Lesson Learned {Student Teach...

By WhiskeySeattle

My whole life is 'have to.' I have to work full-time to pay the bills and keep food on the table. I have t... More

Cast, Playlist, & Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52

Chapter 39

4.7K 173 44
By WhiskeySeattle

Keira knew of a coffee shop off campus where we could sit and talk about my spontaneous catfight in the courtyard. Actually, we hadn't seen each other or hung out together in weeks and we had tons to catch up on. 

First, we celebrated Keira's big news. She'd slogged through the process of transferring her community college credits to a four-year university, and after months of stress and hard work, she was accepted at the Foster School of Business at UW.

With a thirty percent acceptance rate, her accomplishment was no small feat. Keira beat out hundreds of other applicants all while struggling as a single mom in Auburn. 

Her student counselor also hooked Keira up with a list of academic scholarships that were going to help offset the cost of her education exponentially

Second, I caught Keria up on my mom's progress in rehab as well as the true nature of my relationship with Will. 

She hung on my every word, occasionally interjecting little noises of approval (or disapproval) and hugging me whenever I got misty-eyed over my mom's future or Will's unending kindness. 

It's funny, but up until a little while ago, I wouldn't trust anyone other than Keri with my secrets. 

I was so certain that no one would ever understand the nuances of my overly complicated life that I shut myself off from everyone, but Will understood, and Keira did as well. Everyone in Will's Adult Children of Alcoholics chapter did, too.

 Will's English class had yielded so many unexpected lessons and happy surprises that I wasn't even that upset about Blondie and the Ashleys' harassment anymore (well, much). 

If the deadly drama surrounding my mom's recent overdose had taught me anything, it's that life is too short to dwell on other people's problems. 

We ended our marathon gab-fest with a promise to go vintage shopping in the coming weeks.

Later that afternoon, Keri and I were making Joey some Macaroni and cheese while I caught her up on what happened after my final exam. 

"Wow, so Rory's sidepiece called you a skank?" Keri snorted as she stirred the pot. 

"Ironic, right?" I laughed. "Heather looked pretty surprised to find out that Rory was engaged, though. Poor girl." 

"Don't you dare have sympathy for that biatch!" Keri hissed and stomped her foot. "She could have Googled the shit-bag she was dating and found his engagement photos with Bianca in Seattle Weddings." 

I didn't want to ask how Keri knew how to find Rory's engagement photos online. 

"It's safe to say that Heather has seen those engagement pictures by now," I shrug. "The thing is, I feel bad for Bianca too. I wonder if she knows that her future husband is sleeping with half of Auburn?" 

"Who cares?" Keri tosses her hands up. "She knew Rory was cheating on her in high school and they stayed together." 

"That's true," I bob my head and fetch one of Joey's plates for Keri to serve up his dinner. "I hate that Rory gets away with all this BS. He's probably going to spread more hateful rumors on Christmas Eve so Will's entire family will think I'm a skank, too." 

"Why would Rory tell Will's family anything?" Keri gasped and spun around. 

"Oh, I forgot to mention," I sigh and shut the cupboard to face her. "Rory is Will's cousin, and he's going to be at the wedding on Christmas Eve." 

"Are you freaking kidding me?" Keri threw her headful of fiery tendrils back to moan at the ceiling. "What are the odds?" 

"Whatever the odds," I remarked with a snort. "They're not in my favor." 

"Do you think he'd pull something at the wedding?" Keri breathes. 

"Will says his cousin would have Rory ejected from the ceremony if he did something public," I shake my head. "I'm more concerned that he's going to spread some malicious rumor and poison my relationship with the rest of Will's family before they even meet me." 

"Man," Keri whistled low as she spooned some noodles and cheese into the bowl I was holding. "Karma owes Rory a swift kick in the nards." 

We dissolved into giggles when my cell phone buzzes urgently in my pocket. 

Keri leans over to spot Will's name on my Caller ID and does a squealy happy dance before taking the Macaroni bowl out of my grip.

"Answer your boyfriend!" Keri sings happily on her way out of the kitchen.

With shaking hands, I followed her directions. 

"Hi, Will," I try and keep my tone light. 

How did it go?" Will's inviting baritone fills my ears. 

"I think the final went well," I laughed. "You tell me how I did!" 

"You aced the exam, and my class," he doesn't keep me in suspense. "Congratulations on completing your AA, Moira." 

"Thank you!" I breathe. 

"Can I take you out to celebrate tonight?" Will chuckles. "I know we're going to Tag's show tomorrow, but I'd like time with just my girlfriend, now that I can call you that."

My stomach flip-flops with elated anxiety and my cheeks hurt from the goofy smile splitting my face. 

"That sounds great," I bubble.

"Great, I'll pick you up in about an hour," Will replies. "Are you at home or are you at Keri's house?" 

"Keri's," I answer while trying to muffle my squeal. 

"See you soon, Moira," there's an edge of excitement in Will's response that wakes the butterflies in my stomach. 

We hang up and I immediately fly into the living room to snatch up a couch pillow in order to muffle my face as I bend over and scream. 

When I lift my head, Scott, Joey, and Keri are watching me in stunned wonder. 

"I got some good news," I explained sheepishly while replacing the decorative cushion. 

I backed out of the room slowly and hightailed it upstairs to rifle through my remaining clean clothes for something to wear. 

With all the grace of a flailing Muppet, I stab my legs through a pair of jeans and hoist my cutest sweater over my head. 

Then, I scramble into the bathroom to wash my face and wrestle with my snarl of hair. 

"What's going on?"

I scream and wipe a streak of dark black into my temple as I spin around to face Keri in the bathroom door. 

"Oh," Keri winces. "That's a good look for you." 

"Crap!" I groan and go searching through the vanity drawers for something to wipe off my mistake.  "Can you help? I have a date with Will in about an hour." 

"Where is he taking you?" Keri cries as she switches into high gear. 

"I don't know," I shrug lamely. "He just said he wanted to take me out to celebrate the completion of my AA."

"Aw!" Keri hums happily while helping to remove my warpaint. "That's so romantic! Please tell me you're not wearing Granny panties to go on your first date with Fitzwilliam." 

"Stop it!" I scolded her. "He's not going to see my underwear tonight." 

"Why are you so sure?" Keri wags her brows playfully. "You should wear one of the new bra and panty sets that you got at the mall!"

I gulp and struggle for an excuse. Our shopping trip had yielded some super-duper sexy lingerie that looked way too complicated (and honestly, uncomfortable) for a first date. 

Then again, our combustible chemistry was undeniable. Even with all of our erroneous rules in place, we couldn't keep our hands off each other. It was only a matter of time before we wound up ripping each other's clothes off, really. 

The doorbell gonging through the house froze us mid-panty-debate. 

"He's here!" Keri squealed and hugged me. 

A/N ~ Muppet Moira:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

776K 19.2K 61
He looked so innocent reading his book, almost peaceful. I stopped in the frame, admiring his face. His brows were pulled together in a concentrated...
89.4K 4.6K 44
π™π™€π˜Όπ˜Ύπ™ƒπ™€π™ 𝙭 π™Žπ™π™π˜Ώπ™€π™‰π™ π™π™Šπ™ˆπ˜Όπ™‰π˜Ύπ™€ I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...
2.7K 244 45
Senior year = Drama Amelia, a mysterious high school girl with no time for boys, fun and parties had the spark stripped from her ever since her fathe...
1.4K 102 4
"Lost Friends To Lovers" Dad told me real love happens once and when it does, never hide your feelings. Too bad, he told me late. I held them and los...