The Honeymooners

By HTEllis

HIGHEST RANK #59 IN CHICKLIT. Ambrosia Sánchez's honeymoon should be spent laying on the silky sands of Barb... More

COMING SOON!🌈⭐️
One. Cake pops and trampolines
Two. Tents and fake superheoroes
Three. Cameras and rubber boats
Four. Bistro's and catwalk's
Five. Hikes and chubby cheeks
Seven. Apologies and croissants
Eight. 80's and Versace
Nine. Twerking and tears
Ten. Face masks and hotels
Eleven. Leeds and late night calls
Twelve. Aftermath and tracksuits
Thirteen. Star jumps and cookie dough
Fourteen. Crazy hair and Daisy chains
Fifteen. Pillow talk and Migraines
Sixteen. Heartbreak and bear traps
Seventeen. Hospitals and Big surprises
Eighteen. Sickness and QVC
Nineteen. Cruise ships and Pompeii
Twenty. Disney and Silver Foxes
Twenty-One. Baby bumps and Old flames
Twenty-two. Enzo and Goodbyes
Twenty-three. Scans and Gabriel
Twenty-four. IKEA and French kisses
Twenty-five. Brownie crumbs and Skype calls
Twenty-six. Big shirts and therapy
Twenty-seven. Easter eggs and sneak peeks.
Twenty-eight. TGI Fridays and bed springs
Twenty-nine. Awkward conversations and antenatal
Thirty. Green smoothies and surprises
Thirty-one. Money boxes and newspaper articles
Chapter Thirty-two. Labour pains and Isabella
Epilogue. Happy ever afters

Six. Cocktails and exes

4.8K 267 68
By HTEllis

I hang my head out of the car window like a dog on a Sunday morning drive, feeling like I might throw up at any moment. I'm hungover and by that I mean: I'M HUNGOVER! Enzo decided it would be a fabulous idea to spend our last night in Robyn Hoods Bay taking part in a pub crawl, and I now understand the term, having had to crawl back to the B&B after our last drink.

"Keep sipping on your strawberry water," Enzo says kindly, not feeling a hundred percent himself.

"No," I cry out. "No more strawberry ever. Those daiquiri's almost killed me off."

"It's the waitress, she kept making you them," he laughs, and I want to slap his mouth shut.

Does he not understand the word headache and the discomfort it entails?

I search for some chewing gum in my bag and want to cry when I see it's strawberry bubblegum flavour. "It's because she fancied you."

Enzo grunts. "Of course she did."

"Oh, sir, you must come to our cider weekend next month. It seems like you know your alcohol and you will just love it," I reply, mimicking the young waitresses voice from last night.

Enzo only shakes his head.

I rub my stomach and pull out a long breath. "I think my drink was spiked."

"Your drink was not spiked. You just don't know your limits," he says, turning slowly around the bend for my benefit.

"I do too," I sound like a child and don't care.

There has been many a time over these past three years that Enzo has had to save me from a girls night because I peeked too early and got bladdered on pre-drinks. I swear half the time I was the only one drinking as my girlfriends paced themselves.

I won't let Enzo think he is right, of course.

"You should try to eat at least half of the hash brown and sausage muffin. It might brighten you up a bit."

Even the thought of food touching my lips sent me into a gagging fit.

"I'll pass. You eat it," I reply, resting the back of my head on the car window.

Enzo reaches over the gear stick to find the paper bag in the footwell which contains the food. "Please eat a little for me?"

I smell the egg and want to heave. "No. No. No. No!"

"You wanted a McDonald's. We could have had Costa if I knew you'd refuse to eat the food," he shakes his head.

I close my eyes at the feel of the fresh air and the scent of pollen wafting over my face. It's somewhat relaxing. "Leave me alone."

The car goes quiet and then the next thing I'm aware of is waking up to the sound of Enzo's mother's voice. I peel open my eyes and see Janet tugging on Enzo's wool jumper outside the car window. I still feel like death warmed up and know it won't get any better when we step inside his parent's house. Janet likes to feed the ten thousand. There will be food already on the table, no doubt.

"Sleeping beauty has awoken," Enzo says, opening the car door.

I simply stare at him with death-eyes.

Janet steps forward and peers into the car. "I hear you're feeling a tad delicate this morning?"

I try my hardest to seem like a functioning human being. "I'm feeling brighter than I did first thing. How are you Jan?"

"Good," she leans in and places several kisses on my cheeks. "I like to see you've come barefaced and ready for the mud?"

I spent an hour on my makeup today. I think she very nearly severed my ego in half.

"Yes, ready to roll," I give her a thumbs-up, feeling like a big fat liar.

I hate the country.

Janet helps me out of the car and holds my arm as we head into the house, leaving Enzo to sort the luggage. "I've booked us both into a flower arranging class for tomorrow afternoon."

Oh, joy!

"I've always wanted to learn how to make bouquets." I hope she believed that, because, I blooming didn't.

"You'll love it." Janet takes me through to the lounge where the big leather sofa calls out to my dreams. I need sleep. "I can't wait to introduce you to all of my friends there."

"Me neither," I reply, meaning it this time.

Janet lets me lay down and then she fluffs the pillow and covers me in a thin blanket. "I'm always talking about you. It'll be nice to put a face to the name."

My chest goes all warm and fuzzy. "You talk about me?"

Janet tucks in the edges just like my father did when I was younger and scared of monsters. "All the time. We are so proud to have you as a daughter-in-law, even if it has taken our boy this long to find you."

I laugh. "You sound bitter about it?"

Janet busies herself with tidying the magazines on the coffee table, something else on her mind. "Well, you know all about Violet Bloom and how she broke his heart in two. But, that's ancient history now."

I feel my stomach swirl with something nasty and know it has nothing to do with my heavy night. Violet Bloom is always going to be the thorn in my side when it comes to Enzo. Even if he swears all feelings for her were child's play compared to what we share.

"I don't like to think of her," I reply, closing my eyes.

"Of course not," she says, hesitates and then takes a long breath. "I must say that Violet runs the class we are going to tomorrow. It won't be a problem though as we'll just ignore her."

Because, life is always that easy, right?

"Maybe, we shouldn't tell Enzo about her being there?" I reply, not liking this one bit.

"Oh, I've already told him. It will be okay, love," she turns back to smile at me.

"And, he's fine with it?"

Janet nods her head up and down. "Oh, yes, totally fine. In fact, he wants to come with us. Shall I show you the first draft to my new story?"

I nod my head, and she gets up to leave the room while I dread every second until tomorrow.

...

My makeup and outfit are on point today. I decided to make more of an effort seeing as though I would be meeting Enzo's ex Fiancée. My hands are shaking when I see my husband bring her into his arms and then I want to ugly cry at the sound of their laughter. Keep your cool, Ambrosia. You are the one he married. And, if he had the choice, he would have married Violet too.

I try to look busy by watching the woman in the corner cutting down the roses. I wince when I see she isn't wearing any gloves, knowing how sharp the thorns can be when you catch your skin on them. It's fitting considering the situation.

"Am, over here, sweetheart," Enzo's voice makes me jump, and I turn to see Violet staring at me.

I gulp at her inquisitive eyes. "Coming."

Enzo reaches his hand out to me, and I let him pull me into his chest, getting a better view of Violet and how beautiful she is with her big shining eyes, poreless skin and ebony hair that glistens in the light when she moves to the side. I remember Enzo telling me that she moved from the Philippines with her parents when she was a small girl, as her father had family over here and wanted to get back into the farming community.

"I'd like for you to meet my better half, Ambrosia," he says, kissing the top of my head.

Violet watches me with curiosity, and I do her the same. "Ambrosia like the custard?"

Enzo chuckles. "Yeah, this is Violet, Am."

Like I haven't heard the Ambrosia custard reference before and not found it funny. I'm not a family's favourite pudding. I am a person. Thanks, Enzo.

"I'm aware," I reply, wanting to leave.

Janet takes hold of my hand and walks me over to the long wood table. She whispers, "Ignore her. We'll get a good seat before the others get here."

I glance behind my shoulder to see Enzo engrossed in conversation with Violet and want to be near him, needing to know what they are talking about. Are they talking about old times? How much they've missed each other?

Janet shows me the different designs on the pieces of paper laid out on the table, but my gaze is fixed on my husband and his incredibly beautiful ex. "Which do you think you'll do, love?"

I look down and point towards the heart shaped wreath. "I think this could look good with white and soft pink roses."

"Oh, yes, perfect to celebrate your honeymoon," Janet says, sounding giddy.

Enzo appears at the front of the wood table and kneels down, so we are eye to eye. My weakness. "Violet is letting her friend take the class while we go for a drink to catch-up. Is that okay with you?"

Hell to the no! "Enzo, what do you mean a catch-up?"

Enzo taps his fingers against the wood bench. "It's been a while since we've seen one another. It's a chat."

I don't feel comfortable you hanging around the woman who broke your heart. I lower my head. "Okay."

Enzo leans in to kiss the side of my head. "I'll be back before the class ends."

I nod.

"Bye, mum. Look after my girl," he says, leaving with Violet out of the door.

Janet wraps her arm around my shoulders and rests her head on mine. "I like hanging out with you, love."

I smile. "Me too."

"Come on let's collect our flowers before the good ones go," Janet says, standing up from her seat.

An hour later all the flower ladies are telling me how lovely my wreath is and if I'm a secret florist. I say I'm not and they all giggle. Janet makes me stand between her friends with my masterpiece in my hands for a photo shoot.

"You are a star, Ambrosia," Janet beams, and I suddenly go shy.

"I'm not," I laugh to which she nods her head up and down.

"I couldn't make a wreath that well!"

"Me neither," Sandra says from behind me.

"Nor me," Pat chimes in.

I hold the heart out in front of me and admire how well I've done considering it's my first time making one. "It's quite easy once you know how to do it."

"Love, we've been coming here for weeks and could never make an arrangement as clever as yours," Janet says, and I notice people are beginning to leave.

Still no sign of Enzo.

"I am quite proud of myself. I can't wait for Enzo to see it," I reply, collecting my purse and phone, automatically reaching to press the home button to see if I have any new messages.

A picture of Enzo and I on holiday in Rome flashes back at me, and I feel all special and nostalgic. It was our first holiday together, which also turned into the first time we ever ahem...had sex. All in all, it was a fabulous time that holds memories I will keep with me forever.

Janet puts her flower stems in a water bottle and then shoves on her rain coat. It's a cute candy striped one from Joules that I bought for her a couple of Christmases ago. Apparently, she never takes the thing off which makes me extremely happy. "We'll put your wreath up on the door for the whole village to see."

I smile.

"Are you coming next week, Ambrosia?" Ivy, the teacher, asks when Janet, I and her friends go to leave.

"Oh, I'm not too sure. I'm actually on my honeymoon, so my husband is in charge of where we are next," I reply.

Janet puts her hand on my shoulder. "Book us all in just in case."

I glance up at her face and see the smudging of hope in her eyes. Enzo said it meant the world to his parents for us to share our honeymoon with them and for the first time, I'm understanding why. They love their son as much as I do, and in loving him; they love me too.

"Yes, put my name down," I reply, glancing out of the window to see if Enzo is here yet.

No such luck.

"Right, we'll see you all next week," Ivy says, waving gently in our direction.

I wave. "See you."

When we get outside, I follow Janet to her car knowing Enzo is not going to make it here. And, then I realise it's the only time he's ever broken a promise.

...

Hello my lovelies!

It's almost the weekend! 🎉

I hope you enjoyed this chapter?

Lots of love,

Holly ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.8K 1.4K 26
❝ I am your queen and you are my king. This marriage is our kingdom and I will not allow another take my crown. Do you understand me, dear husband?❞ ...
366K 19.1K 81
#65 in onesidedd - 9/9/2018 #637 in chicklit - 30/5/2018 #595 in chicklit - 4/6/2018 #24 in onesidedlove - 17/6/2018 #448 in chicklit - 17/6/2018 ...
267K 16.3K 26
~~ Book 3 of The Marrying You Series. This can be read as a stand alone but I recommened you read the other two books too. ~~ Vanessa Brady is thirty...
176K 9K 48
Highest Rank: #53 in ChickLit Sequel to 'You, And Only You' (Can be read alone, but I strongly advise reading the first one.) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...