Cimmerian Sunrise

By IsisMcEllen

"There has been an accident." With those five words Breanne Crabtree's world is dashed to pieces. Before she... More

Prologue - **REVISED**
Chapter 1 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 2 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 3 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 4 pt. 1 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 4 pt. 2 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 4 Pt. 3 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 5 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 6 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 8 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 9 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 10 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 11 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 12 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 13 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 14 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 15 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 16 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 17 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 18 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 19 - *** REVISED ***
Chapter 20 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 21 - ***Revised***
Chapter 22 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 23 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 24 - ***REVISED***
Chapter 25 - ***REVISED***
***Preview of the following story***

Chapter 7 - ***REVISED***

9.7K 564 46
By IsisMcEllen

The tension flowed through the supping room in a current strong as a river. Breanne had prepared a meal of boiled potatoes, ham, and cabbage. It was the best she could do under the circumstances. She looked around the table, self-conscious about her first efforts at cooking a meal. The sound of forks clinking against plates, cups slamming back to the table; and chewing was about all that could be heard in the room. Breanne took up her own fork. The ham, which she'd found already smoked and wrapped in brown paper in one of the parcels, flavored the potatoes and the cabbage nicely; but after a few bites, she discovered that the boiling hadn't heated it all the way through. She sighed quietly, staring at her own plate as the others continued to eat.

"So, Lady Torrington," Glenda began, breaking the awkward silence. "Would ye' be so kind as to tell us all how ye' met my son?"

Breanne looked at Torrington's mother, grateful for the prospect of having conversation, yet suddenly feeling as uncomfortable as ever since all occupants at the table paused and focused all attention upon her. Breanne cleared her throat and took a quick sip of wine from her glass before responding.

"Please, call me Breanne. We met upon a ship," she answered, glancing about the table. Picking up a linen napkin, she dabbed the corners of her mouth. "I was departing from a holiday in the Colonies and happened to meet him on my return to England."

"Ah," replied Glenda, staring into the flickering candlelight. "Adam did love to travel. He told me that one day he would take me on a trip across the Atlantic," she reminisced, wistfully. Her thick hair was tied back into a low knot, barely brushing her shoulders. The candlelight cast a beautiful glow to her features, and she stared into the flame as she spoke.

Flecks of gold brightened her eyes, again, reminding Breanne of Adam. Glenda appeared to be in her mid-fifties with light streaks of silver woven in throughout her hair, and was still quite attractive. It was easy to see that the woman must have been a great beauty in her younger years.

"Yes," Breanne replied. "We both loved the idea of traveling. We'd planned to take a grand trip together just before he..." Breanne trailed off, and her eyes dropped to the burgundy floral patterns on the outer rim of the decorative plate; unable to finish the statement. "It's no matter," she finished, shaking her head. "I-"

"Wha' is no matter, lass? That my nephew is dead? Are ye' over his death so quick, then?" Lachlan's rough voice interrupted her thoughts and she paused, glancing from Glenda to him.

"Well," Glenda chimed in, tossing her brother a stern look. "Ye' still may travel. Already ye've seen the far Americas, and it's all the way across the sea you've come to settle here. In time, ye' may yet see all the rest of the world. Don't let loose of yer' dreams, lass."

Breanne quickly glanced at the woman whom she had begun to hope would be her ally. Lachlan, and even Nathair appeared fascinated with their meals and would not meet her eyes. Did Lachlan really believe that she viewed Torrington as of no consequence? She silently vowed to correct his viewpoint the next time she had a private moment with him.

"Yes," she responded, turning to Glenda. "I suppose you are right."

"Why did ye' never want to meet us, in all yer travels?" The question shot out from Colin. She turned her attention to the lanky boy whose size and stature at present already showed that he would grow into a large man. He kept his focus on his plate, twirling the strips of cabbage around with his fork. His hair hung low, covering over his face

"Colin, that's enough."

"No, please, I would really like to respond to him," Breanne told Glenda. She then returned her attention to Colin, who had glanced up at her when she spoke, but immediately stared at his plate when she returned her gaze upon him.

"I am sorry that I haven't had the opportunity to meet you before this moment," she gently replied. "All of you," she amended. "I truly wish I had been able to."

"Ye' never asked to meet us?" Colin inquired. Bracing an elbow on the table, he leaned forward a bit, and Breanne saw at once that he would grow into quite an intimidating man, following in Reese's footsteps.

How was she to tell them that Torrington never told her that he had brothers? She knew that his mother was alive, of course. And though he did say that he had to travel to Scotland on family business, he never mentioned what family or what business he was seeing to. Of course...she hadn't asked either. She thought that he would volunteer information about his family just as she had done, but ultimately, the fault was hers. She would not tell Colin or Reese that Torrington never mentioned them. It would only cause more resentment and conflict within the family. Truth was, she could have taken the opportunity to meet them. If only she'd shared that wish with Torrington, who rarely denied her a thing, she was certain he would have obliged her. But she didn't ask, and for that reason, she was to blame.

Looking Colin straight in the eye, she responded. "I did not inquire about any of you. I am sorry for that, Colin. Perhaps if I had, we would all be civil and comforting one another."

"Reese and I were at the funeral and ye' dinna even look at us," he accused.

"I didn't see you-"

"Ye' didn't look!" he sneered.

"I know," Breanne guiltily replied, staring down at the wilted cabbage on her plate.

"Ye' dinna so much as send a letter to our mother!" he icily continued, quickly standing up.

The sound of his chair clattering to the floor prompted Breanne's head to snap up.

"Colin," Glenda gently chided.

"Nay," he snapped throwing down his napkin in disgust. "Ye' may all be able to pretend as if you can stand the sight o' her, but I canna stomach sittin' doon at a table alongside o' sech as her!"

With that, he stormed away from the table and out of the manor, slamming the door behind him. Silence reigned around the table until Glenda spoke.

"My son's passin' was hard on em', Breanne," she explained. "Please don't take everything he says as a personal affront."

"I understand. I hold no ill will towards Colin," she whispered.

Glenda nodded and briefly glanced at Reese, who remained stonily silent, and then at Lachlan who continued to nibble on ham. He ran his tongue across a couple of protruding teeth, sucking at the meat that had lodged within them. The squeaking noise of him extracting strands of meat from his teeth was the only prevailing sound at that moment.

Glenda sighed. "I suppose this dinner did not turn out as expected."

Breanne's mouth quirked softly. "It went better than I thought it would."

Glenda smiled in response and Breanne thought she saw a hint of amusement light Reese's eyes. Glenda slowly stood up from the table, placing her napkin next to her plate, prompting Arianna to stand as well.

Lachlan then rose, belching as he used a pinky finger to pull more meat from a couple of teeth. Breanne looked away, revolted, completely unaccustomed to such manners; or lack thereof. Her eyes slid to Nathair, who watched her, expressionless. His lack of any emotion was unsettling. Tearing her eyes away from him, she sent a questioning glance to Glenda.

"I must go and see to Colin," Glenda explained. Breanne quickly nodded in understanding.

"Breanne, I wonder if you might allow Arianna to help you around the place, if need be. I'm afraid you may have more use of her than I do presently. It must be pretty lonely here, by yourself."

Breanne opened her mouth to object.

"She would appreciate the 'elp," Reese answered for her.

Breanne turned to glower at him.

"Isn't that so, milady?" he asked, mockingly.

Curses upon him! The man had just made it impossible for her to deny the statement. What was she to say, that it wasn't so? It was bad enough that the family held a poor view of her, she didn't need more problems.

Reese raised an eyebrow, while Glenda waited expectantly to hear her response.

She smiled at her, "Of course I would love to have her assistance," she responded properly, "though I do hate to deprive you of it. If I need help, I'll be sure to let you know." As soon as Reese heard her response he stood up, grabbed plates, and walked into the kitchen.

Glenda waved a hand in the air dismissing her comment. "I 'ave more help than I know what to do with, lass. Reese supervises the whole of the land, and since Lachlan has given 'im free reign, he has allowed others to settle upon it. It's many 'old 'im in 'igh esteem, and it's 'im they seek if they lack fer sustenance or guidance or 'elp. 'Im they turn to if they're in the way o bein' in need at all. We 'ave become like as one family. I'm sure it's many men and women too would be happy to assist ye'. Send word and Reese will take care of it. Our men are never lazy. Reese would'na stand fer it."

"Wha' about me?" Lachlan grumbled.

"Aye, ye' help me eat the food, Lachlan," Glenda replied, chuckling softly, and then turned to Breanne. "I'll be sendin' Arianna over as soon as I hear ye' need her, lass."

"Thank you," Breanne replied. Glenda, Lachlan and Nathair walked towards the front door and Breanne took the opportunity to speak privately with Arianna, who'd kept silent during the whole dinner. "You are not obligated to help me, you know. If at any time you are sent here and wish to return to your mistress, please do. I do not wish to cause problems."

Arianna smiled, her hazel eyes twinkling. Breanne noted that it lit up her whole face; she was quite beautiful. "It seems ye' 'ave already caused a bit of it."

Breanne blinked, causing Arianna to laugh. "It is no trouble, milady," she responded, and then followed Lachlan and Glenda out of the keep.

Breanne stared at the door, then turned and plopped into her chair, placing a hand on her right temple. Lord, she had a headache. She had just sat through the most uncomfortable dinner of her life. It obviously had to happen at some point, and she refused to believe that it would not happen again, for she was sure that it would. It had to. Nothing had been settled. It felt as if no one wanted to speak and as soon as Glenda broke the silence with her polite conversation, all havoc broke loose.

She sighed, shaking her head. "Is it hopeless? Why was I obliged to come to this place? Why here?"

"I've asked myself that very question." Reese's deep-timbered, rough voice caused her to slightly start. She had forgotten that he was still in the manor, yet there he was, standing in the entryway to the kitchen.

"This manor was to stay in our family," he emphasized. "It was not to be passed along to any outsider. Ye' English believe that ye' can take what doesna belong to ye', consequences be damned! Ye' burnt us out of our homes, killed women and children while we 'ave served in yer' wars! Now, here we are, sent away from our homeland and settled in a new one. We've worked, at all costs to stay 'ere, in our new home. I 'aven't worked hard to make sure this 'ome isn't swiped from under me feet so ye' can swoop into this keep!"

"I realize that my English lineage is revolting to you, however-"

"Aye, it is revolting," he admitted grimly, occupying the seat across from her. "I canna abide by yer' lack of manners, nor yer' shallow disposition. Regardless, this manor was to stay only in the immediate family, lass. Your English descent plays no part in that fact."

"I'm sorry," Breanne replied, shaking her head and holding up a hand as she tried to sort it all out. "Did you say that I lack manners?"

"Aye."

"Sir, you have been the most ill-mannered person that I have ever met. I have been nothing but kind to you."

"Tell me, were ye' planning on tellin' me mother that you dinna need 'elp?"

Breanne paused, cocking her head slightly. "Well, yes I was going to politely refuse. There was nothing wrong with that. I only -"

"Wrong, lass."

Breanne shook her head. "I will not debate this subject with you. I simply will not. Think what you will. You say that I am shallow, that I haven't any manners--let me tell you something. I do not care what you think of me. I have been through too much to--"

"What 'ave ye' been through?"

"Pardon?" Breanne asked, caught off guard.

Reese leaned back in the wooden chair, causing the two front legs to lift up from the floor and regarded her evenly, silently.

Breanne tore her eyes away from him and stared into the fire, smiling sardonically. "You have done nothing but insult me, and yet, you expect me to confide in you?"

Breanne's head snapped to Reese at the sound of the chair legs hitting the floor. She felt her skin prickle and the hair on her arms raise under his quiet regard. His intent, piercing expression was unwavering; his face appeared to be carved out of stone. It felt as if his eyes were trying to strip apart what little barrier she'd put up against the world. After moments of unending silence, he finally spoke.

"I may 'ave been less then friendly to ye', lass, but ye' can confide in me."

"Yes, well I have no need for a confidant. I thank you for your kind offer."

Reese snorted. "Nothin' kind about it, lass, I'm simply offerin' wha' I would to any other member of the family."

Pushing back his chair, he stood up and walked towards the door, only to pause when he stood before the fire. One side of his mouth was raised in a half-smile as he regarded Breanne. "Try not to burn anything else, and fer' the love of God, let someone else cook next time."

Breanne's gasp went unheard as Reese slammed the door shut upon leaving. "Rude beast," she muttered, glaring at the door. "If it was such a horrible meal, why did you eat it?" she retorted hotly, pacing the hall. "I didn't think the food was that bad." Her stomach churned, unsettled, almost as soon as she had spoken.

Perhaps I should rest. After snuffing out the candlelight in the hall, Breanne went upstairs to her room and curled up in bed. She looked up into the sky, staring at the stars. "Nothing has gone the way it should, Torrington. I know that were you here, you would make light of everything. You would do your best to make everyone laugh, to make everyone comfortable." She smiled as the moonlight cast a soft glow on a rogue tear that slowly slid over her cheek. "I miss you, you know. I don't have a place without you. I don't belong anywhere."

Breanne closed her eyes, her lashes rested gracefully for approximately five seconds before they flung open again. Reese said that he would be a confidant for any other member of the family. Any other...that meant...did he, did they view her as family? She shook her head as she lay on the pillow. It was naught but a slip of the tongue. There was no possible way they would view her as such. He'd blatantly contradicted himself with all of his talk of this land going to none other than immediate family members. Their open hostility, and even apathy made it resoundingly clear that she was nothing but an outsider. She was in a place that she did not belong, and was ashamed to admit that her mother was right; she was lonely, and missed them dearly.

One question kept nagging her. Why? Why Australia? She hadn't been aware that he was even in possession of the property. Where did it come from? And if he never mentioned it, could he have possibly been attached to it? And if he was not attached to it, why did he not simply sell it? She wanted to know. The more she thought about it, the more she resolved in her mind to hasten her search for a solicitor and present him with the papers Reese had pressed upon her, question him regarding her inheritance of the land, get straight what all of this was about. Now that she owned the land, she had a right to know all of the business dealings being conducted thereupon. Sighing, she snuggled deeper under the covers. The difficulty would be asking Reese to accompany her.

-------------------------------------------

It was only a matter of time. Oh, she was seen when she arrived in Australia. She had been monitored on every step of her journey thenceforth. It took much self-control not to have her done away with along with her bushman guide before she had come within thirty miles of the colony, just as her husband had been taken care of.

There was no way she would be allowed to stay and foil decades of careful planning. She would not reap where she had not sown. Her time would eventually come. It was a waiting game; that was all it ever had been. Soon everything would go back to the way it should have been in the very beginning.

----------------------------------------------------

Reese relaxed against his chair with a glass of whiskey and watched as a servant, Ferguson, stoked the fire in their massive manor.

"All I'm sayin', Colin, is that you canna go off speakin' to her as you do," Glenda's voice called out.

"Why can't I? I'm thinkin' she deserves to hear wha' I think about her. She is a heartless Englishwoman, and tha' is all she will ever be to me."

"Ye' dinna need to add heartless to your tirade Colin," Reese blandly stated, staring into the fire. "The fact that she is an Englishwoman already makes that trait plain as jobbie on the lavy door."

"Reese!" Glenda rebuked shrilly. Colin grinned broadly and their mother tried and failed to keep her countenance sober.

"Yer laughin', mother. Clearly ye see tis true!" He pinned her with a glaring look and a broad smile.

"Ye'll not haiver me into takin' sides agane the lass!" Glenda huffed, walking over to join Reese. "It would do a lot of good if ye' wouldn't encourage your brother in such a way," she quietly admonished, placing a hand on Reese's thick shoulder. "Ye' are lord of this land. Ye' have worked harder than anyone here. Even before you held such a position, Colin looked up to ye'. Ye' must set the example."

"I know my position," Reese said, firmly. "Colin must become a man in his own right. Who am I to lecture him or tell him wha' to do?"

"That's right," Colin chimed in.

"Shut up, Colin," Reese returned.

Glenda sighed in frustration. "Ye' tell everyone what to do, Reese. Everyone here looks to ye' to make the weighty decisions. Your decisiveness has kept us alive and safe all this time, and the land thriving; so do not tell me ye' don't wish to influence Colin. Truth is, ye' don't want to lecture him because ye' view her as poorly as he does," she said, placing a hand on her hip.

"Ach, the lass isn't tha' bad," Lachlan inserted, "a bit misguided, aye. She should go back to 'er own people."

"So ye' are determined to think ill of her too?" Glenda asked her brother, pursing her lips in disapproval.

"Ah, Glenda. I just don't understand wha' our Adam saw in her. She is a cold fish."

"Aye," Reese agreed.

"Cold fish? In wha' way is she a cold fish? Ye' only just met 'er."

"Takin' up fer' her, eh? Ye' must 'ave appreciated the warmth she showed towards ye' when she wrote to ye' after Adam's funeral," Reese drawled.

"She apologized for nay doing tha' and-"

"Aye, but did she explain why she acted tha' way?" Reese inquired, already knowing the answer. He continued on at his mother's silence. "I've yet to see a display of 'er true feelings."

"Ye' didna get enough of 'er true feelings when she yelled at ye' fer 'mussin her dress in the mud?" Colin asked, chuckling, raising the pitch of his voice to match the supposed primness he mocked.

Lachlan's gruff laugh sounded throughout the room, causing Reese to turn back and raise an eyebrow at him.

"The lass really showed some feelin's then, didn't she?"

"Uncle..." Reese warned.

Lachlan lightly snickered, but wisely closed his mouth.

One of Reese's trusted friends walked into the great room, not bothering to restrain himself as he laughed outright.

"Have you become accustomed to 'avin all yer' teeth, Finlay?" Reese asked the tall blonde Scotsman.

When Colin chuckled, Reese sighed in disgust before continuing on. "Wha' was I supposed to do?" he sent his question into the air, fixing a piercing glare on everyone in the room, warning against a response. "The lass must be touched. That's the only thing that can account fer' her actions; and she does lack feelings," he said, staring at his mother. "Something is wrong with 'er, if when she does try to show some, she acts like a crazed woman. The only time she shows any emotion is when she fiddles like a frightened rabbit when she's nervous, and I'll wager she doesna realize she's doin' it, otherwise she would cover tha' up as well."

Glenda stubbornly crossed her arms, sending a frown to all of the men around her. "I am determined to give her the benefit of the doubt. The poor lass is all alone."

"Pampered lass, more like."

"She is trying Reese, really. The fine meal she cooked this eve was-"

Colin laughed, his eyes sparkling. "Did ye' really think 'er meal fine? The only one able to gobble it down was Uncle, and he eats everything."

"And I was tryin' to get the deed done, I was!" Lachlan said seriously, sitting up from his slouched position. "The ordeal needed to be over quick."

All of the men in the house laughed. Glenda smiled, but shook her head at all of them. "Well, there was a reason our Adam married 'er. All cannot be as it seems. As soon as she warms up to us, I'm sure she will explain 'er actions."

"I wish I could be as confident as ye' mother, but I canna," Reese stated, coming to his feet. "I doubt the spoiled lassie is accustomed to explaining 'erself to anyone."

"All she needs is a friend. Then she will open up and all will be well," Finlay inserted, leaning against the wall.

"Nay, I've offered to hear 'er explanations, to listen to 'er troubles. She is not interested in friends, nor family."

Glenda looked into the fire, struggling to find some way to come to the girl's aid. Dawning finally lit her eyes. "I have it," she said, excitedly. "Introduce 'er to Sarah."

"You cross the line mother, and Finlay if you continue to laugh your smile will become similar to Lachlan's."

"Me smile's not tha' bad," Lachlan said, grinning as he pointed to some empty spaces. "Wha' say ye' boy, ye' wanna look more like bonny me?"

Finlay shook his head, still smiling. "I can 'elp her," he casually offered, shrugging one bulky shoulder. Truth was, women, both Aboriginal and Scots, chased after Finlay almost as much as they sought after Reese. In fact, his name meant 'fair warrior.' He had proven himself to be one of Reese's most trusted friends. He also took offense to anyone calling him fair, which Reese took great pleasure in doing upon occasion.

Reese fixed Finlay with a hard look. "Stay away from 'er. She doesna need yer' kind of 'elp.'

Finlay grinned.

"Wha' is wrong with introducin' 'er to Sarah?" Glenda stubbornly inquired.

"She would tear Breanne to shreds," Colin interjected. "If Sarah finds out that she 'as more competition for Reese-"

"Cease your foolishness," Reese snapped. "Yer' beginnin' to sound like a woman."

Colin offered an easy smile, unfazed.

"An Englishwoman," Reese clarified.

Colin immediately scowled.

"She'll 'ave to meet Sarah at some point, Reese," Lachlan told him.

Reese took a sip of his whiskey. "Aye, she probably will at the party."

Glenda nodded and smiled, "I almost forgot about that. Workin' under Mr. Greenway did ye' a lot of good, Reese. Many will be honored to meet ye' after all the work you put into building the colonies here, and Sarah will also be there. Well then, that settles that, don't it? I'm off to bed. Colin, remember wha' I said now."

The chatter faded to the background as Reese watched the flames in the hearth lick the logs. It was only a matter of time before his brother's troublesome widow would run back to England. She had not a clue what she was doing. Reese exhaled as he took another sip of his whiskey. The sooner she went home the better, for everyone.

------------------------------

A/N: ***REVISED*** PLEASE NOTE: New readers, this novel is going through major revision. If you do NOT see the word "revised" along with the chapter title, it means that portion of the text has not yet been updated to reflect the altered plot points. Read such chapters at your own risk. Chapters marked "REVISED" have been updated and are perfectly safe to read. :)

Long time, beautiful, precious readers: Please reread the revised chapters as they come out. I know that I am testing your patience (hopefully not beyond the breaking point); but these "new old" chapters pave the way for the ending of the story, and the continued series. So, if you skip the re-read, you may wind up frustrated and confused. Thank you SO MUCH for your continual love and faithful readership!

(This note will accompany each of the revised chapters, until the book is complete.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187 0 24
Three days pass after the accident but then being forced to tell her two brothers & sister unexpectedly due to her girlfriend's paranoia... Everyone...
155K 4K 91
Being Framed for the crime she didn't commit , her marriage breaks down and she loses everything she ever had . No one believes her even her husband...
134K 4.7K 36
You are Alexandra McKenzie. The sole heir to a multi-billion dollar enterprise. You're the typical privileged young adult who would rather spend your...
11K 285 40
CAMILLA WALTERS finds herself on the outside of ALEXI CARRERO's world after he sets her loose. Following a dramatic end to their roller coaster relat...