Heatstroke (Jack Frost, Rise...

By FlorindaBrydon

"You know I have never been good with heat. Why me!" Jack Frost has been a Guardian for two years now and li... More

Authors note please read
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
New Beginnings the Sequel for Heatstroke

Chapter 1

3.3K 59 49
By FlorindaBrydon

 (Romanna's POV)

|

|

|

|

'What The! It's like 40 degrees in here!' I yelled in frustration. Stupidly, I forgot to open the windows in my bedroom and now it's really hot! I can't believe I did that!

It was the worst heat wave to ever hit my area. Sitting on the edge of my bed I tried to cool off in the fan. I pulled my natural coloured, brown-blond hair back into a high ponytail in an attempt to keep it from sticking to my face from the heat. Though my side fringe was a little too short (coming down to my chin in length) to be pulled back, so it hung free on either side of my face like normal.

'Hey Romie!' I heard my little sister call out to me.

'Yeah Jess, I'm in here.' I can't believe I heard her over the loud engine of the industrial fan running in my room.

Jessica walked in dripping wet. Her brown - blonde hair had gone a dark brown from swimming in the pool.

'Do you wanna go for a swim with me?' She asked.

'Na I'm fine. I can't be bothered to change into my swimming togs.' I told her as she passed me her hair brush.

'I wish it was winter!' She pouted.

'You do know winter ended over a month ago?' It was crazy for it to be this hot only a month after winter had ended. This is one of the many things that makes my area so fun to live in!

(A/N That was sarcasm)

 After I finished brushing her hair. I braided it so it wouldn't get tangled and the 8 year old skipped happily from my room to go and play. She is the cutest thing you will ever see. She had dark brown eyes and freckles smothering her nose and cheaks. It's funny that she has dark brown eyes and dark hair like my mother, where as I have light hair and light teal-blue eyes.

When the temperature did eventually start to cool down it was 10:55pm. I was so tired as soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep.

|

|

|

|

(Jack's POV)

|

|

|

|

'I just don't understand!' I yelled out in frustration and pulled the hood of my worn out blue hoodie over my ice white hair, covering my face.

Leaning back against the trunk of one of the trees that surrounded my frozen pond, I was perched up on one of the higher branches.

'This is so stupid! I should be doing stuff not lying here,' I attempted to say while yawning. My eyes were heavy and I struggled to keep them open. I yawned again. 'Aghh!' I grumbled while sitting up properly, rubbing my eyes and face in an attempt to stop myself from falling asleep.

I haven't been sleeping at all lately. Well only at night, I mean. During the day I have no trouble falling asleep. It's making me feel nocturnal and this is really affecting the way I act. Being too exhausted during the day to preform my daily tasks of bringing winter, snow and fun! Yes, it's true, I am to tired to have fun. I am constantly finding my self nodding off to sleep and having to try and keep my self awake.

It's a struggle just to move at all during the day and tiniest of things just seem to drain me.

Also, just to add to my list of problems because of how tired I am, my powers aren't working at all during the day. I can't fly, I can't make ice or snow or snowflakes or fun! My life feels like its over!

North, Tooth, Bunny and Sandy all noticed I was acting strange, when I would nod off during guardian meetings. Ok they can't really blame me for that one because those meetings are sooo boring. They even put Sandy to sleep, but what concerns them is the fact that every time I start drifting off I'm usually standing up and tend to lose my balance; the grip on my staff is to weak and I topple over. 

I usually get right back up, dust myself off and tell them I'm fine. But once or twice I couldn't get back up and have woken up in one of North's spare rooms in the Workshop. He tells me I had slept for the whole day and that it was past sunset. They all worry for me but I tell them I'm fine and to drop the subject.

But I'm not fine.

The Man In The Moon once again isn't talking to me and I don't want to worry North, Tooth, Sandy and especially Bunny with this stupid problem I've developed. Maybe I'm just stressed, though I'm not sure what I have to be stressed about. I am the guardian of fun!

But that's not all. There is something I've made sure no one else knew about because if the Guardians found out I really don't know what they would do.

I've noticed I have been running a temperature or fever. I know, I know it's not really that much of a big deal but hear me out. I am not sick. I have never been sick. I can not possibly get sick. So what is it then?

It only happens at night when I'm awake. It's tolerable at first but by the time it hits midnight, it feels like I'm being roasted alive. The last few hours of the night are the most unbearable. I have no choice but to flee to some place really cold like Antarctica and then I'm forced to strip down to my boxes because I'm sweltering in my hoodie.

Slowly I'm being choked by this over whelming heat. It feels like it's under my skin and my lungs burn when I try to breath. I can't do anything except just lie there half buried in the arctic snow gasping for breath trying to survive until sunrise. 

You think because I have become kind of nocturnal, that I could do my guardian jobs of bringing fun and snow to children at night when I'm awake. Well let me tell you, You Were Wrong!

I know what you're probably thinking "This is major! Jack, you stupid boy, tell the Guardians! This has been happening for weeks why aren't you telling the others! You could die for all you know!"

The reason for this is simple. I am and always will be a loner. Alone for 300 years and detached from people. I had to fix my own problems, by my self. This is no different. As much as I love them I can't depend on North, Bunny, Sandy and Tooth to help me every time something goes wrong.

'Oi!' I heard a loud shout. 'Jack, mate? Wake Up! Oh you betta not be dead!' Bunny's voice was loud and his Australian accent thick. Slowly opening my eyes I saw Bunny kneeling over me with his hands on my shoulders, shaking me violently.

'Huh?' I said blinking my eyes rapidly the sunlight binding me. 'Umm, what, what's going on, B-Bunny?' I asked, still a little stunned.

'You tell me mate? One minute you're sittin in that tree and the next you're on the ground asleep or unconscious or somthin.' Bunny said as he helped me to my feet.

'There is nothing wrong with me I..I..just fell, that's all, nothing's wrong.' Convincing him was hard and I could clearly see I was failing.

What was he doing here anyway? We all know Bunnymund hates the cold and snow and frost and ice! Everything fun! But this is my pond and winter has just begun... Kind of.... Without my powers, this winter is looking really pathetic.

Wait how did he know I was in that tree? Unless... he was watching me?! Ok... I'm kinda creeped out now.

'Bunny, what are you doing here and how did you know I was in that tree? Were you watching me?' I accused pointing my staff at him weekly.

'Watchin you? Mate do ya even hear ya'self? Why would I waste my time watchin you!' He scoffed back.

'Well, what were you doing then? Huh!' I smirked as I circled him. He didn't really answer my question so I poked him with the end of my staff just to aggravate him. It's so easy to get Bunny angry.

He scowled at me and waved his hand to get my staff away from him but accidentally knocked it right out of my hands. We watched in silence as it slid dramatically into the middle of the pond. Bunny's ears twitched as it slowly halted to a stop.

'Crikey, Mate, It should of takin a lot more than that to knock ya staff out of ya hands. I barely touched it.' He asked turning to face me. 'I know you haven't really been ok, I mean with you bein so tired and all, but there's somthin you're not tellin me.'

He was right, he did barely touch my staff. It was because I felt so week and tired right now I just lost my grip.

Ignoring him, I walked painfully slowly over to my staff inching across the cold, wet ice and carefully picked it up. With the lack of my powers, my pond was not fully frozen which made it very dangerous, and since I can't fly I really didn't want to risk the weak, thin ice breaking under my weight and have me fall in... Again.

Bunny watched me slowly inch my way back to solid ground. 'What?! Why are you staring at me?!' I accused. Clearly showing him that I wasn't in a happy mood and that he was starting to piss me off.

'What the hell is goin on with you?' He semi yelled while poking me in the chest. 'Mate, you've been actin stranga than normal these past few weeks, and I wanna know what's goin on. Now!' He ordered while staring me dead in the eyes. His solid, fixed glare was telling me that he was done with my excuses and lies. 

If I was to tell anyone about what's been happening, it would be Bunny. Even though we fight a lot, he is my best friend.

'Ok, fine. Bunny I'll tell you the truth. For the last 2 and a half weeks I have been... Umm... Feeling kind of.... Ahhumm...' I rubbed the back of my neck trying to find the right words to explain.

'Feelin kind of what? Obviously tired but what else and why? What, are ya sick? Hell, can you even get sick? Like I mean ya can't feel the cold and ya live in the snow, with ice and whateva else it is ya live with, so is that even possible? Also why is it so warm? It's the first few weeks of winta and why Isn't your pond frozen properly and why is the snow so thin. You know you can't make snowballs out of this, right mate?' Bunny was obviously confused.

'Well c'mon mate, spit it out. I just wanna know what's wrong, if ya don't tell me what's troublin you, then how am I supposed to help. Oh and yes, I do wanna help. I don't like seein you like this. Whateva "This" is.' Bunny spoke with a calm voice trying to hide his worried expression.

'Woah! Bunny, slow down, one question at a time, please'. I spoke slowly while yawning and rubbing my eyes. I could feel myself becoming drowsy again. My eyes and head slowing starting to drift downwards.

'Jack!' Bunny yelled, startling me causing me to jump backwards, tripping over. 

'WHAT' I yelled back.

'Answer my questions, Jack!' I could see Bunny was loosing his patience.

'Fine! No I don't and can't get sick. The reason It's warm is because, my powers are not working. My pond isn't frozen because, Oh that's right, My Powers Are Not Working and the snow is thin because, You guessed it, MY POWERS ARE NOT FREAKING WORKING!' I yelled while flailing my arms around.

Bunny just looked at me, wide eyed and stunned. Not really sure what to say or ask.

'Sorry. I-I didn't mean to snap. I'll explain from the beginning.' I said while rubbing the temples of my face.

I took a deep breath and sighed. I started explaining to him exactly how I felt. Me not sleeping at night and having the fever, then not being able to stay awake during the day and my powers failing to work.

'I was scared about telling you and the others because I didn't know how you would react. Would you think I am neglecting my responsibly to bring winter and fun to the children because I can't make snow any more. Would you guys kick me out and force me to be alone and not believed in again. Because I can't live through that again! Bunny! I can't! I don't want to be alone and invisible like Pitch was! I don't want to become like him! I'm freaked out and I don't know what to do! Bunny please! Promise me you won't let the others ab-abandon m-me. T-That you won't abandon me.' With tears streaming down my face and my breathing rapid, I frantically ran my hands threw my white hair trying to calm myself down while pulling my hood back up over my head.

'I've been a guardian for only two years now! Two years and I'm already messing things up.' I had my back facing Bunny. I didn't want him to see me like this, so weak and upset.

I took a deep breath and turned to face him. 'Help Me! Please!' I begged staring him dead in the eyes. Falling to my knees gasping for breath and my vision blurred from the endless tears that were still streaming down my face.

'Mate.' Bunny started but then stopped. I slowly lifted my head from my hands to see him kneeling over me. 'I would neva eva let anythin happen to you. I think of you as ma little brotha and as brothas we will fight, but there is one thing ya need to know. I would neva eva abandon you.' He gave me a small smile and pulled the back of my hood down.

I quickly wiped away the remaining tears that dampened my flushed cheeks, embarrassed about the way I was just acting.

'C'mon lets get you taken care of.' He said while messing up my hair and helping me to my feet.

Bunny tapped his foot on the ground opening a tunnel. 'Where are we going? The Warren?' I asked while sniffling. I looked away from the tunnel and back towards Bunny. He was looking strangely up at the sky.

'Bunny?' I repeated trying to get his attention. I looked up and saw what had caught his attention. It was the moon, shining bright and clear in the daylight.

'What the? Manny? Are you talking to him?! Why?' I whispered under my breath.

'I know why you aren't sleepin and I've got a feelin I know whats causin your midnight fevers. Jack, mate you've gotta come with me to the Pole now!' He spoke quickly as he grabbed the end of my staff and pulled me down into the tunnel. Not giving me a chance to respond.

A/N:
So that's the first chapter.

Sorry about any mistakes I am writing this on my phone and spellcheck likes changing my words. I am currently working on fixing them all!

Also sorry about all the crazy long dragging on drama but It's gonna get a lot more action happening very soon! Hang In There!

I hope you guys like it!
Thank you for reading!

Xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

724 16 5
When the Man in the Moon chooses you to be a Guardian of Joy and the Spirit of Autumn, you must learn your powers. But problems arise when Pitch Bla...
619 43 9
My name, as you probably know, is Jack Frost. How I know that? Because the moon told me and this story will be full of drama, exciting new adventures...
4.3K 37 10
astrea borealis. or y/n l/n. whatever her name is, she was out there, probably riding her dragon. she heightened imaginations in children. she would...
7.5K 124 20
Alexandra Barrow was a normal girl of sixteen when she died in 1626. While saving her brother from a mountain lion, she was attacked and killed by th...