry wasn't sure if he was making any headway, so he pulled out his ace and added the idea of the portrait that Abagail had given him years before. To those around the table looking at him, it appeared that he was growing in size and power. Those he stood by tried to edge away from him. He thought he heard a tiny buzz in his 'ear' and when he focused on it he could make out a small thin voice.

"That's it, Harry. Keep it up, I think you have them scared now."

Harry should have guessed that Abagail would be eavesdropping. So Harry fed a bit more of himself into the portrait image and said,

"Let me explain one more thing. Should you be thinking that you've lasted this long and waiting a little longer until I'm gone shouldn't be a problem, remember this. I am an educator. Paramount among my kind. I will teach many in my lifetime and they will know what I know. And when I am gone others will teach what I have taught them. You may outlive me, but you will never outlive what I know. Oh, and as for your minions running around on the surface, I'm holding you responsible for anything they do. One more act on their part and I'm coming straight back here and putting an end to this."

Harry strolled back toward where he had first appeared. He stood with his back to the wall of the chamber and said, pushing out all of the arrogance and disdain he could imagine,

"And, my friends, I am not alone. Not now, not ever."

And then he directed his thoughts inward.

"I could use a little help here, Dragon. A bit of a demonstration."

Without bothering to answer, the dragon drifted to the edge of the chamber from the flow side and blew out a stream of hot plasma. It was decidedly cooler then what he would do over the grounds of Hogwarts but that like saying a blast furnace is cooler than the sun. The jet flared over the table and splashed against the far wall. Harry had taken the moment of distraction to 'step' back through the wall and into the flow. The stone chamber shuddered and in the forest a few branches from dead trees crashed harmlessly to the ground, although a few of the more jittery occupants bolted in panic.

"Well done, Wizard. One thinks you would have made a fine dragon."

"Thank you, but I thought I have been on occasion."

He could feel the dry chuckle to his side. They waited to try and hear what the reaction was.

"That was far more than we could have expected," suggested the first.

"One wonders why he did not simply burn us to nothing where we sat?" mused the second.

"A weakness, perhaps. To be totally ruthless has always been a rarity among them," offered a third.

"Fool yourself if you wish," said the one who spoke little, "that one carries entropy with him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 492 6
(A Titanic Short Story) It's been nine years since the Titanic has sank, nine years since Rose DeWitt Bukater was separated from her true love, Jack...
69.2K 730 10
The shock of sudden death of Mr. Hale crushes Mr. Bell, rendering him unable to bring the sad news to Margaret himself. He is forced to delegate the...
7.1K 117 12
This was wanted by a few people so I though why not? This is based on pinkdiamonddiva's Roomies minecraft roleplay, specifically for the Pink x Rusty...
25.1K 1.9K 19
ကိုကို .. ခင်ဗျားသာ ချစ်တယ်ဆို ဗုဒ္ဓကိုလည်း ကျွန်တော် ချစ်ပေးနိုင်ပါတယ်။ - အန်ဒရီရာ မာရစ်စတယ်လီယို - အန်ဒရီ x လွမ်းနွေ