The Bounty Hunter

By intotheneonlights

The Outlands of Sullniane are a dangerous place, ignored by the Palace and governed by the criminals exiled t... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven

Chapter Forty One

394 28 4
By intotheneonlights

Chapter Forty One

They were working to undo Lassirus’ work the next morning when Finred emerged, his hair still tousled and his eyes bleary. Suddenly he started as he saw Favia and he hurried over to her, placing his hands on her shoulders as if he was checking that she was real. “I thought you were dead.”

She shook her head. “Surprise?” she tried as he embraced her, clutching her to him tightly. “Why did you think that?”

“Lassirus said… I don’t know why I listened to him,” he mumbled.

“You couldn’t have known any different,” she said with an attempt at a cavalier grin. “But no, I’m not.”

“I’m glad,” he said seriously. He released her and she moved back over to the table they had been sitting round. “Now you’re here you can help us work. We need to… fix whatever Lassirus did.”

“Are my parents helping you?” he asked as he took a seat.

Favia studied a small knot in the wooden table as she replied, “No.”

“Why not?”

“We… can’t find them,” she whispered.

“What?” he exclaimed. “Are you serious?” She pressed her lips together in a thin line and nodded once as Finred’s shoulders slumped. He leapt out of his chair and was at the door before he said, “I… can’t help you at the moment. I have to… go.”

The door banged shut behind him and Favia raised her eyes to the ceiling, taking a number of deep breaths before she returned her gaze to the people sitting opposite her. “Right so we need to recruit people to take the message to the outlying settlements,” she started, massaging her temple as she tried to focus on the task at hand.

“And Lassirus’ head is on show outside,” Hergun continued.

“Technically no laws he implemented can be repealed until we have a King,” Ravina sighed, “but we can just remove them - nobody’s going to complain about it and it hasn’t been very long… We do need a new monarch though. We’re going to have to crown Thannaerus soon or otherwise someone else might try to seize power…”

“He won’t take very kindly to that,” Favia muttered before turning serious, “but the situation with Pallia is still unstable and once Sullniane is safe we’ll have to contact them about Varenna… Hopefully she made it back safely. I guess she must have done or Arthan wouldn’t have returned when Thannaerus sent him away…” She trailed off and stared intently at the table, blinking back tears. “So we’ll have to…”

“Where are all of the old advisers?” Hergun asked. “I know we found a couple of bodies but surely there were more?”

“I suppose most of them went into hiding,” Ravina said. “Hopefully they’ll begin to resurface soon as the news spreads enough and they see that it’s true and not a trick engineered by Lassirus.”

The days passed slowly as they contacted the other cities and hired people to find anyone loyal to Lassirus who would create trouble. Every so often another old friend of the King and Queen would appear and lend their help too and, before too long, there was a makeshift council sitting in the palace and working to remove any evidence of Lassirus’ brief reign. Safita, however, was less than helpful during this period - she had appeared on the third day looking much the same as she had before but had had no idea how to help them. “I’m out of my depth,” she had said when called on to offer her opinion, “sorry. I’m clearly much better at killing people than tidying up after them.” A couple of the advisers had exchanged worried glances and, once she had drifted out of the room, one of them had weakly offered his disapproval. “Usually she would be sent to the Outlands or executed… We can’t have killers here…”

He was met by numerous shocked gazes, all staring incredulously at him as they tried to collect their thoughts. “That killer is the reason you’re sitting here and not cowering in a distant house while Lassirus wreaks havoc,” another lord replied disapprovingly.

“But the law-!”

“Perhaps it’s time for a new law,” he suggested. “After all, who are we to enforce the law if we can’t apply it equally to everyone? I refuse to apply the law to her and I doubt I’m the only one. Sticking stubbornly to the law has caused us more problems than we’d care to admit.” The table subsided into mutters as the two advisers eyed each other and, as the people ranged around the table frowned, the first one admitted defeat.

The next day, however, she reappeared and took a place at the enormous table, determined to learn as much as she could. She desperately needed to take her mind off the things she had experienced recently and detested wallowing alone in her room; apart from go for long walks in the grounds and the city, the only thing she could do was join the council and so that’s what she did. They were so busy that they didn’t notice Finred seemed to have vanished until they sent Favia to talk to him about being crowned and filling the power vacuum that the King and Queen’s disappearance had caused. Although none of them had managed to find any evidence as to their whereabouts they had been forced to assume that they hadn't survived; they had tried to keep it hidden from the inhabitants of the city but everyone knew that they would have to share the secret sometime.

“Do you have any idea where he is?” she hissed as she cornered Safita.

“No,” she replied. “Honestly if I have to chase him down again I am going to… I haven’t seen him in days.”

“Me neither,” she said. “Oh god if he’s been kidnapped by someone who’s trying to take advantage of this I will…”

Safita paled as she began to panic as much as Favia was. “Do you really think that that’s likely?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I can’t imagine where else he would have gone. Oh god he really is an idiot. They’re a family of big hearted idiots and when I find him I am going to wring his neck and kill him slowly and painfully for doing this to me.”

She grabbed Favia and stopped her from pacing, telling her to breathe slowly as she explained what they were going to do. “We’re not going to panic,” she said, “and we won’t tell anyone. Who knows about this?”

“Just you at the moment. I thought you might have seen him.”

“Right well we’ll tell Ravina, Hergun and Nell and that’s it.”

“Should we tell Maeven? After all she’s out in the city now so she might have seen something.”

Safita paused and considered it for a moment before shrugging. “We’ll tell her if the others think it will help. So once we’ve spoken to them we’re going to search the palace and the grounds and if we haven’t found him by then we will think of what else to do.”

“Right,” Favia agreed, “and if we do find him then I’m going to murder him.” Safita rolled her eyes and let out a small giggle before steering her down the corridor. “They’re down here having lunch as they work on something.”

The three of them jumped to their feet as soon as they heard what had happened and immediately began dividing the palace up between the five of them before spreading out and scouring every corner. Evening was creeping in before Favia peered under the overhanging branches of an enormous tree in the grounds, a tree which used to be their base as children, and saw a figure curled up against the trunk. “Finred?” she called. The figure didn’t lift its head and she moved closer to it before sitting beside it on the ground. “We were worried about you.”

“You shouldn’t be,” he mumbled as she slapped his arm. “Well we were! We still don’t know if it’s safe here… You could have been kidnapped for all we knew.”

“I just needed to be alone.”

“Why couldn’t you be alone in your room?” He lifted his head up and eyed her wordlessly. “You never used to come here to think,” she sighed. “It used to be the crack in the trunk of the willow by the pond… I checked there first… Someone’s taken the cushions out of it. I suppose they were ruined… It’s been years since we last went there… I’d almost forgotten about it.”

“My parents are dead.”

Favia shut her eyes and a lone tear trickled down her cheek as she thought of the King and Queen. “I’m sorry Finred,” she muttered. “I wish it wasn’t true.”

“Well it is,” he said coldly, clenching his fists as he burnt with anger.

“How do you know for certain?” she asked. “We couldn’t find…”

“I can feel it. I’m surprised Lassirus didn’t put them on show for everyone to see.” Favia noted that he didn’t sound particularly surprised - he sounded furious. “Perhaps he was worried that doing so would cause the people to rise up against him; your parents were very well-loved,” she suggested as Finred shrugged, tensing his shoulders as he tried to contain his grief and fury. She reached up and rubbed her hands along them, trying to calm him down. “You still have me,” she whispered, “and you have Safita and your other friends. I know it’s not the same but-”

“You’re right it’s not the same,” he hissed as she continued to work her thumbs into his muscles.

“You know what this means Finred,” she sighed as he shook his head resolutely. “I can’t… Not now Favia.”

“I know you can’t and I know you don’t want to but you don’t have much of a choice… We need you to be visible or this could happen again.”

He sighed heavily and shook his head, trying to fight his way out of the duty which he knew he would always bear and the responsibilities he was incapable of shirking. “I never should have come back,” he muttered. “I never should have taken Safita up on her offer of travelling with her and I never should have let myself be captured by Ultuc after I left her… I was an idiot and I lost my only chance of freedom because I let myself be drawn into her web.”

“It’s not that bad here is it?” Favia asked. He turned to face her and frowned at her crestfallen expression. “No of course not,” he reassured her quickly, “there are a lot of things I love about being back here… And I missed you while I was away… I just wish I could live here without the worry of having to rule.”

“You could have just let Lassirus win,” she teased as he cracked a tiny smile. “Get yourself a wife who knows what she’s doing and then you’ll find it much easier. You’ll be an amazing king Finred, don’t let yourself doubt that… It might seem daunting now but you’ll grow used to it.”

He sighed and nodded, running his hands through his already messy hair. “I know, I know. There’s no way I would ever abandon this place… My sojourn into the Outlands was… interesting but I suppose I realised while I was out there that I couldn’t just vanish.”

“So you’ll do it then?” He nodded once, his chin jerking as he did so. Favia smiled at him and took one of his hands in hers, hoping to offer him what little comfort she could. “I should warn you,” she began, “once you’ve been crowned… they’re expecting a wedding.”

“Still?” he exclaimed. “To Varenna?” Favia looked at him and he pursed his lips as he thought what to say next. “Well… it could be worse I suppose. At least we could be friends one day in the future… and it will keep our relationship with Pallia stable.” Favia stood up and offered him her hand, pulling him up too. “She is sweet…” she said eventually before leading him out from under the tree.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 2.8K 68
Since Esmera was abandoned on a stranger's doorstep as a baby, the only person who has looked out for her is herself. Until a lark starts visiting he...
1.9K 262 15
Annalise Vale is living as an ordinary peasant girl. After being locked up inside a tower her whole life she finally runs away. On her way to find a...
10.1K 534 87
"I would burn this world for you, princess. And if that makes me selfish-selfish in the ways only a villain can be. Then, then i will gladly be the v...
40.6K 1.7K 31
✴ Book 2 of "Taming His Mistress" ✴ Everyone has their demons. Some of us choose to keep them hidden. But what happens when your demons come out to p...