Love Happens - A Draco/Hermio...

By imbkaas

Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger met before they started at Hogwarts and became friends. But this was before... More

First Year
Second Year
Third & Fourth Year
Malfoy Happened
Happy Birthday Hermione
Just Friends
Jealousy
I Love...
Please Say Something
Nothing To Fear
A Thousand Times Yes
Obliviate
Choco-loco
I Trust You
A Great Start
A Valid Reason
Only The Beginning
Please... Stop
Friends
The Hardest Choice
She's Gone
Why Are We Friends?
Australia!
Avada Kedavra
Never Got That Far
All ze boys like her, don't zey?
It's really bad
Come what may
Love Hurts Sneakpeak

We Were Friends Once

19.5K 443 155
By imbkaas

I OWN NOTHING! THIS WHOLE UNIVERSE AND ITS CHARACTERS BELONG TO J. K. ROWLING!

- Except Coinneach Dran who I made up :) (picture of Co on the side -->)

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait. But my Easter Break is over and now I'm back in school. I'm working on a huge History paper, and if I don't turn it in, I will have to retake my sophomore year. So I'm focusing a little more on that, than my stories. But I hope you'll enjoy this chapter.

Please VOTE/COMMENT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 5: We Were Friends Once

 I was unable to speak. Fear pulsed through my body, fear of the boy standing in front of me. When I didn’t reply to his words, he sighed and sat down on the floor. 

         “Hermione…” he whispered, the sound of his voice sent shivers down my spine. If it was from pleasure or fear I didn’t know, I forced myself to look at him, “What happened all those years ago? You just stopped talking to me.” He said. It was weird to hear him talk like that. He talked slowly and he had so many hidden feelings behind his words. His eyes were pleading for an answer. I opened my mouth, but then shut it again quickly. I wasn’t going to speak with him. He stood up again quickly and walked towards me, now standing less than half a meter away from me. My heart skipped a beat; I hadn’t been this close to him since our fourth year when he had almost kissed me. Thinking about this particular night made me blush, and I looked down at the floor. I heard him chuckle. It was really nice sound actually.

         “What are you thinking about?” he asked, I looked up at him again, this time I was ready to speak.

         “Please leave Malfoy.” I whispered with a shaking voice. Malfoy sighed and then turned around. He left my bathroom in a matter of seconds. I went to my room and grabbed my wand before locking my door. I sat on my bed and I could feel my eyes watering. After regaining control over my emotions I left my room. No one was in the common room, and the door to Malfoys’ room was shut, the luck was on my side. I sat down in the couch with a book. I had always enjoyed peace when I was reading, but it had never been quiet in the Gryffindor common room. I sighed deeply and began reading.

         “Hermione… Hermione? Wake up.” Someone was shaking me and this someone kept saying my name. My eyes fluttered open and I saw who it was. I jumped from the couch and away from him.

         “Breakfast is in a little while.” Malfoy said, a cold look on his face showed that he had decided against trying to make any other conversation with me.

         “Thanks.” I muttered, he nodded once at me and then left our common room. Maybe my plan had worked, and he wouldn’t talk to me again.

I went to my room to take a quick shower and change, before I went down for breakfast in the Great Hall where I met up with Ron and Harry. Ron kissed me on my cheek, and I smiled sweetly at him when we sat down.

         “How was your first night with the Devil?” Harry asked as he began pouring food onto his plate.

         “Uhm… I avoided him as much as possible, but then ended up falling asleep in our common room while reading.” I said as it was the truth, I just left out the part about him and me in my bathroom. No one needed to know that.

         “Hello everybody.” A familiar voice said, I turned around to see a girl with very long blonde hair sitting down between Harry and Neville.

         “Hi Luna.” We all greeted her. I realized that she still had the habit of keeping her wand behind her ear. She had brought the new edition of The Quibbler with her. I shook my head and smiled at her. She was sometimes as mad as a hatter, but she was a great girl nonetheless. Her and Neville had gotten together during last year, but had broken up again in the end of the school year because it had been Neville’s last year. But when he had failed most of his N.E.W.T. exams, he had asked McGonagall to come back. I was glad she let him. I liked Neville a lot; he had been one of my best friends since first year. I enjoyed being back with my friends, but too soon I had to leave to get to class.

DRACO’S POINT OF VIEW

What the bloody hell was wrong with that girl? I had finally gotten enough of her. If she was going to ignore me, then fine. I didn’t care. Stupid mudblood. We had been in school for more than two weeks now and she hadn’t spoken to me since the first night in her bathroom. She was avoiding me, every morning she left before me and she had planned out the whole prefect-patrolling schedule without me, so she wouldn’t have to speak to me. But it was fine. If this was how she was going to deal with me, then fine. I didn’t care.

It was getting late. I was sitting in our common room finishing my potions essay. I had actually been on my way to bed, when I remembered about my homework, it wasn’t due until Monday, but I wanted to finish it early so I didn’t have to sit with it late Sunday night. So I sat down by one of the tables and began working. I looked at the time; it was a quarter to midnight. I yawned and started gathering my things. As I stood up I heard a door open, and I heard a gasp. I looked up and saw Hermione staring at me. At first I didn’t understand it, but then I remembered. I was wearing only my pyjama bottoms; my chest was bare. But that wasn’t where her eyes were looking; she was staring at my left arm with horror. I looked down and saw the Dark Mark tattoo. I quickly hid my arm behind my back. Her eyes finally made their way to my face. She looked terribly frightened.

         “Hermione, please listen…” I began, wanting to explain it. She believed I was still a Death Eater, and seeing my Dark Mark obviously didn’t prove her wrong. But she just shook her head and went back inside her room. I know I just said I didn’t want anything to do with her, but seeing her changed my mind. She had been my best friend once and it had broken my heart when she stopped talking to me. I had been a jerk to her during our fifth and sixth year, I completely understood why she wouldn’t talk to me, but I had to try. I sighed and walked towards her door, putting my head close to it trying to hear what was going on inside her room. I could hear footsteps. She was walking around in her room, and it didn’t sound like she was going to stop anytime soon. I waited a few minutes for her to slow down, but it didn’t happen. I finally just knocked on the door. The footsteps stopped and after a minute or so of silence, they began again. But this time the sound was coming closer, and I jerked away from the door just before she opened it.

         “I don’t want to speak to you Malfoy. You disgust me.” She snarled and began closing the door again, but I put my foot in between the door and the frame. Hermione looked at me.

         “Fine. You don’t want to speak to me? Then I'll just talk. You need to know…” I said, the brown-eyed girl sighed and then opened the door again. I stepped back as she walked out to sit down in one of the big chairs in front of the fireplace. I followed and sat down in the couch. She looked at me expectantly. I cleared my throat; this was the first time I was going to tell anyone about this. I hadn’t even told McGonagall about it when I asked to come back here this year. She had just trusted me.

         “What did you want to tell me?” Hermione asked after a while, she was getting impatient and I could tell she was uncomfortable.

         “I know you hate me Hermione. You have every reason to. But I’m not the same person as I used to be. The War changed a lot of people; it changed me. I know, you know about the mission the Dark Lord gave me before I began my sixth year. At the time I was proud, he had chosen me. I was honoured! But when Snape killed Dumbledore instead of me, the Dark Lord was disappointed with me. I was tortured for failing on my task. My father wouldn’t speak to me in months. I stayed home during my seventh year, as you know, because I was afraid to go back to Hogwarts.

“But living at home wasn’t too great either; Death Eaters were everywhere. People were brought to my house to get tortured and then killed by that nasty snake. I don’t think I slept in half a year out of fear. I was so scared! I was actually secretly starting to hope that you three were succeeding in your weird mission. I wanted the Dark Lord gone, I wanted my parents and my home back.” I said and sighed. My voice was shaking as I remembered this horrible time of my life.

         “When you three were captured and brought to my house, I lost all hope. Remember? I could have told aunt Bellatrix it was Potter but I didn’t. I wanted you out of my house so you could continue your task. Then they put him and Weasley in the cellars, but they kept you in the room. I didn’t know why at first, but it was because you held the sword of Godric Gryffindor. When aunt Bellatrix began torturing you, I felt like vomiting. I hated seeing you like that. But I couldn’t do anything to stop her. It hurt me to see you in pain, my stomach and heart clenched. I was happy to leave when they send me down to fetch the goblin. But at the same time I didn’t want to leave, I was scared that she would kill you.” I said. Hermione looked away from me. I noticed she had cringed when I mentioned Bellatrix.

         “She would have killed me if Dobby, Harry and Ron hadn’t come to save me.” She whispered, I saw a tear fall from her cheek, and had to fight the urge of giving her a comforting hug.

         “I know. I was happy they came, and I was actually happy that Harry disarmed me. Because then I didn’t have to fight against you.” I continued, “I have regretted all of my horrible decisions. Especially the one I made when choosing the Dark Lords’ side in the Battle of Hogwarts. I was a coward; I didn’t want to die. So I made a bad choice. The one choice I don’t regret is coming back this year. I was actually hoping you would be back as well. Hermione, we were friends once. Do you think we can go back to being friends again?” I asked hopefully, I crossed my fingers behind my back wishing she would say yes. She didn’t look at me for a long time. None of us spoke. I noticed her eyes were on the clock, it was way past 12. No wonder I was getting tired. Finally she turned to look at me.

         “Draco…” her voice was shaking, “I stopped talking to you because of your family and Voldemort. Now he’s gone. But your parents are still on the loose, and, if I remember correctly, your father’s a very dedicated Death Eater. I don’t know if I want to risk my life again just to be friends with you.” She said, tears were spilling from her chocolate brown eyes. I closed my eyes and stood up.

         “Fine.” I said before walking to my room. I stopped just before walking in to my room. “Oh, and happy birthday Hermione.” She looked shocked at me.

         “How did you know?” she asked I smirked at her.

         “We were friends once. Remember? I don’t forget things that easy.” Hermione blushed explosively; it was just like the first night when we talked. She apparently didn’t forget certain things either. I had a feeling about what she remembered, but I let it pass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I chuckled when I saw her the next morning. It was the second time she had fallen asleep in that chair. She was curled in a small ball in the chair; it didn’t look particularly comfortable, but I guess she had been too tired last night to go back to her room. I let her sleep and quietly snuck out of the room.

She said she didn’t want to be friends with me anymore, but I didn’t believe her, especially not because she had been crying when she said it. We were supposed to be friends! We were perfect together when we were younger. I could talk to her about everything! I almost got my first kiss from her during my fourth year, but she fled from me before I could kiss her. That night was actually the last time I talked to her face-to-face, until we began school again this year. I sighed remembering that night. It was during the Yule Ball our fourth year, I had wanted to ask Hermione. But I couldn’t, it would have looked wrong. My parents would have disowned me if they heard about Hermione and me being friends. So I went with Pansy the pug. Hermione had called her a pug when we were younger, and I realized at one point that she was right, Pansy did look like a pug. But Hermione went to the ball with Viktor Krum, the stupid Bulgarian quidditch player. I had looked longingly after her the whole night.

Oh, why did all of this have to happen to me? If my father weren’t a Death Eater I wouldn’t have had to hide my friendship with Hermione. My life sucked.

I had been walking around the hallways for quite a while, when I finally went to the Great Hall to get some breakfast. I found some of my friends and sat down with them. Not many of my friends had returned this year. Crabbe was dead, Goyle had been arrested, Pansy was sitting with Daphne Greengrass and Millicent Bulstrode, but I didn’t speak to her anymore. We used to date but I broke it off, I had a feeling she still liked me though. She kept looking at me. Blaise Zabini and Coinneach Dran had come back this year. Coinneach, called Co, was a year younger than Blaise and me so he had to come back to finish school, unlike Blaise and I. We came back because we wanted to.

         “How’s sharing a room with the mudblood going?” Blaise wanted to know.

         “Don’t call her that!” I snapped unintentionally. Both Co and Blaise looked at me.

         “Are ye a little protective of your new roommate eh?” Co said with his thick Irish accent. He reminded me of that Gryffindor boy Finnigan sometimes. They had the same accent.

         “No I’m not. I have just changed. Please don’t use that word around me anymore.” I said angrily.

         “Yeah right. Are you sure nothing’s going on behind that portrait? It’s only the two of you all day and night every day.” He snorted and I shook my head in disbelief, of course nothing was going on, she hated me. As I was about to answer my attention was pulled towards the Gryffindor table.

         “HAPPY BIRTHDAY HERMIONE!” Most of the older Gryffindor students yelled as Hermione entered the Great Hall. She looked tired and a little distraught but nonetheless happy. She ran excitedly down to her friends. She hugged all of her friends and kissed Weaselbee. I didn’t know they were dating.

         “Ha! I told you so Blaise. Give me my money!” Co said pulling my attention back to our own table.

         “You told him what?” I asked while Blaise handed over five galleons to Co.

         “He said you liked the mudblood, I said there was no way. You’re too sensible for that. Draco Malfoy falling for a mudblood? I didn’t think that would ever happen.” Blaise sneered; I choked on my apple juice when I began laughing.

         “Well, if that was the bet, then you should give Blaise his money back including the five galleons you owe him. I don’t like Hermione, I have just learned not to… hate her.” I said between coughs.

         “Sure. If you say so.” Co said. Blaise held out his hand and Co reluctantly got the money out again.

         “I do.” I said and looked at her, “And anyways, she hates me. So it doesn’t matter.” As soon as I said those words Hermione looked up at me. Her smile faltered and it looked like she had stopped in the middle of saying something. Weasley sat next to her and was waving his hand in front of her face. She blinked a few times and then looked away from me again, continuing her conversation with him. I sighed and went back to poking at my food. 

So... I hope you liked this chapter! I'll upload ASAP :) Next chapter will be from Hermiones POV since it's her birthday. Please VOTE/COMMENT!! :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 153 19
After the war, everyone returned to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry to finish their final year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is now head...
680K 14.9K 36
The Wizarding War is over. Voldemort is dead. The Wizarding World is now peaceful. Wizards and Witches are still reminiscing about the past. Hermion...
721K 22.4K 20
Enemies, Friends, Lovers Harry never knew those three words could be synonymous, but his sixth year at Hogwarts has challenged everything he has come...
363 0 41
Madeleine Van Alen hates Draco Malfoy with a passion. Insults, fights, and the occasional duel can happen when Maddie and Draco go to Hogwarts togeth...