HER HOMETOWN PRINCE

By nerdyflirtykari

Sometimes all you need is a push. She needed to know what made him tick. What made him leave home for four ye... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
Epilogue

5.

6K 202 29
By nerdyflirtykari

Sebastien

Of course, I couldn't answer her. She was too precocious. She got me to let my guard down. How did she do it? That girl was dangerous. I was still seated at the table feeling lonely once more. When she sat beside me something inside me stirred, the companionship and how easy she got me to laugh surprised the hell out of me. Her heady perfume still lingered in the air, it has been a while since I had someone to sit beside and ate dinner.  It was lonely in Prague but I wanted it, I needed it. Currently, I was ninety-five percent done with those two but they still had a hold on me, somewhat. Thank heavens I won't be crossing paths with either of them.

The silence of the suite was deafening and it caused my thoughts to linger on my ex-fiance and best friend. Ex-best friend. Were they now married? Did they call it quits? Why did they do what they did? "Same questions going unanswered," I mumbled to myself going in search of the new music system I asked to be installed. Quickly I found the imported playlist and Panic! at the Disco began to blast through the speakers.

Questions dissolved.

But.

The curiosity of someone came into play.

"How was your first night back?"

"Nothing spectacular happened."

A skeptical hum escaped Annalisa as we both sat at the dining table finalizing the handover documents. The numbers and details were like second nature to me, it was in my blood, running businesses and inventing was passed down to me by my father. That's what my mother always said whenever the two McRoy men gather in the study of their main home in Westchester. A smile made its way to my face just thinking of the two.

"That's number three." my assistant said out loud.

"What is number three?" I asked confused looking over the papers she had in her hand. She rolled her eyes and playfully hid the documents from me. "Number three pertains to how many times you have smiled since you touched American soil," she said with a mischievous smirk. "You have been counting?" I asked, intrigued by her new past-time. 

"Correct. I know the past two have been due to your parents but I'm puzzled by number three. Can it be....?" she mused to herself.

"Again it was of my parents. Particularly my mother. Not of Becca."

"Becca?!"

Shit.

"Miss Callum." I corrected immediately but that didn't stop the sly smile on her face. I knew that smile, she was going into her matchmaking mode. It wouldn't be the first time she will be trying it. Along with my mother, they both think my happiness will return in the form of a new girlfriend. I wasn't giving in. I have the companionship of my feline friends and my work. Even thinking of that prospect of life had me thinking of a future being a cat daddy. Is that even a thing?

"I do not need your so-called help with Miss Callum because there will be no need. I am not interested in her nor any potentials you may have. I do not need a new girlfriend."

"Not a girlfriend. A wife. It has been four years Sebastien, it's ...."

"ENOUGH!!"

I couldn't bear to look at her. I found my breathing to be harsh just by her minor slip into the past.

"I apologize, sir."

 She was back to being my assistant. Why couldn't she stay that way? Not answering I left the room still fuming. The crying meows of Isis and Rhameses caused my steps to falter as they followed me to the installed gym. I needed a distraction. My twenty-second birthday came back into memory, followed by the constant calls and texts from her apologizing and begging forgiveness. My loyal friends at Winthorp stuck by their word to keep it all under wraps, they knew how much I loved Ronnie how devoted I was to her. What hurt, even more, was the silence from my so-called best friend. He never said a word, only that last vacant look in his eyes from the car park. I trusted both of them. Dante the most. We all made plans. He was to be my right-hand man at MacTech while Ronnie and I would have been married and maybe expecting a child as a result of our love. I wanted to question them both as to how long they have been going behind my back but I was too much of a wimp to hear the answer.

I learned to block out that day but I guess I haven't fully gotten over it.

My method of relieving myself of that anger was the punching bag. Someone rubbed against my leg I knew it was Isis. She was the one who always comforted me as Rhameses the proud feline he was, showed me, tough love, by intently staring at me while sharing a few words of his own. "I know. They are all right but... I just can't." I grounded out punching the bag with all my might.

I went at it, probably for hours maybe less because someone's presence was behind me. Slowing down my jabs, then holding the bag I waited for the person to talk. I knew who it was. His presence was dominating along with the scent of his cologne I have known for so many years. "Annalisa called," he said.

"I'm not a child anymore, father." I huffed heatedly going towards the cooler in the corner.

"I know this but I still care for you."

I said nothing, tiredly I went to the benches, allowing him to take off my boxing gloves. "Your mother and I still remembered that day. We weren't prepared to see our only son so broken. A child's heartbreak is something no parent can ever be prepared for. We did our best to be there for you."

"You two did great," I interjected softly. He chuckled leaving a faint smile on his face, it was a rarity to see him like this. All the smiles and laughter were reserved for his family. I was lucky in life to see how much a man can love a woman through him. He taught me how to treat a woman and how to respect her but.... that wasn't enough to keep her. Ronnie still betrayed me.

"I know it hurts, son but you and I both know it's time to move on." he continued.

"Yes, father."

"Your first social event is tonight. Charity Ball."

"What? I thought I had two days grace. The media will be in a frenzy." I began to complain.

 "Your mother and I know this. That's why it will be like a family outing. Two of her paintings are up for auction. All details are left with Annalisa. See you tonight son."

Releasing a defeated sigh I gave him a nod agreeing with him but my mind was on my debut back into society. Questions will be coming my way with fake smiles and shark-like interest. I was once told I was too soft for the society I was born into and tonight I will prove them wrong. No one will get the best of me. Giving my father one last hug I allowed him to leave, settling back into my new home filled with silence.

The traffic was worse than I remembered. I never liked the city but it's where I will be till I'm settled in as chairman. I missed our home in the gated community, big but had a great comfortable homey feeling. I was thinking of my childhood between countries, how much fun I had, it all was doing wonders to calm my state of mind as we crawled towards the venue. "It's too early," I muttered tugging at the most irritable tie around my neck.

"It's for the best," Annalisa answered tapping away on her phone.

"How is this for the best? It's a charity event and those bloodsuckers will only care for a fucking story from me about what happened years ago."

"It will let them see that you are the responsible level-headed bachelor and hometown prince they claim you to be. Just breathe. Your parents are waiting." she answered ignoring my rant. Shaking my head I returned my focus to the street leading up to the museum of art and history. I loved the place and was somewhat at ease knowing I can escape if needed. Up ahead I can see the flashing of cameras trying to capture whoever alighted from their limo. We were two cars behind, in my mind I went over the mantras I created for myself to stay calm. It took ten repetitive mantras for our limo to finally meet the entrance. The family emblem on the limo's flag will be enough to tell everyone who were the occupants. Taking a deep breath I glanced at Annalisa, "Five hours." was all she said before pushing me gently to the door. Placing one foot on the walkway my bodyguards occupied their positions immediately.

"There he is!!"

"The Duke of Montrose. He's here."

"Mr. McRoy. Over here. Over here."

"How does it feel to be back home?"

"Is taking over the family business the only reason you're back stateside?"

"Where have you been Mr. McRoy?"

I didn't answer their flying questions, I was only focused on getting through the night without any probing mics in my face or any false sincerity. The crowded media began to get feistier when I continued to ignore them, their barricades were moving as they edged closer, throwing questions at me.  The team of six bodyguards moved closer to me giving me a hurried push to hurry my steps. Reaching the top a question reached my ear, "Is your engagement still on with Veronica Hurst?" 

"What the fuck is wrong with them?" I cursed aloud as we pushed our way to the lobby. Quickly I looked around for my parents, taking quick note of the curious glances throwing my way. It wasn't long before my parents came rushing down the stairs towards me with concerned looks. Our bodyguards brought us all closer forming a protective circle around us. Mother quickly pulled me into her arms, placing a kiss on my forehead, I naturally towered her but tonight she had help with some heels. "Mother. Father. What is going on?" I asked, "Why did they mention her so soon?"

They both stood silent, their eyes gave away their concern and their fury. Fury for something. Or someone. The last time they were both equally this pissed was due to an unsavory phone call. "Is she here with them?" I asked through clenched teeth. "Not to our knowledge but...." my father started only to be cut off by a sickly sweet voice.

"Sebastien!!! Welcome home sweetheart. Our prince has returned to the land of the living."

We all knew who it was, though we wanted to ignore her the rules of social standing kept us in check. Giving a subtle nod to my guards, they dispersed to inconspicuous locations for the night. "Oh I forgot just how important you all are." she tittered eyeing the guards. I stood before my parents, eyeing the elderly woman in a very bright yellow dress with too much jewelry and makeup for a woman her age. I knew her actual age and so do the circles she frequent in but she was in denial due to the many body enhancing surgeries she had. Giving her a faint smile, I took her hand to cordially bow to her. In return she tittered like a schoolgirl, giving me praises that I did not want to hear at the moment.

 "Oh my. Your parents have truly raised a gentleman. I shouldn't be surprised you were groomed to be a Duke after all." Her focus was on me, ignoring my parents and I knew why.

"Mrs. Hurst. Delightful to see you." I commented.

"Come now, Seb. Enough of the pleasantries. How have you been?"

"Perfectly well, ma'am and yourself? Oh, and it's Sebastien."

She was taken back by my response and my failure to get back into the wind of things. What did she expect? For all to be forgiven and lost?

"Fine. It's good to see you again darling. I've missed you around the house. Can I expect you for a visit?"

"It is grand that you are fairing well. I shall see you inside, I must see the pieces my mother has contributed." She was speechless at my verbal closure of her conversation, dutifully I bowed before her then joined my parents by the staircase.

"The audacity of that woman." my mother grumbled under her breath as my father and I escorted her into the ballroom. "They are all delusional," I commented for only them to hear. The unexpected encounter with Mrs. Victoria Hurst had me uneasy. My anxiety about attending the event was skyrocketing, I stayed close to my parents wanting to avoid any further conversation. No one approached me initially, I saw it in their eyes and actions that they wanted to know the reason for my absence but they didn't dare do so. No one disrespects Donovan McRoy.

Victoria kept her distance but glanced my way multiple times. What was she up to? I knew her kind. Always want what's best for their children no matter the consequences. I knew she will go above and beyond for her only daughter but I won't bite.

"Shall I greet you as Mr. McRoy or Your Grace? How about Sir Sebastien?"

I laughed uncontrollably at the amusing voice behind me, quickly turning to greet my old college friend Marlin Brighton. The now strapping man pulled me into a friendly hug before looking me over. "Home did you well," he said lowly. I nodded giving him the first genuine smile of the evening. He was the only one I stayed in contact with while I was in Prague. We became great friends, he made sure to distract me skillfully whenever I tend to dwell on Ronnie.

"Thanks for everything, my friend," I said sincerely.

"You would have done the same." he returned clapping me on the back. His blue eyes shone with happiness behind his thick-rimmed spectacles as he led me away from the crowd. We talked idly for a few before I brought up the proposal I sent to him three weeks ago. "Have you looked over the contract?" I asked nodding to a fellow guest who was looking our way.

"I did. Also my lawyers. Seb everything you offer for that current position is above any other company's. Are you sure about this?"

"I have thought it over. My father and I had a very good debate on it along with the other head positions in the company. I am sure. You and I have been friends since our first business class at Winthorp. I have seen your potential and know-how goal-oriented you are. We both have brainstormed with ideas we want to see become a reality. You will be perfect for this job."

I heard him sigh then his iconic low laugh whenever he was proven wrong. "Well?" I asked impatiently. Marlin stood before me with a grin on his face, "I accept." was all he said with an outstretched hand. I laughed at his stupidity accepting his hand. "Welcome to MacTech, Mr. CEO," I said.

"Thank you Mr. Chairman" he returned. I didn't feel guilty one bit that I offered him the position I once reserved for Dante. Marlin was one of a kind. That friend who was always there in the background, a silent friendship.

I filled him in on the latest issues at hand over a few drinks and at the same time became at ease with the curious stares. It was short-lived till Marlin swore loudly, handing me his whiskey sour. "The hell man." I retorted avoiding the spill that was about to happen.

"Exactly my way of seeing things. Turn around," he whispered harshly. I hated his tone, it was a warning but I did as he asked.

"Fucking hell." I cursed lowly, taking a hurried gulp of my new drink.

She couldn't hide. I knew that dark hair and waif-like body from a distance. Just like her mother, her blue eyes were predatory as she targeted me from across the room.

"What a homecoming," I muttered to myself leaving the room immediately.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 717 66
Cover done by @russiangem Second place in the Frozen awards! Start: 17 October 2018 End: 1 January 2019 Small Town Tiana Evans moved to the big bad c...
194K 16.3K 32
"spread yourself open so that I can see you IRIS" I don't want to hurt you just go from here; by this he pushed her away from him. As she turn to goi...
169 16 15
๛ A international fairy was having fun in her free garden with her master to keep eyes on and take care until she fall into this trap to sent her far...
2K 102 27
"You need to know that you are beautiful even now, and I don't care what your background is I just care about the moments we had shared together". Sh...