THE FUNERAL PLANNER

By LynnIsenberg

Madison Banks has brilliant ideas and an Ivy League degree in Entrepreneurial Studies to go with them. But n... More

THE FUNERAL PLANNER: Table of Contents & Author Bio
Chapter One: Reflections of a Failed but Still Determined Entrepreneur
Chapter Two: Missions and Visions - The Genesis of an Entrepreneurial Idea
Chapter Three: Market Strategy - Lights Out Meets the Funeral Industry
Chapter Four: Executive Summary - The Plan for Lights Out Enterprises
Chapter Five: Rollout Strategy - Putting Reality to the Test
Chapter Six: Financial Strategy - The Venture Capitalist Reprise
Intermission: A Special Thank You to the Supporters
Chapter Seven Part 1: Operational Strategy - A Power Surge for Lights Out
Chapter Seven Part 2: Operational Strategy - A Power Surge for Lights Out
Chapter Eight Part 1: Competitive Landscape - History Repeats Itself
Chapter Eight Part 2: Competitive Landscape - History Repeats Itself
Chapter 9 Part 1: Critical Success Factors - Diving into Grief
Chapter 9 Part 3: Critical Success Factors - Diving into Grief
Chapter 10 Part 1: Organizational Strategy - The Resurrection of Lights Out
Chapter 10 Part 2: Organizational Strategy - The Resurrection of Lights Out
Chapter 10 Part 3: Organizational Strategy - The Resurrection of Lights Out
Chapter 11 Part 1: Risk & Mitigation - The Stakes Keep Rising
Chapter 11 Part 2: Risk & Mitigation - The Stakes Keep Rising
Chapter 11 Part 3: Risk & Mitigation - The Stakes Keep Rising
Chapter 12 Part 1 Finale: Playing Maddy's Results - The Pièce de Résistance
Chapter 12 Part 2 Finale: Playing Maddy's Results - The Pièce de Résistance
Chapter 12 Part 3: Finale: Playing Maddy's Results-The Pièce de Résistance
Epilogue: Everyone's Exit Strategy
The Clark Lake Story - a featured location in the novel
Perks & Info
Post Chapter News V.1
Post Chapter News V.2
Post Chapter News V.3: After the Epilogue - What's Under the Rock
Post Chapter News V.4: You Can't Be Creative Without a Good Night's Rest!
Intermission: Tara's Obit - A True Friend
Intermission: Uncle Sam's Obit - The Best Uncle in the world

Chapter 9 Part 2: Critical Success Factors - Diving into Grief

22.4K 418 29
By LynnIsenberg

Chapter 9 Part 2

Sid and I walk along the shoreline under the moonlight to Uncle Sam’s cottage. “Did you get that, Sid? The proto­col to grief is love. To paraphrase with interpretation...that would mean that those who have grieved are also those who have loved. I would grieve you a lot—you know why, Sid? Because I love you a lot. Would you grieve for me?” Siddhartha jumps on me and whimpers. “I know...I’d miss you, too...like I miss Uncle Sam...and Tara.”

For the next week, I endear myself to the customers at the bar, listening and paraphrasing, while Sid endears herself to them by nuzzling up to them for a loving stroke on the head.

I’m working the bar one night when the town’s librarian, Mrs. Jones, shows me a series of her watercolor paintings.

“Sounds like you really enjoy painting from your car-stu­dio during your lunch hour,” I say.

“Yes,” says Mrs. Jones. “I painted these over some twenty lunch hours.”

There’s an extraordinary painting of Guy working out­doors on a fence with strange-looking parts strategically placed on top of it. “That’s an amazing painting. You’re really talented.” I try to squash my instinct to introduce Mrs. Jones to a handful of gallery owners I know from my failed Artists International venture, but I’m determined not to meddle with people’s lives here. What if I helped and it backfired? Better not to tempt fate in this little town, I think to myself. I glance down the bar at Guy sipping his beer. I top off Mrs. Jones’s iced tea and remember the story of D. J. Depree, the founder of Herman Miller.

The story goes that when D.J. went to pay his respects to the wife of a millwright who had died while working for him, she showed him her husband’s book of poetry, and forever thereafter D.J. wondered—was her husband a millwright who wrote poems or a poet who worked as a millwright? That one persistent and prescient thought marked the start of a changing perception of the Amer­ican worker from machine-centric widget-maker to em­ployee with inalienable rights—rights that D. J. Depree recognized in the 1950s. In fact, his was one of the first companies to give employees participative ownership through stock. Years later D.J.’s son, Max, succeeded him as an equally good leader, maintaining the values his fa­ther had instilled in him. It was Max who went on to write the little, well-known book “Leadership is an Art,” declar­ing that leaders should leave behind them assets and a legacy; that they are obligated to provide and maintain momentum; that they must be responsible for effective­ness; that they must take a role in developing, expressing and defending civility and values and implement manage­ment-sharing opportunities.

Derek Rogers must have skipped that class in college be­cause he certainly eschews all those principles. But Victor doesn’t. As far as I can tell, Victor is a man of great princi­ple. I watch the people in the bar. Is Mrs. Jones a librarian who paints or a painter who works as a librarian? Is Guy a handyman who engineers or an engineer who is handy? “God, I hate conundrums,” I mutter under my breath, and focus back on the present.

“What do you think of this one, Maddy?” asks Mrs. Jones.

I stare at another stellar painting. “It’s remarkable,” I com­ment. In this painting of Clark Lake at dawn, Mrs. Jones has captured its essence perfectly. My instincts win out and I say, “You know...I know a little bit about the art world. I could give you a list of names and numbers of some art gallery owners in New York to contact if you want.”

“Really?” asks Mrs. Jones. “That would be very nice. Let me think about it.”

“Sure. And I’d be happy to call in advance, if it helps.”

I glance toward the other end of the bar to make sure all the customers are happy. Richard pours another patron a sec­ond shot of whiskey. I hear the soothing tones of Richard’s voice as he asks, “What was that like for you, Wally?”

“It’s rough,” says Wally, mumbling. “I can’t look at my own bed without thinking about her. I can’t walk up the driveway or stand in the garden without thinking she’s going to be there.”

“Sounds like your home is filled with memories of her.” “Beautiful memories,” says Wally. He kicks his drink back. “You ever think about moving, Wally...maybe taking a vacation?”

“Without her? Can’t bear the thought. I’ll take an­other shot.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea right now, Wally. We don’t want any accidents on the road.”

Wally nods. Richard passes me to get a fresh rag.

“What happened to his wife?” I ask.

“Mary Beth? She passed away six years ago. Wally’s never gotten over it. That’s what long-term grief can do.”

“Long-term grief?”

“It lowers your serotonin levels and triggers hard-core depression. Some people get sad like Wally. Some get agitated and keep super busy to hide themselves from their own pain. You don’t want to encourage them to grieve anymore, but just help them cope with it.”

Guy overhears us. “That’s what I’m trying to do with Sally. I keep trying to help her cope.”

“What do you mean by that, Guy?” asks Richard.

“When she cries, which is all the time, I try to ease her pain by doing chores around the house, buying groceries for her and bringing them in the house. Sometimes I make her a pot of tea. And I let her cry for as long as she needs to. I know she’s in a lot of pain...but it makes me feel good to be there for her. She doesn’t have anyone else anymore. I just wish she’d be willing to go outside sometime. She lets me walk her to the porch, but she hasn’t left the house for eight months now.”

“Sounds like each of you is helping the other in your own way,” suggests Richard.

“I think there’s some truth to that,” says Guy.

I can’t help but ask, “What happened to Sally’s husband?”

“Joe died a few months after I closed down the funeral home. All the bereavement counseling groups I used to offer got closed down, too. It’s been tough on the locals. They have no social place to grieve anymore. Sally, along with everyone else, had to use funeral homes out in Grass Lake and Ann Arbor. They feel like they’ve been ripped off by the Tribute in a Box Corporation. They now own all the funeral homes within sixty miles of here. Company’s no good, taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable people. Don’t get me started—especially when funeral directors may be the very last stop for some to ever release their grief,” Richard fumes.

I pour a shot of whiskey and hand it to him. “Here, maybe you shouldn’t talk about this stuff for a while.”

Richard drinks his shot. “Maybe you’re right. I can’t stand seeing people get taken advantage of.”

I shake my head and pour myself a shot, as well. “Me, too— especially by Derek Rogers. Oh, you have no idea.” I have the shot and we smile at one another, and for a moment, I flash on Uncle Sam and me sharing a shot and shooting the breeze.

The next day is my day off. Sid and I sail around the lake and catch a bass. I think of Uncle Sam. “I wish Uncle Sam was here, Sid. You guys would have really liked each other.” I start to cry, and this time, I don’t try to hold it in. I just let it flow, and I let Sid lick the tears.

That night, I sit in front of the fireplace and compose an­other letter to Victor.

Dear Victor,

I hope this letter finds you well and happy. Thanks for the happiness tips. I found happiness this week catching a bass in Clark Lake (which I put back in the water), taking walks with Sid and bartending at the Eagle’s Nest, where I now listen to people’s hopes, aspirations and process with grief. Without even reading a news­paper, I unhappily learned that Derek’s empire has ex­panded and is unfortunately taking advantage of the locals around here. I try not to let it get to me. I’m also learning to listen...to myself. It’s amazing how many epiphanies one can have when one is quiet enough to hear them. I think I know now who I’ve been seeking approval from...myself. And working in a bar turns out to be a pretty good place to practice self-acceptance. I don’t know what the results of playing bartender will be, but for now, it keeps me engaged with life—and the tips aren’t bad, either.

Yours truly,

Madison

P.S. Since I’m out of the “know” going on three months and no newspaper, how was the launch of your De­signer Tank company? Sid says “Hi.”

Using a pencil, I shade an empty spot at the bottom of the letter, then call Siddhartha over and point to it. “Okay, Sid, sign here.” Sid places her paw in a dish of flour and then puts her paw on the spot, creating a defined paw mark.

“Good girl.” Sid licks my face. I neatly fold the letter in­side an envelope addressed to Winston Capital.

The next night at the bar, I wait for Richard to close up while Siddhartha sleeps quietly in her corner spot. I pour two shots of whiskey. “Um, Richard. Can I talk to you?”

He eyes the shots and smiles. “I take it this is going to be a long sit-down kind of talk.”

“Um. Probably.”

He sits on a stool, leaving the shot untouched on the table. “I’m all ears.”

“I’ve been thinking about a lot of the things you’ve been telling me and I think I have long-term grief that’s triggered a state of agitated depression.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Well, because I haven’t been able to get over the deaths of Uncle Sam or my friend Tara or my cousin Smitty. I haven’t been able to get over the loss of Lights Out, either. I’m consumed in grief...”

“Okay. I’ll tell you what we’re going to do. I’m going to give you some homework.” He disappears into the back room and returns with a giant piece of plain brown wrap­ping paper, which he lays on the bar. “I want you to make a graph of all the losses in your life starting from birth until now. You can write, you can draw pictures, you can express it any way you want. Take your time and we’ll go over it to­morrow night, same time, same place. And let’s save the drinks until we’re done.”

The next night after closing, I sit with Richard and un­ravel my Loss Graph across the top of the bar. I’ve cre­ated an elaborate diagram complete with drawings, sketches, clipped-out portraits and cut-out landscapes from magazines. An idea starts in one location with ar­rows sprouting from it, branching to more connected losses.

Richard studies the graph carefully. “I want you to explain for me what the loss was and your feelings around it, then and now.”

“Okay, well, um, when I was born I had my first sense of loss—I lost the private womb I grew up in.” I point to the next illustration. “Over here, two years later, I lost being an only child when my brother was born.... At six, we moved and I lost the street Stansbury that I grew up on, which had a real sense of community to it.... I lost my first serious boyfriend in junior high to a best friend who decided she wanted him at whatever cost, so I also lost my best friend.... And then I lost my first really successful business in college, which I lost to Derek Rogers who sabotaged me and to this day continues to do so.”

“The same Derek Rogers who owns Tribute in a Box?” asks Richard.

I nod. “I keep losing my businesses. White Mondays be­came Black Tuesdays, Artists International was stolen by Palette Enterprises, Lights Out got snuffed out....” I feel tears clot in my throat. “Then my cousin Smitty died, and a year later a close friend from college, Tara Pintock, died...and then...Uncle Sam. He was my best friend throughout my whole life. He was always there for me. I miss him.” I start to weep. “And, um, recently I feel like I’ve lost my college girlfriend Sierra to her new boyfriend, Milton...and, um, I think my grief is turning people like Victor Winston away from me. I feel like all I do is play the results and the only results I end up with are filled with loss.”

“So what I hear you say is that you’ve had a lot of loss around your career, which ties into your self-esteem...and you’ve had a lot of loss from deaths in a very short time,” says Richard. I nod. “And you feel a sense of abandonment and betrayal by some of your past boyfriends and college classmates,” he adds. I nod again. “Can you tell me what re­sults you’re playing for?”

My words gush forth between tears. “Well...that my hard work will reward me with a really successful career...and a beautiful home...and a beautiful healthy husband...or partner, and, um, beautiful healthy children, and a beautiful dog...the dog part I now have.”

“What I hear you say is that you’re playing for perfection,” states Richard. I nod again, wiping my eyes with the tissues that he hands me. “Why do you feel you have to have per­fection in what you do and in your relationships?”

“So I can have a good life.”

“Perfection doesn’t exist, Maddy. It’s the imperfect that’s perfect.”

“Is that a conundrum?”

He grins and continues. “Do you think you can have a good life accepting the way things are in the moment?” “I’m trying to accept myself right now.”

“That’s great. Can you explain to me just how you are doing that?”

“By not being so critical of myself, and repeating affir­mations that I’m good enough as I am right now. Good enough for myself, at least.”

“Sounds like you don’t believe you’re good enough for anyone else.”

I nod again.

“Maddy. Love is simply about growing with another person, which just so happens to put the lights on your character defects, so if you’re stuck on perfection, you’re stuck on stagnation, and that’s not growing either alone or with someone else. When you stop growing in a rela­tionship, you’re done and you move on so you can con­tinue to grow, whether that’s with another person or not. But people like to get attached to people, to things, to concepts. I’ll tell you this much—the more attached someone is to those things, the more difficult their death will be.”

I nod.

“There’s really nothing for you to get, Maddy. You get it. All you have to do is be...and just let life happen.”

“But when I be, I get bored. Is that agitated depression?”

He smiles. “That’s schpilkes, as your uncle would say.” He sighs and gently pats my hand. “I want you to do something for me. I want you to pretend that you have three days left to live and to plan your own funeral. Write down for me every detail you can, who you want to speak, what you want said and by whom, what you want to leave, if you want to be cremated or buried in a casket and anything else you can think of. And I also want you to write a letter to your uncle with your left hand.”

“But I’m right-handed.”

“That’s why I want you to write it with your left. Some folks call it activating the inner child. I call it slowing down the schpilkes.

I smile at that.

“Meet me at the corner of Jefferson and Eagle Point to­morrow, an hour before we open.”

“Okay,” I say. “What about you, Richard? What’s your love story?”

“I was married once for twenty-one years. My wife passed away and, well, I’ve grown accustomed to the role of loner and it suits me just fine.”

“What about now, are you growing?”

“When you’re helping others, you’re always growing.”

And all the way home with Sid by my side, I wonder how Richard Wright got to be so wise—and would I ever be that wise? It was something I wouldn’t have to wonder about much longer.

That night, I sit in a hot bubble bath by candlelight think­ing about my three remaining days on earth and writing out my own funeral plan, which I title “The Life Celebration of Madison Banks.” Siddhartha lies next to the tub keeping vigil over me.

Later, in front of a warm fireplace and with Siddhartha at my side, I hold up the Ziploc bag with Uncle Sam inside and show it to Sid.

“Sid, meet Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam, this is Sid, short for Sid­dhartha, and also with an S because she was named after you.” I place the bag on the coffee table and begin awkwardly writ­ing a letter to Uncle Sam with my left hand. The process is tedious.

Dear Uncle Sam,

I miss you so much...I wish I could talk to you. I am filled with...sadness and regret. I regret not getting mar­ried and being able to have you see me walk down the aisle. I regret...not having children so you could be there to enjoy them with me.

Feelings rise to the surface between the words I compose.

Suddenly, I start to cry. “Oh my God,” I exclaim. “I get it. I get it.” I look at the dust of Uncle Sam in the Ziploc bag. An epiphany takes hold, Uncle Sam is all around me. I lift my fingers to gently rub the air in front of my face. “I get it,” I repeat. And this time, I weep for joy.

Next day, Sid and I meet Richard at the crossroads. It’s a half mile to the bar.

Richard greets me. “Do you have your funeral prepara­tions?” I nod. “And the letter to Sam?” I nod again. “May I have them?” I hand them over. “Okay, Maddy, for the next four hours, you’re dead. You can’t say a word, you can’t make a comment, you certainly can’t tend the bar, and you can’t pay attention to Sid. Now let’s walk to your funeral.” Rich­ard starts walking.

I feel funny. I finally take a step forward and follow him, realizing I no longer have the capacity to speak or be heard. Sid walks between the two of us.

Richard turns to the puppy, now approximately seven months old. “So, Sid, how are you doing, sweetness? You miss your mom? I know. She took good care of you, didn’t she? We’ll find out very soon who she instructed to take care of you.” I watch Sid hang by Richard as he talks to her. I feel a pang in my heart. I can’t talk or hold Sid, because I’m dead.

When we reach the bar and go inside, Richard pulls a large white sheet out of the back office. He instructs dead me to sit at the bar and then places the cloth over me. Sid can no longer see me and starts to whimper. It breaks my heart but I force myself to remain quiet. I listen as Richard sets the bar up, predicting every one of the customs in his routine. I hear him unlock the refrigerator, followed by the extra liquor bin. I hear him walk to the front door and flip the Open sign around. I hear Sid’s paw steps follow Richard around as if Sid knows I’m gone and is looking to see who she is supposed to latch on to. I hear new noises that break away from the routine: sounds of a bottle being opened followed by a quick pouring of liquid.

“I’m going to really miss your mom, Sid,” says Richard. Then I hear him swallow some liquid and place a shot glass on the bar. Just then, I hear another person’s footsteps. Sounds like Guy. Must be Guy. But he’s early, I think.

As Guy walks toward the bar he asks, “Where’s Maddy?” I can practically see Richard cock his head toward me and I hear him reply, “She died.”

“Oh,” says Guy. “I’m gonna miss her.” He’s bent down to pet Sid. “Who’s gonna look after the dog?”

“I’m sure we’ll find out at the funeral. It starts in fifteen minutes,” says Richard.

“In that case you better only give me half a beer to start. I don’t want to be sloshed at her service.”

I hear the front door open and close. Feet and paws shuf­fle against the floor. I can tell it’s Wally. “I’m not too late, am I?” he asks.

“No,” says Richard.

The door opens and closes again followed by more pit­ter-patter of Sid’s paws.

“Hello, Siddhartha!” says the sweet voice of Mrs. Jones, the librarian. A bar stool scrapes against the floor as she takes a seat. “Hello, Richard, Guy, Wally.” Richard must have planned this, I think. Wally and Mrs. Jones never come in this early.

“Everybody, could you please move your bar stools so we’re all sitting around the deceased.” I listen as the stools squeak along the floor. Richard continues. “We’re here this evening to mourn the passing of Madison Banks. I have with me her instructions regarding her passing.” Papers rus­tle. I wonder how on earth he’s going to read my writing. Much of what I wrote came in a flush of thoughts. I could not write fast enough to keep up with the ideas that poured out. Had I known he was going to read them, I would have made my instructions legible.

“Okay,” says Richard. “It says here that Maddy would like her funeral to be held at Clark Lake at her Uncle Sam’s cot­tage. For a two-day...I can’t tell, that might say three-day...event. First, she wants her friend Sierra to put together a life bio video, which she would like shown at night out­side under the stars against a big screen, weather permitting, she writes. She wants her mother and father to speak about her, her best friend Sierra, and her nephew Andy...if he’s up for it—I think that’s what that says. She’d like her brother, a poet, to write an original poem about her and read it for everyone. She would like Maurice LeSarde to sing “Fishing Free” live and in person, and then for her mother to lead everyone in telling a story about her around...I think that says scrambled eggs and rye toast, Neshama sausage and some sort of...cookie, I think....”

Neshama sausages, I think to myself. It means “soul,” but I forgot to write that down. The thought makes my mouth water for them, but those taste sensations are only memories now in this moment, never to be experienced again.

“She would like everyone to take a sunset ride on a big pontoon boat and have her ashes cast into Clark Lake...while the film score from the movie To Kill A Mockingbird plays.” I can see in my mind’s eye Richard struggling to decipher my writing. “Oh, it says here, she also wants her favorite... Can you read that, Lillian?”

There is a pause and then Mrs. Jones says, “It looks like the word client.”

“Thanks.” Richard continues. “She wants her favorite clients, Arthur Pintock and Norm Pearl, to attend, as well. For the exit song, she wants everyone to walk out with open umbrellas that are to be funeral favors with her initials on them, and—wow, this is hard to read—everyone is to leave...the...party...to the tune of—let’s see, what’s that say?— Oh, ‘Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head,’ by Burt Bacharach. She would also like a... I think that says sculpture made of her...like the one of Uncle Sam.”

I remain still under the sheet feeling more and more awk­ward. I’m angry at myself for not making the directions more clear and yet there’s nothing I can do because I’m dead. And in an even weirder way, getting upset doesn’t really matter anymore, because I am...dead. I feel a tremen­dous sense of frustration that things are not perfect. That my intentions are all messed up. At the same time, I feel a complete and utter relief that the desire to be perfect no longer exists...because I’m dead and, well, what difference does it make? Tempering all of my feelings brings a sense of ac­ceptance for what is right now. It feels unfamiliar, yet oddly peaceful.

“She wants her sculpture to represent a person of ideas. She wants everything she owns to be divided between her family and Sierra. She wants all of her business ideas to go to Victor...Winston...who she believes can turn them into something one day. And she would like Victor Winston and Professor Osaka to start an entrepreneurial think tank in her name with twenty-five percent of whatever she may have left in her estate. She wants her mother Eleanor to take care of Sid, but for Sid to spend part of her time at the Eagle’s Nest bar, under the supervision of Richard Wright...and she would like everyone to have drinks on her at the Eagle’s Nest.”

I can almost see all of them smiling.

“Does that mean free drinks tonight?” asks Wally.

“Is that any way to pay your respects, Wally?” Mrs. Jones chastises.

“Sorry,” he says.

“Well, those are her instructions, as best as I can read them. Does anyone have anything they’d like to say about Maddy?”

“I think she was really special,” says Guy. “She always made me feel like I mattered.”

“Yes,” says Richard. “And she had a real sense of justice, didn’t she?”

“I think it was very hard for her not to want to take care of people or to help them make their dreams come true,” says Mrs. Jones. “To the point where it superseded her tak­ing care of herself.”

I shrink inside. Am I that transparent? It feels so strange to hear people talk about me as if I’m not there, but I am there, only I’m dead-there.

“Even when I was down, which is pretty much all the time, she picked me up with that spark in her eye,” says Wally.“ And sharing Sid with us has always been a nice thing to do. Ya know...she let me take Sid home one night when I just didn’t feel like being alone. And she promised not to tell anyone, cuz I didn’t want to look like a wuss or anything.”

“That’s a lovely story,” says Mrs. Jones. “I liked that she liked to offer her opinion about whatever mattered to others and to her.”

“What did you think of her opinions?” asks Richard.

“She had strong ones,” says Guy. “Good ones. I think if she could have gone back in time, she would have really given it to that groomer who killed Dunlop.”

This time, through the sheet, I can see Richard smiling over that one.

“She didn’t think lightly about things, did she?” asks Richard.

“No. She was always thinking,” says Guy. “You could see it in her eyes.”

“Yes, I think you could call her a deep thinker,” adds Rich­ard. “Let’s all take a moment to think deeply about Maddy in silence.”

I sit still under the cloth sheet, not really sure how to feel— after all, feeling dead is a whole new experience for me.

Perhaps a minute passes, then Richard says, “Let’s carry her toward the lake.”

Suddenly hands and arms grope my sides and legs and back as I am lifted from the bar stool and carried to the wa­terfront.

Great, I think, wondering if the finale is a toss in the lake. Well, that would surely wake the dead beast in me. Dead beast in me? Do I have a dead beast? What is it? Some part of me that refuses to live in the moment? The part that’s on a never-ending quest for perfection before life can be lived? The part that prefers to wallow in some form of self-pity? I feel my body placed gently down upon the docks. I hear the water lap underneath it. I feel Sid paw at my side and hear her whimper. Of everyone, I’ll miss Sid the most, I think. Sid is the one who opened my heart, got me out of a worka­holic modus operandi because she needed me. To be needed. To love...so you can grieve. Would Sid grieve the most for me? In her own doglike way? What about Victor? Would he miss me? We started to connect but then he sent me away. What was that about?

I feel a light breeze glide over me. I wonder if dead peo­ple think the way I am thinking now, only from outside of their bodies. Did Uncle Sam feel that way? What if there were words left unsaid? How would they ever communicate to their loved ones again, or did it just not matter anymore from this altered state. Not to sound cliché, but maybe that’s why it’s so very important to say what you feel when you feel it, because the opportunity may never come again, at least not in the physical realm.

“Everyone, let’s lift the sheet,” says Richard. The sheet slides off me. “Madison, you can live again,” he says.

To my ears, it’s the most beautiful decree I’ve ever heard. Richard, Guy, Wally and Mrs. Jones all give me compas­sionate hugs. I bend over and hug Sid, who showers me with a facial licking.

“What was that experience like?” asks Richard.

“That was really powerful. I think that by learning how to die...I just learned how to live.”

“That’s exactly the point of the exercise. Most people don’t get that until they actually experience a simulation like this.”

“How do you know how to do this?”

“I used to teach it to funeral directors in mortuary school.”

“Well, you should teach it again. Everyone on the planet should go through this...including presidents and dicta­tors! Think about it, it might curtail war and help social programs—”

“I told you she had strong opinions,” says Guy.

“That’s what we love about her,” says Mrs. Jones.

“Does this mean free drinks now?” asks Wally.

“Yes,” I declare. “Free drinks for all of you!”

Back inside the bar, Richard and I pour free drinks for Wally, Guy and Mrs. Jones, while a bevy of other regulars enter.

Richard turns to me. “So, what was it like writing the let­ter to Sam?”

“It was strange writing with my left hand. It forced my thoughts to slow down and between the thoughts these epiphanies kept popping up.”

“Like what?”

“Like I realized that if I ever get married, Uncle Sam would still be there. He could still watch me walk down the aisle because...he didn’t really die. He’s still with me, here, just in a different way.” I look at the black ribbon on my black T-shirt. “I realize...I don’t have to wear the black ribbon anymore.”

Richard smiles. “You got that? Most people don’t get that, but when you do get that, it’s in the most profound and pow­erful way.”

“Yeah,” I agree. “It’s powerful. Look, Richard, I’ve been thinking. Why don’t you write this all down? Turn it into a pamphlet or manual on how to grieve and how to create meaningful tributes. You could call it the ‘Pamphlet on Griev­ing & the Nontraditional Personalized Tribute Experience.’”

“I’m not a writer, Maddy,” says Richard. “But I’ll tell you what. I’ll talk it through and you write it up. I’ll cover the grief part and you cover the tributes, and we’ll co-author it.”

I feel the old flame in my eyes flicker to life. “Okay, you’re on,” I say. We clink glasses.

“Hey, Maddy,” says Rocky from the other end of the bar, still in his mailman attire. “I forgot to drop this in your mail­box. From Winston Capital in L.A. Can I give it to you here?” He pulls out a letter for me.

Richard recognizes the name on the envelope. “Go ahead, take five,” he says.

Sid and I cross over to the outdoor patio, away from cus­tomers. I open the letter. “Now what do you suppose Mr. Winston has to say, Sid?”

Dear Maddy,

Life sounds good on Clark Lake. Sorry not to write sooner. I’ve been embroiled with a merger-acquisition in biotech. Talk about merging cultures and organiza­tional behavior. A leader who can’t bring the two together inherently affects productivity. When goals aren’t clear, people’s roles in companies aren’t, either, result­ing in a chaotic clash between personal and corporate objectives. Aside from that, the launch of Designer Tank was a success. Norm Pearl decided to integrate all of our products into his office-apartment-lofts in NYC. Funny how you seem connected to all of this. They all ask about you and I’ve told them you’re on a retreat and doing well. They said if they can help with the resur­rection of Lights Out, to let them know. In the meantime, how’s the digging? Need an extra hand? I happen to be good with a shovel. Let me know. Perhaps an advisory board meeting is in order. Any local bowling al­leys around you?

Yours truly,

Victor Winston

“What do you think, Sid? Want some company?” Sid and I slip into the back office where an antiquated computer sits. I get online and send Victor a quick e-mail: “Dear Victor, Yes...come for advisory board meeting. Digging is all done but polishing the uncovered relics is an option. Come whenever. You can always find Sid and me at the Eagle’s Nest. Beers are on me. Yours, Maddy.”

I send the e-mail and write a quick one to my lawyer, Todd Lake. “Need you to please trademark ‘Pamphlet on Grieving and the Nontraditional Personalized Tribute Ex­perience.’ That done, I register a blog Web site for the pam­phlet. And suddenly I feel very much alive.

----------------------------------

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

We hope you enjoyed this chapter of The Funeral Planner!  We will be posting a chapter every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you just can’t wait to read the latest episode about Maddy, Eve and Sierra and their entrepreneurial adventures The Funeral Planner Trilogy is available online at the usual suspects (Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Sony). Also check out LynnIsenberg.com for more information.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76 1 14
Dan's life is forever changed when his plan to have a child at the same time as his best friend Harry goes awry. The community Dan finds in his newly...
76 16 16
As Katrina walks down the aisle to marry Aaron, the man once married to her late sister, she finds herself torn between her desire for revenge and he...
4.1K 140 36
"You've become so damaged that when someone tries to give you what you deserve, you have no idea how to respond." He says taking a step closer to me...
16 0 3
Leaving her well-planned life behind in Manhattan, New York, twenty-four year old Heart Noel chases her dream on becoming a big-time event planner in...