Chasing Neverland: A Retellin...

By Monrosey

*This story is an unedited first draft. Fifteen-year-old Wendy Darling is trying hard to stay positive. But w... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chasing Neverland Prologue

121K 1.2K 336
By Monrosey

This is an older work, and unedited. *WARNING: If you're reading Chasing Neverland on teenfic.net or anywhere other than Wattpad, then the website you are on has stolen this manuscript from me and you are likely at risk of a malware attack. PLEASE REPORT! If you wish to read my story in its original, safe form, please go to Wattpad where you can find it (along with millions of others) for FREE.*

This story was my very first attempt at creative writing and since it's been written I believe I have grown as a writer. Sometime in the future, Chasing Neverland will be undergoing a rewrite. I'll remove the chapters one by one in order to revise them, so in case they disappear that is what's going on. Thank you for understanding!

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
D.S. Jamison © Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved.

____________________

Prologue

George opened his eyes in a blur. Who had been speaking to him? He knew he'd heard someone talking, but where had they gone? He rubbed his eyes, trying to see past the sudden glow that surrounded him. The rays pricked warmly against his skin, a welcome change after the icy winter.

"George, over here!" the voice called again. Its musical quality rang out with authority.

Slowly, a figure took shape in front of him. It was a boy with flowing blonde, not much older than himself. The sun dancing in the background cloaked him in light. George took a step closer to get a better look.

The stranger greeted him with the most magnificent smile George had seen in all his fourteen years. It was a spellbinding moment. The kind of moment that clings to the layers of your memory, refusing to let go.

"Who are you?" George asked in a small voice.

"My name's Pete." He gave George a crooked grin, his emerald eyes shining with unspoken adventure. "Do you like to play games? Betcha can't catch me!"

Before George could answer, Pete took off running, the sound of his laughter making it impossible not to follow. What was it about this stranger that felt so compelling? It was unlike him to take off without his mother's permission, but he just couldn't stop himself!

"George," Pete called again happily. "This way!"

Unbridled excitement surged through his veins. George pushed himself to run faster ... faster ... until finally he caught up with his new friend. Together, the boys raced over hills and pastures blanketed in snow, hopping over drifts and laughing the kind of carefree laughter only children knew. George had enjoyed these fields many times before, but for some reason they seemed different today, almost magical, as if he were seeing them for the first time.

Finally, Pete began to slow. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like to fly?" he questioned pensively, not even winded after their spontaneous sprint.

Trying to catch his own breath, George thought back to a dream he'd once had where he had been flying.

In his dream he started to run, and the faster he ran the higher his feet lifted from the ground. It was the most extraordinary feeling! He remembered flying high above the rooftops and over the trees. He'd never felt so free!

"Have you ever wished you could fly, George?" Pete asked again, interrupting his memory. "Like a bird, flying high in the sky?"

A mischievous twinkle gleamed in his eyes drawing George closer, like a moth to a flame. "Yes, I have," he admitted, suddenly feeling shy.

"Do you trust me?" Pete asked, the sparkle growing bigger.

George nodded cautiously. "I do." And oddly enough, he did.

Without warning, Pete grabbed George's hand and before he could protest George noticed his feet lifting from the ground.

"Let's go!" Pete laughed. *"Let's jump on the wind's back!"

George looked around in surprise. What was happening? Were they actually flying? He took in the sights, and the first thing he noticed were the tops of naked branches swaying in the breeze. Were there really this many trees where he lived? There were hundreds, thousands even!

George observed the snow-covered rooftops and the chimneys pushing out big, fluffy clouds of smoke. He could even make out Mr. Cooper's pond. Oh, the many wonderful memories he'd had on that pond! George couldn't believe the breathtaking scenery around him; he had never known anything like it before. His dream of flying had been nowhere near as vivid, no where near as ... real. The colors, the smells, the early March air rushing past him as they sailed through the sky, tickling his cheeks. He felt so alive!

Glancing at Pete, George noticed his eyes were closed and a serene smile played upon his lips, as though he didn't have a care in the world. He couldn't turn away. Who was this magical boy and where did he come from?

Slowly, Pete opened his eyes and their gazes locked.

Filled with courage, maybe because he was flying higher than any tree he had ever climbed, George asked, "Pete, where did you come from?"

Surely no place on earth. People can't fly ... and yet, here they were! And George was most certainly human; he had a whole nights worth of homework in his book-bag to prove it!

Pete's face erupted into the widest grin. "I'm from The Neverlands. The most beautiful and exciting place in all of the world!"

"The Neverlands ..." George repeated. He'd never heard of such a place. They must not have studied that area yet in Geography class yet. "Can everyone fly in the Neverlands?"

The blond boy chuckled. "If they have a little faith and trust, plus a whole lot of happy thoughts, they can do whatever they like!"

"What's it like in The Neverlands?" George asked, unable to contain his curiosity. He felt slightly embarrassed; he was not used to being so nosy! Were all people this mystical in The Neverlands, or was this just another dream?

That's it, George decided. This has to be a dream! People can't fly — at least, not when they're conscious. George blinked his eyes rapidly, willing himself to wake up. He turned back toward Pete, fully expecting him to be gone. But the boy was still there holding onto his hand, the blue sky soaring behind him.

*"The Neverlands are found in the minds of children," Pete answered. "It's always more or less an island, but everyone's island is different, and yet very much the same. It's like no place you've ever seen or imagined before!" A ping of laughter surrounded him. "Would you like me to show you? There's so much to do there, and all the time in the world to do it!"

But why should I go? George debated to himself. This was a lot to take in. One minute he was safely on the ground, walking across Mr. Cooper's pond on his way home from school, and the next minute he's flying like a bird in the sky.

"Why shouldn't you go?" Pete dared, reading his mind. "If you're having fun with me now, think of all the fun I can show you there! I can introduce you to the most unbelievable people and places. And the best part is, we don't have to grow old in The Neverlands. We can be young and free forever!"

Now, George had always been a cautious child. Not really the adventurous type. He had a small group of like-minded friends he enjoyed spending time with, and he took his studies very seriously. It wasn't like him to go flying around town with strangers!

But he wasn't perfect, either. He was, after all, a fourteen-year-old boy. And fourteen-year-old boys liked to have fun ... even the shy and cautious ones. And they didn't always listen to their parents like they should. Why, George's mom was constantly warning him about the fragile ice on Mr. Cooper's pond. But after a good freeze, George couldn't stop himself from exploring a bit! However, skating around on the forbidden, frozen water and taking off to some fairy-tale place with a boy he didn't even know were two different things!

George sucked in a breath. "No thank you, Pete." He shook his head. "I'd better get back home now. My mom will never believe what I've been up to! I'm not so sure I believe it myself."

Pete smiled warmly and nodded his head. He didn't look at all surprised by George's answer.

Before George knew it, they were surrounded once again by familiar trees, and then slowly Mr. Cooper's pond came into view. As much as he'd enjoyed his unexpected adventure, it felt good to have his feet back on solid ground!

George looked around and noticed that everything looked exactly the same as when they'd left. The sun hung high in the sky, as though no time had passed. But how was that possible? Surely they'd been gone for hours! It made no sense.

"Pete ..." George whispered, looking toward his new friend. But Pete was already gone.

____________________

I hope you enjoyed reading the prologue of Chasing Neverland! Please consider supporting it by voting/commenting. If you like FREE STUFF, please sign up for my email list. The clickable link is on my profile page or you can find it on my website at DarlyJamison.com.

This was my very first attempt at creative writing. I wrote it for younger adults, so subject matter, while serious at times, has been kept on the lighter side. My hope to rewrite this story one day because I feel I have grown as a writer.

Thank you so much for choosing to read Chasing Neverland!

*J.M. Barrie quote from original Peter Pan.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 292 26
Brand new college girl, who is a beautiful, smart ,computer nerd, catches the eye of the most popular guy on campus. He falls for her but she is resi...
186K 4.9K 18
Juggling school, studying and being a spy was something that Patricia had to do on a daily basis. That definitely doesn't make her your ordinary teen...
9K 264 21
𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐘 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 is the daughter of John Winchester, half-sister of Sam and Dean Winchester. Her mother remains unknown, mainly beca...
5.4K 183 19
School Bus Graveyard Tyler Hernandez x reader Being forced to join a random group of kids for school project you now have to find your way out of a...