Water and Air: A Waterfire Sa...

By LunaStar48

What if Serafina and Desiderio had a younger sister? What if she was a human in her past life who remembered... More

Reborn in the Deep Blue
Plans swimming in Motion
Plans Heading for a Whirlpool
A Current of Destiny
Fighting the Whirlpool's Strength
Threats Riding the Waves
A Riptide of Danger
Tides that Rip Us Apart And Push Us Together

Something More Dangerous than a Hurricane

278 4 3
By LunaStar48

I nearly cursed my idiocy out loud.

What was I thinking? I could have been caught by Orfeo! No doubt he would have heard about something as interesting as this. Not even the Iele learned of his identity until it was far too late.

No one could save me from him. And getting up close and personal to the heir to the British throne would undoubtedly attract people's attention if they ever found out. And Orfeo having power and influence in the human world would undoubtedly hear about it.

At the same time, I was as the goggs say, 'Jumping the gun'. I had no idea if Prince Robert recognised or even remembered me from the encounter we had beforehand. So of course, I felt stupid.

I was even more stupid for developing feelings for a guy I had barely met, a terragogg- a human- and a prince among them who was going to be king someday. But I was even stupider for acting like there was something between us.

I was acting like a moonstruck merl. And I hated myself for it.

It would have been far more practical, far more clever and by far easier to think about marrying Ragnar Kolfinsson. But nooo, I just had to be attracted with guys with legs, don't I? And I don't mean lobster, crayfish or crab legs, unfortunately, I mean human legs.

Well done, Serena. You just won best prize for Stupid Mermaid of the Year. As a matter of fact, if this ever goes public, you would push Ariel from A Little Mermaid off her pedestal and take her crown.

I was an idiot, wasn't I?

And anyway, Robert wasn't the problem here. Orfeo was.  Orfeo had created a monster from the souls of sacrificed innocents and used it to destroy an island civilisation, all the while, planning to use said monster to destroy the Underworld and retrieve the souls of the dead, especially his beloved wife Alma. Orfeo was the one who cheated death when Merrow killed him, possessing several bodies, terrorising innocents above and below during certain periods in time. Orfeo was the guy who got Vallerio, Portia, Traho and all the Death Riders and Lucia to do his dirty work and subdue the underwater realms, creating not just a reign of terror, but a genocide in which people were sent to death camps, tortured and died slowly from starvation, warmth, Depth Sickness and long-term exposure. Even little children had been tortured by that monster Marcus Traho and allowed by Orfeo- though he also did those himself.

Orfeo was the greatest danger of all.

And here I was, prancing and spinning about carelessly on land and underwater. Barely- or not- acting covert at all.

Orfeo was sure to hear about this. I wasn't sure if he could see us from where we were, and I prayed that there weren't any cameras or recording shells and songspells that captured my image or voice. But the crew heard. They would be incarcerated, but if Orfeo ever saw them...

I was screwed. I needed to cast a  Confuto on them but I wasn't sure if Orfeo had invented a spell that could cure goggs from that.

Plus, it would be great if I got Orfeo- or rather Rafe Mfeme into legal trouble, but I knew that would never stop him. His soul could easily choose another host. All he had to do was kill himself, let his soul flow into the black pearl and make sure the pearl ends up in someone's hands.

I couldn't do this. I was endangering myself as well as my own plans to save everyone. But something interrupted my terrified thoughts.

The door opened. In came the Prince of Wales.

Robert stared at the girl. He couldn't help himself. His heart skipped a beat and jolted before pounding madly again.

She was even more beautiful than he remembered. Her massive violet-blue eyes stared back at him, framed by those long, thick, sweeping black lashes, like fans. It had been dark when they last saw each other which could account for why she didn't recognise him, but he saw her before and after they had met on the beach. It was rude, and certainly unprofessional for an officer in the SBS and completely unfitting for an heir to a throne, but he could never help himself.

She was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. Eyes luminous like gems and the finest, most delicate features lush rosebud lips, dainty nose, elegant high cheekbones a long, graceful neck- the closest thing to a swan's neck that he'd seen. He'd seen many gorgeous supermodels, met princesses from all over the world, movie stars who were excited to meet him, but he had never seen someone like her. To be very frank, he was amazed that no modelling agency had snapped her up yet and made billions.

He tried to snap out of it, when he saw her blink and shake her own head discreetly. Oh, so she was affected by him, same as he was.

"My lady," he said courteously. Serena shook her head. "Serena, please. Titles aren't for anything but the most formal occasions."

Robert raised an eyebrow, but couldn't help but be impressed, although his mother would never have approved. But he was sure his father would have liked that about her. In fact, he had a feeling his father was going to adore her.

"In that case," he said slowly, never taking his eyes off her, "I suppose I should inform you that we have contacted your father, and he's sending some people to retrieve you."

A pang of sullen disappointment struck him, and he had to swallow this.

"Thank you, your royal highness-" "Robert." He interrupted. He had to curse himself inwardly for interrupting her like that. She blinked.

"Robert," she repeated slowly. And hearing her name, he felt his heart soar.

Getting dumb and dumber involved was the last thing I had ever wanted. I didn't want to mess up my plans to save everyone, but I also wanted to take this second chance- to live.

My last life had been as unremarkable as could be. Now I was living a dream for girls of all ages, born a princess in a fantastic underwater world, as a mermaid in the wealthiest realm, going from ordinary to being called the most beautiful princess in the mer realms. I had gone from a relatively middle-class background where palaces were something to be passed by in London, but safely secure behind golden gates and gilded walls, and was now living in the Silver Palace. That was built out of coral, quartz and mother-of-pearl. My clothes were stitched in jewels and I often wore jewellery so valuable that they required their own security detail. In my first life, when we went to Selfridges, although we could afford some things, we would never have brought anything unless they were on sale. My life didn't look like it was much. I didn't seem to be going anywhere. Now I walked on land and swam beneath the waves. I had adventure and I had more than I could have ever dreamed.

I was lucky. I was blessed. Sure, that came with a catch, being a princess and all, but here I was. I didn't have half the things I have now in my first life. Now I had that and something more: a second chance. Now I have this chance, I sure as hell won't waste it. And to save the world, I had a head start and I had better get cracking.

Problem was, there were a lot of risks. Namely, me being stupid enough to follow my feelings for this one.

And he didn't even know I was a mermaid.

"So you're safe?" He asked.

I sighed. Lying flat on my back with my tail tucked up, bent and pressed against my form, the bathtub didn't offer much, but a shower wouldn't have been able to do the trick. But my tail was longer than my legs in human form and even this tub was not meant for accommodating people lying flat down (duh).

Worse still I was wearing a bikini. Duca Armando had been gracious enough not to notice.

I couldn't Convoca anyone above the water-level.

I watched as my breath blew tiny bubbles up to the surface.

"Yes, I'm alright. Problem is, the heir to the English throne was among the SBS soldiers who rescued me."

Duca Armando cursed softly.

"And?"

"He's bringing me back with him to London. He's made sure my name and my image won't be in the tabloids-" Duca Armando sighed with relief. "But he's inviting you to come along." I bit my lip. I couldn't very well tell him about the fact that Rafe Mfeme not only knew about the existence of merpeople, but was Orfeo planning to take over the underwater world, unleash a genocide and a monster all in one go, can I?

"To pick me up." I sighed. "You are my father in their eyes, after all."

Duca Armando sighed again. "Very well. I will be in London shortly. You'll come back to Venice via plane the next day- away from the media circus."

"Understood." I nodded. Then I heard a knock. "My lady?" I cursed. Thankfully we were underwater and speaking in Mermish. "I have to go, someone's coming." He nodded and the connection was cut. My head broke through the surface of the water. "Yes?" I called out. "I'll be out momentarily."

"No need to rush, ma'am." The person- a soldier- called out. "We were just seeing if you were alright or needed some assistance."

I damn near sighed with relief. "I'm fine, thank you, sir." I stretched my hand and grabbed a towel. Unlike what goggs believed, mer that could transform needed more than contact with water- most especially if it was in a small amount- to transform into their original form. We could will ourselves to remain in our human forms even when we were wet, and though I learnt how to swim- again- in my human form, I preferred to be with my tail when I did my swimming.

"Very well, ma'am. If you need anything-" I didn't get the next bit.

"Understood. Thank you," I called out politely.

Sighing, I allowed my head to fall back against the tub. I lifted my tail. Long, graceful, feminine and covered in silver scales, bright as the priceless polished silver you see on banquet tables. Or mother-of-pearl. My fins were streaked with pure silver, fine as sea silk, but strong and lithe, cutting through the water as they were meant to, propelling me to speeds which humans can never achieve, even with their own diving fins.

I was a creature from another world.

And I wondered if it was a good idea to wander about both worlds. I really was an idiot, wasn't I? First, I started to miss the human world, even though I was attached to my home beneath the waves in Miromara, and now I had fallen in love- stupidly, deeply, helplessly and hopelessly in love with a terragogg. And a prince to boot.

I pulled myself upright and started to change my tail to legs, patting myself dry.

"Nutcase," I muttered.

I'd better get myself out of this mess.

Okay, Orfeo. Easy. Duca Armando had informed me that the other Wave Warriors had done their jobs. As did the Praedatori and various merpeople. Orfeo's ships were destroyed, sunk and now he was going to be in serious legal trouble.

But then he could work his magic- being the most powerful mage ever- on the legal courts. And get some money- more than necessary- to build up his fleet again and now accelerate his plans. He was no fool. Orfeo knew people were behind this. Merpeople.

I groaned, discarded the towel and went back to the tub, immersing to soothe myself.

I was in deep silt.

Robert closed the door and let out a deep breath.

"You okay?" His friend asked in concern.

Robert looked up, startled by the question. He beamed. "Why shouldn't I be?" He teased. "I'm terrific."

Marcus- his ever-so-professional bodyguard looked sceptical but didn't say anything.

"What did the lady say?"

"Well, she's agreed to come to London." Robert stated. Then he frowned. "I'll just have to... Make her stay worthwhile, don't I?"

"I'd be careful sir," Marcus warned. "You know the world press are always going to be-"

"I know," Robert cut in. "Just... Leave the press to me."

Marcus nodded.

"And what about Their Majesties?" He raised an eyebrow. "What would they say about this... Interesting development?"

"Well... It might be interesting, but my father knows when to take a step back, and my mother does as well," Robert assured him. But Marcus frowned. If he knew Queen Helena- which he did- she wouldn't be like that at all.

"Besides, all I have to do is get her to fall in love with me." He nodded, seriously. "It's harder than it sounds, isn't it?" He asked, wryly.

They both nodded dryly.

"Well, hopefully..." Robert paused. "I might have been wrong, but..." He hesitated.

"I can pray, can't I?"

I was suitably dressed now. Making sure no hair was out of place- and if I could make it stick in place with all the currents underwater, a few wisps of wind doesn't do the slightest damage- out of habit, I made sure that what I was wearing was appropriate, before I made my way out.

Every soldier stopped and turned to ogle at me as I passed by. Some gaped or gawked outright. I honestly didn't care. Unless they sold me to Rafe Mfeme and/or word starts to spread. Last people checked, beautiful girls don't just appear out of nowhere during one of their missions.

Gritting my teeth, I decided I was going to vanish given the earliest opportunity.

Boy, how wrong I was.

"Serena!" My 'brother' called out. "Serena!" Duca Armando, ever-so graciously playing the part of anxious Dad- called. "Thank God you're alright!" He swept me in a firm embrace.

"You are alright?" He asked me in Mermish. I just nodded tightly.

He pulled out so Marco could embrace me. "We handed the evidence in at the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands." He whispered.

I was relieved. But not for long.

Only I knew what Orfeo was capable of.

And only I could stop him. Even if it meant risking my life. I just had to plan it out well.

Which meant I couldn't stop now.

I withdrew from his embrace. "I'm fine, I missed you too, brother." I smirked. And then I turned around when I heard someone coming over. It was Prince Robert. My heart leapt like the ridiculous organ it was.

I bit my lip and tried to turn away. Hopefully I wasn't flushing.

"Your royal highness," Duca Armando greeted.

"Your grace." Robert nodded politely. He gave me a long sideways glance. I felt my heart rate accelerate to such speeds that I never thought possible.

"Thank you, for rescuing and bringing my daughter to safety," Duca Armando stated sincerely. I could see he really meant it.

"It was my pleasure." Robert stated. He gave me another glance. "Although I had a feeling that Lady Serena- given what little time she had for defence- could take care of herself."

"Yes, but..." Armando turned to shake his head at me. "It was reckless and it was dangerous."

"Actually I found it rather brave and admirable," Robert said quietly. His dark blue eyes...

I was on fire from the inside. I didn't know if it was waterfire or airfire, but I didn't care and it burned brighter and hotter than I could have imagined.

"Thank you, but I'm afraid my father was right. It was stupid of me," I stated quietly, looking down. I couldn't meet his eyes. Could I? I glanced up. Again my stupid, idiot heart jolted and my blood felt it was burning. His eyes were the colour of a midsummer sky at midnight.

I cleared my throat and took a step back. I didn't realise we were standing so close together. Was it my imagination but did he look disappointed.

"Rest assured, nothing of the sort will ever happen again." I stated, barely managing to keep my voice from trembling- or at least I thought I did.

Duca Armando's sharp eyes would surely have noticed something.  And so did Marco.

"Well, thank you, your highness." I was quiet. "I truly do owe you my life."

I bit my lip. Uh oh. What did I just say?

"Well in that case, perhaps if your grace would allow, my lady would be able to repay me for saving your life." He said, with a slightly crooked smile. Oh, silt.

"Your highness?" Duca Armando blinked.

He grinned at me, looking as dazzlingly handsome as he should never be.

"There's a ball which I wouldn't normally enjoy overmuch, but it's for charity. It's a masked ball, so thankfully, we won't have to worry about the media." He smirked. "Perhaps your ladyship would care to join me there?"

My breath hitched. What in the world had I done?

What had I gotten myself into?

But Duca Armando knew that there was no way we could refuse the prince's offer. Anymore than I did.

And the bright, handsome smile of the English prince told us just that.

"What was that?" Marco pulled me aside.

"What was what?" I tried playing dumb.

Marco rolled his eyes. "I saw the way he looked at you. And you were looking back the same way! Serena- what were you thinking?!"

"It's not like I had a choice!" I hissed. "I never meant for this to happen! I swear I didn't even know who he was until we met at the beach in Dover." His eyes widened in recognition.

"He was the one asking around about you," he murmured.

"WHAT?!" I was startled. I took a step back. "Marco- what are you saying?"

"The Wave Warriors were rather cryptic," he admitted. "But they warned us that a certain prominent terragogg was asking about you. Trying to find as much information as he could. Normally this wouldn't have been a problem, you do attract a lot of attention. But apparently, this guy seemed rather insistent." He shook his head. "He's infatuated with you," he warned.

"And he's a terragogg."

Oh, Marco. If only you knew. If what happened in the books would happen in this world, then Marco himself would end up falling in love with a mermaid. And not a nymph like me. Becca couldn't turn into a human.

Wait. Becca! Becca,  Astrid, Neela, Ling, Ava! We already knew Neela! If I could get the merls together before the Iele even called...

"Serena." Marco's eyes softened. "I worry about you. You're a princess. You know that you can't get away with seeing him and you certainly won't be able to have a future with him as you're not only a mermaid, but a princess, and he's a prince from a powerful human nation, and their heir. It's not just that your mother wouldn't approve, she would be horrified."

That was true. Mother might have worked and befriended humans like Duca Armando, his children and the Wave Warriors, but her own daughter marrying one- especially during crises like these- or even dating one was out of the question. Not merely were we from too different worlds, I was putting not only myself but everyone in all six realms in danger, as Robert was one of the most famous men in the human world. Constantly scrutinised and watched, Robert Henstridge's private life was not considered private. In my first life, I saw how Kate Middleton put up with being the love interest of Prince William, before becoming his wife. It must have been a freaking nightmare. Suddenly, her sister, brother, father and mother's personal lives were plastered all over the tabloids. Not three full days after the royal wedding, I had seen magazines with front covers of James and Pippa Middleton in their most intimate and embarrassing moments. They were now a target for the press themselves. And with all my secrets, we couldn't afford a leakage. I was meant to be protecting all mer, not endangering them!

"You're right," I said, firmly. "And nothing's going to happen. I can't risk my people- all peoples any more than I can risk you guys. Nothing is going to happen between us, Marco. But I can't decline an invitation from the Prince of Wales. It's just not done, he's placed me in a position where I can't refuse."

Marco cursed softly in Italian. "I know. And that's where you have to be careful. Put him off, Serena. Discourage him from nursing this interest, much less for falling in love with you."

I winced. "I know. And that's exactly what I will do."

Maybe I was being unoriginal. But I was dressed in a water-themed gown.

It was made of sea silk- risky, I know. I should have used normal silk, but I didn't have the time. You see, Wave Warriors and Praedatori get extra funding from working, weaving, spinning and exporting sea silk- called byssus by terragoggs. The gown I wore was a very pale blue on the bodice, becoming gradually darker as it reached the hem. It was form-fitting on the top, but flared out to pool at my feet, billowing and swirling around them as I moved, like water moving gently across a boat's prow. All throughout it was shot through and embroidered with silver threads and a few glittering crystals in waving patterns, that caught the light, making it really look like water sparkling on the most beautiful day.

I was probably going as Neria, I thought. I had a delicate jewellery set of coral and pearl worn for the occasion, borrowed from Elisabetta who was excited- more than she should be. My hair was gently waving, but ending in curling tendrils, one wavy tendril artfully framing my cheek, swept over one shoulder. Seashells, pearl and coral were in my hair, but my jewellery was relatively simple. The effect made me think that Elisabetta's idea was to make me go as Neria- a sea goddess that none of them would have known anyway. Or a Nereid from Greek mythology- which, technically I am.

"This is a bad, bad idea," I mumbled. "Why am I going on with it?"

"Because you haven't got much of a choice?" Elisabetta said cheekily. "Plus, here's your mask." She handed me a half mask studded with pearls. It waved out at the edges, so it made gave it a surreal look. As if the overall effect of the outfit wasn't surreal enough.

"You look breathtaking," Elisabetta winked. I had to laugh at her good cheer. Despite my own idiocy...

I smiled at her. "All thanks to you, mia cara." I winked.

Yup, this was going to be very, very difficult. And I was the Idiot of the Year.

The ball was spectacular. I had to blink. This wasn't Buckingham Palace as I remember it.

"Blenheim Palace," I murmured. I went there on a school trip once, in my first life. This was the setting for many films and TV series, including Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. But this was the only non-royal palace in Britain. It belonged to the Dukes of Marlborough. So why...

I shook my head. Which crazy universe was I living in now? That's right. I hadn't the slightest freaking clue.

I handed my invitation to the page. He gasped and gawked, stuttering and nearly stumbling as he saw me. After directing me to the party, he promptly disappeared. My stomach churned. Yeah, I had a really, really bad feeling about this.

I should have pretended I was sick. But this was a party, what could possibly happen at a party?

Pfft. What a stupid question, Serena. A lot. A lot could happen at a party. And though I wasn't into the show that my first Mum liked, I did get the general idea that this royal family went through a lot of drama and included some crazy characters.

The ballroom was littered with guests. People were toasting each other with champagne flutes, snacking on Canapés and hors d'oeuvres, dressed in immaculate full-length designer gowns or well-cut tuxedos. And they all wore masks. But if someone's idea was to initially make this into a fancy dress masquerade ball mimicking the balls the days of old had seen, they had epically failed. This resembled more of a Vegas attempt, a hook-up where people were bound to get drunk and drinks were spiked with Rohypnol. Where everything would soon turn into a drunken, debaucherous fest and even the DJ is too tired and not sober enough to play.

I sighed. This was the worst idea that I'd ever had.

But it was too late. Everyone stopped and turned to stare as I entered the room. I might as well have been Cinderella, but I wasn't living a dream right now. I was living a nightmare.

There was something between us. And I had to destroy it tonight.

And the question is, could I?

I declined champagne but I did accept a glass of fruit juice- thank the gods! And I hated anything with mayonnaise, it made me sick and nauseous right now.

Now, let's see. Plan one-

Before I could plan anymore, somebody came up to me.

"Good evening, 'luv." A guy in a tux with- wait, was that a bandanna- a bandanna covering the lower half of his face, leaving the upper half bare. He had dark brown eyes and was probably of Indian descent.

"Good evening," I replied coolly. "What's a goddess like you doing here all alone?" He winked. The nerve of that rascal. In Miromara they would have never dared speak to me outright in such a way.

But I wasn't a principessa here. I was merely Lady Serena de Venezia.

"Normally I would be flattered, Mr..." I trailed off. "Ashok," He might have grinned under the bandanna. "But I'm afraid I was given an invitation and told to meet someone here."

"Ashok, what are you doing?" An amused voice sounded. I turned. There was a handsome guy with dirty blond hair wearing a glittering gold mask.

I blinked. Wait, doesn't this guy sound familiar?

Wait- that's because he was! In a world where fiction comes to life, I remembered the actor who played him. William Moseley, same guy as Peter Pevensie in Chronicles of Narnia! I remembered another actor there as well. Elizabeth Hurley, who knew? I didn't watch the Royals enough to know everything about them, but this guy was a prince.

"Your royal highness." I greeted.

This prince grinned brightly. Wait- what was this guy's name again? Lucas- no, Liam. That's it!

Seriously? Maybe it was short for William. Like Prince Harry in my previous world had been officially named Henry, Liam was short for William.

"Liam." he grinned. "And am I that obvious?"

I sighed. "I didn't recognise a prince once because it was dark and we were on the beach. My mum would have killed me if she found out. I'm taking pains not to be killed by my mum."

Liam stared and chuckled. Hearing that, a girl pranced up to us.

She was blonde and no doubt  looked like a supermodel, even though her glittering silver mask hid the upper half of her face. "Liam." She simpered. Ah, so the girl was in love with him. "Ashok. And who's this?" She placed her hand on Liam's shoulder only for him to step forwards. Oohh.

"I'd like to know as well," Liam winked.

I opened my mouth, but just then, someone else came up. "Liam, come on, where's the fun in this crappy- oh, hello." The girl beamed. This one was a brunette with a willowy figure, thin in the extreme, a slim face, dark wavy hair, and mischievous cat-green eyes under her mask. She looked similar to Liz Hurley so I bet this was the princess.

"Your highness."  I smiled. "Oh- hi." She stared at me. Was it Princess Amelia or Princess Eleanor? My first mum only made me watch like one or two episodes with her.

"Hi." She grinned, trying to make me out. I could see her eyes working. I think I was more experienced as a princess as well as well-behaved. If the trailers and the few episodes I had seen had it right, she got into a lot of trouble.

"So... Welcome to the party!" She grinned way too brightly. I simply smiled. "Where are you from, exactly?"

"I suppose you could say I'm Italian, but I'm also Spanish, Greek- Turkish even. Generally around the Mediterranean area," I shrugged. That was true. "I mostly live in Italy, though I travel a lot."

"Oh." She sounded intrigued. "Are you a supermodel?"

"Huh?" I blinked. "Why would you think that?"

"Oh, it's just that most of the guys in this room are eying you up like they'd like to eat you," She shrugged casually. "But even the supermodels my brother's shagged doesn't look like you-" she nudged Liam. "Not half as much. Not even this one." She jerked her head towards the blonde's direction. The exquisite, but sadly not that outstanding girl, flushed a deep crimson. I felt sorry for her, but I didn't show it.

This princess was a rebel, but if I remembered correctly she was one of the good guys and she loved her brother Robert very much.

"Besides, I've been asked to model before, and I refused." I shrugged, pretending what she just said didn't happen. "I don't think the modelling life is for me."

Liam blinked. "Why do you think that?"

"Maybe because interesting and gorgeous as the fashion industry is, there's more to life than designer labels and beauty products." I stated. "Besides, what do you expect me to do: pose and walk up and down on catwalks all the time? I want my life to be more than that."

"Of course," the blonde beamed- a false smile. "After all, someone like you have so far to go."

Wow, in Miromara not even the most covert of courtiers dared to say things like that to me. But then again, she didn't know I was a princess, and clearly she had been insulted by someone she felt she couldn't get back at.

"How very kind of you to say so," I said quietly. "Everyone has far to go, the question is how many of us reach our goals and destinations. Or are going the right way."

She blinked. Liam opened his mouth, staring speculatively at me.

"Are you with anyone tonight?" He blurted. Everyone turned to stare at him. The blonde opened and closed her mouth, flushing a colour that did not suit her complexion.

"I was invited, your highness." I sighed. "I agreed to come, as-"

But someone arrived.

It was Robert. Taller and handsomer than ever, despite being masked like everybody else in the room.

"Your royal highness." I smiled,  unable to help myself.

"My lady," he grinned broadly. "So you did come."

"Well, I do owe you one," I pointed out. "Though I'm not sure how attending a party could repay you in any way."

He grinned. "You being here is more than what I can ever ask for."

I opened my mouth unable to speak, and closed it. How in the world could I possibly tell him...

"Will you dance with me?" He asked all of a sudden.

I was breathless.

"Whoa, Robbie," his sister teased. "You cut to the chase pretty quick."

Robert barely even took his eyes to roll them at her. "Please don't mind my sister. She has quite a mouth and a temperament to boot."

"Hey!"

"My lady Serena," Robert continued, ignoring her. "May I have the honour of this dance?"

I opened my mouth and I realised one thing:

I was really done for.

We danced alright, and before long we retreated to the gardens.

"So..." I trailed off awkwardly. In Miromara, at balls and such I was always watched and closely guarded by members of the Janiçari, and my own ladies or my mother's.

I would have never been allowed to wander off by myself, unless I went to the gardens, but certainly not with a merman.

If only my mother knew.

He smiled slightly but didn't take his eyes off me. I bit my lip.

How could I explain.... What I felt? How I felt? Why was I so drawn to this man?

No, that wasn't the question I needed to ask. Why was I in love with this man?

Without knowing, he instinctively came closer to me. I stared up at him. Sapphire, even violet blue eyes meeting his dark blue ones.

"This..." I breathed. "Why did you ask me?"

"Why did you come?" He countered, his voice a whisper.

I tried to speak. "If someone sees... They might get the wrong idea."

"Who's going to see?" He whispered. "And with all due respect, do you really care?"

Yes, I told myself. But I was finding it very difficult to care.

"We barely know each other," I stuttered. I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts. "I'm sorry but-"

He held up a hand. "I know. But we do?"

"We- what?"

"Get to know each other more," he shrugged. "We can do that, can't we? Would you like that?"

Yes, I would. But that was the last thing I should do.

"Do you want that? I promise no one from the public, even the palace will hear about this." He asked quietly. "Because I want nothing more than to know you better."

I took a deep breath. "I... If I say no, I will be lying." I admitted.

He grinned. "Then just say it," he said trying to entice me. "Just say yes."

I was truly the biggest idiot of the year. Ariel the Little Mermaid had nothing on me.

"Yes." I said slowly.

Boy, I was the biggest idiot in any universe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 160 14
Available at my Ko-fi page only. Soon to be release in google books. Follow ko-fi.com/bellaxtina _______________________________ SYNOPSIS Imagine wa...
335 33 8
Elara Dillan cherished her peaceful days spent working in her Grandfather's local bookstore located on in a popular beachtown: Wave Crest, along the...
90 1 6
A story similar to a classic fairy tale, but with a major twist ... What if the little mermaid were a deep sea merman instead? And what if the human...
26.8K 1.2K 21
โ™ช-๐’ฏ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐’พ๐‘”๐’ฝ๐“‰ ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐“ƒ๐’พ๐‘”๐’ฝ๐“‰, ๐“Œ๐‘’'๐“๐“ ๐’ป๐’พ๐‘”๐’ฝ๐“‰ ๐“‰๐’พ๐“ ๐’พ๐“‰'๐“ˆ ๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐’ฎ๐‘œ ๐“Œ๐‘’ ๐“…๐“Š๐“‰ ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‡ ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น๐“ˆ ๐“Š๐“…, ๐ฟ๐’พ๐“€๐‘’ ๐“‰...