MY PRETEND WIFE

By tita-faye

Richard was a self confessed playboy while Maine was your regular girl. In spite of their differences they ha... More

The Ultimatum
Dilemma
Daydreams
The Proposal
Decisions
Revelations
Yes
Meet the Parents
The Mother in Law
A Mother's Mischief
If The Shoe Fits
Kiss
Mixed Feelings
Sealed
The Wedding Night
Tuscan Honeymoon
Belle Coppie
Married Life
Confession
Mother-Daughter Conspiracy
The Separation
Before Goodbye
Sleepless Night
Date in the Park
A Misunderstanding
Epiphany
Reunited
No More Barriers
Hearty Breakfast
A Promise
Consummation of Love
EPILOGUE: Ever After

Anima Gemella

10.7K 653 19
By tita-faye

Maine held her breath as Richard continued to gaze at her. The chants of the people around them seemed to have faded in the background. Kiss me! Maine screamed in her mind. A sexy smirk played on RJ’s lips as he finally bent down and claimed Maine’s lips with his. Maine released a contented sigh as soon as she felt RJ’s lips touch hers. The kiss started out innocent with RJ playfully nibbling on her lips. Finally, he deepened the kiss and Maine held on to him for dear life. Her knees felt like jelly and she would have buckled down if RJ was not holding her tightly.

Maine was out of breath as soon as RJ released her. The sound of the people cheering and clapping came back in full force as if someone pressed the mute button. She blushed at the thought of showing that much public display of affection but she couldn’t help but feel happy about the kiss. Their kisses were developing a certain kind of familiarity between them.

It was almost early evening when they bid goodbye to Giuliana and the rest of the people in the vineyard. Maine has extremely enjoyed their trip and she would miss all of the people that she met. They were very accommodating and they made her and RJ feel right at home.

Richard had gone ahead to the car and Maine was left to say goodbye to Giuliana. “Ciao” she said with a smile and leaned forward to give Giuliana a kiss on the cheek. It was the only Italian word that she knew which RJ himself taught her. Giuliana gave her a motherly smile and said goodbye as well. As Maine turned to go, Giuliana reached out and touched her arm. Maine looked back at her in surprise. Giuliana pointed to Richard who was on his way to their car and looked back at Maine as she placed her hand on her heart.

“Anima gemella” she whispered to Maine with a smile. Maine smiled back at her although she had no idea what the older woman said. After a last goodbye, Maine turned and followed RJ to the car.

Back at the villa the couple enjoyed a succulent dinner at the grand dining area. Maine had initially felt uncomfortable dining in such a big area with just the two of them present. Apparently there seemed to be no other guests aside from them. But then, the people from the villa created such a beautiful candle lit dinner which made the ambiance cozy and romantic.

“It’s so quiet.” she commented while they were having dinner.

“Well, we are the only people here apart from the staff.” RJ said with a smirk.

“Aren’t they expecting other guests?” Maine inquired. She finds it odd that the villa did not have any other guests during their peak season. Guests should be flocking in by now.

“My mother paid for the entire villa for the duration of our stay here.” Richard explained as he took a bite of his Fettucine Alfredo.

Maine’s eyes widened in surprise “Why would she do that?” She asked in disbelief.

“I guess she didn’t want us to be disturbed or something.” Richard replied with an amused smile on his face. Sometimes his best friend could be so naïve.

“But it doesn’t matter if there are people. After all our marriage…” Maine’s voice trailed off as she realized what she was about to say.

Richard was quiet for a moment as he set his fork down. “Of course it is, but my mother does not know that. And she doesn’t have to know that, right?” he finally said.

Maine just nodded in response. It was a little uncomfortable to discuss that aspect of their marriage. She was just RJ’s pretend wife and she was the one who brought up the idea of a marriage only on papers.

“Did you have fun today?” Richard asked trying to change the subject. He was also a little uncomfortable discussing the status of their marriage.

“Yes RJ. I really had fun. My favorite part was our trip to the Bianchi family’s vineyard.” Maine replied with a smile.

Richard cleared his throat and he had a hesitant look on his face. “Maine” He started to say. “Would it be okay if you stop calling me by my name? Don't you think we should start thinking of using endearments? We are married after all.” he requested in a soft voice.

Maine blushed at RJ’s request. She was not used to calling him any other way except RJ. “What do you want me to call you?” She asked tentatively.

“It's up to you. Maybe we can call each other honey, sweetheart.  Babe... any of those. Just not RJ, I feel like a little boy when you call me that” Richard replied.

“Alright” Maine agreed. It felt weird calling him something else other than just his name.

“By the way, I've wanted to talk to you about our sleeping arrangement when we get home” Richard asked. He wanted to get this subject over and done with. It was an awkward topic to discuss, after all, a truly married couple shouldn’t have this kind of dilemma. But they were not a normal couple and he wanted Maine to feel as comfortable as possible. If she wanted separate rooms then he would give that to her.

Maine was quiet for a moment and Richard held his breath as he waited for an answer. Half of him wanted her to say that she wanted separate rooms. He has to admit that it would be easier to keep their agreement if they had that arrangement. But half of him also wanted her to say that she was willing to share his bed even if she was not going to do anything more than just sleep beside him. There seems to be a satisfaction within him with the thought of having her beside him.

Maine finally opened her mouth to speak. “I think sharing a bed would be fine. I’m sure your bed is big enough to fit the both of us right? I don’t want you getting in trouble if your mom finds out that we don’t sleep in the same room.” she said. 

“I don’t think she’ll find out. You don’t have to worry about that.” he assured her.

“But still, it never hurts to be careful. And besides, I trust you.” Maine explained with a smile. She reached for her glass of wine and took a sip.

Richard looked at her for a moment before answering “Alright, if that’s what you want.” he finally agreed.

They sat down in silence for the remainder of the meal. No one saw the need to speak as the silence was comfortable between them. Richard was lost in thought as he finished his dinner. Why do Maine have to trust him so much? Doesn’t she know that he was hanging by a thread here?

Later that evening back in their bedroom, the sense of easiness that they've shared the whole day had already disappeared and was replaced by a feeling of awkwardness. It was already bedtime and they were about to test their sleeping arrangements for the first time. Maine was in the bathroom dressing up while Richard was pacing back and forth. He was wearing pajama bottoms and a loose white shirt. He usually slept with pajama bottoms only but given the circumstances he realized he had to start getting used to wearing a shirt since Maine will be sleeping beside him from now on. Richard took a deep breath and tried to calm his nerves.

The bathroom door finally opened and Maine emerged dressed for bed. Richard took one look at her and swallowed hard. Maine had asked him if he could lend her a shirt since she had felt uncomfortable wearing the lingerie that his mom packed for her. Richard gladly obliged because he wasn’t really a masochist to torture himself with the sight of Maine in sexy lingerie. But one look at her made him realize that he was wrong. Maine in his shirt was even worse. For one thing, it was too big for her that the collar was almost slipping on the side of her shoulder revealing smooth and creamy skin. The hem of the shirt, although it was big, landed just on her mid thighs and showcased her long, lovely legs. Richard had to admit that there was something sexy about the thought of her wearing his clothes. Her femininity was more striking against the masculine clothes that she wore.

It didn’t help either that she was looking at him like a lost little lamb searching for confirmation that what she was wearing was okay. She was fidgeting a little bit and was pulling the hem of the shirt every now and then attempting to hide her body more.

“Is this better?” she asked tentatively.

Oh yes, it was a whole lot better. He wanted to say. But for all the wrong reasons. He cleared his throat “I think that would be okay for now. Remind me to purchase new nightwear for you when we get home.” he said.

Maine nodded as she headed towards the bed. “I forgot to ask you. Which side do you want to sleep in?” Maine asked turning to RJ as she stood at the foot of the bed.

“I prefer to sleep on the left side.” he replied and he watched Maine move to the right side of the bed.

She moved the covers aside and settled down on her side of the bed. As soon as she was settled, she looked up and saw Richard still standing in the middle of the room. “Aren’t you going to sleep yet?” she asked curiously.

Richard just stood there for a moment not knowing exactly what to do. Finally, almost reluctantly, he headed towards the bed and positioned himself at the left side. With a small smile, Maine took a pillow and placed it in between them. Richard wanted to laugh at Maine's actions. A pillow will not be enough to stop him if he wanted to… Stop it RJ! He admonished himself. Don’t even go there!

Maine looked timidly at RJ. “Good night” she softly said.

“Good night” he replied. He reached out and turned off the lamps.

Maine lay in the darkness as she willed herself to sleep. It had been uncomfortable when the lights were on and she and RJ had to deal with the awkwardness of their situation. However, she realizes much to her dismay that the darkness was unbearable. The electricity between them was still palpable in the air and she could not relax at all. Just the thought of having RJ lying down next to her brought her senses into overdrive. She had to think of something else. As her thoughts drifted, she remembered Giuliana’s words to her just as she was leaving the vineyard. She wanted to ask RJ about that and she thought that now was the best time to do so.

“Honey?” she whispered tentatively, still feeling uncomfortable calling him such.

“Hmm?” RJ’s voice was heard in the darkness. She had felt him shift on the bed.

“Can I ask you something?” she said tentatively.

“Sure. What is it?” Richard asked.

“What does anima gemella mean?"

Richard was silent for a moment and Maine thought  he has already fallen asleep when he answered “Where did you learn that?” he wanted to know.

“Giuliana mentioned it to me earlier just before we left. She pointed to you and then placed her hand on her heart as she said it.” she explained.

She heard RJ chuckle in the darkness. She couldn’t understand why he was so amused about it. “She really said that?” as if he couldn’t believe it.

“Yes” she was becoming exasperated. Was he going to tell her or not?

“Well honey” she could tell that his mood has shifted as his tone had a more somber timber to it. “It means soulmate.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 20.4K 44
• First there was Alden and Maine • • And then came Enzo and Katie • • They became Alden and Maine again • • And then came Enzo and Katie •
18.2K 777 29
INTRODUCTION Albert and Melanie had a "not-so-nice" start as friends. Melanie is the new "nerd" girl and Albert is the quiet boy but feared by most...
169K 11.7K 33
There's a saying that goes, "opposites attract". Two different people sometimes compliment each other to make a relationship work, but in some cases...
40.1K 3K 68
How does our past affect our future? How do heart aches, heartbreaks makes someone whole in their present? How do you save someone from the world whi...