The Guardian

By TheReluctantRealist

A murder. A conspiracy. A scandal. And the man holding the key long dead. ***... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 14

644 58 4
By TheReluctantRealist

"Ximi? I always wanted to ask you, why have you pierced your nose? As far as I know, nose pins aren't common in our culture."

Kamaria sipped her mead. Ximi smiled at her and turned towards her plate.

"Gravy?"

"Yes, please."

Ximi spoke as she served Kamaria.

"I read that in the olden times, Seers used to pierce parts of their bodies so that the Moon could focus the visions and identify them. I pierced my nose because it lies the closest to my eyes. And it looks pretty, doesn't it?"

"It does. Is it made of silver?"

Ximi swatted her on the arm.

"Of course it isn't, silly. Silver would burn my face off. It is made of platinum and has a small diamond embedded into it."

The conversation between the two went unnoticed in the bustling hall. As usual, the dining hall was populous with the lords and the ladies of the court, who had, according to custom, assembled to sup together.

A booming laugh towards her right had Kamaria's gaze falling upon an inebriated Sebastian, who had chosen that precise moment to pull Charlotte into his lap and kiss her fiercely, causing the room to erupt into raucous laughter.

"That reminds me!"

Ximi slapped a hand to her temple.

"Huh?"

Ximi looked at Kamaria apologetically.

"I am sorry that I won't be able to accompany you to the library. I have decided to have a session this full moon and need to inform Xanor to pass on requests if any. I also need to prepare my solar."

"Can I watch you? Please?"

Ximi grinned at Kamaria's glee.

"Yes, you can. Just follow my instructions and you will be fine."

"Your Highness?"

The two turned to see a serving girl smiling at them awkwardly.

"I am sorry to interrupt you, Your Highness. Would you like some cocoa?"

Ximi shook her head.

"No, thank you. Kamaria would like some, won't you?"

"I would like to try."

The girl smiled at her as she placed a steaming goblet in front of Kamaria.

As soon as the girl left, Kamaria turned to Ximi.

"What is this?"

"It is a drink, a Doracrean specialty. Only the nobles of the Citadel are able to taste this. It is ridiculously expensive, and is one of the main goods imported from Doracre. I don't like it."

Kamaria stared into her mug. The steamy liquid was the colour of the summer silt the streams brought down from the peaks of the Ruosk. She inhaled the vapours and recoiled. Closing her eyes, she sipped the liquid tentatively.

Kamaria coughed as the liquid burned her mouth and throat. Her stomach heaved, trying to repel the foul fluid. A dull ache pounded at her temples and Kamaria felt weak.

Cocoa harms me.

She sneaked a glance at Ximi who was chatting with the ladies.

Does it hurt her wolf too? I am certain that it won't affect her as much as it affects me. She has a human soul.

Kamaria swore as she saw the nobles gulp the steaming liquid fervently.

They are poisoning their souls.

***

Xanor stared at the mug in his hand, baffled. His favourite drink now felt alien in his hands.

Why am I not able to bring myself to drink it?

He raised the mug to his lips. The beast flinched and growled.

It harms my wolf!

Stunned, he looked around the hall. He could see Charlotte gulping hers down while her other hand reached for Sebastian's mug which was lying unattended. His gaze fell on Ximi and he saw her shake her head as she handed her mug to a serving girl.

She knows.

Xanor couldn't understand how Ximi's aversion to cocoa had gone unnoticed by him. Sipping his wine, he closed his eyes, recalling all the times she had refused cocoa, even though their parents had tried to coax her into trying it. Everyone had wanted her to try it.

Everyone except Gamma Karys.

He sat up, astounded. As far as he could remember, Gamma Karys had always refused cocoa.

"Xanor? You look a bit strange."

He shook off his thoughts and turned to Ximi, who was standing in front of him with Kamaria. His eyes trailed over Kamaria's body which was encased in a flowing gown, hiding her curves. He clenched his fists when his fickle mind recalled her lustful gaze from the afternoon; she hadn't glanced his way since then and he was annoyed.

"I am alright. What happened?"

"I am having a session this full moon. I want my solar to be equipped with the materials by tomorrow."

"When is the full moon?"

"The day after tomorrow. Pass on any requests you have."

She slapped her forehead.

"Oh! I almost forgot. Inform the master that Kamaria wouldn't be able to attend her lessons for the next three days as she is indisposed."

"Why?" He turned to Kamaria, who refused to meet his questioning gaze. "Is it plaguing you still?"

Ximi spoke.

"She wants to see me Swaying. Let her off this time, will you?"

He nodded.

Can we talk after dinner?

She met his gaze.

Sure. Meet me in my room.

***

The man handed his companion a steaming goblet.

"Cocoa?"

The other man sipped it.

"This is delicious. How come have I never tried this before?"

"It is available only in the Citadel."

The flickering flame of the candle cast the master's face into light.

"Won't your absence at supper be noted?"

The older man smirked.

"I prefer to sup in my quarters."

The master sighed.

"Why have you brought me here?"

"How is the girl?"

The master hid his lascivious grin.

"The girl is clever. She finished learning her letters within a moon and has now progressed to reading and writing. For a country wench, her brain is sharp."

The man turned to him.

"I want that whore away from the king. Nysa tells me that he spends his nights with her. Keep the whore busy."

"Alright."

"How are the trials progressing?"

The master shook his head.

"The wombs keep collapsing. I don't think the foetuses are viable."

"Increase the dose. And keep me informed."

The master bowed.

"Er...my lord?"

The man turned.

"Yes, Tabar?"

"Can we include Kamaria in the trials?"

The man thought for a moment.

"I think we can. But be careful. The brat has a soft corner for the whore. It would be best to wait till Nysa succeeds."

"Yes, my lord."

Tabar's eyes gleamed.

***

Ximi looked up from the manuscript as she felt Xanor's presence at the door.

The door is open. Come in and lock it behind you.

She placed the manuscript on the bed as she felt Xanor enter.

"What is it?"

Her eyebrows creased with concern as she searched Xanor's troubled face. He sighed as laid down on the bed, his vivid hair a raging fire against the obsidian sheets.

"My wolf recoiled and growled when I tried to drink the cocoa. I had never felt troubled by the drink before, but my wolf seems affected. Why?"

"Do you know why I never drink cocoa? Because Gamma Karys never drank it. His wolf was awake. Cocoa poisons our wolves."

"Ximi?"

"I am talking to you, aren't I, Xanor?"

"Ximi, what am I? I know I am a werewolf, but who am I? What is my wolf? Help me, Ximi, please."

She was shocked at the desperation in his face. His eyes were eclipses while his pupils were voids. His forehead glistened under the firelight.

She placed his head onto her lap, and combed her fingers through his hair, patting his forehead. A sudden wave of nostalgia overcame her, her eyes grew wet as she remembered the nights in their childhood when he used to come to her room, scared to face his demons alone. Ximi had had demons of her own, yet the warmth of her brother's body next to her had given her hope.

"You're a werewolf. A son of the Moon. Your soul has two halves. The human one and the wolf one."

She took a deep breath as she continued, gazing into the fire, as she remembered the Gamma's tales.

"Your human half is your rank in the pack, it is your name, it is the identity this skin of yours has. But your wolf half? Your wolf half is special. It is your wolf that separates you from the human world. It is your wolf that gives you the courage to face the terrors of the wild. It is your wolf that has a mate. Your wolf is who you are."

"So, I have been poisoning him all this time?"

She smiled at him.

"No. Your wolf was dormant. Asleep. Unconscious like the souls of the people of our realm. But yes, he was dying. The cocoa was just letting him die faster."

"Why? What is happening?"

"I don't know. No one knows. A few millennia ago, something happened to our kind. The realm changed. The people changed. Their balanced souls were thrown into chaos. And then, the wolfkind lost the most important gift Madhi had given them."

Xanor sat up. His eyes were wide with anticipation.

"The mate bond. Two souls, made for one another, bound by the threads of fate, joined by the will of the Moon. Your mate is your joy, your world, your purpose of existence. Your wolf yearns for her, chases her, waits for her."

"Wait! If my wolf was lying dormant, then how do I have a mate?"

Ximi smiled.

"I don't know. Something is underfoot. Something, something is about to happen. You might wonder why am I saying this, but listen. Your wolf was awakened by your mate."

Xanor was baffled.

"Huh?"

She rolled her eyes.

"Your mate is an extremely powerful being. She awakened your wolf. She has accomplished something that is almost impossible. Moreover, you're the king. The Alpha Supreme. And your wolf is awake."

Xanor smirked.

"I know that she is a powerful being. She is a Guardian for the Moon's sake!"

Ximi gasped silently.

What have you planned, My Lady?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 127K 63
Once there was a girl, daughter of an Alpha, who happened to face consequences of the things she had no control over. How? By being ostracized from...
43.8M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
577K 16.9K 56
*Warning - Contains 18+ Content* He holds my face firmly between two hands. "Sienna, I'm not going to have you for the first time one of Maren's gues...
2.9M 66.8K 200
I'm a new grad human in huge debt, and cheated by my Omega boyfriend. When I got wasted in a bar, I didn't expect to have the best sex ever. And the...