Misconceptions ✔

By geethu_sweetie28

Highest ranking: #4 in Indian; #7 in General Fiction; #7 in politics. •2nd place category winner of The Stell... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1:First Encounter
Chapter 2: Clash of the Titans
Chapter 3: Vile plan and major decisions
Chapter 4: Vows of forever(?)
Chapter 5: Truth and collaboration
Chapter 6: Naughty guy and arrogant girl
Chapter 7: First day of marriage
Chapter 8: Chief Minister. Arjun Mehra
Chapter 9: (Un)Known feelings
Chapter 10: Jealous Arjun
Chapter 11: Realisations
Chapter 12: Dinner to muse on
Chapter 13: What in the Sam Hill?
Chapter 14: A Dream?
Chapter 15: Surprise gift opening
Chapter 16: A dream that has come true
Chapter 18: Mrs. Radhika Arjun
Chapter 19: A glimpse of the past
Chapter 20: Work is God
Chapter 21: A step towards Tweety
Chapter 22: A danger
Tagged (Not an update)
Chapter 23: Fear
Chapter 24: The Punishment
Chapter 25: The Past.
Chapter 26: The confessions.
Chapter 27: The Seduction
Chapter 28: The Reconciliations
Chapter 29: The Old Skeletons {with flesh}
Chapter 30: Behind the masks.
Chapter 31: The Disclosure.
Chapter 32: The Aftermath
Chapter 33: The Villain
Chapter 34: The Blast
Epilogue

Chapter 17: The Devil

7.1K 346 361
By geethu_sweetie28

Salaam everyone... How are you all??? Here is the next chapter...

Happy Reading...

~~~~~

Pure love and suspicion cannot dwell together: at the door where the latter enters, the former makes its exit.

-Alexander Dumas.

~~~~~

The next day dawn came earlier than she anticipated. Radhika has grown to like the weight of her husband on her and his hand snaking around her waist as if he is protecting her from unknown demons. The only truth he did not know is she is actually haunted by the demons-- demons of her past to be accurate. How can she sleep a wink with all those things that are playing in her mind!! The slight stirring of her husband beside her brought her back from the reverie. She should stop this, stop being lost in her thoughts or else one day Arjun will definitely doubt her. Will he? She doesn't think so, but there is always a random doubt nagging at the back of her mind saying that Arjun will not believe her truly. She should come clean after what has happened. She should not let herself fall weak when she should be the strongest. That's the only force that should be driving her forward to achieve whatever she has come to this town for.

Both Arjun and Radhika were ready in no time for their work, given the amount of work they have to do and the accuracy they require at their workplaces. Who would have thought such a pair of lazy idiots can be ready for their work in such a short time!! Guess, Mr. Bill Gates was right about his statement of giving work to lazy fellows to finish it off quickly.

Pawan came home handful with good breakfast and in addition to that his brightest smile ever. They were seated on the dining table and Pawan noticed a peculiar silence between Arjun and Radhika. Normally they both are street dogs fighting for a piece of meat. What happened today that they both are as silent as a sea!! He has to find that out or else he cannot sleep or eat today at that. When he was about to ask what is the matter, he saw a mark on Arjun's lips. From the distance, it looked like someone has bitten him. But who has that dare to bite the lip of his friend, huh?

'Arjun! What happened to your lip?' asked Pawan and didn't get to see the reaction of Radhika when she straightened in her chair because he was watching Arjun.

After a moment of considering answering the question or not, Arjun finally said...

'Ah! An insect bit me.' Said Arjun analyzing his lower lip by dragging it to the front holding it between his forefinger and thumb.

Radhika took a sigh of relief and breathed normally when she heard those words from Arjun. But wait! Did he call her an insect? Not happening, it is absolutely not happening. And she will not tolerate her husband calling her an insect. She is not an insect. If he called her insect, she is better off a bee rather than any insect so that she can buzz constantly in his ears. And so, without giving a further thought, she blurted out "I am not an insect" and clapped her mouth shut with both her hands realizing her mistake. Mr. Spoon will not leave this so easily.

Arjun had that smug smile on his face stating he won by getting a response from her because she was awfully silent this morning when he tried to talk something to her. And now he did what he does best. Incite her anger and bring her to the edge of breaking someone's head. She so mightily tried not to wipe off that smile from his face with her hands. That proved to be hardest not to touch him when only hours ago she touched him as his wife. That brought a beautiful blush to her face and she had to look away from Arjun who is watching her with an intensity to make her go screaming in another direction. She kicked his leg under the table and the oaf he is was still smiling at their antics. She should drown in a spoonful of water.

'Ah! That explains the intensity of the cut on your lip, Arjun.' Said Pawan after recovering from the shock he got from Radhika's words.

Alright, this is going out of her hand. She should not let Mr. Spoon win this or her husband at that. They want to tease her; fine, she will show them her magic of teasing too.

'If you are unable to digest a simple gesture of a kiss between husband and wife, you better get a wife for yourself, Mr. Spoon.' Sniggered Radhika.

There, she said it. Both the fools are looking at her as if she said she is going to drop bombs on both of them. Now, who won the game? Of course and without any doubt, she did. She should savour this win with something sweet. So she made her way to the kitchen to serve herself a spoonful of sugar to celebrate her victory leaving behind two gaping fools. Sweet heaven.

After dropping Radhika to her office, Arjun made his way straight to a place in his private car. He knows driving in private car with no one else with him except his thoughts can be dangerous. But he had to do this for his wife. He should formulate a plan for making the people who insulted his wife bow their heads in front of him. That cannot be done by him alone. He has nil knowledge when it comes to the procedures in India. He has to take the help of Pawan, which is obvious, and he also should get help from Vikas and Hitesh. Vikas, because he is the media tycoon and Hitesh cannot be left behind else he will eat them all alive. First, he has to bring down the reputation of the media house and he knew what to do exactly for that. He made his way to his office to put his plan into action. After reaching his office, he published an article on his personal blog explaining how he was disappointed by the people who insult others using the internet and how they should be given a good answer. He didn't once mention about Radhika or the media house. We have a saying "Samajdar ko ek ishaara hi kaafi hai {Hint is more than enough for brilliants}" and if the people are wise enough to guess what this video could be related to, it is fine, or else he will take everyone as fools and seek solace by making himself comfortable with the thought that he is in this politician's position for nothing.

The article became a hit in few hours time from the time it was published. Arjun breathed a sigh of relief when he got to see the comments supporting him. Many understood the reason behind this and publicly insulted the media house. It is not what Arjun expected actually. He didn't want anybody to publicly insult someone even it is for him. He thought that is another type of foolishness and reprimanded people who did that not to do as such again. By the end of the day, the media house's reputation is in tatters. Many people demanded a public apology from the media house. That was a case of defamation. Even though the media has the right to write anything related to the country making sure the people are getting genuine information, they cannot insult someone directly or indirectly. So, a public apology is needed. Arjun thought if the media house did that, he would accept the apology and leave the matter.

After reading the article, Radhika understood the reason behind it too. She kept her mouth shut because she knew the ethics involved in the media have been degraded. And so she left the matter in the capable hands of her husband, she knew her husband will not do anything illegal. She was so sure of that and she didn't get to see the feral rage on her husband's face when he read that article. She was content in that thought.

But wait, ladies and gentleman, if you thought Arjun is going to give only this small punishment for the people who have insulted his wife then you are highly mistaken. Here comes the "Devil" Arjun Mehra who can do anything to keep his loved ones safe.

After the loss of reputation "News phataphat (NP)" media house had tried to sell its shares. The media house is already on the verge of ruination because of the foolish reporters and their unnecessary scoops of news. And the recent article made such a high impact on the people that their sales have fallen to a low of 75% in just two days. There is nothing the owner can do at this point except selling the shares of the company. So he tried to sell the shares, and his bad luck is always haunting him, no one, absolutely no one is ready to buy the shares because of the reputation. They have to own 51% shares to run the company on their terms and the investors all are of low budget ones and they cannot afford to buy the shares where the owner is showing his greed again by placing high rates on shares. There was only one who can afford that and by negotiating the terms and the prices of the shares, he bought the whole company. The media house is officially his now. NP's owner was so happy with this deal. One of the conditions the new owner placed while buying the company is to keep the employees intact. He didn't want the employees to go and hunt the jobs when there is already job scarcity. NP's owner was so happy for this generosity if only he knew the real reason that this mastermind had buying the media house. After the registration of the company in the name of the new owner, the old owner left the place. All these negotiations were done under covers and no employee of NP knows about their new owner.

The reporter who published the article on the website was summoned to the owner's cabin. He was said that he got a promotion because of the article. And the reporter, the fool he is, took the words as truth and was jumping all the while. Even the doubt of his suspension came to his mind; he pushed it to the back of his mind. Sometimes more happiness blinds the people to see the truth. Same goes with the reporter who is just entering to the den of the lion, to be more precise lions.

The man made his entry with a beaming smile anticipating a promotion for his job well done. He stopped in his tracks at the door when he saw the room is dark where all the lights of the office are shining brightly. He knows his boss is a weirdo and so entered his cabin without further thought. When he finally entered the room, the lock was clicked in its place by someone else and the room is flooded with lights everywhere.

'Welcome Mr. Sharma.' a voice said from the other side of the chair.

There is no need for introductions to the voice of the owner. He very well knows him and a chill so vicious that would have snapped his spinal cord to pieces ran through his spine. How would he run from this man now? He is trying to open the door to bolt out of it when he saw the people at every corner of the room showing up from their hideout. He is doomed to eternity. He cannot escape now when the people who treat Radhika like their baby are in front of him. Hitesh and Pawan are having their infamous I-will-kill-you-if-I-get-my-hands-on-you looks, whereas Vikas and Arjun are cool as a cucumber. But Arjun is not in his regular white shirt paired with coloured trousers, instead, he was dressed as suave business attire. Anyone who sees him like this has to rub the heels of their palms on their eyes to believe he is real. Is this even real? Of course, it is. Hell with the reality, he is going to escape now. But how when the Chief Minister of the state is standing in front of him like a modern day Lucifer? He should be thankful for his stars for he is still alive considering the looks of the people in the room.

'I see you get the reason for our little visit Mr. Sharma.' Asked Vikas.

'Oh! Of course, I do. Do you think I am a dolt?' Mr. Sharma asked nervously. If he has to make out of this room alive, he should trick them properly.

'Is there a need to explain that?' Pawan said.

'Why will there be a need when the person in honour has accepted he is dolt!' Exclaimed Hitesh.

Arjun and Vikas are smiling at this exchange. They are so gonna enjoy the scene that is going to unfold next.

'I know I am going to be murdered in this very room but you all will not leave this room with those smug smiles on your faces. My owner will come and save me anytime when he sees my chair was empty at my cube.' Mr. Sharma said knowing he has to buy some time from these people so that his boss will come to his rescue. His boss may be a weirdo but he will not leave his employees for the pack of wolves.

'To hell, he will.' Said Pawan and Hitesh and was about to get hold of the reporter's collar but stepped back when Arjun signed them not to.

Pawan and Hitesh were trying their level best not to laugh hard but the reporter didn't leave them a chance. They were rolling on the floor when they got to see the reporter's confused face. His reasoning power has taken leave or else how come he didn't see the reason of them being in his owner's cabin. Such a shame! People took his words and insulted Radhika, if only they knew what a fool he is.

When the room fell silent after the laughter session, Arjun gave a gift box to Mr. Sharma and told him to open it. A pair of binoculars has fallen out from the gift box. Mr. Sharma didn't understand a bit of why the chief minister will gift him binoculars.

'I get it you didn't understand the reason of me gifting you a pair of binoculars. Let me explain it to you. Now put the binoculars in the direction I point to you and see through them.' Said Arjun.

The reporter did as he said. What else he can do other than follow orders!

'Say hello to your new friend. He is watching you from far in the same way.' Arjun said next.

'Who is he, Mr. Mehra?'

'He is your new sniper friend and very close friend of Vikas. He recommended the guy to me when I explained to him what I want.' Said Arjun.

Arjun is a man of many faces. Mr. Sharma knows that too but the reason of his summons to the room, the introduction of new sniper friend, what is this all about? It cannot be what he was thinking. Murder in a closed room when one of these four is attacker cannot be ignored but if it is a sniper no one will be able to catch the sniper. By the time he fell to the ground, the sniper would vanish into thin air and there will be no proof for his murder and his case will be closed before investigation second phase.

'What do you guys want me to do?'

'Now he got the point.' Said Hitesh.

'Yes, he did.' Seconded Vikas.

'Oooo!! I so love this.' Pawan said with his brilliant smile rubbing his hands.

'Okay!! You need to keep an eye on civil supplies minister.' Said Arjun.

'What?' Mr. Sharma said in a shout.

His shout has left the ears drumming of the people in the room. Thank heavens, Vikas got the room sound proofed or else people would have been hovering on the other side of the door by now.

'Don't shout mister. You lost the right of saying "No" when you entered this cabin. You so enjoy snooping on people's personal lives, right? So you are going to do the same thing that you have done earlier. But only the direction of the wind is changing.' Said Vikas.

How did he get stuck in all this? He only wanted a promotion and so he snooped on the powerful people for the news. And now he is facing the consequences. These people will not leave him until he says yes. Either he says yes and leaves the cabin to do his job or die in the cabin like a no one. Either way, he is screwed.

'What if I say no even then?' asked the reporter for the last time.

'You will die either by doing our work or not doing it. You cannot escape the death from our sniper friend. We are just saying to prolong your lifetime by helping us and you are unable to see the benefits of this deal.' Arjun said with a calm voice as if he is explaining all this to a child.

'You will kill me just because I insulted your wife?'

'There is no "just" when it comes to my loved ones and I love my wife. Whoever insults her will have to answer me.' said Arjun unable to contain his rage because of the blabbering of this reporter. The reporter is totally empty on the top floor, now he knew why NP is so famous among people-thought Arjun sarcastically.

'You want me to follow civil supplies minister, why? Anyone from Mr. Malhotra's office could have done that. There is a risk in following the minister. He is cruel to an edge.'

'I don't want Vikas to lose his best employees because of me. And moreover, I have to extract my revenge on you for insulting my wife.' Said Arjun with a shrug.

'So my death is inevitable.' Murmered Mr. Sharma.

'Exactly our point.' Said Pawan.

'And also remember one thing; do not ever try to play a double game with me. Our sniper friend will be with you 24*7. You play a double game and you will be taken away from the living world. Take this as a thumb rule. You talk about this with other people and you are dead.' Said Arjun as his final word and left the room followed by Vikas, Hitesh and Pawan who gave scathing looks to the reporter.

The reporter is really fortunate to make it alive after the looks of these people that should have killed him in that place. So he is now working unofficially for the chief minister spying civil supplies minister and he does not even know the reason.

'What did you do to that idiot reporter? Why are the NP media house papers on your name Vikas? Did you buy the company?' asked Radhika standing in front of the four guys who are watching TV passing popcorn from one end of the sofa to the other end, which by the way got enlarged when two more idiots are added in the family.

The four guys shrugged their shoulders as if it is not a big deal and resumed watching TV where a monkey is showing it's scratching skills, that is they are watching National Geographic channel.

The great insult of all the times.

These guys didn't even bother to answer her and watching the TV as if their lives are dependent on that. How dare they ignore her? Her? Radhika Mishra Mehra will not take this insult casually. When she was about to say something; Pawan, Hitesh and Vikas turned their heads to Arjun.

Arjun gave an exasperated sigh and dragged Radhika to their bedroom.

'You want us to cheer you with wolf whistles for dragging our sister from the room without any hustle, brother-in-law Arjun?' shouted Hitesh from the living room.

'He is hit in the head, you know.' Said Arjun when they were totally out of earshot.

'Your brother is no saint.' Huffed Radhika.

'Copy Kitten.' Said Arjun tweaking her nose with a smile on his face.

'That does not be any help to dodge my question.' Said Radhika swatting off his hand.

Arjun sighed. How is he supposed to escape questions from his reporter wife? He should use another tactic now. What can help him other than a kiss at this situation? God help him, he missed kissing her. He moved forward and cupped her face in his hands all the while looking at her lips.

'That does not help either.' Whispered Radhika trying to push him farther. He did not move an inch. She should have learned the lesson by this time that he will not move an inch under her ministrations of getting away from him.

The kiss was left in the mid air because of the sound on other side of the bedroom startling them both.

There in the doorway sat or to be precise laid flat on the ground were Pawan, Hitesh and Vikas. Each one on the top of the other in the sequence mentioned earlier.

'What are you guys doing here?' asked Radhika.

'We are trying to help each other out in the gym session.' Grumbled Pawan who is kissing the ground and was unable to stand up because of the weight of Hitesh and Vikas.

'Never mind. I am going to serve the dinner. Mr. Spoon, you are going to help me with that.' Said Radhika and left the room with a huff.

'That can happen only when your brothers lift their butts to the standing position.'

The matter being left for this while, Arjun walked out the room too by saying "Good job guys" and patting Vikas' shoulder. He didn't know how they ended one top of another.

When all of them sat at the dining table, Pawan being lifted from the ground and prepared the dining table, the conversation of falling on each other started.

'How did you guys do that?' asked Radhika.

'Oh, that! We thought to listen how Arjun is going to console you. So Pawan here kept his ear to the door, I plastered my ear to Pawan's other ear and Vikas did the same as me.' Explained Hitesh with a duh look.

'Is this some kind of physics experiment like how do you know sound travels? How did you get expect sound being traveled from Pawan's ear to yours?' asked Arjun. He is thankful for the distraction but he is not thankful for disturbing his kiss.

'We know that. Just trying to lighten up the mood.' Said Vikas and stuck his tongue out to Radhika who is looking at him with daggers in her eyes.

After the dinner, all the remaining guys left the home leaving the wife and husband to their sanctuary.

~~~~~

End of the seventeenth chapter. I don't know how much it met your expectations. But this chapter has taken the longest time to finish in the history of misconceptions; it has taken me three days to finish this sweetheart. Hope you guys liked the punishment Arjun has given to the reporter.

Arjun is not the owner of the media house because the politicians in India should not hold any profit making organization in their name, and so Vikas came into the picture.

Defamation is one of the regular happenings. In India, if a person is defamed, the court can order the guilty to pay the compensation or the aggrieved party can accept the apology of the guilty and leave the matter as it is. I wanted to show the legal remedies as well as the revenge Arjun is going to seek from the reporter and the media house. So yeah, that's why the steps became necessary.

If you have any other doubts, do let me know I'll answer them as best as I can.

Don't forget to vote and comment on the chapter. I love to read your reviews.

Have a great day and love you all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

234K 10.8K 67
Two people came together and became one. They started their life with some Promises, which make their life a beautiful journey. They are two differen...
110K 6.2K 23
I wish it would've happened like this like we were always meant to be together, nothing was there between us to pull us apart-but you had different p...
765K 23K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
105K 4.5K 37
• BOOK 2 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • It's not compulsory to read the first book, Meant To Be His [MTBS #1] in order to read this but it's recommended to...