A Month To Live

By OmfgItsBecky

What would you do if you had a month to live? With overbearing parents and inattentive friends, Raegan decide... More

A Month To Live (1)
A Month To Live (2)
A Month To Live (3)
A Month To Live (4)
A Month To Live (5)
A Month To Live (6)
A Month To Live (7)
A Month To Live (8)
A Month To Live (9)
A Month To Live (10)
A Month To Live - Bradley (11)
A Month To Live (12)
A Month To Live (13)
A Month To Live (14)
A Month To Live (15)
A Month To Live (16)
A Month To Live (17)
A Month To Live (18)
A Month To Live (19)
A Month To Live (20)
A Month To Live (21)
A Month To Live (22)
A Month To Live (23)
A Month To Live (24)
A Month To Live (25)
A Month To Live (26)
A Month To Live (27)
A Month To Live (28)
A Month To Live (29)
A Month To Live (30)
A Month To Live (31)
A Month To Live (32)
A Month To Live (33)
A Month To Live (35)
A Month To Live (36)
A Month To Live - Bradley (37)
A Month To Live (38)
A Month To Live (39)
A Month To Live (40)
A Month To Live - The Thirieth (41)
A Month To Live (42)
A Month To Live (43)
A Month To Live (44)
A Month To Live (45)
A Month To Live (46)
A Month To Live (47)
A Month To Live (Epilogue)

A Month To Live (34)

18.5K 575 195
By OmfgItsBecky

I wrinkled my nose and shook my head slightly as something tickled my ear. A few seconds later the tickling came back and I batted my hand, hitting something that made an 'ow' noise, too feminine to be Bradley.

I cracked my eyes open in annoyance and spotted Remi leaning over me with a grin.

'Hey,' Remi whispered.

I squinted at her and got blinded by the morning light shining through the slither in the curtains. It felt early still. Too early to be awake on a Sunday.

'What's up?' I asked groggily, leaning up slightly.

It was a difficult task as Bradley currently had his arms in a hold that would put a boa constrictor to shame. I could feel the warmth from his chest seeping into me from where it was pressed snugly against my back. His breath tickled my neck whenever he breathed out. Yep, there better be a damn good reason for me to be awake right now and not passed out asleep in his arms.

'Nothing... hopefully. What happened last night?' she said with a frown as she looked me over. I felt suddenly guilty. I'd pretty much abandoned the family meal and stolen Bradley away too without explanation. I was a total asshole. 'You looked like you were going to faint when I saw you last.'

'I just had a headache,' I mumbled. 'Didn't sleep much the night before. Probably being in the sun all day didn't help.'

'I did come to check on you last night like the amazingly caring friend I am,' she said. 'But you guys were pretty much dead asleep,' she smirked.

'Shut up,' I ordered moodily, untangling my hand from the comforter and trying to ignore her teasing. 'Who pulled the covers up?' I wondered out loud.

'Well it wasn't me so I'm guessing my brother,' Remi said. 'It's too early for me to be awake,' she added before sliding into the far side of the bed and dropping her head onto the pillow with a flump.

The movement seemed to rouse Bradley slightly as he nuzzled his face deeper into the hair at the back of my head and somehow managed to tighten his already iron grasp around me. He made a somewhat satisfied noise and went still again.

'What time is it?' I asked with a yawn, trying to ignore him and his cute ass self. It was an almost impossible task, of course.

'Nearly seven,' she replied, yawning back.

'Why the hell are you awake?' I demanded.

'Suze came in asking if she could borrow some nail polish,' she snorted. 'Then I decided to see if you were awake.'

'I wasn't,' I grumbled.

'What's all the talking about?' Bradley complained from behind me, voice muffled by my hair. He took in a deep breath before making a low noise and loosening his hold slightly to stretch.

'There's a visitor in your bed,' I smirked.

'Too early to talk to Remi,' he yawned before flopping back down and attempting to snuggle into the crook of my neck once more.

I realised then that he liked my hair. I didn't know how I hadn't noticed sooner. Now that I thought about it, he always went out of his way to touch it or stroke it or even pull on it to annoy me. The way he was smelling it right now was a dead giveaway. And he had the nerve to tease me about liking his own hair!

I managed to turn in his grasp and flick him in the middle of his forehead letting out some of my annoyance at his cuteness.

'That's from Remi,' I said.

'Thanks,' he snorted, opening his eyes to squint up at me. 'How's the head?'

'Fine,' I replied shortly. 'It was only a headache.'

He scowled at me but didn't say anything because of Remi's presence. His cheeks were slightly flushed from sleep and his hair was sticking up messily so his scowl, instead of looking evil, looked absolutely adorable.

'So where's your toy boy?' he asked, directing his words at Remi now. I'm glad he chose to ignore my drooling look. Or perhaps he simply didn't notice.

'He was going for a pee when I left him,' she said.

'I didn't ask for his exact location,' Bradley complained as I laughed.

'Jeez, sorry to interrupt the slumber party,' Kyle said sarcastically from the doorway. 'Is this an open invitation?' he added.

'No boys allowed,' I replied.

'Bradley's a guy,' he pointed out.

'You're mistaken.'

'Hey! I can prove it,' Bradley protested.

'We'll all need some evidence to back that claim up,' I teased.

'I'll show you evidence,' he smirked.

'Show Kyle, I think he'll be more interested.'

'Nah I'm good,' Kyle laughed before jumping on the bed beside Remi. 'Your aunt kicked me out of your room while she used the shower,' Kyle said. 'She suggested that I'd be peeking.'

'Looks like Kyle likes older women too,' I laughed, giving Bradley a meaningful look.

'Too?' Kyle asked.

I opened my mouth to explain but Bradley's hand quickly clamped over it so I couldn't talk.

'She's delusional,' he said smoothly.

'If you say so,' Kyle laughed.

'Can everyone shut up? I'm trying to get back to sleep,' Remi growled.

'You're the one who woke us up!' I frowned.

'Actually, it was your annoying voice that woke me up,' Bradley smirked. I turned my scowl onto him as I dropped my head back down on the pillow and pressed my hand over his mouth now.

'Shut up, you,' I muttered. 'Go back to sleep.'

I could feel him grinning against my palm, no intention sleeping. I wanted to though, so I removed my hand from his mouth and gently pushed the hair back from his forehead as his eyes twinkled into mine. The mischievous expression soon departed as his eyes softened. He sure was a sucker for this kind of stuff. All I had to to was lightly stroke his face and hair and he was mine. He was like putty in my hands and when I brushed my thumb over his eyelids, he closed them and let out a low breath he'd been keeping in. Easy peasy.

I snuggled back down into the covers, satisfied that he wouldn't disturb me anymore. Before I could get too comfortable, his arms curled around me again, yanking me towards his chest. I didn't resist - how could I? And I ended up tucked tightly in his arms right where I wanted to be.

* * *

'Early to bed, early to rise, makes you health, wealthy and wise,' a high pitched voice sang. I felt the covers being pulled off and groaned at the sudden cold.

'Ah, Suze, please let us sleep,' Remi moaned from behind me.

'You've had enough, dear,' she replied.

'Let me up,' I murmured to Bradley who still had his arms locked around me.

'How're you, Raegan, dear?' Susan asked with a frown. 'You looked awfully pale last night, you know. I hope Bradley let you get at least some sleep last night.'

'Not too much,' Bradley replied, making me punch him at the suggestion.

'You're young, I'm sure you'll survive,' Susan laughed as I untangled myself from him more violently than necessary.

'I'm fine,' I assured her.

'That's good to hear,' she smiled. She was already dressed in another set of brightly coloured clothes. The green fluffy cardigan really brought together her whole look. 'Now if you all get up I'll make you breakfast... you can't spend the whole day in bed!'

'It's only nine...'

'Up,' she interrupted, narrowing her eyes and sweeping from the room.

'She's got a dark side,' Kyle commented.

We all got up and dressed and by the time I'd made it to the kitchen, Susan had almost finished cooking up a breakfast of bacon and scrambled eggs.

'You sure made a mess,' I laughed, helping her with some of the dirty utensils.

'It's an organised mess,' she corrected. 'I know where everything is.'

I could relate to this woman after all.

'You sound like Remi,' a male voice laughed. Bradley's dad was leaning over the breakfast bar flicking though a Sunday newspaper.

'At least I can cook,' Susan snorted.

'You can't blame me, Antonia did most of the cooking,' he said. I blinked at the mention of her name. 'And now Bradley does most of it. I don't usually have to cook for myself.'

'Bradley is certainly his mother's son,' Susan said as she pulled a stack of plates from the cupboard.

'That he is,' he replied in a somewhat subdued voice.

'Food,' Remi said as she entered the room.

'Five minutes,' Susan laughed. 'Where's Kyle?'

'He had to go - his mom needs his help picking up some stuff for the decorators tomorrow,' Remi replied.

We spent the rest of the day just hanging out in the garden. We were lucky enough to get two sunny days in a row. Bradley's dad ended up having to leave for some kind of unscheduled meeting and I caught Bradley and Remi sharing a look of distaste as he said his goodbyes.

Unfortunately, the pool filter needed repairing so we were unable to go for a swim. We ended up just hanging out on the decking. I managed to wrangle some embarrassing stories out of Susan about when Remi and Bradley were kids too which I planned on bringing up at school.

Later in the afternoon, Susan finally admitted she had to make a move. She had to get a cab to the airport a couple of hours away and didn't want to hit any traffic. Bradley offered to drive her but she turned him down, saying she'd already paid for it.

'Are you sure you can't hang around for a couple more days?' Remi asked as we walked her into the hallway

'Not possible this time,' she sighed before giving everyone a hug. 'You should all visit next summer,' she added. 'Maybe you can bring the sun over to England with you.'

'We'll try,' Remi laughed.

With a final glimpse at her bright clothes as she climbed into the back of her cab, she was gone. I felt a wave of sadness. Not because I knew her especially well but because I knew there was no chance I'd ever see her again.

* * *
Bradley drove me home not long after. We had a quick dinner, which we didn't let Remi near whilst we were working on it, and it was already close to seven by then.

'So what have you got planned for tomorrow then?' I asked Bradley as I settled in the passenger side of his car. 'Or are you not going to share?'

'Not sharing,' he smiled.

'I hate surprises,' I grumbled.

'I know,' he replied. 'But you'll like it... I think. You're not afraid of heights so it should be okay.'

'Should be?'

'I can't one hundred percent guarantee your safety, you know,' he smirked.

'Stop trying to worry me,' I laughed, slapping his arm.

'Don't abuse me while I'm driving,' he grinned.

'I'll abuse you whenever I want.'

'It doesn't sound too bad when you say it like that,' he pointed out.

'Idiot,' I mumbled.

We reached my apartment a few minutes later and Bradley snatched my bag from the backseat before getting out and leaning against the hood.

'Thanks,' I said as I joined him outside the car. I stretched my hand out for the bag but he didn't move except to eye me up.

'Hmm.'

'What?' I asked.

'I don't want to leave quite yet.'

'Well... come in then,' I shrugged.

I was surprised he didn't just invite himself in, in the first place. It wasn't like he was a stranger here, he could come over whenever he wanted.

'So kind of you to ask,' he grinned with a glint in his eyes. He pushed away from the hood and snatched the keys out of my hand as he brushed past.

'Make yourself at home,' I said sarcastically, trailing up the path after him

'I intend to,' he called back as he disappeared inside.

I snorted as I stomped up the steps and closed the front door behind me. He hadn't turned any lights on and I looked around with a frown, worried he was going to jump out behind the door and scare the shit out of me.

'What're you doing?' I called.

'Come find me,' he laughed evilly from somewhere in the living room.

'In the dark?' I asked with an eyeroll. He didn't reply. 'Fine,' I grumbled, wondering what game he was up to now.

I glanced in the kitchen to make sure he wasn't there and when I didn't find him, I edged into the dark living room. I felt tense as a bow walking across the room. I kept expecting him to jump out at any second. I made my way to the window where a slither of light was shining in from the streetlamp. As I reached my out for the curtain, his hand suddenly caught my wrist and I jumped about the foot in the air, letting out a squeal.

'That's cheating,' Bradley whispered by my ear.

'Fucking hell!' I hissed. 'You scared the life out of me!'

'Anything to get your pulse racing,' he laughed quietly, his fingers brushing over my wrist.

'Never jump out like that again!' I complained.

'I won't make any promises I can't keep,' he replied.

'Neither will I,' I smiled sadly.

'Why do your words always seem to have a deeper meaning?' he murmured after a few seconds of silence. I felt his hand rest on my waist.

'Sometimes they just do,' I said quietly.

'They always do,' he replied.

His hand slid forward and laid flat on my stomach as he pulled me back against his chest.

'Isn't it my turn to hide?' I asked.

'You don't get a turn,' he whispered in my ear.

I resisted the urge to shiver. I'm not sure whether it was a combination of the dark and his whispering or whether it was just his proximity in general but my heart was going just a tad too fast in my chest.

'Not fair.'

'Life isn't.'

'I know,' I murmured.

I brushed my hand over his for a moment before pulling away and putting some space between us. I sat myself on the couch and looked over at him silhouetted against the window.

'Come here.'

He pulled the curtain open slightly more before joining me on the couch. I couldn't help but move closer to him despite my intention being to get away from him. I ended up resting my he's against his shoulder. I couldn't stop myself. He was like a magnet with a constant pull. I could only be still when we were together.

'Thanks for a nice weekend,' I muttered. 'Well, whole week I guess. You know there aren't many people I can stand to be around so you should consider yourself lucky.'

'I do,' he laughed quietly before resting his hand on my thigh. 'I can't stand to be around many others either,' he added.

I yawned.

'I'm going to have to kick you out soon. I want to go for a shower and do some washing before school tomorrow. Unless you want to do it for me?' I asked.

'You think I'd say no to showering with you?' he replied, squeezing my leg.

'Asshole,' I laughed. 'Now I don't feel at all bad about kicking you onto the streets!'

'Your heart is too cold to feel bad,' he laughed, jumping away to dodge my slap. He stretched his arms above his head. 'Get a good night's sleep, okay? I don't want to see a repeat of last night anytime soon.'

'I will,' I promised, hopping to my feet too and following him to the front door.

I fumbled around the wall for the light switch and his hand covered mine for a moment as he stepped closer.

'Got it,' he said, flicking the light on and making me wince.

I blinked up at him with a scowl and he smiled back, eyes sparkling with amusement. Shit. I don't think I'd ever get enough of that look. That smile. Those eyes.

'I saw that picture Remi sent me to get,' I said suddenly. 'Your mom was in it.'

'The wine festival picture?' he asked, smiled fading.

'Yeah,' I nodded. 'Remi looks a lot like her.'

'She does,' he agreed quietly.

'But... I noticed her eyes,' I continued. 'Same as yours.' He didn't reply but I could feel the tension in his body from where his hand was resting over mine. I reached up and cupped the side of his face with my hand. 'I don't think I ever told you how much I like your eyes,' I whispered.

He seemed to be frozen in surprise, which was lucky for me, because I soon came to the realisation that I was about five seconds away from leaning up and kissing him. Four. Three. Two.

I stepped away and removed my hand from his cheek. This seemed to jolt him back to life and he cleared his throat.

'I - thanks,' he said hesitantly. He met my eyes again and smiled once more. 'For the record,' he added, pulling open the door and pausing with his hand on the frame as he stared straight ahead. 'You've got the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.'

I felt my heart clench as I watched him leave.

* * *
I struggled to keep calm the next day when I realised there were only ten days left until the thirtieth arrived. I was starting to wish it was already over whilst simultaneously hoping the day would never come. I hadn't put any thought into figuring out how to tell him. Every time I began to think, I either got distracted or fell into a sad kind of stupor.

It didn't help that I kept seeing Tommy around all day. I was pretty sure it was merely a coincidence but by the third time he passed me in the hallway even he had noticed.

'We have to stop meeting like this,' he'd winked at me.

I replied with absolutely nothing and pretended as if he didn't exist. I hadn't spoken to him since Saturday when he practically tore my head off about matches.

I just want to know how to get rid of the annoying bastard.

'You have to sleep with him,' Remi said by my side. It took me a moment to realise I'd been complaining out loud.

'Excuse me?'

'You wanna lose a high school guy fast? Sleep with him. Most probably won't call ya back,' she winked.

I rolled my eyes at her and caught up to Bradley who I could see leaning against the lockers with someone from his class.

'Hey,' I said, popping out of the crowd and appearing at his side.

'Hey to you too,' he said looking down at me with an instant smile. 'Shouldn't you be on your way to class?' he asked.

'Yeah. Just wanted to see if I could convince you to tell me where we're headed tonight,' I grinned. And I wanted to see his freaking face because I was a total idiot when it came to dealing with him.

'No chance in hell,' he smirked.

'It would give me strength to get through the rest of the day,' I pointed out.

'Outdoors,' he said. 'That's all I'll tell you.'

'I accept that,' I laughed. 'At least it will give me something to think about.'

'I can give you something else to think about,' he teased with a devilish grin.

'I'll report you for sexual harassment if you're not careful,' I said, punching him in the stomach but unable to keep from smiling in amusement.

'Careful, I can easily report you for physically abusing me everyday,' he tutted. 'Now get the hell out of here! You'll end up in detention if you're late anymore!'

'Yes sir!' I said, saluting him and straightening up before heading off to class.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.4K 1K 46
"You're going to keep living, V." Everyone thought Ivy Archer had the perfect life. Because they had no idea what she was hiding: her mums terminal c...
50 6 6
This is about a girl that always spends her summer down in a beach house that her family rents for the summer. One day she meets this boy that change...
1.4K 405 70
Shelly had a somewhat normal life growing up. She had friends, the occasional fake ones, good grades that didn't go lower than a D nor higher than a...
10.9K 458 45
Read Bradley's side of the events from A Month to Live.