Dancing On The Edge Of A Knife

By Devilsmom

When Ester Celeste finally used that coupon for free dance lessons with the famous Sierra Stone, she did not... More

1. Prologue
2. Entrance
3. Disgusting
4. Ride
5. Evil
6. Bottle
7. Restaurant
8. Liquid
9. Dancing
10. Seduction
12. Scary
13. Call
14. Loneliness
15. Realization
16. Roses
17. Text
18. Beach House
19. Tears
20. Apologies
21. Off
22. Start
23. Rocks
24. Confusion
25. Lingerie
26. Change
27. Insight
28. Coffee
29. Blocked
30. Argument
31. Friend
32. Advice
33. Water
34. Wine
35. Family
36. Night
37. Reality
38. Okay
39. Talk
40. Blind
41. Date
42. Shock
43. Heartless
44. Second
45. Fine
46. Walls
47. Crowded
48. Terrace
49. Epilogue
50. Epilogue pt.2
Projects

11. Tango

7.9K 297 13
By Devilsmom

"Nice of you to finally bless us with your presence again, dear brother." Ester heard and looked up from her toes.

There he was. Almost a whole week passed since that day he smiled at her. He hasn't been in a single lesson and when Ester had dinner with Sierra and her mom, he was never there either. But tonight he was there, walking towards her... Walking towards her!

Ester widened her eyes and quickly averted them towards the front, where Sierra was instructing an older pair how to get in position for the tango. Yes, the tango. Probably one of the most intimate dances she knew.

When Sierra told her that Devon probably wasn't coming, Ester felt a heavy weight fall from her shoulders. She could never imagine dancing like that with Devon. Well, she could imagine, but she'd rather not.

Anyways, now that he was here, she found it quite difficult to breathe. Literally, she thought as she sniffed the air. His scent was everywhere! That masculine and spicy smell. She wondered what deodorant he was using. Or was it aftershave...maybe perfume? Did men wear perfumes?

"Ester!" She suddenly heard and snapped out of it, looking at Sierra. Around her, the crowd was still dancing and she gulped.
"Yes?" What did she miss?

"Did you hear what I said? Devon is here now. You won't have to sit this one out, isn't that exciting?" Her instructor clapped and then turned towards her brother to talk to him.

Ester didn't listen to them. She was lost in her thoughts. Why was he here? She hoped she'd never have to see him again. Since that day after Mason's party, she had a lot of time to think. Especially after Sierra came home and cursed about how irresponsible Devon was, Ester realized what she'd done.

He was haunting her without even doing anything. Ester was trying her best to prepare for whatever was coming her way. But how could someone prepare for something if they didn't even know what that something was?

"You okay?" She heard and looked towards Sierra with a tight smile.
"Fine." Even to herself, Ester's voice sounded high pitched. But Sierra didn't seem fazed as she simply nodded.

"Good, now position." She got back to being the instructor, making Ester take a deep breath before finally meeting Devon's gaze. He wasn't smiling, but his eyes looked bemused to her. Or was she just hallucinating now?

Ester stepped forward and placed her hand firmly on Devon's upper back. His own arm came under hers as his hand rested on her back. They intertwined their other hands and raised them up to eye level.

"Closer." Sierra ordered and they stepped even closer. Ester's heart picked up speed when his scent surrounded her again. He smelled so good. What was happening? Ester shook her head, annoyed by herself.

"Are you okay?" Devon whispered low enough for only their ears. Ester just nodded, not looking into his eyes but his neck. He chuckled lowly and pulled her even closer without Sierra's instruction.
"You're scared, aren't you?"

"Devon, let her breathe." Sierra snapped and Devon loosened his grip on her.
"Good, now lead her. And Ester just remember the steps I taught you before. Let him lead you first so you can see how it feels." Ester simply nodded at that and did as told.

The fact that Devon could dance all these dances still surprised her. He moved so quick and elegant as if he'd danced all his life. Maybe he has, Ester thought. After all, she knew nothing about him so why not considering that?

"Eye contact, Ester." She heard and almost rolled her eyes. Dancers and their stupid eye contact. But she lifted her gaze to look into his beautiful green eyes. Beautiful? Unique, let's settle on that.

His eyes still looked bemused and Ester narrowed her eyes at him when he winked. Did it just get hot in here? Ester mentally shook her head away from these dangerous thoughts and forced herself to simply focus on the task at hand. Dance, Ester. Let him lead you, she reminded herself.

"Looking good, guys." Sierra was still there? Ester didn't even notice. But continued dancing as if his presence didn't confuse the heck out of her. She couldn't help but wonder what took him so long to come back. And what he did while he was gone.

"You look good tonight." She suddenly heard Devon say and her eyes widened slightly before she looked around. Sierra was gone and Devon smirked at her when she glanced up at him.
"Really, you do." He emphasized.

"Okay." Was all she could say. Devon giving Ester compliments was something she's never even expected or dreamed of. Not that she ever dreamed of him, just saying. She heard his deep chuckle and looked back up into his eyes.

"You're not very good at receiving compliments." He noted and Ester shrugged.
"Not when they come from you, no." Ester found herself being pushed into a double spin and then came back crashing against his hard body.

"Oh how you wound me, Ester." He whispered in her ear, before they heard Sierra's excited clapping.
"Splendid, Ester and Devon!" She praised and the pair didn't even glance at her, too engrossed in their own conversation.

"But do get used to it, love." He continued which caused a cold shiver to run down Ester's spine. Did he just call her love?
"Don't call me that." She mustered a cold glare. Devon tilted his head slightly to the right.

"You didn't conplain last time when I called you that." When did he even call her that? She couldn't remember.
"The first day when I gave you a ride home. You must remember that at least." Oh she did.

"Leave me alone." She snapped at Devon, who just shook his head in amusement before leaning a little closer to her, his nose brushing her ear.
"If you thought the ride was bad, I can't even imagine how you'll like my next move."

And with a kiss as light as a feather, his mouth left her cheek. Ester froze temporarily as Devon completely pulled away from her and turned around to leave. She stayed put, even when Sierra came running after her brother, shouting for him to come back.

Ester only raised her hand to rest against her cheek. Did he really kiss her or did she just imagine that? Whatever it was, it only gave her the more reason to stay away from him.

She has started a game she didn't know how to continue. And he was about to finish it.
.
.
.

"Say, dear. Would you like to come to my wedding?" That question took Ester by surprise and she looked up at Martha with widened eyes.

They were sitting at the same table in Martha's restaurant. It has become some sort of routine for Sierra and Ester to have a bite here after dance. They've become good friends and sometimes Martha would even join them, just like tonight.

"Wow, I-" Sierra didn't even give her friend a chance to answer because she was already at it.

"Oh yes! That would be amazing. You'll finally see how good of a dancer she is, mom. Oh, say yes Ester." Sierra gave her the puppy eyes and Ester chuckled. What even made her think she'd say no?

"Of course, if it's no issue with the guest list." Ester said and Martha shook her head with a dismissing gesture of her hand.
"No worries, dear. It's my wedding and I can invite as many people as I want."

"Yes! Then Ester, you must show mom how you dance. Maybe we'll get Devon to dance with you." That made Ester stop eating.
"Now that would be a wedding gift. It has been quite a while since I've seen him dance." Martha had a dreamy look on her face before she looked at Ester.

"Very well then. You and Devon will dance at my wedding. That is all I'm asking you. No gift, no nice dress, just a dance with my son." Martha told Ester, who gulped. Again, when she opened her mouth to respond, Sierra was quicker and answered for her.

"She will. That is no problem, right Ester. I just don't see Devon voluntarily dancing in front of all the people." Sierra sighed.
"Oh, just let me talk to him. He won't be an issue." Martha told them.

"Alright, then it's settled. Ester and Devon will dance at your wedding and I will be their coach." Sierra clapped excitedly.
"I can't wait!" She said and Ester shrunk back in her seat.

Now that was a reason to say no in the beginning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 3.3K 35
Avery wrapped an arm around my waist to catch me before I could get out the door. He pushed me up against the door, trapping me between his body and...
44K 702 46
~~ Highest ranking - #1 in tutoring (11th June 2021) Started - 28th March 2021 Finished - 3rd June 2021 ~~ He gently caresses my face as he tucks a...
3.5M 89.9K 51
Highest rank #27 in Teen Fiction. Written by @apricitys. _ _ _ "What is this?" He asked, not even bothering to look at the canvas in front of me. Ins...
3.5K 159 17
"I hate you." He spits. Breath heavy and eyes locked on to mine, he draws closer to me. My lips part in surprise, completely taken aback by the sudde...