100StepsToHeaven

By TheReaLemon_Juice

Suffering. This is the tragic story of a woman who struggles to find the reason behind her existence. She liv... More

Chapter 1: The Hatchling

2 0 0
By TheReaLemon_Juice

Her widened eyes pin to the sickly light; the woman hadn't moved an inch on the bed.

Tick.    Tick.     Tick.
From the distance a jet-haired man studies her scrawny, black-sludged face; disappointed yet unsurprised. Before he knew it rain thunders down the crippled trees outside, blaring, roaring like an avalanche of boulders. He is allured towards the forest where he had found her.

“Such a shame, she had such beautiful red eyes.” In her empty pupils he could see lighting reflect in silent flashes of white; though a sinister raven shrieks away the quietude. He looks at her with a menacing gaze.

“No one likes an enigma.”

The man rises from his throne chair and saunters into his bedroom. He sinks into his grey, king-sized solitude.

That feeling one week ago…… I wonder, was that you? No, it doesn't matter, you're dead now. The least you could've done was tell me your name.

The next morning he rises from his bed and gazes over the window, a frosty glaze forms over his reflection. Lucifer slips on a black suit, slides on a blue tie and hurries without so much as a glance over the sofa.

Many people of this country tend to speak of this man, some would describe his work place as a giant white palace towering three storeys high, some others like to point out how his wealth and status remain unmatched -though amongst these discussions he could see her nonchalantly leaning against a pillar; waiting.

“Long time no see, Lucy." The woman confronts him with cat-like eyes and a long, sinister grin.

"I see you've been well." Her villainous smile revolts him, Lucifer sinks deep into his pockets and scowls. “But please, get my name right next time.”

The woman’s grin widens. "Hmmm, I'll have to think about it…… Anyway, Lucy, you have more paperwork to do. I'll send it to you through Heather. From the looks of it those annoying elves are up to something again.” He could see her face melt back into a stern guise, her voice deepens with each word she speaks. “WATCH YOUR BACK.”

He studies the louring swarm of clouds. Just for a moment she is entranced by his ink hair and ocean-blue eyes, she found it difficult to believe that a man like him would have a history like that.

“No Ayumi, I think you’ve been mistaken.” His blue eyes flicker to hers. “There's no way those elves can plan a revolt, -and that stupid Rosell is the reason why. I’ve been thinking, perhaps they're looking for someone.”

“Like who?”

“Dunno……” Thunder clouds tumble in. Ayumi turns to him, eyes pinned with caution.

“-Though, that's not the only reason.”

“Just what do you mean?” She wonders.

“Hmmm…… Well Ayu, you’ll just have to join me to find out.” Lucifer smiles his devilish smile.

Out from the shadows Lucifer and Ayumi loom towards an unsuspecting elf; she sits sternly within the dimly-lit chamber. They dance around her in anticipation, each step they make reverberates through the room like thunder and lightning. Her widened eyes snap from place to place with every resounding step. Ayumi leans right over her, her merciless, bloodthirsty eyes stare mockingly into her soul.

“Oh, It's you. Could you please stop staring at me?” Though Ayumi remains unimpressed, in her mind Rosell was no more than a fragile little girl. “I SAID STO-”

“-SHUT YOUR MOUTH. I only take orders from the strong.” A gasp escapes the elf’s lips. At the same time a hand reassures Ayumi; she steadily backs away.

“That's enough. I'll take over from here.” Lucifer smiles to the elf, his towering silhouette swallows her into a sea of black. “Rosell, Queen of Elfin Silva, do you understand why you are here?” She merely shakes her head as she notices a pair of feet land towards her.

“You have proposed to take over the unclaimed country of Angelus Domini, -and you do this due to…... overpopulation?”

Rosell nods. “-Yes that is correct, so why have you summoned me here? Lucifer?” Ayumi folds her arms and snaps away, utterly unconvinced.

“As a matter of fact,” His voice deepens, “I have summoned you here under violation of civil rights.”

“-T-that is impossible!” The elf’s words resound in the room. Lucifer stares at her skeptically, he scrunches his lips and studies her every movement like a hawk.

“Oh, is it really?” Lucifer could already see the guilt reflected in her crystal-green eyes. “Comparing the data I was provided against the report I received last year, it appears that the average amount of space for each citizen has…... Doubled somehow?”

Within his taunting blue eyes she confronts her own reflection. “I-I don't understand how this has anything to do with violation of-”

“-So you lied.” Lucifer tilts his head and squints mockingly at her.

“Simply put: you just wanted to use ‘overpopulation’ as an excuse to snatch that country. Since the required space for each elf HAS NOT YET doubled, for the next two decades Elfin Silva has enough space to sustain the growing population. In other words: you don't need Angelus Domini, right Ayumi?”

“Why yes it is! That's why they're planning a revo-”

“-But why would you lie about this I wonder?” Ayumi mumbles under her breathe, within the sea of silence Rosell glares at him.

“Its simple really, the answer lies within the shifting house market.” He runs his slender fingers against the glossy wooden table, tapping it, all the while gazing into his own reflection.

“Out of all the countries in the world, Elfin Silva easily has the most billionaires. I'm sure we can all agree on that can't we?” Her eyes twitch, flicker and shift ever so slightly. “With all these billionaires at your fingertips, the demand for luxury housing exploded. Boom! And you are definitely one to turn Angelus Domini, that poor, unofficial country, into a country for the rich!” Revulsion cracks her calm demeanor. “I admit it's not a terrible idea, grabbing Angelus Domini and sprinkling all these luxury mansions would be great for your economy, -but it would also be devastating for theirs. Before you know it, inflation would set everything alight and the rich would be enslaving everyone's backs. You're destroying an entire country's way of life knowing full-well of the consequences, and that's why, Rosell, it is a violation of civil rights.”

She ditches her seat and dares to confront Lucifer, a defiant glint sparking in her black-slit eyes.

“NO. YOU’RE WRONG.” His confident grin quickly dissolves away. How in the world could he possibly be wrong?

Then a finger shoots to Ayumi.

“It's a revolt. Just like that woman said.” Ayumi stumbles back; surprised but skeptical by her words. In contrast he remains unfazed, and it irks her.

“That's an interesting curveball you got there…... -But it won't work.” A dark cast drapes over his remorseless gaze, down below he was no different from a savage monster. Powerlessness sweeps through her mind like a wave, but that look in his eyes, nothing can describe it; it was practically disgust, revulsion and disappointment combined into a single glance. Even to Ayumi he barely qualifies as human.

“Listen up, there’s two ways I can choose to interpret this: By screwing over Angelus Domini you can enslave all the citizens to join your pathetic rebellion. Alternatively, this is a bluff to unofficially break off our alliance, rendering this whole ‘violation of civil rights’ useless as I am positioned to think I no longer have power over you. In the end however, neither is correct -and the answer is simple: Rosell, you’re jealous of me aren't you? Is this some pathetic situation you orchestrated to belittle me?” Like a ferocious beast she scowls at the jet-haired man, her eyes were perilous daggers scoffing away at his face. There is no way she is going to tolerate his treatment.

“I-!”

“-Rosell…...” His smile was merciless and demeaning. “You’ve already lost.” One by one all the government officials emerge from the shadows. Amidst their disappointed faces Ayumi stands there, smirking, with a voice recorder in hand.

Shit.

Thump…...Thump...Thump thump thump. A tightening heart entangles her grasps.

I see now. Lucifer’s taunting was no accident, he distracted me so that woman could go behind my back to start the recording. Dammit! He really caught me off guard there…...However…

With a single swipe Rosell flicks the sweat off of her face, frowning. She stirs an unsettling presence which calls for Lucifer's eye.

“Ugh. So you're trying to frame me is that it? Honestly, I expected so much better from you……” Confused whispers sweep over the crowd. “I mean, at no point did I think that anyone was dumb enough to fall for that, -but it seems that you sure did.” Swiftly she turns to the crowd, arms crossed and disappointed.

“You're always trying to deceive everyone Lucifer, and this time is no different. I would never wish harm to the people of Angelus Domini. No one likes to be oppressed, no one likes to be framed, and that's why we’re starting a rebellion: to shatter your immoral rule.” The crowd looks up to her in absolute awe, for a moment she is like the symbol of hope amongst a sea of feigned despair. However her spotlight doesn’t last long. Beside Lucifer, Ayumi and herself, everything freezes. She quickly whisks to her surroundings; not a blink occurs amongst the sea of hunched faces.

“Rosell, Queen of Elfin Silva, do you understand why you are here?”

Hesitantly she turns, just what was that man was trying to pull? “Huh? You just asked me that ques-”

“-And you never provided me with an honest answer. Now, answer truthfully.”

Tick. Tick. Tick.
From the distance this jet-haired man reviews her bewildered face, disappointed yet unsurprised. He can remember the first time he had met her: young, bright, -and not willing to screw over an entire country. Though all those memories disappear as drops of envy bleed through the cracks of her facade. Ayumi sees it too, but she drifts further away to the edge of action.

“I haven't done anything.”

Each step of his is like thunder resounding in every corner of the room. His eyes watch her like a predator watches their prey; raw and frightening. Step by step the gap between them shortens while the knot of their relationship; all the memories and smiles become undone. A heavy, hollow pain weighs down on Rosell’s heart.

“Oh come on! Don't give me that look Lucifer, out of all people you should know that I wouldn't do such a thing like that.”

That is when everyone snaps back into motion, watching, each breath frustrating and intense.

“-And no one likes a liar.”

Silence reeks for a moment.

“What?”

“I said: you're right, no one likes to be oppressed or framed, however the same can be said for liars Ms Rosell. Just take a look and see for yourself.”

Rosell shifts to the crowd and endures their hardened looks, she quickly darts back to Ayumi.  Merciless eyes flick to Rosell as nonchalant fingers dangle from the recording button. Rosell’s heart pangs violently in her chest.

No! -When did she stop recording?!!! W-What if she uses it to frame me even further?! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!!! What do I do?! I didn't account for this at all!!! Can I even do anything?! What do I-

Then his blue eyes caught her attention. It was at the moment she realises:

Oh, I already lost.

Ayumi turns to Lucifer while Rosell drills her widened eyes into the ground; dumbfounded. Striding steps land back to Rosell followed by a raw, frightening scowl.

“The shows over, Queen of Elfin Silva. I hope you've learned something from this.” His smile quickly fades as the government officials shuffle to the exit. Ayumi turns to him, eyes slicked with fear as he quickly readjusts his blue tie. That is when Rosell stops.

I understand now.

Her green eyes flicker to his. She detects a large crack between them and not long so does Lucifer. That revolting look in Rosell’s eyes burns itself into his mind, evil, heck, even villainous. Her smirk commands a chill down his spine.

I understand now, Lucifer. By winning this dispute, you’re ensuring that you have no power over me in future due to our now severed alliance. You may have won the battle but now I’ve gained a massive advantage in the war: I get to do whatever I want without the chains or the tug of your puppet strings. I win.

Each toxic breathe of the chamber invitingly fills her lungs. She glides her fingers over a black curtain, gently pulling it open as if she were looking into a coffin.

“It appears I've learned something from this after all.” Her voice deepens as she confronts his gaze. “King, prepare for war.”

Tick. Tick. Tick.
Before he knew it she was already gone. Amid the darkness Ayumi rests her hand on his shoulder reassuringly.

“You have a plan don't you?” A devilish grin creeps onto his face.

“You know me so well.” Lucifer saunters into the darkness as Rosell’s words linger in Ayumi’s mind. That's when he stops and turns.

“However, that doesn't mean we shouldn’t be slightly worried. Ayumi, don’t let me down.” His silhouette fades into the distant black shadows; Ayumi trails behind him, smiling.

Before he knew it he is back at that dull, dark, decrepit front door. Lucifer drapes to the frosty door knob and leisurely strolls in. Rain cascades down like boulders on the roof, however the piercing cry of a Raven overpowers it.
Squawk! Squawk! Squawk!
It hovers down from its wooden perch to tend to its nest of hatchlings.

Then he notices that the bookshelf greeting his entrance is…...different. Did someone break in?!  How did someone discover this location?! Has Rosell planned an ambush?! Amongst these string of questions flowing  red hair catches his eye. A beautiful woman sits on that crimson sofa, a picture book of all his favourite stories rests calmly in her hands.
Then she turns to him and smiles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.9K 3.8K 54
Elite3532, an individual who can be considered as an icon among the Tensura fandom community failed in accomplishing his dream... As he regretted his...
31.9K 57 12
Smut 18+ ONLY! ⚠️WARNING⚠️ ⚠️CONTAINS MUTURE CONTENT⚠️ 22 year old Raven Johnson is just going to her yearly doctors appointment, little does she kno...
480K 17.9K 69
Reincarnated Series #01 Isabelle loves reading books, especially novels. One time, she read a famous novel called 'Grow Old with You'. Isabelle was...