She's On The Hunt - (Book 2 o...

By lilly-rain

Eva and Saxon are finally a mated couple but nothing is ever simple for them. Instead of settling down and do... More

Chapter 1 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 2 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 3 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 4 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 5 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 6 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 7 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 8 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 9 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 10 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 11 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 12 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 13 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 14 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 15 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 16 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 17 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 18 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 19 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 20 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 21 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 22 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 23 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 24 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 25 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 26 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 27 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 28 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 29 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 30 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 31 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 32 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 33 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 34 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 35 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 36 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 37 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 39 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 40 - She's On The Hunt
Epilogue - She's On The Hunt

Chapter 38 - She's On The Hunt

188K 3.4K 344
By lilly-rain

Ignore all errors, will fix them later =)

~ ~ Chapter Thirty-Eight ~ ~

“Seriously, where the heck does he live?” I cried out in annoyance, kicking a large rock along the ground that was next to me.

Chris shook his head, his eyes scanning the car park of the shopping mall. We had gone to the school and started from there, following every single different trail of Troy and Peter’s and every single time, it lead us to somewhere useless – like the mall.

Every single trail led us somewhere and then back to the school.

“It’s almost like he doesn’t live anywhere,” Chris mumbled, looking behind us at the way we had just came as we both fell silent. My mind taking me back along the trails we had just followed, Chris’s probably doing the same as we each tried our hardest to figure out where to go from here.

“The school,” Chris turned to face me and I rolled my eyes.

“We have been there a dozen times already and Saxon is getting impatient with me as well, so I don’t want to waste much more time out here,” I groaned, blocking out my mates voice. It was like that one pesky fly that no matter how many times you swipe at it – it still comes back until you snap and go all ninja on its butt with a can of fly spray or a rolled up paper.

“No, idiot, I literally mean the school,” Chris muttered, smacking me up the back of my head.

“Uncool,” I growled lightly as I rubbed my head and glared at him, “Oh what!” I cried out, his words registering in my mind, “He’s living at that dump?”

Chris nodded with a small grin on his face, proud of himself for working it out finally, “Exactly, there’s no place his trails lead us to that he could reside at for this long undetected.”

Nodding my head slowly as a smile creeped across my lips, “Well done sidekick, I may just pay you after all.”

“Shut up Evangeline,” he snapped and I growled back at him mockingly.

“Come on CC, let’s go find us some wolves,” I grinned and started to lead the way back across the dark street. It was just before midnight and I was starting to get tired, and tomorrow is a school day and I haven’t caught up on my homework yet either.

All my hard work of studying and actually paying attention in class has just gone the drain.

“Hey, do you have a phone?” I asked Chris as we cut through a back alleyway, we were roughly five minutes from the school now – we both gave up on running in wolf form hours earlier. Not because we were worried someone would see us, but due to lack of mind link.

“Yeah,” Chris replied, giving me a sideway glance and saying nothing else.

“Can I use it?” I sighed, rolling my eyes at his stupidity.

“No.”

“What! Why?” I cried out in shock, turning and looking at him.

Chris grinned, “Because your fat fingers will break it.”

“They will not,” I snapped.

“So you admit you have fat fingers then?” he chuckled with a smirk.

Groaning as I slapped his arm, “Grow up already and let me use your phone, I need to make a call.”

Chris shoved me back lightly, “No slapping the merchandise Eva, you might break what you can’t afford.”

“That was disturbing CC, seriously,” I muttered, shaking my head a little, “Remind me why I’m friends with you again?”

“Because I can beat anyone up who picks on you,” he smirked, flexing one of his arms in the process.

“Fairly sure I can beat up people on my own, can I just use your phone?” I muttered, annoyed he was trying to distract me.

Chris chuckled and dug one hand into his back jeans pocket, pulling his mobile out a few seconds later and handed it over to me, “You break it, you buy it, simple.”

Rolling my eyes, “I'm not going to break it, idiot.”

Scrolling through his contacts, I hit the dial icon for the first brother I came across, Harper, and put the phone to my ear, and listened to the ringing tone. Not even five rings later, and he answered, “What’s up?”

“Is the new cousin with you?” I asked.

“He has a name,” Harper laughed, “But yeah, hang on,” and he screamed out Darren’s name, causing me to flinch and jerk the phone away from my ear.

“Why do you need Darren?” Chris asked, frowning slightly and I shushed him without giving an answer.

“Hello?” Darren came onto the phone and I quickly put it back up to my ear again.

“Hi cousin, where about in the school does Troy sleep?”

“You’re looking for Troy?” he asked, his voice going hard, “Did you not listen to anything I said?”

Looking over at Chris, who shook his head and mouthed ‘we can take him on’ and I shrugged, “Um, yeah?”

“Wait for me, I’ll meet you there,” he muttered just as the school came into view.

Getting agitated, “No offence, but are you going to tell me where about in the school he is or not?” I got no answer; Darren had already disconnected the call. My mouths fell open as I turned and stared at Chris, “He hung up on me!” I cried out in shock.

Chris roared into laughter, taking his phone back and putting it back into his pocket, “I think I like him already, that’s hilarious,” he teased and I narrowed my eyes playfully at him.

“Whatever, let’s just find a way into this dump,” I muttered as I lead to the fence surrounding the school’s property.

“To go under, or over, that is the question,” Chris spoke up from behind me as I heard his feet walking across the pavement and I turned to stare at him.

“Unless your digging, we go over...idiot,” I shook my head at him, and he says he worries for my sanity at times. I think we all should be worried for his.

Reaching up and getting a good hold into the rough brick exterior of the tall wall, I hoisted myself up and started climbing. When I had reached the top and swung my legs over so I could sit on the very small flat surface of the bricks, Chris sprung up and landed right next to me.

Narrowing my eyes as I glared at him, “Show off.”

Chris chuckled and shook his head gently, “Nah, it’s called being smart – something you wouldn’t have a clue about.”

Just as I went to shove him, he dropped down to the ground with a soft thud and looked up at me, “Are you going to sit up there all night or come down?” he grinned.

Poking my tongue out at him, I pulled my leg from one side all the way over the side I was dropping down from, and pushed off from the wall, landing on the balls of my feet to minimum the sound.

Walking silently towards the school building, keeping our bodies in the dark shadows of the night and making next to no noise as we moved along; I glanced up at Chris, “How do we get in without triggering an alarm?” I whispered my voice barely audible as the wind carried it away.

Chris’s shoulder rose and fell as he shrugged, “Not sure yet, we could always just make our presence known?”

“That’s a stupid idea,” I muttered, shaking my head until it hit me, “Or maybe not.”

“Huh?” Chris frowned and I grinned up at him.

“What is our most known method of getting things done?”

I can’t believe that idiot, I grumbled in my mind as I slammed against the front doors, snapping the lock. Rolling my eyes a little, it is a wonder why Grug even bothers too continuously replace it.

Waiting for the sounds of alarms to ring out, there was nothing but the sound of my own steady breathing that met my ears. Frowning a little, I figured the alarms were silent and started walking forward, my steps echoing lightly through the empty and dark corridors.

Being at school after hours just felt plain weird and even a little wrong somehow.

Why am I the darn decoy? This is Chris’s job, not mine. I’m the one who sneaks in and gets the job done while he makes a distraction – not the other way around. Silently I cursed that stupid rock, paper, scissors game that had decided my fate right now.

I suck at that game.

Rounding a corner, I came to a slow stop, listening intently for any kind of sounds, but heard nothing. Frowning slightly, I looked left and then right; where are they? Shouldn’t they be coming after me, investigating who had entered the building this late at night?

At times like these, I really wish I had my mind link with everyone else still. ‘Sax?’ I called out softly, even though no one could hear me as I turned right and walked down the middle of the corridor.

Deciding I needed to quicken this up so they were actually distracted one hundred per cent when Chris breaks in, I allowed myself to walk normally, causing my heavy footsteps to loudly echo through the halls.

‘About time girl, when I say I want you to stay in constant contact – I mean it!’ Saxon yelled in my mind and I winced slightly.

‘Yeah, yeah. We had a bit of trouble tracking them down, but we are closing in on them now,’ I mumbled back, my eyes scanning the open classroom doors as I passed them by, expecting some kind of ambush or something.

If I were Troy, where would I sleep in the school?

I don’t know about Troy, but me personally – I would take over Grug’s office just to get under his skin that little bit more.

‘So I heard, I’ve stopped Darren from coming,’ Saxon replied while I frowned.

‘Um, not that I wanted him to come, but why?’

Walking down the corridor towards Grug’s office, the only sounds I could still hear were my own heavy echoing steps.

‘Because Eva, you are always saying you can handle yourself and deep down I know you can. It’s just hard for me to let you go off like this, just sitting here and not being there to watch your back, but I know Chris wouldn’t dare let anything happen to you,’ Saxon sighed, he didn’t want to admit this to me, but he did and I couldn’t stop the grin from appearing on my face.

‘Aww, is Saxxy letting Eva be a big girl finally? That’s so cute!’ I chirped in an annoying tone.

‘Don’t make me change my mind Eva,’ he growled back lightly and I chuckled to myself.

‘So, how did it go at Grug’s house? Was Alana good or not? I really need to get her to teach me how she hides her scent though, that would be an awesome skill to have,’ I babbled on, not noticing the musky scents filling the corridor I was walking down, until their bulky shadows came into sight.

Slowing down to a stop, “Hey guys, what brings you to the school at such a late hour? Breaking in are we now?” and I shook my head disapprovingly at them.

‘I’ll wait until you get back to tell you,’ Saxon replied as I kept my eyes focused on Troy and Peter.

‘No problems, talk later,’ I sighed Saxon off and my mind was once again my own.

“What brings you here at this hour is more the question?” Troy smirked as he took a slow step forward.

Folding my arms across my chest, but raising one hand to inspect my short and slightly grubby nails, I shrugged, “Oh, you know, the same old thing – to annoy Grug,” I flashed them a grin, knowing that anyone would believe this lie to be true.

Have to love my mutual dislike with Grug at times.

“Really?  This late at night, while he isn’t here?” Peter growled, his gruff voice echoing all around me as I kept a smirk glued to my face, “Doesn’t seem like your style to sneak around in the dark.”

“And what is my style then?” I growled back, a little defensively as I glared at Peter.

“More upfront in someone’s face,” he growled back, taking a threateningly step forward, but it didn’t faze me in the slightest.

“Oh yeah, well at least I don’t sneak around like a, like a...sneaky rat!” I snapped back, curling my fingers up into clenched fists as my anger started to get the better of me.

Personally, I like to think I am a pretty chilled and levelheaded person most of the time and that it takes a bit to get me wired up, but Peter just got under my skin, like how I just got under Grug’s.

“I’ll give you rat!” Peter growled loudly, vibrating the windows on the classroom doors and I growled back in response.

“Step back Peter, she’s just a girl,” Troy snapped, his voice full of command.

“Give you just a girl!” I snapped at Troy, my hand itching to just punch his square in the nose and hopefully break it – even if for just a little while.

Troy looked over at me, studying me for a moment before he spoke, “How about we start again – why are you here Eva and more importantly, why are you alone?”

I smirked slightly at the fact that they hadn’t clued in on Chris being here as well, but my anger was still running through my veins, “I already told you that, to annoy Grug. How about you go back on your merry way and I’ll go back on mine?”

“Where’s your mate and Alpha?” Troy asked, ignoring me completely and I glared a little more.

“Why? You want to go chat him up. See if he will leave me for you?” I teased, my tone holding a hard edge to it.

Troy’s face scrunched up in complete disgust, “No!”

“You sure about that?” I teased again, starting to feel my anger slowly leave my body as I smirked at him.

“Yes! Damn Eva, where do you come up with half this rubbish?” he snapped, glaring at me angrily while I chuckled softly.

Shrugging my shoulders, “Well, you have always been a little too interested in my mate...,” I trailed off, letting the unspoken speak for itself.

“Maybe you have changed your mind and want to take me up on my offer after all?” Troy suddenly twisted the tables on me and tried to make it seem like he was in control of this argument.

Staring at him, unable to believe my ears, I shook my head slowly, “Yes Troy, you got me. I totally want to leave Saxon and join you,” I rolled my eyes on the end, making it even clearer just how sarcastic I was being.

“I know you’re up to something,” Troy muttered, raising an eyebrow as he stared at me. Somehow thinking that under his gaze, I would crack and spill my guts to him.

My true intentions stayed silent, as I acted dumb, clueless. “Yeah, annoying Grug – what else would I-,” I was cut off by the very distinct and loud sound of smashing glass.

Damn you Chris!

“Seems like we aren’t the only ones here, come on – the noise came from this way,” I bluffed as I turned back to where I had came from.

“What is wrong with you? It clearly came from this direction,” Troy scoffed and I looked back just in time to see him shaking his head at me as he quickly turned his back.

Cursing softly under my breath, its times like these that I wish had that mind link.

“You sure? I think your wolf ears are going on the fritz, it definitely came from this direction,” I tried to convincingly argue with him, but followed him nonetheless.

“This is what she is really up to, I told you she can’t be trusted,” Peter hissed lowly at Troy as he stormed past him.

Rolling my eyes, “Wolf ears dude, wolf ears.”

As we passed the corridor that led towards the lunch area, I decided to make a break for it and instantly took off running, hoping that I would be able to reach Chris before they did. Shouts and loud cursing of words echoed the hallway and I heard a set of feet chasing after me.

“You can’t run forever she-wolf!” Peter roared from behind me and I growled a little to myself, why did it have to be him who chose to follow me? He was sure to rip me to pieces if he ever got those fat hands of his on me.

“Catch me if you can idiot!” I laughed over my shoulder, slowing my pace down a little to round a bend. The soles of my shoes had absolutely no grip from the amount of ‘dragging my feet’ I do, as my Dad likes to say. So, I had no grip and slid around the corner, letting out a small scream of surprise as my body headed directly towards the wall.

Almost falling over as I steadied myself up and legged it once again, I heard Peter doing the same not even a minute later as he slid around the corner, but since the dude is big and not small like me – he smashed into the wall, slowing him down a tiny bit, as he yet again cursed loudly.

I knew for a fact that the staff room was just up head and that that certain area all linked up together with the front office, Grug’s office, the sick bay. Looking down the corridor, my eyes finally landed on the door that had the small red plaque stuck on front of it, the only thing distinguishing it from the rest and I made a direct beeline for the door opposite it. Hoping to throw Peter off a little too where I was actually heading.

As I got close to the wrong door, I heard Peter barrelling in my direction and quickly darted to the other side of the corridor, flinging open the staff room and running full blast into it. Jumping over a plain grey lounge, I didn’t let anything stop me or get in my way as I stared straight ahead at the door, which opened up into the small hallway which the front office was attached to.

Chris had said he was going to use Grug’s office window to break in through, so I could only hope he was still in this immediate area now, “Chris!” I screamed out, my voice breaking a little as panic started to set in.

A minute later, I heard him shouting back, his tone covered in complete and utter confusion as my name echoed around the school from his familiar tone. Just hearing that he was nearby somewhere managed to clam me down a little, but I know there is only one thing that could have completely calmed me down right now and that is Saxon.

“The fat one is about to eat me!” I called out again, screaming a little as Peter’s hand swiped at my back, yanking my jumper a little, but not enough to pull me down or throw me off balance.

Picking up speed yet again as I bolted around yet another corner and straight down it into the dark hallway, pushing the front office door open and half falling out into the corridor where Chris had started a punch up with the one chasing me right now.

Peter growled furiously from behind me, over the fact that I was just that little bit too fast for him, or my words- I don’t know, but either way he was ticked.

Rounding the next corner, which was the closest one, I hoped Peter would slid and slam into the lockers again, but as I round it, I instantly came into contact with a warm body and was flung back. My head hitting the floor with a deafening crack as I cried out in pain.

“Damn, Eva, you alright?” Chris worried voice echoed through my ears as I groaned and blinked my eyes open a few times.

“Am I bleeding?” I mumbled.

He chuckled softly, “Not that I can see, but you’re going to have a killer headache for a little bit from that knock.”

Cursing instantly as I rolled over and looked to where I had just come from, “Crap Chris, he’s going to be here any second now.”

“Who?” Chris frowned as he followed my line of sight.

“Peter, he was right on my heels,” I whispered, not that it would have made any difference.

As I struggled to sit up and ignored the furious thumping at the back of my skull, Chris sneaked forward and eventually peered around the corner, checking both ways before looking back to me and shrugging, “No one’s there, are you sure you didn’t find a bottle of grog or something? You’re acting weird.”

Glaring at him as I held out one hand for him to help me up, “I'm not drunk, I swear he was about to kill me.”

“Okay, that bit I believe because he hates you,” Chris smirked, finding this amusing and I growled lowly back at him.

“As if you didn’t see any of them, one was on my butt and the other went his own way to hunt you down,” I grunted as Chris hauled me to my feet and I wobbled for a second, shrugging his hand off, “I'm alright.”

“Either way, I think we should go,” he muttered and I hesitantly nodded.

I have no clue where Troy and Peter nicked off to, but as long as they weren’t in my eyesight – Peter especially, I was okay with it.

Slowly making our way back to the front doors, Chris kept his eyes peeled and I did the same. I didn’t trust those two and I knew they would be waiting somewhere to ambush us.

“Remind me whose bright idea this was again?” I mumbled as we rounded the final corner and had the front doors directly in our sights.

Chris opened his mouth, but I cut him off quickly, “I was being sarcastic.”

He chuckled softly as he glanced at the back of my head, “Sax is going to kill me when he sees that.”

“It wasn’t your fault though,” I muttered, winching a little as he reminded me of the throbbing pain again.

“He won’t care about that,” Chris pointed out.

“Yeah...it was nice knowing you,” I smirked.

Chris went to say something back but the sound of what I first thought was a semi trailer truck out of control and heading straight for us from the other side of the doors, cut him off. Both of us immediately froze into place, but Chris was quicker at snapping back to attention and grabbed my arm as he yanked me into the nearest classroom.

Holding one finger up to his lips to tell me silently to shush, I nodded slowly with wide eyes as we crawled along the floor, staying out of sight of the windows and making next to no sounds.

Leaning with my back against the wall and the windows above my head, Chris motioned that he was going to take a look. I watched him as he leaned up until he could gain sight of outside, and then his body went rigid.

Trying to shake his arm to get his attention, I finally gave up as he shrugged me off the first few times and I kneeled up, stretching my neck to see what was going on outside. I knew by now that it was no train coming our way and when my eyes made it over the windowsill, I gasped.

Wolves.

Tons of wild and feral wolves were pacing back and forth out the front on the schools grass, only two of them looked out of place though – Peter and Troy, but they didn’t worry me as much as the sight of the one standing up front.

The one who we spent a long time hunting down.

The one who always manages to get away every time he is within grasp.

My mate’s enemy.

 Lefty.

 ~~~

Yeah, I know this is a bit short (even though this is 7 pages on word...grrr), but it was either this now or something longer in over a weeks’ time. I'm leaving on hol’s first thing tomorrow morning and won’t be coming back until Thurs – clearly I won’t have a chap ready on Thurs, but sometime after that when I get it written up.

And yeah, about the cliff-hanger...my bad =) lol

If you want to message me for any reason – PM it please, since I get the feeling my wall is going to become a spamming zone [thanks Girls, I love you all! NOT haha...Pumpkin, I also expect progress for our wedding day ;-) ]

Cheers everyone and I’ll be back online in about a week.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

290K 12.2K 25
(This is a boyxboy story. If you do not like that kind of thing, then you know what to do...LEAVE. I will not tolerate any discrimination or any insu...
36.3K 3.4K 22
Mark is settling into the Pride Eleven years after his Turn, but things are never as they appear, shadows from the past are beginning to emerge into...
15.3K 681 65
"I, Alpha Dylan Langley, Alpha of the waterside pack Reject you, Esme West pack member of waterside west to be my mate and Luna" On Esme's 18th birth...
2.6M 30.5K 31
Bella and Edward are living peacful after their fight with the Volturi. But a visit from the Denali's is going to change that. How is Bella going to...