MY PRETEND WIFE

By tita-faye

Richard was a self confessed playboy while Maine was your regular girl. In spite of their differences they ha... More

The Ultimatum
Dilemma
Daydreams
The Proposal
Decisions
Revelations
Meet the Parents
The Mother in Law
A Mother's Mischief
If The Shoe Fits
Kiss
Mixed Feelings
Sealed
The Wedding Night
Tuscan Honeymoon
Belle Coppie
Anima Gemella
Married Life
Confession
Mother-Daughter Conspiracy
The Separation
Before Goodbye
Sleepless Night
Date in the Park
A Misunderstanding
Epiphany
Reunited
No More Barriers
Hearty Breakfast
A Promise
Consummation of Love
EPILOGUE: Ever After

Yes

11.3K 673 20
By tita-faye

Richard rested his hands lightly on the steering wheel as he maneuvered his car along the mid-morning traffic. Last night was an addition to the sleepless nights he's endured since his mom decided to turn his life upside down. He ran his hands through his hair. He was exhausted and every muscle in his body screamed for sleep. He was wide awake on his bed thinking about Maine's possible answer. All this waiting was killing him. He knew that he had to be patient but he can't help but feel restless. Part of him wanted her to say no. As her friend, he knew that she deserved better than what he was offering. But there was a big part of him that hoped that she would say yes. Not because it would finally solve his problem with his mother but because he knew that she was the best person to go through this with him. She was his best friend after all.

He stopped his car at a red light and as he waited for the light to turn green, he spotted the huge Tiffany and Co. store at the corner. This gave him an idea. As soon as the traffic lights changed color, he moved forward and tried to look for a parking space. A few minutes later, he found himself standing in front of the massive display window of the popular jewelry store. He gazed at the sparkling gems and intricate jewelry that were tastefully showcased. This is crazy RJ, he admonished himself. Maine hasn't even given her answer yet. But it never hurts to be prepared, just in case.

With a deep breath he reached for the door handle and let himself inside the store. Once inside, he scoured at the display cases tentatively, unsure of how to proceed next.

"Good morning sir, may I help you?" One of the salespersons behind the counter asked him with a gentle smile.

Richard smiled back. "I was hoping you could show me some rings." He inquired.

"Are you looking for a particular ring sir?" The salesperson asked as she led him to a display case filled with glittering rings.

"Um, I'm looking for a diamond ring." he said embarrassingly.

The salesperson smiled as she took out a tray of fine diamond rings and set it on the glass counter for him to see. "We have different kinds of engagement rings sir. Would you have an idea of what she would prefer?"

Richard was silent for a moment. He had no idea what Maine would want.

"Sometimes it helps if you describe her. What are her likes and dislikes?" The salesperson suggested with an encouraging smile.

"She's a very simple girl." he spoke up after a while. "She hates frills and ostentatious things. She loves walks on the beach, watching the sunset and gazing at the stars. She likes to curl up with a good book during rainy days and drinking hot chocolate when the weather's cold" Richard couldn't help but smile as he continued to describe Maine. "She's a hopeless romantic, still believes in fairytales at her age. She cries while watching dramas and smiles at the smallest things."

"Looks like you know her quite well sir." The salesperson commented.

"She's my best friend." Richard admitted.

"Judging from the way you described her, I think she would like this one." The salesperson recommended as she showed him a 1 carat emerald cut diamond ring that was set in a thin platinum band. Richard took the ring and examined it. The beautiful stone glittered against the light. It was classic and elegant, void of embellishments but with a touch of whimsical flair. It reminded him so much of Maine.

"I'll take it." Richard decided after a few seconds.

"Good choice sir." The salesperson said as she took the ring and placed it inside a blue jewelry box. After paying for his purchase, he thanked the girl and headed out of the store with the small jewelry bag in his hand. As he was walking towards his car, his phone rang.

"Hello" He answered after the second ring.

"RJ" Maine's voice was heard on the other line.

Richard stopped on his tracks as soon as he heard Maine's voice. "Maine" He said as he waited for her to continue.

"I'm ready to give you my answer" she said.

Richard could feel his heart speeding up. This is it. The rest of his life is hanging on to Maine's decision.

"Although, I have some things that I want to discuss with you." Maine continued. "Would it be okay to meet you tonight?"

"Tonight sounds fine. Why don't you meet me at my place at around 6pm?" he suggested.

"Okay, see you then." she said.

"I'll see you later" Richard whispered. He checked his watch. It was only 10:30 am. He still had to endure 7 ½ more hours of torturous waiting. He was supposed to head to the office and get some papers done but Richard knew that it would be impossible for him to concentrate. He let out a sigh as he entered his car. This was going to be a long day.

Later that afternoon, Richard stared out of the window lost in thoughts. He was sitting behind his work desk while his mother was rattling off instructions for the upcoming event that they would be having. Richard checked his watch for the hundredth time that day.

"Time will not speed up even if you watch it the whole day." His mother remarked bringing him out of his reverie. He blushed in embarrassment on being caught.

"I'm sorry. You were saying?" Richard asked as he straightened himself out and forced himself to concentrate on what his mother was saying.

"Is there something wrong? Your eyes have been glued to the clock since you arrived this morning." His mother commented.

"Everything is fine mom, don't worry about me" he assured her.

Richard's mother looked at him for a moment but thankfully let the subject drop. He let out a sigh of relief as he listened to his mother continue talking about caterers and seating arrangements.

Just as they were wrapping up, his mother spoke up again. "RJ, I trust that you are considering my suggestion?" She asked. She was talking about her ultimatum of course. Richard wanted to laugh at his mother's choice of words. He would hardly call it a suggestion given that he does not really have any choice with the matter.

"I'm working on it" he said as he thought about Maine again.

"Good." His mother said with a satisfied smile on her face. "I hope I get to meet her soon."

"Of course mom" Richard answered his mother as he wiped off the beads of sweat that were forming on his forehead.

His mother stood up and gathered her purse. "I'm off to a meeting with a prospective donor for the event. It's already 4:30 pm. Why don't you head home and rest. You had your head above the clouds the entire day."

Richard arrived at his place at 5pm. He placed the jewelry bag on the table and headed towards the bathroom to take a shower. It had been a stressful day and he wanted to look refreshed for his meeting with Maine later.

He turned the shower on and closed his eyes as he felt the warm water massage his aching body. He tried to relax himself but he couldn't since he was still worrying about Maine's decision. After spending 20 minutes in the shower, he finally got out and dried himself with a towel. He headed towards his closet and thought about what he should wear. He didn't want to appear too formal so he finally decided on khaki pants and a white button down. When he was finally dressed, he checked his watch and found out that he still had 15 minutes before Maine was scheduled to come. He headed back to his room and took the jewelry box from the paper bag. He slowly opened the box and admired the diamond that winked and dazzled against the dim light.

He heard a knock on the door a few minutes later and he hurriedly hid the paper bag in the drawer and slipped the jewelry box in his pocket. With his heart pounding against his chest, Richard opened the door and found Maine standing outside.

"Maine, come in" Richard said as he stepped aside to let her in.

Maine walked timidly into the living room and placed her purse on the center table.

"Would you like something to drink?" Richard asked as he helped Maine out of her coat.

"No, thank you. I'm fine." Maine politely declined.

Richard placed her coat on the coat rack then turned back to face her. For the first time, after being friends for so long, they looked awkwardly at each other. Each one of them was unsure on how to proceed with the situation.

"So." They said at the same time. They looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"Why don't we take a seat?" Richard finally said as their laughter died down. He led Maine to the sofa. After they've settled down, he spoke up first.

"I believe you have something to tell me?" he said hesitantly.

Maine looked at him and blushed. "Before I give you my decision, I just have a few questions" Maine asked not quite meeting his eyes.

"Sure, you can ask me anything." he encouraged.

"If we get married, how long do you expect this marriage to last?" Maine softly asked.

Richard was taken aback by her question. He never expected her to ask that. He contemplated on his answer for a while before he spoke up. "As long as you want it" He finally said.

Maine looked up at him in surprise.

"The marriage will last as long as you'll have me but if you want to get out in the near future then I'll let you go." he continued. "I don't want you to feel burdened and I don't want you to resent me in the end. If somewhere along the way you feel that you would want a life away from me then I will give that to you"

"What about your mother and your agreement?" Maine asked.

"She did say that she wanted me to get married but she didn't tell me that she wanted me to stay married for the rest of my life. Don't worry about it too much okay. I'll deal with her when the time comes." Richard assured her.

"If we get married, would you change your lifestyle?" Maine continued with her questions. This was a question that he was prepared for. He knew that Maine was going to ask him about this.

"There will be no other woman. You wouldn't have to worry about that." Richard promised her.

Maine was quiet for a while. "Okay. I have one request from you then before I give you my decision." Maine said.

"What is it?" Richard asked. He would gladly give her anything that she would ask .

"I want this marriage to be only in paper" Maine said softly.

Both of them were quiet after that. Richard understood where Maine was coming from. He knew that she would never be intimate with someone that she did not love.

"Okay, if that's what you want." He finally said.

Maine looked at him and he nervously gazed back. He waited agonizingly for her to give him her answer.

"It's a deal then." Maine finally spoke up as she reached out her hand for a handshake. Richard reached out and took her hand but much to her surprise he suddenly pulled her towards him and hugged her.

"Thank you." Richard whispered as he hugged her tight. Maine would never know how happy she made him.

He let her go after a few minutes and reached into his pocket for the jewelry box. Maine's eyes widened as soon as she saw it.

"RJ!" She exclaimed.

"I wasn't really sure if you would say yes." Richard said sheepishly. "But I wanted to do this right just in case you did." He explained. He opened the box and revealed the diamond ring nestled inside. Maine let out a small gasp as soon as she saw it.

"It's beautiful." she whispered as she tried her best not to cry.

"I'm glad you liked it" he said with a smile. He took the ring out of the box and slipped it on her finger. They looked at each other and smiled. It was a perfect fit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 5.4K 17
Two hearts brought together by fate. Two hearts that fell deeply in love. Two hearts now tied together. Two hearts that will forever beat as one.
169K 11.7K 33
There's a saying that goes, "opposites attract". Two different people sometimes compliment each other to make a relationship work, but in some cases...
Benefits By .

Fanfiction

470K 12.8K 33
a story in which two equally emotionally damaged young adults engage in an agreement to hopefully get the perks of being in a relationship without pu...
400K 20.4K 44
• First there was Alden and Maine • • And then came Enzo and Katie • • They became Alden and Maine again • • And then came Enzo and Katie •