Clockwork Forest

By JamieDodgerGallagher

Alinson was broght in a clockwork tower niebouring Two cities, along her way she meets a sophistatced dragon... More

Clockwork Forest
Chapter 2 - Escape to Reality
Chapter 3 - A Strangers Aid
Chapter 4 - The pilgrimage
Chapter 5 - The Dragon and the Vampire
Chapter 6 - First Night and Day
Chapter 7 - a Loquacious Genie
Chapter 8 - The Animated Witch
Chapter 9- one sided mirror?
Chapter 10 - The Antipathetic Testing. (finished chapter)
Chapter 11 - New attire and a request (completed)
Chapter 12 the shadow and the new cook ( complete)
Chapter 13 - cook to keep Part 1
chapter 13 - cook to keep part 2
Chapter 14 - A Lady's Honour
Chapter 15 - Picnic and a witches Wrath complete
Chapter 16 - The Necropolis known as Rotheram
Chapter 17 - A Fight for her affection
Chapter 18 - Shadow of a doubt
Chapter 19 - Trapped in understanding new
Chapter 20 - Unexpected arrival
Chapter 21 - A taste of desperation
Chapter 22 - A Blade in the storm part 1
Chapter 22 - A Blade in the storm Part two

Chapter one - The tower and its guardian updated

34 3 0
By JamieDodgerGallagher

Chapter one – The tower and its guardian

The tower started to move and wake as the sun came up clearing the mist as it retreated back away from the tower like a unwanted guest, it was a tall ugly thing that stuck out from the ground like a sore thumb, it was visible that the tower had been there for centuries through all weathers with nobody looking after it, vines grew up the sides and moss was probably the only thing holding it together, the stone was well worn and discoloured, the tower was slightly crocked with a single window and gears stuck into its sides like moving decorations, at the top was a metal chimney emitting steam and smoke alike, around the castle was a large gyroscope that moved around the tower to mask its presence from the world.

Around the base of the tower was a single path that lead up and away from the tower with a sea of green spring coils that swayed in the direction of the blowing wind, surrounding this was a large dense black forest made of metal trees, there was no sound from the forest only the noise of the wind and metal branches clanking together, nothing living grew in this circle of metal and stone except for one thing, a small child that slept soundly in the castle overlooking its metal and dead kingdom.

The inside of the tower was warm as the gears turned and the steam blew, it was a well know fact that heat rose and it had its own indoor climate for all times of the year, all around were stone and pips protruding from the stone work and now and again you could the noise of steam hissing, the baby slept with not a care in the world dreaming dreams only babies would dream until she woke and started to cry.

There was another sound of hissing and the sound of whirring mechanics as two arms from the ceiling  came down, all made of copper, it hands were long and slender with sharp fingers, it slowly came to the baby and picked it up cradling it like a human would with care and a delicate touch, another extended itself with a bottle of milk with a rubber teat to feed the baby, she sucked on it with delight until the whole bottle was gone, with a gentle move of the arms it patted her on the back until she burped, another set of hands moved a cot and made the covers and the tiny pillow before placing the baby into the crib for a long sleep.

Also inside the castle was a single stove and a large box for holding fresh cold food, a single bath, wash basin with soap and flannel, a series of towels, a single cubered filled with clothes for all ages, nothing more and nothing less, the only other thing in the room was a machine stuck into a wall with a interlocking hatch, inside sat a strange thing with a slender neck with round glowing green eyes and its jaw seemed to be riveted shut but still able to make the odd sound as it checked its surroundings, it had been there since the tower was first built and that too was well worn, the only disguising features is a plate on the back of its head that read ASI-1609.

It would be another seven years before ASI would move again after watching the child lean against the window, its contraption would open up and its steam pips and other cables would unlach itself from the wall, as it took its first step it hissed and bounced to each step on its spring like feet, it legs slender and bent to as the bellows bounded and retracted, it hunched over its own body weight and its arms hunched by its side, years of use and poor maintenance caused it to be slightly rusty.

The young girl sighed as she heard it coming but didn’t turn around as she looked out to a village that was barley within eyesight, the machine approached and placed a hold hand on her shoulder, its fingers longer than that of the machine above into the ceiling, with a strange voice that sounded like someone talking through a metal tube ASI said “Alinson, you know not to go near there window”

Alinson sighed “i know but it’s beautiful outside and the breeze feels-“

“no my dear you must come away from the window”

With a strong grasp on her shoulder she was lead away from the window Alinson sighed “but why can’t i go there”

ASI didn’t answer but just led her to a table and a bed as it dished up her food, another set of sausages, mash, peas and gravy, she sat at the table toying with her food as the day before she asked for something different but was told by ASI that that it was against its programming, Alinson didn’t understand what it meant but was told that it wasn’t done, she sighed and was tired of being told the same old thing.

It was like a solider being told what to do without question with a determined resolve to follow orders to the letter, she would ask ASI questions about the tower and itself “so ASI who made you?”

ASI hissed as it moved and turned its head looking in Alinson’s direction, it thought using its crystal in its core mind and body to think about the answer, it thought about what it was told until it said “The master builder built me and this tower”

“why?”

“so that peace may be brought across the land”

“why?”

“It is the masters will”

Alinson sighed as she started to eat her dinner, sick and tired of the same meals week in and week out, no toys or books were allowed with little to no explanation, as the night approached she was tucked into bed by the machine when it finished was slower than normal but had to charge itself by placing its body back into its metal cocoon for the night, Alinson knew this was her time to spend by the window before she felt tired, as she looked out barley , her head was able to rest on the perch looking out and her hands just rested on top, she couldn’t see the town, eventually she used her little strength to hop onto the window ledge to look out at the world.

The stars were out and lights could be seen in the distance, but something caught her eye, a strange figure walking towards the castle, her head tilted in question wondering what is going on, she wanted to say something but couldn’t in case ASI woke up, a wind blew as she could feel the breeze on her hair and her naked feet, it was so warm in the castle that shoes weren’t needed, or in ASI case not allowed, but the figure was carrying something a small basket, as he approached the base it stopped and did something.

There was a slight pause followed by a series of squeaking noises and to Alinsons surprise she first noticed a pulley system and the basket being raised to her, eventually the basket came to her as she grabbed it with confusion, inside was a note she couldn’t read properly or at all but the note said “Dear child, please put the items away as quickly as you can before ASI notices you, these books may help you read properly and the teddy should proved you with some company, there is a corner of the tower were ASI can’t see where you can place your items, that is under your bed i would like the basket back”

Alinson understood some words but not all, but she had a idea of hiding her stuff underneath the bed, she couldn’t undo the knot of the basket but quickly took the items out, one was a fairytale book, dolls and some pen and paper, she quickly put all her items under the bed, she heard the noise of the pulley system as the basket was lowered down, ASI woke up and looked around the room notice that Alinson was by the window looking out it hissed as Alinson looked back “Get awy from the window child, how many times should i tell you”

Alinson smiled “i know ASI but i get too hot and you know what happens when that happens”

ASI nodded “you have five minutes and then i will come and get you”

“no need ASI i am fine now”

ASI waited and watched Alinson walk to the bed and get in to sleep, she couldn’t sleep as the mysterious stranger was on her mind, who was she or he, why has it appeared now of all times, and why wouldn’t it come a get her? Lots of questions and no answers, but that didn’t worry her, she waited till ASI was fully shut down for the night.

She quickly uncovered herself and jumped from the bed, the only light was from the stove but it was enough for her to read the book on fairy tales, she sat with her knees up with her book  open and started to read, she tried to sound certain words and brake them down, she could make out certain words like “and” “the” and other odd words.

She could make out stories by looking at the pictures of princes rescuing princesses from castles and dragons and ogres, tales of knights fight giants and battles between kings, the more she tried to read and looked at pictures the more her mind started to fill with hopes and dreams of leaving her castle and her own ogre known as ASI,  she sighed as she looked out towards her window and carried on reading her book, a word popped up as a sentence said “so the princess put on her shawl to sneak past a witch, she saw a picture of a bit of fabric over a princess, another one was carrying a backpack, Alinson’s mind began to think but she felt tired as she let out a yawn, she smiled as she placed the book back safely under her bed, the noise of the tower stopped for a bit, all that could be heard was the noise of steam and bubbling water, she could only sleep when it was quiet, and this was that moment, she rested her head on her feather filled pillow as she started to doze off and fall asleep dreaming dreams of knight and fairys.

Her sleep was soon rudely interrupted by a series of mechanical arms and hands taking away her covers and shaking her awake, her eyes were still tired and full of sand as she rubbed them, it wasn’t long before the arms had laid out a table with porridge and a glass of milk, in the porridge was raisens and sultanas, Alinson sighed “cant we have bacon and sussages” as she yawned.

ASI was in the wall as it moved its head “no Girl”

“why not?”

“porriage is good for you, it helps build up bones and has nutritional values”

Alinson hated hearing its voice early in the morning but she was used to it “and what are these things in here?”

“they are raisins and sultanas girl, part of a healthy meal”

“and let me guess it was programmed into you? Right?”

ASI nodded “yes, that is true girl, now sit down and eat”

Alinson sighed as she sat down and started to eat, her eyes would look up at the window now and again, she started to develop a strange feeling, a feeling to want to see what is out of the tower, out of this square and circular room, she started to day dream of jumping to the window ledge and jumping to freedom fly away to the village were people greeted her and a family adopted her, but her day dream was cut short “Alinson, eat your breakfast and get washed, i have prepared a bath for you”

She sighed “ok, but i want to look away ok”

ASI waited “ok, i will shut down until you’re finished your breakfast”

Alinson nodded, she finished her breakfast and was soon in the tub, ASI had shut down for a few minutes while Alinson was in the bath, she was surrounded by foam and bubbles, once agin she let her mind get away with her again of being a princess being saved by a knight in shining armour or men fight duels in her honour, the water was warm and peaceful but once again that was disturbed by the hissing sound of ASI “time to get out and washed girl”

Alinson groaned and sighed “i do have a name, its Alinson”

There was a pause “do you preferred to be called that rather then Girl?”

Alinson sat up looking into the cold eyes of ASI, she saw something that almost seemed human until it spoke and said “That name is in my memory core, i shall call you Alinson from now on”

She sighed “ok but can you look away until get dried and dressed?”

“yes Alinson”

ASI turned its head to one side averting its gaze from her, she jumped out of the bath and quickly wrapped a towel around her and sat down on her bed, ASI looked back and pulled the plug and sorted out the bath, there was a strange sound a set of fluttering wings landed on the window shelve, followed by a tweeting noise from the little sparrow, Alinson smiled at the bird and watched it for a bit untll a metal hand waved the bird off flapping away.

Alinson looked at ASI “why did you do that, its only a little bird?”

ASI looked over at Alinson “no one or nothing is to enter the tower apart from you”

Alinson thought about this “so i can leave then?”

ASI shook its head creaking from left to right “no, you have to stay here”

“How long?”

“Until he comes for you Alinson”

“who is that”

There was a pause, Alinson was used to its pauses as it was deterriating with age “just him Alinson”

“who is him?”

“just him Alinson, he will come, time for you to get dressed”

Alinson nodded and waited as she got herself dressed, from top to toe, apart from socks and shoes, it was another normal day for her but each time she stopped and had time to herself she thought about her fairy tales and adventures, it helped get through most of the day but it more or less ended abrubtivly by ASI each time.

But as each day went on she felt more and more wanting to go out side past the window and down, but each time she even entered near the window she was led away, another night went by and another day it was the same but ASI noticed something as it bounced its way towards her bed and picked up her teddy bear by the leg with its claw hand, the teddy was held in a pincer grip upside down as ASI looked at it “What is this?”

Alinson looked up sharply from her table, despair came to her face as she saw the the upside down bear with its smiley face now a frown “it’s my teddy, i call him ted”

There was a long pause “it does not belong here, were did it come from?”

Alinson shrugged “it was a gift”

ASI bounced to the window as Alison said “What are you doing?”

“it has to go”

It held out its claw and arm fully extended and dropped the bear out of the window Alinson rushed but was blocked by ASI as it gripped her by the arm stopping her from jumping out of the window, Alison was had one hand out watching the bear fall down to the ground, ASI moved forward still gripping Alinson as it said “you don’t need that bear”

“but you didn’t need to throw it out”

“i had to”

Alinson was distraught and upset, she tried to bang against its metal casing shouting “i hate you, i hate you”

ASI didn’t flinch as it let go of her by the table as it bounced back to its hole in that wall, Alinson could see she needed to get out, but when she is stronger and older, her books always mentioned that Princesses were rescused at the age of Twenty Two, if she has to wait that long so be it

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

487K 16K 155
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...
483K 27.4K 59
She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind, wealth, and many other things, hence d...
67.4K 3.2K 49
Elite3532, an individual who can be considered as an icon among the Tensura fandom community failed in accomplishing his dream... As he regretted his...
225K 3.7K 59
𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ π–¬π–Ίπ—‚π—Œπ—‚π–Ύ 𝖦𝗋𝖾𝖾𝗇, 𝖺 𝗐𝖾𝗅𝗅-π—„π—‡π—ˆπ—π—‡ π–Όπ—ˆπ—‡π—π–Ύπ—‡π— π–Όπ—‹π–Ύπ–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹ π—‚π—Œ 𝖽𝖾𝗆𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝖿 π—π—ˆ 𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍𝗇𝖾𝗋 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖬...