Superhero Crash Course

Por denareez

Highest: #2 in adventure "My second question is what should my name be?" I raised my brows. "What? You... Mais

Intro, Copyright, WARNING
P l a Y l i s T
1- Elsa saved my life
2- It could be Caitlin for all I know
3- Something science-y, cool, and cold
4- She throws nice uppercut
5- Roasted, Literally
6- Your math skill could have killed you
7- 2 min 58 sec
8- Don't get blood on my skate shoes
9- The grey area
10- Peter lost his shoe
11- Missing case: Casey Dunne
12- Like Brotherz like Zizzter
13- Pjs make the best supersuit
14- Break out of your shell!
15- Snowfall
16- Little girl playing pretend
17- War and Peace
18- Mask on. Hood up.
19- Kaboom
20- Life through a toilet paper roll
21- Take off the mask, then
22- Sidekick starter pack
23- Powerless but fine
24- Scars remain
-DIGITAL ART-
25- Counterpart
27- 1- Failsafe? More like Failed Save.
27-2- Failsafe? More like Failed Save.
28- Faking death is in nowadays
29- A Fall in Summer
29.5- B L I N K (short)
-COMIC-
30- They don't guard the windows though
Epilogue
Prologue
Bonus I- Freeze! It's the police!
Bonus II - Alternate universe
-CHARACTER ART I -
-CHARACTER ART II-
ART- Them ships be sailing
NEW SCC ART
Reuploading SCC

26- Were, Still Are, and Always Will Be

3.8K 256 154
Por denareez

I have been getting some comments about Les's name since it's quite uncommon. His full name is Leicester.  Yes. The actual place name. The meaning is grey castle. I think the vibe kinda suit his character.

And hey the nickname is adorable lol

For the debate over his hair color...Jamie stated in Chapter two that it's light brown (or dark blonde. Pretty much the same.) unless affected by his power like Jamie's case.

Hopes that cleared it up XD

PS. Ranked at 23 in Adventure??? OMG TYSM!!

-Ida

Chapter 26- Were, Still Are, and Always Will Be

"So, what next?" I asked my aunt as she typed away on her computer, passing her a tissue box because she was about to drown her keyboards with her tears and electrocute us both.

"Cloudburst and Tornado are interrogating the manipulated supers. We got the chips out except for Chameleon. That one is already a villain." She replied, blue light shone on her face. "I'm trying to locate the source of the wave. We'll brief everyone about a plan when those 2 got the information we need."

"Do you need any help?" I asked carefully, realizing how upset she still was about her fiance's rash behaviors.

"Rest until your power is fully back, Jamie." She said softly, pinching her nose bridge. "And keep watch on Les, will you? He seems a bit disturbed since he came back."

"I could tell."

That's a great idea. I felt a little out of place here wandering around by myself.

My Aunt nodded wearily. "So, are you happy Jack Frost is him?"

"That's not an easy question." I chuckled. "I'm losing them both."

"Did you get it right?" She asked softly. "All these time working with him."

"My instinct screamed it's Les." I confessed. "But I didn't think I would be that lucky. I think—I kinda took a guess that I just think it's him because I want it to be him."

A week ago, the idea of Les flirting with me was so foreign that I cut him out of the possible candidates.

"That means you're happy it's him. Are they that different?" She asked. "I know Les is way more reckless as Cryonics."

"There's a slight change. But, to me, it seems quite big." I replied. "Maybe that's because I've known him for a long time."

Cryonics opened up more which was paradoxical since he wore a freaking mask all the time. Les, even without mask, always seemed so distant.

No matter how weird this sounded, Cryonics was not as cold as Les.

"The idea of him being a super sounded too far-fetched. It's—hard to imagine. That's why I deemed that theory impossible so many times." I added. "Despite my gut feelings and my hope."

She leaned back in her chair. "So, he finally told you, huh?"

"That he's Cryonics? I thought you knew. The scar, remember?"

"No." Her lips held the slightest hint of smile. "Not that part. I'm an author, Jamie. I could tell there's something going on between—"

"Is that a shot in the dark? I'm not giving you the reaction you want to see." I smiled back. "I better go find him before he break something. You know what Les's like."

"You kids inspire me to write a book." She sighed, shouting after me. "The best friend cliche always works, Jamie. Everyone loves that."

"I call 50% for being the inspiration."

I found Les standing in the middle of a round room after wasting some time getting lost in this maze of doors.

There was glass wall dividing the room into halves. Cryonics's faded reflection on the glass stood as still as a statue. The shadow cast under his dark blue mask, making him appear more intimidating than ever. The mayor was sitting on a couch behind the glass wall, looking a little too cozy for a man in confinement. Even though in his mid-fortieth, he looked a lot older. 

I was impressed he didn't look even a tad fazed by the super in front of him who could probably kill him in split second. 

"Thought you'd never visit, Cryonics. Take a seat of you don't mind sitting on the floor." He greeted in a mock formality manner, motioning with his hands as if he was inviting Cryonics good-naturally to sit on an invisible leather couch.

"Nah, I'm good." Cryonics replied. "Titan doesn't like the classic interrogation but you wouldn't talk to him so I decided the good cop should let the bad cop take over for a bit."

"What do you want? To be the hero of the truth? To drag me to the jail and watch me rot in there?" The mayor asked almost boringly as if Cryonics were an immature kid left unsupervised and didn't know what he was doing.

Which I halfheartedly agreed with him.

"Those are definitely on my bucket list for later. Now, I need you to tell me what you know." Cryonics said.

"Know about what?" The mayor asked back, unfazed. "I'm the victim here, lad. My wife died. I have nothing left but my daughter and those bastards took her. I did what I had to do."

"And that justified you to ruin the lives of everyone else on the city, I presume? What are the conditions?" Cryonics tilted his head to one side. I knew he hated Rocestor but I never knew he resented the man this much. I highly doubted Cryonics would refuse to comply with the villains had they gotten their hands on his little sister.

"Develop the chemical that can stop superheroes from getting into their way. Order the police off the cases related to their plans. Kill you." The mayor said, walking over to the glass wall, placing his hands on the glass wall.

"That's why we are facing the same threat again. Hypno's really dead. You created another monster." Cryonics concluded. "But the thing is I'm quite sure the place where Hypno and Coldfront's battle took place was heavily bombed 4 years ago, killing them both. 9 citizens died and the bodies were never found."

"It was the unavoidable collateral damage, lad. That super was highly dangerous. He posted serious threat to everyone in the world." The mayor replied, standing up straight. "It was my responsibility to eliminate him."

"So you sent the drones." Cryonics concluded, anger visible in his eyes, sending the message to the mayor to choose his next word carefully or else. "How did you collect Hypno's body in 1 piece since everyone else turned to ash. More specifically, why did you have an interest to preserve his body when you knew what's he capable of doing?"

The mayor looked at Cryonics with blank expression. "I never said I did that. I have no interest in preserving cold dead body. I don't know why you are falsely accusing me of that."

"Harmonia was still safe in the city hall at that time so I guessed it wasn't the threat that compelled you to do that but greed. You must have had this plan for a long time but lacked the disposable pawns to carry out the actions. That's why you sought help from the villains." Cryonics continued on without listening, pacing around the room. "But they betrayed you and kidnapped Harmonia, making you their pawn yourself. Words of advice, there's no honor among thieves, Rocestor."

"I only confessed to sending the drones and aiding them in exchange for Harmonia's safety." The old man protested. "But I get to save my daughter in the end. That's all I care about. You would have done the same if it was your little sister they kidnapped."

Cryonics stopped walking. Without the sound of his boots clapping the floor, the room was filled with complete silent.

How did he know?

The mayor grinned victoriously even though he was the one on the wrong side of the glass wall. "Cryonics, eh? I thought the suit looks familiar. Coldfront's son, I suppose? " He said, tapping his index finger on the glass wall. I remember well, Leicester.  A little boy crying over his father's corpse who apparently could save people but not some time for his family.

Mr. Logan was Coldfront

"You know I have your confession here ready to be sent to the police station. Millions of connections can't save a man who killed himself with his own words." Cryonics said darkly, turning his back to the mayor and walked toward the door. All the colors had left his face. He looked like a white plaster statue—or rather porcelain. Ready to break any second now.

"I know your identity, boy. Also, I know that super girl who made appearance recently is actually your friend, Miss Devlin." The mayor asked. "You won't be around to protect her forever. Even 3 years would be lucky. You can bash me all you want. Just keep in mind you should arrange safety program for everyone you know before you die."

Les was in front of the glass wall in a flash. His fists pounded on the wall and frost traveled up the transparent surface. The loud bang echoed throughout the room. So much for not letting Titan know about this.  "There're three things that are keeping you alive at this moment. Titan's policy, your daughter, and my patience! He's not here to stop me and I think your daughter is better off without you." He growled. "Lastly, if I were you, I wouldn't test my patience.

The mayor observed the ice on the surface of the glass. "For once I feel lucky to be behind this goddamn wall even though I'm the winner here." He said. "I suggest you go find the real baddie in the real world instead of the one in your own book."

"The wall is here just because Titan doesn't want me to turn suspects into ice blocks." Les threatened.

I was impressed the mayor still had the gut to speak up again. "You are no better than me, boy. You became a hero just so you can avenge your father. Family issue, you see? Was it my confession you sought for your entire life? You got my confession and so what? This town is about to perish as you comes barking up the wrong tree because of your grudge. Great job, hero!"

Les winded his fist back as if to shatter the glass. Ice formed a giant shield over his hands. I quickly dashed inside and caught his fist before it could make contact with the glass. Fire in my hands thawed the ice. Water vapor gathered on the glass wall.

"What the—." He turned around sharply, readied to attack. When he realized it was just me, his tone softened. "Flare?"

"It's not worth it. He's the real loser here anyway. You don't have to prove that." I whispered.

I turned to the mayor before speaking in frigid voice I could barely recognize to be my own. "He's your best chance to save your daughter but you may have thrown that chance away just to get satisfaction in insulting a kid. You're still not a hero even in your daughter's eyes, not even a great role model. I hope you're happy."

That silenced him.

However, as paradoxical as it may sounded, a tiny piece of my heart ached for the man's losses. His wife. His daughter. His judgement must be clouded when he made the decision to sell everyone in the town.

Also, the way he denied his plan on using Hypno's super power to force everyone to succumb to his control indicated he was actually telling the truth.

I felt something tugging at my heart the entire time I dragged Les out of the room still wearing the smug facade. However, in truth, crimson mask on my face couldn't hide the fact that I was on the verge of crying.

I practically ran, not really knowing what I was trying to run from. That malicious criminal who showed no compunction about the crimes he committed or the truth about Coldfront's identity. 

We stopped in front of the infirmary. Me catching my breath and him leaning his back on the wall, head hung low and arm crossed.

"Well, you saved me from Titan's lecture for killing a suspect in custody." He muttered, his voice wavering. "But how much did you hear?"

"Everything." I confessed softly. "I'm sorry." 

"As in for all those things happening to me or for eavesdropping?" He asked, taking off the mask wearily. His blue eyes held hint of anything but the serenity they always shown.

Still waters run deep.

I berated myself for failing to acknowledge his feelings earlier just because of his placid manner. 

Actually, for every foolish things I've done. Now that I know everything he did was for my own good, I couldn't help but felt like hating myself for being his burden.

"Both. And also for what happened 4 years ago or during. Coldfront pulled me out of the wreckage. Your father saved my life. Yet, I acted as if you owed me an apology just for wanting some much needed space after what happened. It was hard for you and I barely acknowledged that. I was just too selfish and I acted like an ignorant brat. I'm sorry." My words flew out of my mouth simultaneously to my tears welling up at the corners of my eyes. 

Cold front and Hypno's fight wasn't something I would forget easily since I had witnessed it with my own eyes. I was trapped under large jagged concrete piece, peeking through metal bars protruding randomly out of the cement surface.

"This is why I don't want you to know, Jay." Les rested his hands on my shoulders. "Something cannot be unheard and no matter how many times I repeat to you that my father's death is not your fault, you would never allow yourself to believe that."

I remember the funeral. The gravestone didn't even held the real description of the man Norman Logan was. No recognition of his goodness. Just a plain funeral. His death deemed to be from the fire accident which was right in a way. It just wasn't the whole truth.

In the end, superheroes die alone. No one would ever know who they actually were to the world.

And perhaps they might never get justice despite working on serving them to other people their entire life.

That's something not written down in the job description.

"You've got that monster's confession." I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "He won't get away with that. We can get justice for your father."

"I hate to accept it just now but it's impossible to get justice to an anonymous dead man." Les squeezed my shoulders. "To the world, he is Norman Logan, an engineer with oil grease on his shirt who occasionally saved cats that got stuck in trees--sometimes even attempted saving squirrels. They see what they believe to be right in their point of views."

That's true.

People, most of the time, are blinded by their own belief of things and also another belief that they're always right. That's why we only see what we want to see and heroes can hide their secret identity for years. A hero could be standing right next to us the entire time but we choose to overlook him just because he doesn't seem like one.

I didn't even suspect Les even though he deserves that title years ago.

Even without power, that mask, super suit, and superhero's ridiculously perfect quiff.

"I wasn't on good term with my dad 2 years before--you know--" He continued. "He would hardly be home. He made mom and Gale upset whenever the TV broadcasts Coldfront fighting criminals and saving the day. It was never superhero movie for the 3 of us. Just thriller."

"I understand." Seeing Cryonics getting shot and falling off the building that night had given me a taste of that experience. Knowing he is actually Les wold have forced more reaction from me.

Gale and his mother probably experience that on daily basis.

"At one point I asked him to stop this whole double life thing." Les raked his fingers through his dishevelled hair. " I accused him of prioritizing strangers over his own family. It was ruining our family but he didn't listen to me. I didn't even know why would he go through all the troubles when there's other superheroes already."

"Didn't?" 

"It wasn't even my plan to gain this super villain title. I'd rather be off the radar--to look further into my father's case. Call me a hypocrite but the day Cryonics made appearance and got you out of that bus, I realized I cannot simply sit back and watch the whole ordeals happen when I know full well I could possibly stop it. " He chuckled dryly, tilting his head to one side and crossing his arms. "Would I be okay with a superhero leaving my family or you behind to save other people?"

"There." I whispered, quoting Cryonics's saying earlier. "You got the hero part down, kid. The super part can wait."

"Did you really just say that to an unpredictable super villain, Jamie?" He feigned surprised. "Anyway, that's one of the two reasons I put on Coldfront's suit and became Cryonics."

"Will I get to know the another reason?" I asked, watching his lips curving into a small smile.

"I missed you." He said casually for the second time that week, apparently still oblivious to the impact that short sentences had on me. Leave it to Les to say sentimental things like this and manage to make it sound as casual as a simple 'Good morning'.

"I know Les Logan is supposed to stay away from you but Cryonics can still be friend with you. He can act like the best friend Les is supposed to be." He replied slowly, his grayish blue eyes stared into mine sincerely. "I thought if I could have things back to the way they were with you, even only when I was Cryonics, Les wouldn't go back to you."

I waited for him to continue. Les, like other guys, rarely spoke about things like this. When he started to open up to me about his feelings at Mistwood, I could see his high wall slowly crumbling down until it just vanished into thin air after what happened today.

"I was an idiot to think that would work when I'm still the same person. Feelings don't go away when you change egos. It certainly didn't help me forget them at all when I got to talk to you everyday--like before." A small chuckle escaped his mouth. "Both Clark Kent and Superman like Lois Lane. But, unlike him, neither of my alter egos could get too close to you."

I felt heat prickling at the corner of my eyes when the whole truth was finally given. "I wouldn't have it any other way, Les." I whispered back to him.

"Ditto." His head hung low and his ruffled hair hid half of his face from my sight but I could place that dimple decorating his half smile under the shadow. "You were the first person I wanted to tell when I got my power."

"Cloudburst! Tornado! Cryonics! Flare! The meeting room, now!" Aunt Casey shouted into the intercom, making me jump. 

Les sighed and put the mask back on, once again concealing his identity. "I really hope this situation would be over. Fast. Let's go."

"So you were trying to replace yourself with another you with mask and cool hairstyle?" I asked as we walked along the hallway decorated with orange lights toward a big wooden door at the very end. "You asked me to spy on yourself. Was that just to confuse me?"

"Hey, my hair's always cool." He feigned offended. "There was time I wanted you to know so I kind of hoped you would find out yourself by dropping hints here and there." He admitted. "Since Les couldn't tell you anything. Heck. He couldn't even talk to you without feeling guilty. The whole role play thing was corrupting me."

In retrospect, I should have known Cryonics was someone close since the day Mochi didn't attack him on the roof, actually.

All I had to do if I noticed that was narrow down the names of people Mochi let approach it within 3 meters perimeters.

Which I would be left with me, my aunt, my parents, Gale, and Les. And I highly doubted my dad would be him.

"You have no idea how relieved I was when you didn't throw fireball at me after knowing the truth." He sighed in relief dramatically like a little kid getting dismissed from the principal office when he thought he was going to get a detention for sure.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because without this," He tapped his dark blue mask. "I'm just me. Not heroic, failing Social Study class--and did I mention coach just kicked me out of the candidate shortlist this year after that stunt I pulled last time I skated? Whatever you picture Cryonics to be like, I didn't want to ruin that."

"I'm glad he's you and no one else. I couldn't be happier my super friend and my superfriend are the same person."

"I see what you did there, Kara Danvers." He chuckled, putting an arm around my shoulders and sang the song in a way that you'd thought he intentionally tried to avoid hitting the right notes. "I'm your super friend. I'll be there in the nick of time--"

I once told him that all the girls that had a crush on him would all change their minds if he sang in front of them. 

That was only partly true since I had heard him singing countless times, actually.

"Don't sing." I nudged him in the rib playfully. "I don't care if you can't shoot ice out of bare hands or--or- lost in a skate tournament. I don't care if you got an F in Social Study class--I mean I do care, in a way. We definitely will have a serious talk about your grades and your future after this but you know what I mean--"

"Wow, okay." Les nodded, clearly amused by me. "Grades before superhero duties. Got it, Miss Devlin."

I squeezed his hands and looked up at him, trying to look grave serious because I really was but being around Les made it 3 times more difficult to do that.

"I don't give a damn about what other think. Hear me when I say this, Les; you were, still are, and always will be my hero. Don't ever think otherwise." 

That was when a very rare phenomenon occurred. Les blushed but he tried to pass it off as a result of the broken air conditioner.

Liar.

His body temperature is 2 times lower than that of average human being.

Unless we were standing in Sahara desert, he wouldn't even feel warmness.
- - - -

A/N If you got the super friend reference, I love you lol

Now, here's some of the doodles I did. Best viewed on computer screen or iPad.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

271K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...
8.9K 791 58
Someone stole the Weeping Widow. The priceless artwork is gone, ripped from its place on the wall and leaving only broken glass behind. The pride of...
63 10 10
As the saying goes, 'Not all heroes wear capes,' and in the case of Chloé Godoy, the statement had never been more true. The promiscuous, twenty four...
448 44 19
****IN EDITING**** Liza was used to living in the shadows. By day she works in the cafe on the corner of 6th and Main Street. But by night, she lays...